While reading at my local library the other day, I cam across an error in BIONICLE Legends 4: Legacy of Evil. It can be seen here (click the thumbnail for a bigger version).

thumb_img_0205.jpg

In the passage shown, Zaktan destroys he information he found on Teridax's plan using his impact vision. Impact vision? That was Vezok's power, not Zaktan's (he had laser vision).

I have a couple of questions about this. First, is this a known error (i.e. has someone else spotted it and asked Greg about it before), and second, if it is known, what did he say? I've done a quick google search, and it didn't turn up anything about this error. Was it a confusion about which Piraka had which powers that nobody at LEGO caught before publishing (and maybe it was fixed in later versions?), or could it have been written before the Pirakas' powers were finalised, and then not changed once they were?

Do we have any idea which one?

ppg2.png

I've never heard of it. Likely just a simple mistake nobody bothered to notice.

Edit: Just checked my copy. Same report as Master Inika in the next post (including format differences); still says impact vision. You're probably the first person to say anything about it.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Mine also has that error. It's no major problem; he could just as easily use laser vision to destroy a wall.

But I did notice your version of the book is slightly different from mine. In mine, the page starts with "By skill and luck," and the start of the next chapter is also different. In mine, there is a noticeable space after the "One Month Ago ..." and the chapter number is also between two Voya Nui symbols instead of underneath one.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Mine also has that error. It's no major problem; he could just as easily use laser vision to destroy a wall.

But I did notice your version of the book is slightly different from mine. In mine, the page starts with "By skill and luck," and the start of the next chapter is also different. In mine, there is a noticeable space after the "One Month Ago ..." and the chapter number is also between two Voya Nui symbols instead of underneath one.

Do you two live in different countries? If so, that's probably why they're different.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Do you two live in different countries? If so, that's probably why they're different.

That might be it. The OP's page says he lives in New Zealand, and I live in America.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

My copy has this error as well. I would imagine it was just a mistake no one noticed,

My copy is the same as Master Inika's, formatting-wise, and I live in America. So it would seem to be regional.

The BZPower Chat is alive!

Join at: http://xat.com/thebzpc

I am ToaN, from the N continuum...

Interesting. I'd agree with the regional difference on the formatting. BS01 says that there was one american version of the book and another for the UK (though it makes no mention of the error). In addition to the spelling differences, that version also had different art on the cover, so I think that a few formatting differences would be expected too.

I've never heard of it. Likely just a simple mistake nobody bothered to notice.

Edit: Just checked my copy. Same report as Master Inika in the next post (including format differences); still says impact vision. You're probably the first person to say anything about it.

Wow. Out of thousands of copies read by so many fans, I can't believe nobody else saw (and talked about) this before. It's hardly an obscure piece of trivia: the characters powers are a pretty basic part of the story. I feel special. ^_^

ppg2.png

I checked my copy and it says impact vision as well. I can't believe I didn't notice that until I read this topic.

Yes, it's something you would expect the story team to have right, isn't it? I suspect that is half the reason why most people just assumed it was correct and rolled with it. You would have to be very sure it was wrong before you could even question it. I'd guess that since the book came out pretty early in 2006, it hadn't been long since the Piraka got released, and their abilities hadn't been known for very long. That would mean most people wouldn't know them very well, and couldn't spot the mistake at the time. Since I read the book... what 7 years later? (wow, time flies) I knew the Piraka's powers and spotted the difference.

ppg2.png

I checked my copy and it says impact vision as well. I can't believe I didn't notice that until I read this topic.

Yes, it's something you would expect the story team to have right, isn't it? I suspect that is half the reason why most people just assumed it was correct and rolled with it. You would have to be very sure it was wrong before you could even question it. I'd guess that since the book came out pretty early in 2006, it hadn't been long since the Piraka got released, and their abilities hadn't been known for very long. That would mean most people wouldn't know them very well, and couldn't spot the mistake at the time. Since I read the book... what 7 years later? (wow, time flies) I knew the Piraka's powers and spotted the difference.

It actually came out in October of 2006... The 10th or the 11th, if my memory serves me correctly (and I don't know the day or month for any other book in the series, but this was the first one I bought the day it came out), so the Piraka were out a while. I don't remember noticing any such thing, so great find there.

I believe it came out later in the year, since it was the second-to-last released, and the previous novel was about the Toa Inika. I had the Piraka's vision powers down by heart when I was reading it, I was just never consciously thinking about it as I read it.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Ah, whoops. Looks like I was wrong there.

Still, it looks like this about sums it up.

I had the Piraka's vision powers down by heart when I was reading it, I was just never consciously thinking about it as I read it.

That explains why it took so long for somebody to spot the mistake, and without asking Greg I don't think we'll get anything more than speculation on what caused the mistake in the first place.

ppg2.png

Yes, it's something you would expect the story team to have right, isn't it?

Not really, Bionicle is chock full... overflowing, even, with powers that there's often barely even room to feature at all, let alone keep track of them all. :P I'm sure Greg just forgot at the moment which power it was. Not really a big mystery. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hm... looks like the typo's the same in all versions. I can't personally confirm it, but I lost Legends #4 some time ago - I guess that means I have an excuse for not spotting it, though. XPMost likely, Greg was just up too late trying to work on the book, and I doubt his editor was a master of Bionicle lore. Still doesn't explain the story team missing it for years, but we can just chalk that up to "lack of paying attention to every tiny detail."

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Actually, I remember noting this and writing it off as a typo. :P I've noticed a few more over the years but never thought of it as a big deal.(Also, my evil memory says that mistakes topics are against S&T regulations. :shrugs: Not that I have anything against this discussion much.)

Yeah, might as well close this now. Looks pretty certain that it is indeed just another simple mistake, and no, it wasn't corrected. Oh well. :P

Topic closed.