Guitar Topic

Icicle

I don't see any topics replacing the old one so I'll start this one.I'll start it up saying that I have a Squier Strat with tobacco sunburst, red turtle half pick guard, custom replaced neck with 21 frets. I think I'm going Richenbacher, though, this Christmas. :D

Hey look I almost have 1000 posts

I too have a strat (not a squire), but it's been revamped and such, so give it a new paint job and it'd be worth about $1800. But the one I actually play is a straight-from-the-shelf BC Rich Warlock, Kerry King sig series. I'm not a huge Slayer fan (like some stuff) but I loooooove this guitar. I think I'll replace it at some point with a better quality version, 'cause it's wonderful. I've got a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt to go with it, so it perfectly fits the harsh biting sound I like my guitar to have.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

I forgot, I do have a tremolo but I don't use it at all for some reason. I don't really like the tremolo on mine because the backplate makes it hard to restring. I'm trying to find out whether making a clear acrylic guitar is even feasible with my income, because ever since I saw All My Life I had the biggest desire for one. :P

Cool people call it a whammy bar. :PI'm going to attempt to build a guitar from scratch in woodwork class next semester... I need a job before then.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

I have played guitar for 1 and a half years. I have a black SG. I play a lot of Ac/Dc(good stuff like I Put the Finger on You, Bad Boy Boogie, Dog Eat Dog, Fly on the Wall etc.). I play Malcolm's parts of the songs most of the time. I play a few other bands as well but mainly Ac/Dc. I don't really do solos but I can play the ones in Let It Be and More Than a Feeling. My favourite song to play is "Peace of Mind" by Boston.

Cool people call it a whammy bar. :PI'm going to attempt to build a guitar from scratch in woodwork class next semester... I need a job before then.

xinlo-small.gif

The neck is gonna be a huge pain to make. Js. :PWhat body style do you want to make?

I'm just recently taking up guitar, since it was my brother's, and then he gave it to my sister. She recently got a gorgeous blue acoustic from a friend, so now I get the midnight blue electric. I'm learning to play Reach For The Stars by Cash Cash, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

I'm just recently taking up guitar, since it was my brother's, and then he gave it to my sister. She recently got a gorgeous blue acoustic from a friend, so now I get the midnight blue electric. I'm learning to play Reach For The Stars by Cash Cash, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

If you need any help figuring it out, I can help you! I still have yet to learn any songs from Colors. :P

If you need any help figuring it out, I can help you! I still have yet to learn any songs from Colors. :P
Thanks, I will, though I found a video which has a cover done of the song, along with the tabs for it. I'm making good progress so far (having a good memory helps,) and hope to have in done in the next week or so.

Awesome, can you send me the link to that? I wanna learn how to play it told :P

Sadly, I can't link to it (bet you can guess why. :P) However, search "Sonic Colors Reach For the Stars-By Cash Cash Guitar Cover With Music" into google and it's the first result. Too bad there aren't tabs for the instrumental parts, but you could probably ask him for those.

Cool people call it a whammy bar.

:P I'm going to attempt to build a guitar from scratch in woodwork class next semester... I need a job before then. xinlo-small.gif

The neck is gonna be a huge pain to make. Js. :PWhat body style do you want to make?

Yes I know, it'll be a pain. Also it's a body design I made up, not any pre-determined style. I've got it sketched out, so I might post it, but we'll see. It's a mix of curves and spikes for super dramatic effect, I think.

xinlo-small.gif

Edited by Xinlo: Spirit Of Sonics

E8c8QpP.jpg

Post it! :PIs it going to be acoustic, semi, or solid?Any cool colors/designs you think of?I would totally paint my guitar or atleast make a guitar body if my dad let me. We don't have a single warranty and I the knobs/pick ups are white so it really contrasts badly. I want to atleast paint it white so that there's a definite color scheme lol.

Post it! :PIs it going to be acoustic, semi, or solid?Any cool colors/designs you think of? I would totally paint my guitar or atleast make a guitar body if my dad let me. We don't have a single warranty and I the knobs/pick ups are white so it really contrasts badly. I want to atleast paint it white so that there's a definite color scheme lol.

It's going to be a solid electric 7-string, if all goes to plan. Also no colour scheme yet, but it'll most likely end up being blue/purple. We'll see. Also, just uploaded it:

Here it is.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

I've been playing for nearly 3 years, now. I own an Ibanez AW35ECENT Acoustic-Electric guitar. That's just my most prized one. I also own a very cheap Fender Starcaster Strat that I have owned for nearly two years now. I also have a Line 6 Spider IV 15-Watt amplifier, which I plan to replace with a Fender Mustang II 40-Watt amplifier sometime soon, hopefully. Then I'll be saving to buy a Squier by Fender Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster to replace my Starcaster. I don't have very many pedals, because I mostly prefer a clean sound, but I plan to get a Boss DS-1 Distortion, and maybe a Dunlop or Ibanez Wah pedal, soon.

Edited by Vataki

naw man

I tabbed a solo from an unknown rock song, but I can't do those metal ones until I get really serious as a guitarist. :P

Ever since I listened to Angels and Airwaves I had the biggest craving for a delay pedal. :P

The Edge (of the band U2) uses delay pedals in astonishing ways. He invented a sound around delay, reverb and echo pedals. He's a genius.
I feel lame with only an OD switch on my practice amp. My big amp has no pedals or switches but it has the best sound and so many ports :'( lol!

How long did you take you guys to start playing solos?

To play guitar solos from songs? Or to be able to improvise/write your own? I've been playing for about 3 years, I was playing solos from songs after I learned most of the scales, and now I'm able to improvise and write my own solos. (I love improvising in the blues scale.)

naw man

Okay, I'm gonna repost my stuff in here: I've been playing guitar for twelve years, ever since I was 5. I currently have a Danelectro Danoblaster six-string (that I barely play, needs stuff fixed on it, would like to replace the pickups in it with something more to my style), an Ibanez GIO GAX70 six string (Dual humbuckers, stoptail bridge, generic body shape), and a project I'm working on with the working name of "Project Sledgehammer". You guys remember me now? Sledgehammer's an '80s Squier Heavy Metal Strat body... Currently, she's got no pickups in, since I blew up my previous soldering iron trying to solder a ground wire to the volume pot, and currently has an Alvarez-brand neck, built by Modulus Graphite, but I need to replace the neck because the truss rod nut is stripped, and the neck's bowed slightly. It has a licensed Floyd Rose in it, and I'm hoping to put in it my Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader pickup so that I can really crank out some thrash metal riffs and some deep, drop-tuned, blow-your-mind chunk. I'm most likely going to use a Mighty Mite Strat-style neck, because I am in no way going to afford buying a Warmoth neck. My amp: Fender Princeton Chorus solid-state combo, 125w, dual 12" speakers. Loud enough to make the amp start to surge forward on a concrete floor with a few Drop B chugs. With the volume a touch past ONE. I also used a Tech 21 SansAmp "British" to change my tone a bit, since I can't afford a Marshall.

ace_combat.jpg
"Slyph Squadron, engaging."

I've played for almost 3 years, I have a cherryburst Fender Squier Strat... And that's it... xD Oh yeah, I share a Mitchell steel-string acoustic with my brother, but that's all. I really want a guitar with a floating tremolo, does anyone have a suggestion as to which I should get?

• 4 weeks later...

Well... I'm going to admit that I think that some of the Xiphos guitars are amazing. I've played an XPT700 before, with a red chameleon finish and it felt amazing, but not as amazing as a Charvel So-Cal from the first fret on. However, I admit that the XPT700 is a plus for having a neck-thru body style. However, if you want something cheaper than 800 bucks, go with the XP300. It's a bolt-on neck, but it has that RG-style contoured heel for more comfort, and still has that Edge trem. Ibanez guitars are good for middle-range guys, for those who can't afford the better guitars like Charvel.

ace_combat.jpg
"Slyph Squadron, engaging."

• 2 weeks later...

Never really learned to play guitar, to be quite honest. I mean, I can read tabs, so in theory I could apply the tabs to the guitar, but in practice I've never had the opportunity to try. The distinct lack of a guitar to play was actually what got me into flute, to be honest.Still, though, given the opportunity, I'd like to learn to play it, and I still include the guitar in stuff I compose.On a less stupid subject than, well, me, I've found a rather interesting thing one fellow's been doing with disused guns that I find interesting.escopetarra-00.jpg?Expires=1283551200&Signature=PGP2vOXp0~ONJEiOfN1LgFauvBeE0~p6upXNhscpogot1a4tBNtBDd~l1CuoxdigAR5exU4teILhhScXCQXofrrD4WbNjp9NRvsfbTrdocuZAg2HHcrxU9dNkyqq5eWagxGR9oLH2JuEvxu~VDo2uC3BpU2BnxYOTsRM4dawp9I_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJYN3LZI5CG46B7AA&Policy=eyJTdGF0ZW1lbnQiOlt7IlJlc291cmNlIjoiaHR0cDovL2QzZHM0b3k3ZzF3cnFxLmNsb3VkZnJvbnQubmV0L3NlbnRpbWllbnRvL215ZmlsZXMvZXNjb3BldGFycmEtMDAuanBnIiwiQ29uZGl0aW9uIjp7IkRhdGVMZXNzVGhhbiI6eyJBV1M6RXBvY2hUaW1lIjoxMjgzNTUxMjAwfX19XX0_Called the escopetarra (portmanteau between Spanish words for shotgun and guitar), this guitar (on the left, in case you didn't guess) was made from a disused rifle, by a Colombian guitarist and peace activist. What do you think of the design?

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

it seems like everyone's first guitar is a strat, including me. :Pi've been playing for going on 4 years now. i've got a fender strat, a reversed Takamine acoustic, and my prized guitar, a Schecter Blackjack 7-string, which I never thought I'd see in my whole life in person considering i'm a lefty.i actually prefer playing in standard tuning over dropped tuning, don't know why that is. i have my 7-string tuned to the standard B almost 95% of the time. besides, usually anything outside of the C#-B range usually sounds either too high or too muddy to me.

Edited by BBCCD
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

My first guitar was a cheap SG, but I've moved onto a sunburst Hamer A/T as my main guitar. I just love that thing :P. I've been trying to move onto a bit of finger picking on electric, so I've learned a lot of Doors songs. Favorites of theirs would probably be Love Me Two Times and Soul Kitchen. Have any of you tried finger picking on electric guitar? The only thing i don't like about it is the extra care you need to have for your fingernails, and having them really long on your right hand :/EDIT: Also I've been playing for approximately 3 years, and play in my schools jazz band.

Edited by Cirrus Minor

"On a trip to Cirrus Minor, saw a crater in the sun

A thousand miles of moonlight later..."

-Pink Floyd, Cirrus Minor

Not a big fan of Strats, nor Fender. The seven string looks cool, but I'd rather have it in a less ugly color. :PI upgraded to an Epiphone G400 in all black last October. It's amazing, but the back doesn't agree with me. That's why I kinda miss my old Strat lol..My dream guitar is a double cut Gibson/Epiphone ES. It was like hearing heaven when I played one at Guitar Center. :P

Fender is my favorite brand of guitar. Sure, some of them aren't too hot to look at, but they're so versatile. Specifically, the Stratocaster. You can get so many different (really good) sounds out of just one instrument. Telecasters are great, too. You can use them for Rock and Roll, Blues, Funk, Country, Folk, and most other kinds of music as well. Gibson and Epiphone have nice Hollow-bodied guitars, but I'm not a huge fan of the Les Paul. Or the Explorer. Namely, the pickups... I love single-coils. (Same reason I don't care for the HSS Strats that Squier makes). Some songs are good with the Humbuckers, though, like Metal and Hard Rock songs. I'm just more of a Blues guitarist, though.And yeah, I know most (if not all) Gibson/Epiphone Hollow-bodies have Humbuckers, but the Hollow bodies give them a sort of special sound.Although I'd love a Gretsch if I could get my hands on one.

naw man

There's just one thing with light guitars like hollow-body and the SG. They're really neck heavy. I'm basically carrying the neck when I'm standing. I always play sitting down thankfully. :PHey did anyone get Rocksmith? I got it for Christmas and it's an amazing game! It's sort of irksome when you already play, but the Guitarcade is the coolest thing. The adaptive difficulty needs a lot of improvement, and I wish I could choose a starting difficulty, but the concept is still great. Not a teaching tool, but I guess it can be to learn songs easily and to improve technique.What do you guys think of it?

• 2 weeks later...

I got Rocksmith for Christmas. It's really good for learning to play songs, and I find it fun. It does help improve technique, but there's still a lot to learn about the guitar the game doesn't teach. But still, I find it fun.Anyway, I've been playing guitar for a couple years now. I have a red Ibanez ART100 electric guitar, and Marshall amp. I mostly like playing blues and classic rock songs.

stringersig.png

Credit to ~Argentum~ for the banner.

I've decided to really challenge myself. I'm trying to learn 25 Or 6 To 4 by Chicago ALL the way through. solo, fills, everything. I have a feeling I'll give up.

"On a trip to Cirrus Minor, saw a crater in the sun

A thousand miles of moonlight later..."

-Pink Floyd, Cirrus Minor

I've decided to really challenge myself. I'm trying to learn 25 Or 6 To 4 by Chicago ALL the way through. solo, fills, everything. I have a feeling I'll give up.

That's a great song. Really good guitar playing.Don't give up on it, though. You'll get it with enough practice.And now that you've mentioned this song, I'm probably going to end up learning it, myself. :PBtw, "Castles Made of Sand" by Jimi Hendrix is a great song for guitarists.

naw man