Multiversal Collision

Krayzikk

OOC: The witch was proven as such when her weight was measured equally against that of a duck.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

OOC: Amusing Monty Python reference.

IC: "What happened to you?" Dr. Millstone asked as the sailor approached him.

"I don't know," the man said in response. "One moment things were going fine. Next thing I know I can't get these things off my hand!"

"That's certainly not normal behaviour for common Earthworms. I don't know if there's much I can do but if you like I can take a look at that hand, Mr..."

"Montgonel," replied the mate.

"Right," replied Dr. Millstone. "We may have more pressing matters on our hands, though. Davidson, tell him what you told me."

Edited by Atton Rand

(IC: John Davidson / The Capulet)

"Pirating ship. Erde. You know which one I'm talking about." he replied. The First Mate nodded grimly, before quickly turning and heading off. Almost immediately upon stepping into the center of the open deck, he began calling out the alarm. The whole ship began whirring to life as everyone began preparing themselves in the ways they knew best.

OOC: I admit to a limited knowledge of civilian naval procedures, particularly with this time period.

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

OOC: That's okay. I have the same problem.

IC: "I'd better get down below," Dr. Millstone said. "We have a wounded man there I'll need to make sure he's safe."

Quickly, he ran towards the ship's staterooms. Here and there were panicked crewmen struggling to get into action and terrified passengers. Finally he reached the lower deck and the long hall of cheap staterooms. He walked at a fast pace towards his own room and opened the door to find Will still asleep on one of the beds. Dr. Millstone approached the pilot and slowly shook him awake.

"Come on," he said. "We've got trouble. There's pirates coming. I have to get you somewhere safe."

IC: "I don't know the details," Dr. Millstone said as he helped Will to his feet. "Mr. Davidson said they're from a place called Erde. I can only assume that's from another universe. What I do know is that there is a very great danger and as your doctor it is my responsibility to keep you safe."

IC: William

William uttered a few curses under his breath and scrambled for his backpack. He undid the holster on its side and pulled out his pistol, checking the magazine before disabling the safety. The second he tried to lift it, however, something in his shoulder protested sharply. He grabbed the barrel of the gun in his other hand and held out the handle to Dr. Millstone.

"You should probably have this. Well, if you know how to use it, of course."

67tlbk.png

IC: Dr. Millstone hesitated, but reluctantly he took the weapon from Will. "If you insist," he said. "Now we need to find a safe place to hide you, and maybe some of the other passengers while we are at it. The pirate ship was barely visible when we spotted it so it should take them some time to get to us. Hopefully that will be enough time to get everyone hidden. I don't suppose you saw a good spot somewhere when you boarded?"

OOC: I was kind of hoping for another response from Zyke, but there's no time like the present!

The first part of this is mostly dialogue, as I do enjoy writing it from time to time.

"So, Davidson, how's it been since the war?" asked the first mate, looking out at the sea with his spyglass, shaking his hand off of a few of his newly acquired friend.

"I told you to not mix alchemical reagents with the captain's food." the Terran man replied as he looked out to the sea, his eyes narrowing in as the ship drew closer. There was little chance of it going past them - it was on a dead course. No doubt, they lacked an understanding of the more dangerous individuals on the ship. Like the guy who tricked the captain into becoming a newt so he could take full control of a ship."

"You're ignoring the question."

"And if I am?" he replied. "You made a new home in the Dominion. I made a new home on Earth. There's nothing left for us back on Terra but memories the governments are keeping covered up."

He looked over to see the first mate lighting a pipe. After a few moments, he blew out a smoke ring, saying, "Better that way. What you did was nearly an act of treason to both sides, and you know it."

"I followed our constitutions. I tried to warn the people what they were agreeing to... it's not my fault they didn't listen." he responded. "Then, perhaps it's better they didn't. Let them think their side is right. There is no pride or honor in war; only in soldiers. Or sailors, like yourself. Though admittedly, this is quite a different ship."

"Yet despite being on the ocean, it still manages to be the more sturdy and less shaky than those airships they tried using at the end of the war. Whoever thought something like that was a good idea should die."

"You were the one who agreed to captain it."

"... okay, truth there. Still, I kept the same watch since I was a lad, and yet that bloody thing managed to sink out of the air at least once a month. If not more. Come to think of it, I was a bit of a lummox, wasn't I?"

"Good fighter though. Looks like they're about to make the jump, based on that shimmer in the air..."

"Oh, lovely..." the first mate muttered. "Teleportation, just brilliant. Probably stolen Terran tech that they pirated, thinking about it. Oh well." He walked out to the deck, before shouting out to the crew.

"Alright men, looks like our lovely ship is about to get a visit by a Romeo of different sorts. Be prepared for anything that could happen, no matter how strange."

With that, there was a flash of light and thunder as the wooden ship rematerialized directly against the Capulet, with a host of cutlass wielding men onboard. The largest among them, a bearded mammoth who easily dwarfed the old crone who he had standing near him (no doubt their magic user!), pointed his blade and issued out a roar, sending the men charging out in a barbarian rage.

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

IC: Dr. Millstone slowly walked out of the stateroom, Will clinging to his side, half-able to walk. The doctor looked around, uncertain of what to do. At that moment, he heard the door to the upper deck open, and a crewman entered, running down the steps in a fit of panic. He noticed the open stateroom and approached. "Lock your door and barricade it," the man said.

"Are you sure about this?" Dr. Millstone asked.

"Yes," replied the crewman. "We're being attacked by pirates from Erde. They haven't boarded yet but they look like they mean business. Now get in there and barricade that door!"

He then went to the stateroom across the hall and knocked on the door. A young woman opened it, and was given the same instructions.

Hastily, Dr. Millstone turned back into the stateroom, placing Will on the bed. He then shut the door, and walked toward the small wooden table. It wasn't much but it would have to do. On his own the task was difficult, as he had to drag it across the carpeted floor, and then had to turn it towards the door. However, it didn't take him long to realize that this alone wouldn't be adequate protection. Moving the bed was out of the question, they were much too heavy and in his injured state Will was in no position to help.

He then reached for Will's gun, which he had attached to his belt, and slowly drew it, knowing he would have to be ready if the pirates came. If anyone showed up at the door there would only be two ways to escape. The first would be to attempt to fight their way out, though Millstone knew their odds of succeeding were unlikely due to their numbers, his inexperience in combat, and the fact that in his wounded state Will would be vulnerable. The other way out would be to climb out through the porthole on the side, in which case they would have to take their chances in open water.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC: "Probably not," Dr. Millstone said. "But we don't have much else we can use to barricade the door. I'm not sure I could move that bed on my own and I don't think you're strong enough to help. I think our best bet would be to try and remain quiet. Maybe they won't immediately notice us. If they do come this way we can try and escape through the porthole, maybe get someone to toss us a rope. The only trouble is in your state I don't know how well you'll be able to swim. We'll need something to help you stay afloat."

IC: Will

Will reached across the bed and grabbed a wrench off of a nearby table. He probably wouldn't be able to lift or swing it effectively, but it was better than nothing.

"We're headed for Earth, right?" he wondered aloud. "Well, Earth suppresses magical powers--I've seen it happen. If we maintain our course, we could gain an advantage."

67tlbk.png

OOC: A wrench? Would that be something that would just be conveniently lying around in a stateroom? I don't have particular issues with it, I was just somewhat surprised.

IC: Dr. Millstone

"That could work," Dr. Millstone said as he turned toward Will, slowly removing his coat, and tossing it aside. "The only trouble is I'd imagine these pirates are going to do everything in their power to see that doesn't happen, and if these people know magic as you claim then evading them is going to be more difficult. "

IC: Dr. Narys

Dr. Irina Narys looked around as she stepped off her transport and into the small military camp where she had been assigned. Officially she was an officer by nature, specifically a Captain, but she knew full well that she was not qualified for any sort of command. In matters of medicine she was competent enough but as far as combat proceedures went, even with basic training she could not hide her fear.

Her clothes were simple enough, just a set of fatigues, far from the quality of the Valkyrie Armor her world had become known for. She knew she would have to wear more sophisticated combat armor in the future, but for now this would do. All she had on hand was a small duffel bag containing a few personal belongings and a change of clothes.

There were only a few buildings, though she could see soldiers standing guard on each, while others went about the camp doing their various jobs. She was approached by one soldier, another woman in fatigues, with her hair tied back.

"You must be Captain Narys," the woman said. Narys nodded. "Yes," she said, slightly stuttering.

"Well," the woman replied. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Captain Sarany. I'm in charge of medical affairs. Would you come this way?"

The battle started with a display of the obvious superiority inherent in Earth/Dominion tech versus that of Erde's people. Almost immediately, the firing of rifles went off from the sailors, taking down the first few groups of pirates rather unceremoniously in a pile of blood and gore. However, that first set was all they got before the crone began projecting fields of magical energy to defend the pirates, as the leader began making his way forwards.

John took to firing laser blasts from his rod, taking out a few pirates. Creating a barrier to deal with his attacks was much more difficult than stopping actual physical objects, after all. Still, things were starting to get nasty as the pirates closed into melee, colliding with the sailors onboard the Capulet. Some were lucky enough to skewer attackers with bayonets; others were taken down in the wave.

Personally, the old Terran fighter chose to focus on the leadership, aiming laser blasts at the crone. They simply seemed to phase through her, to his astonishment. He began to realize then that she wasn't the real mage here - and as he fired off at the captain, the same thing occured. They were just magical, illusionary projections of some kind...

Clever. With that, he fired a few blasts and ran off the Capulet, intending to board the other ship.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:-

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

OOC: Ah, an interesting twist, so the witch is some kind of fantasy equivalent of a hologram?

(insert Red Dwarf joke here)

Dr. Millstone paced uncomfortably as he listened to the faint noises of shooting from above. There were sounds of panic as men and women scrambled into their rooms, desperately trying to hide from this seemingly horrific enemy. Millstone himself could not judge them, as he still had yet to even see any individual among the pirates, let alone the entire party.

A part of him wondered what had happened to Mr. Davidson. Last he saw the man was on deck, and he seemed to know what he was doing. However, he knew that he would be taking a big risk by looking for the man, since that would require him to leave the stateroom and risk exposing himself or Will to the pirates.

Carefully revaluating his options, Millstone turned toward the porthole in the ship. Slowly he turned the latch and opened it, resulting in a draft from the cool ocean breeze. As luck would have it they were on the opposite side from where the pirate ship was boarding, and in theory they could try to escape this route, though it would be problematic. Will was in no position to be swimming for any great lengths of time, and of course the water itself would probably be quite cold. He then looked up toward the deck, where he could still hear the noises of the crew.

Climbing up would be impossible, as the ship's hull lacked any solid handholds. The only way that could be done would be if someone were to throw a rope toward the window, in which case he could climb up on deck and in the confusion try to sneak off with Will in a lifeboat. Then again, they'd probably have just as much luck if they tried the same method by walking out the door and taking the stairs to the deck, and that would still run the risk of them getting caught in a crossfire.

Dr. Narys

Captain Sarany lead the young doctor into a small building which consisted of two beds, a table, and a washroom. "These will be your quarters," she explained. "You'll have to share with me for now. We're a bit limited on space, you see."

Dr. Narys quickly tossed her bag onto the floor and sat down on one of the beds. There was a brief period of silence. "I can give you a few hours to rest if you'd like, before I let you meet the Colonel?"

"That would be great," replied Narys, somewhat shyly.

Sarany smiled and slowly stepped outside. Narys quickly lay down on her bed and closed her eyes.

OOC: Narys is open for interaction if anyone would like to do so.

When John got onboard the other ship, he was immediately assaulted by an enemy brigand, who assaulted him with a rather shoddily made sword in melee range. Immediately, he made use of his suit's physical enhancements to dodge to the side, quickly uppercutting the brigand under the jaw before swatting him in the ear and temple, causing him to stumble back. It wasn't for long, however; John quickly put away his laser rod before grabbing the brigands arm as another of his companions charged him, swinging him at him.

Another charged immediately, this time assaulting him with a spear. Without his augmented speed, John would have had no chance to dodge; with it, he managed to barely evade the attack and grip the spear shaft, pulling it forward and the brigand with it. The pirate was greeted with a kick to the groin, and he collapsed to the ground.

A few others were coming up from below deck; most were occupied with the other adversaries on the field. More dangerously, a few of the Erde pirates who had succeeding in killing off the enemy crew were picking up their rifles and attempting to use them; mostly with disastrous results for themselves, but on a few occasions killing an unsuspecting Capulet crew member.

Quickly pulling his laser rod again, John fired a few blasts at a few of the pirates coming from below deck, striking them in the hand and causing their swords to drop. A few more blasts took a few of them out even before he got there, delivering a quick punch to the pirate... only to have it blocked. The large Erde pirate grabbed John by his arm and twisted it, causing him to let out a cry of pain, before pulling and slamming him into the deck.

John let out a groan as the large pirate looked down on him. He tried to raise his laser rod, but it was kicked far out of his hand; it rolled off and got stuck between a few crates. Before he could worry too much, he felt himself receive a painful kick to the head which came close to taking out a few teeth. It also served to daze him as the pirate grabbed his sword. Taking a moment to evaluate the situation, the brigand swung down to take out the attacker.

He wasn't done yet, though. John quickly rolled into the pirate, causing the blade to barely miss and get stuck in the wooden deck of the ship. Left without his primary weapon, he felt no shame striking the brigand exactly where it hurt, causing him to howl in pain and stumble back. On the rather slippery deck, John's standing was far from ceremonious, and gave the brigand enough time to recover. Worse still, the other pirates he had previously incapacitated but not killed were now coming back for more.

Which left him in a situation of four to one as they quickly began setting up position to flank him. One with a spear, two with swords, and of course the big nasty one he had just been fighting. He raised his arms, saying, "Alright then... hey, no need to make this any worse than it is, right?"

Dr. Millstone stood firm near the door, occasionally looking back towards his patient. For the most part there were no sounds from the outside hallway, although he could hear shouting and gunfire on deck through the open porthole. That was until he heard the growls of a few men slowly working their way down the stairs.

"Check the rooms," one of the pirates said, a sinister tone in his voice. Millstone could hear one of them taking an ax toward the door, followed by a woman's screaming from inside as they worked their way in.

Dr. Millstone carefully approached the door, raising Will's revolver and making sure to cock it. He took a deep breath, and pushed the desk aside slightly, opening the door by a crack. He could see three rugged men, dressed in medieval-looking clothes, and armed with knives and axes. No doubt these were some of the pirates John had warned him about. One man turned toward his open door, and then signalled to his comrade. "CHECK THAT ROOM!" The other man shouted.

Dr. Millstone quickly slammed the door as the pirate walked toward him. Breathing heavily, trying his hardest not to panic, he carefully backed away as an ax began to embed itself in the door. The desk, which still covered most of the door would clearly be useless. As soon as he saw the blade of the ax appear in the door, he raised the gun and fired, the bullet leaving visible damage to the wood as he heard a grunt. He slowly lowered the revolver in shock.

OOC: It would be nice to see more people post. We keep going through these periods of inactivity.

OOC: I'm sorry, as I'm a part of that. Sadly, though, one character is stuck waiting for a reply, and the other is somewhat-stuck in Terra waiting for interaction there, so..

Gah.

Eh, I'll try to help out here.

IC: Rikor (Border)

The walking skeleton turns to John, speaking as he does. Rikor attempts to raise an eyebrow for a second before remembering that it's really not possible.

"What, exactly, is 'Fantastic', sir? I doubt it's anything or one here, as nothing's occurred extremely recently. Hence my asking."

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

Sadly, though, one character is stuck waiting for a reply, and the other is somewhat-stuck in Terra waiting for interaction there, so..

OOC: Well, if it is of any help my character of Captain Narys is currently stationed in Terra and open for interaction. I'm assuming the character you're referring to is the Mech-Fairy, right? Poor Sierra's currently stuck in a shop window and needs someone to get her out. I can see why that would be a problem and I'll have to see if I can find a way to help.

Edited by Atton Rand

OOC: Okay, time to set up the interaction I've been discussing via PM today.

IC:

Dr. Narys

Captain Sarany slowly turned as she was approached by the Colonel, a somewhat rough-looking but clean man in his mid-late forties. She immediately saluted. "At ease," the Colonel said. "I understand you have a new girl."

"Yes," replied Sarany. "She seems rather nice."

"Where is she now?" The Colonel asked.

"Asleep in our quarters, sir. I figured she could use a few hours' rest before meeting you."

"Alright," replied the Colonel. "Just make sure to wake her if there's an emergency. In the meantime I'm expecting a package."

"Sir?" Sarany asked.

"It's some experimental technology," the Colonel explained. "An Artificial Intelligence Warning System. It was an experiment about a year ago. They haven't been widely distributed yet but I managed to locate one and place an order. If what I've heard about this thing is anything to go by, it could be a great help the unit."

OOC: I still need a name for the Colonel. I'm open to suggestions unless I think of something first.

Dr. Millstone could only stare at the door in shock as he held his gun by his side. Slowly he approached, noticing that he could hear a man groaning on the other side. Dropping the gun, he slowly opened the door as much as it could before it was blocked by the desk which had failed to serve as a barricade. He saw the pirate lying on the ground, clutching his shoulder in agony.

Another man, clad in armor drew his sword and pointed it at Millstone's throat. "Get out," he shouted. Reluctantly, Millstone complied, squeezing through the crack in the door and raising his hands to show he was unarmed.

Dr. Millstone briefly glanced down at the wounded man, then toward the man with the sword before telling him, "I'm a doctor, I can help your friend."

Edited by Atton Rand

OOC: I think Gorke Jenkenson sounds alright. Peater Jenkenson isn't half bad either.

Or of course there's plain old Joseph Smith. If you want to be boring. :P

Anyway, moving on to Sierra's description of a box! :D

IC: Sierra (Package, Enroute to base)

The Mech-Fairy sighs, staring once more at the ceiling of the nice box she's been put into while they ship her off to whoever the heck decided they wanted an extra pair of eyes 'round. She has a protective hard-plastic case around her wings, and lots of nice foam popcorn to keep her company in the little box.

Thud.

"Anndd now the ceiling's the wall again."

She's resorted to burning holes in the foam popcorn and projecting recent or interesting scenes from her life onto the wall. Leaning against the included solar/plug-in charger for her, and projecting onto some extra memory stored out of her body in chips and such, the mech-fae resigns herself to the long ride.

'Well, it was my choice to stay active for the ride..'

IC: Rikor (Border)

He laughs for a second before replying, humor still in his voice.

"I was simply asking what you thought was fantastic, sir. Though, if you're that absorbed in it, I'll let you get back to pondering it if you so wish. I'm simply curious."

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

OOC: A bit unusual, but that sounds like it would work in the setting.

IC: (Dr. Narys)

"Colonel Jenkensen," said a man as he approached the two officers, dressed in full combat gear, which proved to be a sharp contrast to the more common fatigues he and Sarina had been equipped with.

"What is it, Sergeant?" The Colonel asked.

"There's a transport at the gates. They said they're here for mail delivery."

"Excellent," replied the Colonel. "Send them in."

Sure enough, a large, armoured truck slowly pulled into the establishment, drawing a small cloud of dust behind it. One by one the soldiers not on duty began dropping what they were doing and running toward the vehicle in excitement.

The driver opened the door and climbed out of the vehicle, carefully working his way toward the back. He opened the doors and started calling out names as he removed the packages one by one, each of them carefully catalogued to ensure they were delivered to the right person. "Jameson, Henrik, Halderson..."

The sergeant was quick to approach at the mention of his name. He was handed a small metal box, vaguely resembling an envelope.

"Jenkensen," the driver announced. Jenkensen approached. "That's me," he said.

"I have a special delivery for you," said the driver, who motioned towards a small sealed box. "I was told to be careful with it. I've been reluctant to handle it out of fear of damaging the contents."

"Do you know what's in that box?"

"No," replied the driver. "I was under the impression that it was confidential."

"Not officially," replied Jenkensen. "Still, I wouldn't want the enemy knowing what we have in there."

"I understand, sir," replied the driver, who reached in and picked up the box as carefully as he could, and handed it to Jenkensen. "Thank you," said the Colonel.

The Driver saluted before turning back to the truck. Jenkensen turned toward Sarany. "You want to see what this is?" He asked. She smiled.

Jenkensen stood firmly as the other officers, with the exception of young Captain Narys, gathered together in the small building that served as a meeting room. "Gentlemen," he said. "The contents of this box I hope will be a valuable asset to our unit. I didn't want to make an official announcement until we were sure this would work, as we are one of the first to have such a device."

With that, Jenkensen carefully took a pocket knife and began to cut the seal. He then opened the box to reveal a small mechanical creature with butterfly-like wings.

"This little gadget basically functions as a set of extra eyes. I personally think it will be invaluable for scouting purposes."

IC: Sierra (Box, Base)

As soon as the car had stopped, the mech-fairy had shut off her recordings and started listening to the sounds outside, going over the information quickly.

Then, her box moves. Shaking just slightly, but held securely, it's soon passed to hands that are much more steady.

'Nervous but careful, passed to calm and expectant. Likely from deliveryman to my current 'owner'.'

And now walking.

--~~--

Thunk.

She stands at the sound of the box hitting a table, excited at the prospect of finally being used! And suddenly, the hard-covers thrown behind her after taking them off, she gets an idea.

That's why when they open it, the group of officers gets to look over her, seemingly inactive. At least, until one leans over the box for a better look.

Click-zerrrittt-heremmmmmmmm

"Hiya!"

Most of the officers can only sit in shock as the lifeless robot suddenly springs to life with blue light and movement, shooting upwards to greet the leaner, who jumps back with a squeak.

'This is one of the times I wish I could grin.. heh.'

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

"Well," Colonel Jenkensen said, himself somewhat surprised as he came to his senses. "I'll admit I wasn't expecting it to be ready upon opening the box. It's too bad Narys isn't here to see this."

"I can wake her if you want," Sarany said, trying to remain calm despite the shock.

"No, that's alright," replied Jenkensen. "Now, as you can see, this thing is small, lightweight, and quick. It is supposed to be good at gathering data, though I think we should see it in action first before jumping to any conclusions. Perhaps we should let it fly around a bit outside, get a layout of the camp to start things off."

"It would take everyone by surprise," replied Sarany.

"Yes," replied the Colonel. "They don't know, but neither will the enemy."

"No tricks!" The pirate shouted, his sword still pointed at Millstone. The surgeon slowly and carefully bent down toward the wounded man to begin his examination. He carefully pried the man's hand away from his injury, and then leaned over to take a closer look. "The bullet went right through," he said. "That means there's less risk of infection. It also went through the shoulder meaning it missed any vital organs."

"Can you help him?" The pirate asked menacingly, moving his sword slightly closer to Dr. Millstone.

"With immediate treatment if I can stop the bleeding there is a chance he will survive. I'm going to need whatever tools you can find, preferably a clamp of some sort. There should be a first aid kit somewhere on this boat."

The pirate looked over toward his comrade. "Get some medical equipment!" He shouted. He turned back to Dr. Millstone. "I don't know how you people manage without magic, but you better be able to help him!"

Edited by Atton Rand

IC: Sierra (Base)

'So this is gonna be one of the places where I'm an 'it'. Well, might as well start changing that.'

Fluttering over to Jenkenson's eye level, she speaks curiously while flitting in little circles to stay around the same zone.

"Well, whatever ya have me do is fine, really. What kinda base is this anyway? Land, sea, sky? I'd guess land, based on the fact that planes and boats don't bump along while traveling, and I didn't feel any vehicle changes, so it's the most logical. But hey, you could be anchored on a thin peninsula and so be considered sea, or this is an on-land part of a sky base, so it's possible for all three. I'd rather it be land, though. Too much water dragging me down on sea, and it's tough to fly with the constant winds of a sky base."

Well, they did want to know her capabilities..

"Oh, and you," she zips over to a officer who has seemed like he's been nodding off throughout the meeting, "It'd be polite to not text your girlfriend while in a meeting, no matter if she misses you more than double-chocolate cookies with whipped cream on top for breakfast. She's doing something else anyway, unless she's always been that slow of a texter. Thanks!"

And yet another time when she wishes she could smile. A cute, innocent, little girl smile would fit perfectly right now.

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

IC: Jenkensen smiled slightly, a bit shocked by the temper of this little creature. "You're in a land base. We're in the middle of a desert so you're not likely to have to worry about water. I suppose I'd better give you some information about what's going on here."

The Colonel stepped toward the door and opened it slowly. "The rest of you are dismissed," he said. One by one the other officers stood as he walked outside. "We're on of several establishments outside of the city," he explained to the little fluttering machine, trying not to draw attention from any of the soldiers nearby. "Things are very difficult right now, you see. I don't understand most of the politics myself but we've just come out of a bloody civil war, and there are certain parties who are willing to exploit that, not to mention some who would be willing to reignite the war as a means to an end.

That of course, combined with this whole collision of universes makes things extremely dangerous, which is where we come in. We aren't a perfect fighting force. There's about a hundred people here including doctors, mechanics, and cooks, but it's our job to be ready should something unexpected happen, and to be on the lookout for potential threats. Don't worry, for the most part we're fine, and it's really more a precautionary measure than anything but I figured a little machine like you would be perfect scouting material. Perhaps you would like to take a look around to start off, get a feel for the camp."

"Sounds good to me, Colonel. I'll head out on that in a bit, but first do ya have any questions or information ya'd like to know? Also, is there a place to plug in my charger for a quick fill-up before heading out?"

She's dimmed her glow in response to Jenkenson's quietness, and responds in the same tone. Sierra currently floats in front of the officer, 'hand' on her 'hip'.

'Things are looking up.. woohoo!'

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

IC: "I'm sure I can arrange for something in that regard," Colonel Jenkensen responded calmly. "A nice, quiet area where you can go to charge when you're not needed seems like a decent idea. If nothing else it will mean you'll be ready when we do need you. I can see to that if you like while you look around. Sarany!"

The medical officer approached him quickly upon hearing her name. "What is it, sir?"

"I'd like you to put out a message, informing everyone that if they see a small metal creature with a blue glow not to be alarmed."

Edited by Atton Rand

"Sounds good, sir!"

She salutes best she can and flits off towards one of the larger buildings.

It turns out to be a hanger, with some recon motorcycles and a hovercraft lying off in their spots. One such spot is vacant, leading the mech-fairy to believe that it's out on patrol.

'One of the motorcycles, based on the space and tracks left behind, which match those leaving the other cycle spots.'

Sierra exits through a window and goes upwards, finding a group of watchmen, and a watchwoman as well. Moving onwards, she stops at the roof of one of a group of small buildings to land near another watchman, this one lying down.

'And apparently sleeping as well.'

She sighs, both disappointed and annoyed at this soldier. Falling asleep on watch, no matter the excuse, wasn't something one does. People used to be put to death for it in olden times of castles, after all.

"Hey! Wake up!"

Speaking directly into his ears, she glances over his dog tags before doing so, just in case something bad happens.

"..Eh?.. What?.."

As the man looks groggily upwards, Sierra flits in front of his face and delivers a quick tongue-lashing.

"You fell asleep on watch duty?! Jeez, where do you think you are? The barracks? Well, you're not. What would've happened if something attacked from this side, and no-one saw because you're asleep?!? Huh?! Wha-"

"Stupid light thing.. leave me alone.."

Still in a sleepy stupor, the man, clearly ill-tempered even when away, swats the mech-fairy away from himself. He's heavily-built, so she's sent tumbling head over heels into the crack of an open window, pings into the room and lands with a 'thud' on the wooden table of Dr. Narys.

"..ow.."

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

IC: Irina Narys

Dr. Narys groaned slightly as she rolled over. Her eyes taking a moment to open. As she sat up on her bed her memories started coming back to her. She remembered arriving and meeting Captain Sarany, who was nice enough to give her a few hours rest before getting started. Now she would have to meet the Colonel. She certainly was not looking forward to that.

Then her attention was caught by a slight mechanical noise. It was faint and at first she dismissed it, standing up but then she heard that sound again. Slowly she turned toward the table, her mind taking a moment to process the sight of the strange metal creature with a blue glow that was standing there.

IC: Sierra (Base, Narys' Room)

As she picks herself up off the table, she checks over her wings, testing out the different speeds with quick, mechanical whirring. As she does it again, her motion sensors detect something to her left, so she turns.

It's a thin, dark-haired female. Considering that this isn't the barracks..

"Hello!"

The mech-fairy zips upwards, getting to Narys' eye level before continuing.

"Good day, ma'am! I presume you are Narys?"

'Too few beds per room to be average soldiers, therefore officer quarters, and Jenkenson mentioned a 'Narys' at that meeting.. so..'

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

"Yes," replied Narys, a bit nervous and unsure about the sight of this tiny glowing robot. "That would be correct."

At that moment, the door opened, and Sarany entered. "Captain, I-" she said only to be cut off. "I see you've met our new friend." Narys looked at her for a moment. "What?"

"It arrived while you were sleeping," Sarany said. "It's a piece of experimental technology Jenkensen thought could be useful. Did you sleep okay?"

"Yeah," replied Narys, somewhat relieved by Sarany's reassurance that this was not anything to worry about.

"Good," replied Sarany. "We've got a problem. I've got your equipment already."

"What's wrong?"

"A truck just pulled into the camp. You're going to have to see this for yourself."

Quickly, Narys ran outside, followed by Sarany, who then led her towards the gate. There was indeed a truck there in poor condition. The vehicle had been badly damaged. "It's a wonder this thing even made it at all," the young mechanic explained. "They even shot out the tires."

The passenger-side door had already been opened, and a body lay in front of it. Narys knelt down and rolled it over, checking his pulse, only to find nothing. "He fell out when we opened the door," Sergeant Halderson had explained.

"He's dead," Narys said in reply. "I know," replied Halderson. "There's a few more bodies in the back, most probably dead as well."

"Well, then what did you need me for?" Narys asked. Halderson motioned toward the open door, and when Narys looked inside, she could see an exhausted, semi-conscious woman looking at her nervously. Slowly she climbed up into the truck to confront the woman. "It's okay," Narys said as she sat down next to her. "I'm not going to hurt you."

She noticed on the woman's torn uniform a nametag reading "Ysra". The woman seemed scared out of her wits, but Narys did her best to examine the woman before turning back towards the sergeant. "She's alive, obviously in shock, may have been wounded as well. I'll need some equipment."

Sarany approached, holding a small bag, which she quickly handed to Narys. "This should help," she said. "I'm just going to see if there are any survivors in the back."

IC: Dr. Millstone.

One of the pirates finally came back with a first-aid kit, not much but still something he could work with, combined with the small selection of equipment he had already brought with him. They brought the wounded pirate into the stateroom, placing him on the desk. The man was still grunting in pain.

"The main issue at the moment is to stop the bleeding," the Doctor explained, as he used a towel to wipe his surgical equipment, certainly not the best method of sanitation but it would have to do. One of the pirates still had his sword in hand, and seemed ready to draw it at a moment's notice.

Edited by Atton Rand

As Narys dashed off, the mech-fairy flitted behind her using the wake in the air to keep up.

Upon arriving at the transport, she takes it all in, not saying anything. Finding a perch on Narys' shoulder, she watches as the Colonel appears and then leaves again, along with Narys' examination.

Finally, she speaks quietly into the doctor's ear, informing her of what the fairy's detected.

"Along with what you said, thermal is showing that she's overheated, likely from fighting in the desert. There's a suspicious amount of heat on her left side, so if you're looking for a wound that's likely where it is."

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

The young doctor paused for a moment, not immediately realizing the mech-fairy had followed her. She was still trying to overcome the surprise of the mechanical creature, but Sarany had assured her it was nothing to be worried about. Besides, in this weather overheating wasn't an uncommon problem, especially if the vehicle's air conditioning had been damaged in the catastrophe.

Quickly she turned back toward the open door and looked at the Sergeant. "Get a stretcher over here, now!" She said. "Get her to the medical bay. Do you have anything that could cool her down?"

"There should be a machine in there for regulating body temperature," replied the Sergeant.

"Good," replied Narys. "Get her indoors. I'll be in as soon as I can."

The Sergeant ran off to carry out his orders, the first time Narys had to give orders on her own. She looked at one of the other soldiers present. "Any of you have any water?" One of them reached into their pocket and approached her, slowly holding out his canteen. Within a few seconds she had unstrapped Ysra's helmet, the poor girl being too weak to resist and poured water over her head. "It's not much but it may give us a little bit more time."

The Sergeant arrived a few moments later with a stretcher and two other soldiers. He opened the door, Narys holding on to the young girl in order to help the Sergeant in slowly moving her out of the driver's seat. One of the soldiers took the girl out of Narys' hands before helping the Sergeant to place her on the stretcher.

"You know what to do?" Narys asked.

"Get her indoors," replied the Sergeant. "Bring her into the medical bay and cool her down."

"Good," replied Narys. "I'll be there in a few minutes."

The Sergeant signalled for one of the soldiers to help him pick up the stretcher and they quickly carried it away. Narys then climbed out of the cab and made her way towards the back. She looked inside through the open doors to see a large pile of bodies; men and women who had been shot in various ways. Sarany was crouched inside, using a small handheld device on one of the bodies.

"Any survivors?" Narys asked.

"I haven't found a pulse yet," replied Sarany. "With a pile like this it's hard to sort them out, though. What could have happened?"

"The girl in the driver's seat was overheated," Narys explained. "She might also have some sort of wound on her left side. I'd like to take a look at that. Perhaps your little friend could help you."

IC: Sierra (Damaged Transport)

She jumps off the doctor's shoulder, zipping inside the vehicle and activating her three main sensors, other than optical: Thermal, Motion, and Heartbeat.

'Let's see.. Got some warmth over there, slight movement as well.. and.. there's a beat. Faint, but there.'

"Survivor over here."

The mech-fairy flies over to the pile in question, descending to further find the correct person. Continuing on in this way, she's likely to find all of the living soldiers left in the transport.

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

IC: Narys watched as the little mech-fairy slowly descended into the pile of bodies. Sarany was somewhat surprised as the fairy descended towards one particular individual. As the fairy landed, she carefully scanned him before shouting "GET A STRETCHER OVER HERE!"

Narys quickly ran toward one of the soldiers. "Where's the medbay?" She asked. The soldier pointed him toward it. "Thank you," she said before turning toward the building indicated. She quickly opened the sliding door and ran inside, shutting it behind her. As instructed the young girl she had been looking after had been placed into a large glass coffin. The patient had been stripped of her armor, and was now down to a basic shirt and pants. She was being sprayed by a thin, white mist which left noticeable frost on the sides, and on her arm was a sensor hooked up to a computer displaying her vital signs.

"Heat stroke," said a doctor looking at her. "Hardly anything new. We always have equipment like this ready just in case. Oh, you must be the new girl. I'm Dr. Ellesworth."

"Dr. Narys," she replied calmly.

Ellesworth was a tall man with short dark hair. Much like her and Sarany he was dressed in basic fatigues. "There was something not quite right about the patient though."

Narys approached cautiously, as Dr. Ellesworth adjusted the machine to lessen the mist. "I had reason to suspect there was something wrong with her left side, some sort of thermal heating."

"Take a look at this," said Dr. Ellesworth. Narys approached cautiously, leaning forward to look at a rather nasty injury. No sign of shrapnel or anything, but it looked something like a massive burn that ran down the side of her torso, as well as part of her leg and even some of her arm."

"Something bad happened to her," Ellesworth said.

"How long should this work?" Narys asked.

"Her body temperature should be stable in an hour or so, but she's probably suffering dehydration. Would you be willing to keep an eye on her while I get some water?"

"No problem," replied Narys as Ellesworth turned away. She then turned her attention to the unexplained wound.

IC: Sierra (Transport -> Medbay)

After finding a second survivor among the bodies, the mech-fairy tags along as the stretcher carries him into the medbay. As the stretcher goes one way, Sierra takes another path towards a large heat sink, which turns out to be the glass coffin containing that first woman they found barely awake.

"Hey," the fairy greets, landing on Narys' shoulder. She looks over the prone figure before speaking again.

"Burns.. perhaps the work of an energy or flame-based weapon?"

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg