Video Game You Last Played?

I've been waiting a long time for this, but now I'm finally ready to play through all those Lego video games on my Steam account. (But since I can set aside only two days per week, it'll probably take me over a month to complete each of these games, so it's fair to say that I'll be busy for quite a while.)

First up; LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - the Video Game

Of all the Lego games that came out prior to the Lego Movie, this was the only one I originally had any interest in, so it seemed like a natural choice for me to try first. I've only just started playing today, but I'm already liking it.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

• 2 weeks later...

Tesla vs Lovecraft

It hasn't actually released yet (launching late January, 20-something), but there are some perks to being a reviewer  :D

It's a funky twin-stick shooter mashing bonkers fantasy Nikola Tesla inventions like a mech, teleportation backpack and electric weapons with Lovecraftian horrors as enemies, and it's a ridiculous amount of fun. Levels are really bite-sized - think 2-3 minutes each - but the whole game has a lot of content going for it, and it's great entertainment. It's also really, really silly. 

but in a good way

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

• 3 weeks later...

Darkest Dungeon

Fun little dungeon crawler of sorts where you fighting eldritch horrors in order to reclaim the land your ancestor essentially forsake in his conquest of power and greed. It's fun and decently challenging. Actually, it's a very challenging game. I made it easier on myself and still find difficulties and hard moments, but it's a fantastic game. The style is great, the aesthetics on point, and the narration is nothing short of amazing.

Definitely the sort of game I like coming back to when I have the time to.

Press preview of Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. Embargo was lifted yesterday, so this comment shouldn't get me blacklisted  :P

The game is huge amounts of fun. The combat is a tad challenging, but then you can always level up a few times and return to encounters that got the best of you - unavoidable progression encounters are decently balanced. Challenging, but fair. The new setting, the Deadfire Archipelago reminds me of Bionicle so much. Despite every locale being a tropical island, there are multiple separate biomes. From a lush jungle island I went over to a desert island no unlike Po-Wahi. 

Interestingly enough, Maori culture and language was used as inspiration and basis in POE2 as well. Tribe chieftains are, for example, called Ranga Nui, which is basically " great leader". 

It's mostly a prettied up POE with a bunch of refinements, but I'm okay with that since POE was near perfect. Then there is the whole ship thing, the biggest addition to the game which really is game changing. Ship combat is unlike something I've encountered in a game before, and I love sailing around the map. Can't wait for the game's full release (which I'll be reviewing  :D  )

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

I finished LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean last week. I have to say, this is definitely one I'd consider among my favorites. Being rather small and quick among Lego games (such as my old favorite, the Lego Movie Videogame), I feel like this is something that I can later come back to and play entirely through all over again without wasting too much time. In fact, I'm sure I could've finished this game a week earlier had I not wasted so much time collecting studs in the hub area between every level, but I guess that'll happen when I have no idea how much I'll actually need for all possible purchases (nor the fact that it turns out I get a huge stud bonus for collecting all ten minikits in a level, with a really massive bonus for doing so in every level). Either way, even though I've just recently started going through all these Lego games, Pirates of the Caribbean is one that I'd definitely rank among my favorites.

Next game for me; LEGO Harry Potter - Years 1-4

My expectations for this game are rather low (I've got it early on my list of Lego games to play, mostly because I just want to get it over with and move on to the better ones), but I'm still going to try it and see for myself if this game is any good or not (and hopefully I won't encounter any of those infamous glitches I've heard about).

• 2 weeks later...

Got Kingdom Come: Deliverance (KCD) last Friday for PS4, and except today I have been playing it non-stop over the weekend and after I get home from work. Been waiting for a game like this for a LONG time, a historical RPG that combines Elder Scrolls with Mount and Blade. It is set in the year 1403, in the late-medieval Kingdom of Bohemia, which the German Holy Roman Empire has since set it's capital in Prague and German colonists rule over Czech natives, and is in the events that lead up to the demise of Jan Hus and the ensuing Hussite Wars (which is prime and epic grounds for a potential sequel). You play as Henry, the lowly son of a village blacksmith, and after distant warfare gets close to home and destroys your life, you seek either justice or revenge (depending on how you play him), and you make this empty slate of a young man into your own as you play as him.  As Prague and Jan Hus are mentioned a lot in-game, I hope I get to see the city recreated in this time-frame and meet that inspirational thinker.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 3 weeks later...

I finished LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 last week. If you're a Harry Potter fan or you're only interested in playing through just the story mode, then I suppose this game would be okay, but for someone like me who's not much of a fan and wanted to go all the way to 100% completion, I was ultimately not pleased with this game. First of all, unlike virtually all other Lego games, it doesn't allow you to save whenever you want to; it will only autosave when you accomplish something like complete a level or collect a bonus item, so that's rather inconvenient. Also, to obtain every character ability you'd need to complete the game, even with the help of a guide, I still had to really figure out where I could possibly unlock such characters (while most Lego games unlock characters (some automatic, others need to be purchased) as you complete levels, this is one of those few kinds where you have to collect tokens to unlock every character), so there's another major inconvenience. Some more major inconveniences come when you're exploring in the hub area; any studs you collect or breakable objects you destroy don't respawn (unlike virtually all other Lego games); switching between characters is only possible at specific locations, so if you enter certain rooms without the right types of characters already selected, then you're pretty much trapped in there with no way to escape; these factors lead to the risk that this game could possibly become technically impossible to complete if you're not careful enough at certain points (and since it took me over 50 hours of gameplay time to complete the game, the possibility that something could happen to force you to completely restart from the very beginning seems just downright unacceptable to me). Needless to say, although I did successfully reach 100% game completion, this is one Lego game I won't be playing ever again.

Next game for me; LEGO Harry Potter - Years 5-7

Since this is the other Harry Potter game, my expectations are that this one will be just as problematic as the first one, but I won't know for sure until I try it out (but much like with the first one, I'll be watching some playthrough videos on YouTube so I can be absolutely sure that I can minimize any chances of getting stuck somewhere).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 last week. Although this one definitely had some improvements over the other Harry Potter game, I would still rank this one among my least favorite Lego games. One significant improvement is that, as far as I could tell, there are no situations that certain minor mistakes could leave the game impossible to complete, so although some things still need to be done in a certain order, at least there's no fear of having to restart from the very beginning. Switching between characters is a little easier, though still not as easy as it is in other Lego games. Although unlocking characters is still troublesome with needing to collect tokens, at least most of the ones needed to access new areas are a little easier to find and grab. The one thing that makes Years 5-7 actually worse than Years 1-4 is just how ridiculously expensive it is to purchase some certain characters once you've unlocked them (for example, Lord Voldemort is obviously the most expensive one of all, costing 1,000,000 studs in Years 1-4, but in Years 5-7, the cost for him is 25,000,000 studs). Also, much like the previous game, this one is autosave only, so again there's not much control over where you can reach a good stopping point. To put it simply, although it wasn't quite as bad as the other Harry Potter game, it uses the same system that I'm not fond of, so I'd rank this as my second least favorite Lego game. (And for the record, yes, I did reach 100% game completion.)

Next game for me; LEGO Indiana Jones - The Original Adventures

I just started playing this one today and based on my first impressions, it looks like this will be a rather short and simple game (kind of like Pirates of the Caribbean), so hopefully it won't take me too long to complete this one.

Tales of the Tohunga! 

yep! just got my copy new and sealed in the mail recently and started playing the training part of it! 

it automatically took me back to 2001! i'll continue to play and hopefully beat the game! :) 

still need to get Matoran Adventures! 

Bloodbourne

The pain this gives my head... but I do love the dreamy haze and victorian fashion with gothic architecture.

Edited by The Hip Historian Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Bought pokemon ultra moon a couple months ago. Really liked the game, especially since the last pokemon games I played were HGSS. I got held up for about a month trying to shiny hunt Giratina in the ultra wormhole, but finally after taking a few weeks off from hunting I found him in 20 minutes, pummeled the E4, and now I'm having a lot of fun IV breeding and training some awesome 'mons!

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

Crusader Kings II

Trying out the mod After The End, which takes place North America centuries after the collapse of our globalized civilization and a hundred years prior to the start humanity has re-entered the medieval age. funnily, the game starts in the year 2666. nice one developers. :lol: I am playing as the chieftain of Phoenix, belong to what the game refers to as a 'heresy' of Evangelicalism (it closely aligns with what i believe in myself, screw the HRE-rip-off theocratic evangelical empire on the East coast) and am fighting to create the Kingdom of Arixas (which might as well be called Arizona) under my religion and convert the southwest people who worship (basically)  Fallout's Atom. I have formed the duchy-level Tribe of Arizona in the middle of the former-state so I feel that I may have some success. The catholic cowboy-knight states in Texas, the powerful kingdom of Deseret to my north, and the New Agist-Solar Empire of California have me and the tribals in the area surrounded so i need to unify quickly or else be absorbed. I plan on expanding southward to get a port in the Baja Sea, as it has always been a guilty dream of mine that arizona get seafront property. :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 3 weeks later...

I finished LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures last week. It was a relatively small and quick game, but that didn't make it easy. In some areas, the endless attacks by enemies tended to be rather problematic, especially considering that you lose a lot more studs if you die from enemy attacks than by other causes like falling off a ledge. Some of the bonus items were especially frustrating to collect, and even though there were a couple bonus levels where the objective was to collect a million studs, you're apparently not allowed to keep those studs afterword, so I had to do a lot of collecting for studs multiple times in the hub area just to afford the most expensive items (in this case, the red box abilities of stud multipliers). Even though you can't really choose any particular character most of the time, at least you can easily use ones with the abilities you need for each area (provided, of course, that you've even purchased any of the characters with such abilities, but at least that part is very easy). Even though this game was way better than the Harry Potter games, I wouldn't exactly rank this one among my favorites, so although I wouldn't mind playing it again, there are other Lego games I'd rather play again instead.

Next game for me; LEGO Indiana Jones 2 - The Adventure Continues

I just started playing this one today, and my first impressions are that this is definitely quite a unique Lego game, though I can't yet say for sure if that makes it good or not, so we'll see once I eventually finish it.

Edited by Chronicler06

Last game I fiddled with was Fallout: New Vegas. Before that i tried out Apotheon (is a great game but runs terribly on my PC, should look into getting it for PS4), as well as Civ V (while it is not a bad game, it wasn't my cup of tea. History is much more dynamic and 'full' then what the game makes it out to be).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Conan Exiles non-stop recently. Anyone else here play this on the PS4? It would be nice to be able to play with other people.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek: Online

Besides two movies that I haven't seen in forever (save the whales movie and the first JJ Abrams reboot movie) and the one classic tribble episode, I never dabbled in Star Trek, and having made a Space Skrall custom race character on the side of the Klingon Empire. I have found this all to be pretty interesting. it is also cool to have Worf give you missions and voice your "level up", so I get to hear the voice of the Great Spirit Mata Nui again. :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I finished LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues last week. I have to say, there is definitely no other Lego out there that is structured quite like this one. All of the different sections of the game feel like their own separate games, such as characters and vehicles that are unlocked in certain areas can only be used in their respective areas and nowhere else. Also, while other games have levels that can be played in either story mode or freeplay mode, this game has different types of levels, such as story levels (story events with no bonus items), treasure levels (the goal is to collect the minikit at the end), and bonus levels (same as treasure levels, but designed like a custom level). This game even includes a level builder, where you can create your own custom levels (although using certain parts of it are necessary for 100% completion of the entire game). Aside from a few particularly frustrating levels, I actually liked this game quite a lot and certainly wouldn't mind playing it again, though much like with the first Lego Indiana Jones game, there are other Lego games that I'd prefer over this one.

Next game for me;  LEGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga

I just started playing this today, and although I'm already somewhat familiar with it thanks to Twitch Tuesday, I'm already seeing certain details that I never noticed before (which is why I wanted to play all these Lego games myself to begin with). This is the oldest game on my list, so it'll be interesting to see just how different this game is from some of the later ones that I'm already familiar with.

Edited by Chronicler06

Final Fantasy X HD.

First FF experience. Had no idea what was going on for like 40-50 minutes, but then afterwards it starts becoming coherent. Liking it so far.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dishonored: Definitive Edition for PS4.

It's like a fantasy, Victorian Deus Ex, and it's really cool!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Bionicle: Heroes for the GBA! 

very fun run'n'gun shoot 'em up game! only downside; TOO MANY ENEMIES!! 

and i die almost every time i try to kill all them! very frustrating BUT fun and addicting at the same time! 

beat it twice now! might go for a third soon! :D

UPDATE: i beat the game a third time! all slots full! i guess i'll try another Bionicle GBA game! :)

Edited by Tufi Piyufi
Please don't bypass the word filter.

I finished LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga last week. Since this is the oldest of all the Lego games I'm trying to play through, I knew this one would lack some features seen in later games, but I was quite surprised by just how clunky it felt in comparison to later games. (One interesting thing to note is that the original releases of this game came out at around the same time as Bionicle Heroes, so I found it interesting that one similarity they shared is that all purchasable items must be bought at a single shop in the hub area.) One of my biggest issues with this game is just how difficult it is to simply attack; a lightsaber pauses a little too long after most swings to be very effective, a blaster can't even be targeted so you can only try to face the right direction as you shoot, and characters without either of them can't even attack at all. There's also some features that don't appear in any other Lego game, such as the levels having not just story mode and freeplay mode, but also challenge mode (find ten canisters in under twenty minutes) and super story mode (complete all six story levels of a movie in under one hour while also collecting over 100,000 studs). I found the challenge mode interesting, but the super story mode just went so much against my gameplay style that I had to rely on watching a walkthrough video to make sure I could actually get it done. As much as I liked some aspects of this game, there were just so many challenges needed to reach 100% completion that I'm actually going to rank this game on the lower end of my favorites. (Not to mention, it took me much longer to complete this game than it did for all the other Lego games I've played so far.)

Next game for me; LEGO Star Wars III - The Clone Wars

I just started playing today, and already I'm liking this game much more than the previous one. After finishing that old clunker of a game, this one feels much more like a proper Lego video game. Even though I'm familiar with how the story content will go (courtesy of Twitch Tuesday), I'm definitely looking forward to what else this game will have to offer.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 1 month later...

I finished LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars last week. This game definitely feels a lot smoother than the previous Lego Star Wars game, and I really liked many of the features that were introduced with this game. I especially liked how some of the levels were structured like an RTS game where you have to build bases and destroy enemy bases, which I don't think exists in any other Lego game. In addition to the levels, there's also plenty of other bonus missions (including even more of those RTS type of levels) with time limits that I found to be rather reasonable for most of them. I had no idea that collecting all the minikit parts in each level in freeplay would reward me with so many studs, so I had ended up wasting too much time between levels when I was going through story mode collecting studs in the hub areas (a similar problem I had with Lego Pirates of the Caribbean). But the biggest issue I had with this game was that certain characters and other items could only be unlocked after completing certain bonus missions or purchasing certain other characters and vehicles, so the fact that you really need to figure out how to obtain those last few things makes reaching 100% completion a little tricky. Although that extra effort is needed for the freeplay content, I still found it to be a rather nice game.

Next game for me; LEGO Batman - The Videogame

I just started playing today, and although the actions and controls make it rather obvious that this is among one of the oldest Lego games, I actually like what I'm seeing so far. Since there seems to be very little to do outside of the levels (both story mode and freeplay mode), I've got a good feeling that this game could end up being like one of those relatively small and simple Lego games that I've enjoyed the most so far.

A relatively obscure FPS from 2007 called Alpha Prime. It's kind of a fast-food game that isn't really going to put players into existential crises by the sheer force of its narrative, nor does it have groundbreaking gameplay, but it has a fun hacking mechanic, nice gunplay and decent visuals for its era. In fact, I kind of prefer there mid-early 3D over today's super detailed, super realistic visuals. It's probably nostalgia, but I'd take a game that looks like Alpha Prime/Jedi Outcast/Half-Life 2 over the latest extremely high graphical fidelity stuff. 

Voice acting is horrible, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Soul Calibur VI. Character creation is fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a mistake.

Since I got engaged to my wife, I have pretty much given up gaming. My reasons were many, but it primarily had to do with a shift in my priorities and the fact that I left my gaming computer at my parents’ house. At the time I moved out and even now, I don’t have much time to use it anyway, and my brother has invested as much money into that computer as I have. He may call it mine, but he has as much a right to own it as I do, so I just left it with him until or unless he decides to buy his own.

Regardless, I have played probably a combined total of 5 or so hours since last November. However, due to circumstances in which my wife attended a wedding as a plus one for her sister, I spent this last Saturday hanging out with my dad and brother at my parents’ house. Having caught up on life and played a game of Uno, I decided to jump back into the last game I played just to pass some time and get some nostalgia kicks.

And that, my friends, was my mistake.

See, if there were any game series I could truly consider my weakness, and if I could name any game series that I have missed and often wished I could play again, it would be the Dark Souls series. I don’t know what it is about those games that I enjoy so much, but every time I get more than an hour into them, I get hooked—almost to the point of obsession.

The particular entry I played that Saturday was Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin, which I have before considered my least favorite in the series, though I still enjoy it. I didn’t make much progress due to the limited time I had to play, but that hour or two was all I needed. I felt that old obsession creeping back in. Five days later, and I still haven’t stopped thinking about it. I’ve spent much of my free time at work scouring wikis to read about bosses and locations and enemies and weapons and the different magic. I keep wondering when another opportunity will arise in which I can play again.

Few other games have affected me like each game in the Dark Souls series has. I wouldn’t consider myself an expert on any entry and I’m probably a middling player at best, but I so thoroughly enjoy the experience. Even when the games frustrate me or annoy, I cannot deny the sense of accomplishment when making it past another boss or another tough area in the game. I cannot stop thinking about the different builds I could try, or how I might have handled one boss or encounter differently. These games represent the pinnacle of why I enjoy gaming: it’s not just a pastime or hobby, but a great mental challenge—not just against the developer’s efforts, but against myself. Can I alter my strategy that keeps failing to make it work? Can I utilize weapons or tactics that go against what I’m comfortable with to progress through an area I’m stuck in? Can I make it past the next challenge?

It may be another couple months before I again get the chance to play, but you can bet that when I do, the obsession, which will probably ebb in the meantime, will return again in full force. And I’m okay with that.

• Upvote 1

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

• 2 weeks later...

I finished LEGO Batman: The Videogame earlier this week. This game doesn't have much going on aside from the levels, but that doesn't make it easy by any means. First of all, the fact that there are hero levels and villain levels means that there are quite a lot of levels in this game. Being able to have Batman and Robin switch costumes to use different abilities is a neat feature, in addition to later getting to play as the various villains. I suppose what really bothers me in this game is that some of the bonus items to unlock in freeplay mode can be quite difficult to obtain, so while I did enjoy this game, I wouldn't quite put it up there among my favorites.

Next game for me; LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes

This was the first Lego game in which the characters actually speak, but even though I've only just started playing it today, I'm already seeing just how dramatically different it is from any of the eight older Lego games (and how most later Lego games have pretty much stayed similar to this one in many ways). Most notably for me, this will be the first time I'll be playing a Lego game that has a really vast and open world for the hub area, and it's honestly gotten me a little worried about getting frequently lost once I finish the story levels and attempt going for 100% completion.

Edited by Chronicler06

Crusader Kings II. I got back into this game after the recent major update - this time, playing in Norway from the 867 start. I'm already finding it's a little bit broken, because I managed to found the Kingdom of Norway with my first ruler, less than 10 years after the start date :P .

Then again, this game has a habit of hating you, and taking away that which it's given to you - so, we'll see! 

Edited by Kahu Rider 13

• 4 weeks later...

I finished LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes last week. This was the first game to include numerous features that are now practically standard for all the latest Lego games: the characters speak, levels are arranged into a single series, there are save points throughout the levels so you won't loose progress, and the hub area is a single very massive region to explore. I especially liked how you could pull up a map and use the "scan" feature to help keep track of which items have yet to be collected or purchased throughout the hub area. Although this game does have a couple issues (you can't save whenever you want to and can only use the auto save from accomplishing something, and that you have to switch costumes only in certain locations means you'll inevitably find yourself needlessly backtracking quite a lot while playing the levels in freeplay mode), I still enjoyed it quite a lot, and would very much like to play it again if I ever get a chance to do so.

Next game for me; LEGO The Lord of this Rings

I'm actually going to wait until next week (after new year's day) before I start playing this game, which is now the only Lego game for which I have not yet seen any content of at all (either by playing myself or watching someone else play). And since this actually happens to be my least favorite franchise of any Lego game, I have serious doubts I'll like it much, but I'll still try it anyway just to find out definitively for myself.

Since I've now completed all of the Lego games I was hoping to have done by the end of this year, I'll now list them here with my most favorite at the top and my least favorite at the bottom:

The LEGO Movie Videogame

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - The Videogame

LEGO Batman 2 - DC Super Heroes

LEGO Indiana Jones 2 - The Adventure Continues

LEGO Star Wars III - The Clone Wars

LEGO Batman - The Videogame

LEGO Indiana Jones - The Original Adventures

LEGO Star Wars - The Complete Saga

LEGO Harry Potter - Years 5-7

LEGO Harry Potter - Years 1-4

Edited by Chronicler06

• 1 month later...

I finished LEGO Lord of the Rings a few days ago. For a storyline I have almost no interest in, this game was actually quite decent. One thing I liked from the older games was being able to pick up and use items laying around, and this game sort of brings that back by being able to collect items that you can then select from a list to use anywhere, many of which provide special abilities. Also, not only is there plenty of gold bricks (mythril bricks for this particular game) to find in exploring the hub world, but you can use the bricks you've collected to forge special items you can also use. Plus, the designs to be able to forge those items are also things that you must find and collect. All of this together makes for a very interesting system of reaching 100% completion, though some items turned out to be frustrating difficult to collect (such as the running areas of some levels and some of the obstacle courses throughout the hub world). While this game is hardly among my favorites, I will acknowledge objectively that it's actually a rather good game.

Next game for me; LEGO The Hobbit

From this point on, for all of the remaining Lego games I have not yet played, I'm already familiar with at least the story content (thanks to the Twitch Tuesday streams over the last few years), but I'll always look forward to finding out what else these games have to offer beyond the story content. For Hobbit, I'm expecting most of the same things as Lord of the Rings, except for some new features and gameplay mechanics added in.