3DS discussion

As you may or may not know, the old topic has b been dead for some time now. I figured with E3 and everything maybe this would be a good time to start a new one.

So... Now what?

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Well, I learned earlier that if you purchase Shin Megami Tensei IV and Fire Emblem Awkening and register them both on your Club Nintendo account before August 31, you get $30 for the 3DS eShop free. I was sold on SMTIV the day it was announced (I've preordered it), and this is definitely incentive for me to get FE:A (which I tried the demo of and loved).

Well, I learned earlier that if you purchase Shin Megami Tensei IV and Fire Emblem Awkening and register them both on your Club Nintendo account before August 31, you get $30 for the 3DS eShop free. I was sold on SMTIV the day it was announced (I've preordered it), and this is definitely incentive for me to get FE:A (which I tried the demo of and loved).

I've heard fire emblem is good. When I get a job I might buy it. but right now I have enough games coming out to buy...

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

I have an XL and I do quite love it. Held off on getting one for the longest time, but I caved for Kingdom Hearts 3D. I'd definitely like to trade up to one of those Pokemon X/Y models, though, if we ever get the chance (or Charizard, mayhap). Mine's starting to show a bit of wear =P.Don't have many actually dedicated 3DS games, though, the DS library has kept me pretty busy, and virtual console games/apps. Leaning towards Mario & Luigi: Dream Team when it comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

The Black 3DS XL is FINALLY coming to North America!

Considering picking it up, since my 3DS is sorta busted (noticeably damaged housing and DSiWare/DS games don't work on it), but I'm just wondering if it might be a bit too big to constantly be in my pockets...

The Black 3DS XL is FINALLY coming to North America! Considering picking it up, since my 3DS is sorta busted (noticeably damaged housing and DSiWare/DS games don't work on it), but I'm just wondering if it might be a bit too big to constantly be in my pockets...

That's what I was thinking, too. Personally, I think the regular 3DS is big enough.By the way, I finally got a 3DS a few weeks ago, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. :) Can't wait for the next Smash Bros. to come out! :) Edited by Vakama-san

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

The Black 3DS XL is FINALLY coming to North America!

Considering picking it up, since my 3DS is sorta busted (noticeably damaged housing and DSiWare/DS games don't work on it), but I'm just wondering if it might be a bit too big to constantly be in my pockets...

What the heck did you do to it? I've had mine since opening day, and I've dropped it several times, washed it once, and otherwise abused it, and it works completely fine. Only problem I ever had was the A button stopped working after it got washed, and I sent it in to Nintendo, though strangely enough they didn't fix it and it somehow fixed itself within the next two months. I blame magic, but still. Nintendo products are nearly indestructible, as far as I know :P

I know that one of the cracks is from accidentally hitting the corner of a table with my leg while my 3DS was in my pocket, don't know where the other one came from. And the thing about not playing DS games happened a few weeks ago, my 3DS also started randomly shutting off then, but it doesn't anymore. Kinda hope the DS game problem fixes itself...

Mine has developed scratches due to the case. This annoys me to no end. And it just looks like it's been through years of abuse.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

I don't want to get a 3DS even though I really only like nintendo, because it has a very small amount of games that are any way decent, and still aren't better than games on previous consoles; it's very expensive, and most of all:

It's a game console made for a GRAPHICAL gimmick, with BAD GRAPHICS. The 3DSXL just makes fun of that fact.

I figure it makes sense for me to catch up on good gaming that I missed, like gamecube and N64. I started working on a portable N64 (which is actually a lot easier than you'd think), but I decided to make a nintoaster 64 instead lol.

But if I had a 3DS (and my sister is thinking about getting one), I'd wanna get the new Yoshi's island, because the first one is in my top 5 fave games. Also dream team, because superstar saga is probably top 15, and paper mario, because thousand year door is one of my faves too. I know that all three of those games are going to be godawful terriblenasty bad games, but I just want to play them XD

Also professor layton vs ace attorney, because it's a crossover of my two favorite DS games :D It looks downright AWFUL, but I can not pass up anything professor layton!

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

Nobody I know ever really uses 3D, because it is gimmicky and doesn't always work that well, especially if you have the original model which scratches it's own screens. That said, the graphics really aren't that bad, MGS3D, Resident Evil, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Kid Icarus: Uprising are all examples of that. It's not as powerful as a home console, but it's definitely at least, if not more powerful than the Wii.

And if you get a 3DS, avoid Paper Mario AT ALL COSTS!!! Trust me, It's nothing like previous Paper Mario games, and not in a good way. It completely ditches pretty much any RPG elements, making turn-based battles feel more like a waste of time than anything, and the lack of story was arguably what killed it. After all the other awful stuff about the game, of course.

Err; no? What factors make the graphics anywhere close to bad? The graphics work, and are most definitely on par with things from the Wii. You want to see bad graphics, you look at the early DS games. With a few exceptions, those graphics didn't really age well(Like Wild World). And yet, some launch 3DS titles look as good, or better, than stuff you'd see late into the Wii's release? Monster Hunter for example. It looks just as good as it does on the Wii, with maybe a couple texture issues because Capcom likes to do things halfheartedly sometimes. Heck; it does some things even better, because it can actually support shadows that aren't just circular blobs.If you claim the 240p screen is what is causing that, then I'll just say it doesn't matter. We're used to higher resolutions; because we're also used to screens and devices that can handle it being bigger. Riddle me this; merge the two screens, what would happen? Would you get more capabilities? Answer: Yes. The reason they had to go less powerful on the top screen is exactly that reason; they're outputting resources to two screens simultaneously, on a handheld system. SOMETHING has to give here.Next, I noticed you claimed the games were worse? Mind explaining that? I have about 9 games already. Only one would I consider to be only 'eh' quality, and that's Tetris. Lemme just go over some of the games, too, one in particular for certain. Animal Crossing. I played Wild World for the first time in a year right before I picked up New Leaf. Wild World, to put it bluntly, has not aged well in any terms. The graphics are worse than I recall, the frame rate is awful, I don't remember seeing any way to speed up the text, and it just was not very fun. That said, I've been spending the last week pretty much exclusively in New Leaf, as they actually made it fun again. I don't even remember what City Folk was like, of course. =P Mario Kart 7 gets a lot of flack for what it is; but it wasn't worse than DS. It's drifting mechanics are probably the best of the series(I've played like two minutes of MKWii, so it might've been introduced there), and while the mission mode being removed was disappointing, there's still everything else; and mission mode was in the series for... what, two entries?(Again, dunno about Double Dash or Wii, so it may have just been DS for all I know) Then there's Pokemon releasing in October, which is looking to bring a lot of better things to the series(8. Way. Movement.), and Fire Emblem, and so on and so forth. Also, heck; the DS having the best library of pretty much any handheld barring maybe the GBA is a good thing, because, you know, it can play DS games still.(Well, not Terminus', but his is a different case because it's a glitch.) Also, Luigi's Mansion.Also, the 3Ds is by no means expensive now. Are you stuck in 2011? 0_o If so, and it's early 2011, please tell everyone to riot early, ahead of the Legends 3 fiasco announcement, and maybe we might actually see that game. But seriously; the 3DS at it's current price is no more expensive than the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and it's even currently matching the DSi XL. And lemme also say this: I bought my 3DS, back at launch. I'm one of the early adopters. I paid 250 dollars for my system. The Xl is not expensive compared to that. And I also just wanna point out that the Vita runs you into the 300s or 400s if you also get a game, so it's still much worse off. =PIt's just; I don't get it. The 64 was much worse off; I think anyone will agree; simply because it had such a hold up with the Disc Drive add-on, which halted or changed up some games. And yet, I'd say that the 3DS has already passed that stage, since it hasn't had anything go wrong with it in those ways. There have been games canceled, yeah, back when people were still wary of the thing. Again, 2011.Also, for the record, while Sticker Star is bad for tossing out pretty much everything established and not even having much story; Dream Team isn't supposed to be anywhere close to that level. I don't know about Yoshi's Island, but... Well, his games have admittedly been hit or miss for a little while. =P(Never played the DS one, but i thought i heard something about how it could've been better)I'm gonna just end this post here, because I never really intended to wall of text this place. xP

Edited by Blade: #XIII. Roxas

I don't want to get a 3DS even though I really only like nintendo, because it has a very small amount of games that are any way decent, and still aren't better than games on previous consoles; it's very expensive, and most of all:

It's a game console made for a GRAPHICAL gimmick, with BAD GRAPHICS. The 3DSXL just makes fun of that fact.

I figure it makes sense for me to catch up on good gaming that I missed, like gamecube and N64. I started working on a portable N64 (which is actually a lot easier than you'd think), but I decided to make a nintoaster 64 instead lol.

But if I had a 3DS (and my sister is thinking about getting one), I'd wanna get the new Yoshi's island, because the first one is in my top 5 fave games. Also dream team, because superstar saga is probably top 15, and paper mario, because thousand year door is one of my faves too. I know that all three of those games are going to be godawful terriblenasty bad games, but I just want to play them XD

Also professor layton vs ace attorney, because it's a crossover of my two favorite DS games :D It looks downright AWFUL, but I can not pass up anything professor layton!

The graphics are actually quite nice. Especially when compared to DS graphics. But think judging a game on its graphics is a terrible thing to do.

The person above me mentioned animal crossing. I agree , Great, fun, lighthearted game.

I will admit that there are a few digital download games that I would really like to have but can't. And that annoys me to no end, but my 3DS is my favorite gaming system.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Nobody I know ever really uses 3D, because it is gimmicky and doesn't always work that well, especially if you have the original model which scratches it's own screens. That said, the graphics really aren't that bad, MGS3D, Resident Evil, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Kid Icarus: Uprising are all examples of that. It's not as powerful as a home console, but it's definitely at least, if not more powerful than the Wii.

And if you get a 3DS, avoid Paper Mario AT ALL COSTS!!! Trust me, It's nothing like previous Paper Mario games, and not in a good way. It completely ditches pretty much any RPG elements, making turn-based battles feel more like a waste of time than anything, and the lack of story was arguably what killed it. After all the other awful stuff about the game, of course.

Haha I'll have to remember not to waste my money :P

But if the 3d isn't what makes you want it, then it seems to me that you just want it because it's NEW.

Err; no? What factors make the graphics anywhere close to bad? The graphics work, and are most definitely on par with things from the Wii. You want to see bad graphics, you look at the early DS games. With a few exceptions, those graphics didn't really age well(Like Wild World). And yet, some launch 3DS titles look as good, or better, than stuff you'd see late into the Wii's release? Monster Hunter for example. It looks just as good as it does on the Wii, with maybe a couple texture issues because Capcom likes to do things halfheartedly sometimes. Heck; it does some things even better, because it can actually support shadows that aren't just circular blobs.If you claim the 240p screen is what is causing that, then I'll just say it doesn't matter. We're used to higher resolutions; because we're also used to screens and devices that can handle it being bigger. Riddle me this; merge the two screens, what would happen? Would you get more capabilities? Answer: Yes. The reason they had to go less powerful on the top screen is exactly that reason; they're outputting resources to two screens simultaneously, on a handheld system. SOMETHING has to give here.Next, I noticed you claimed the games were worse? Mind explaining that? I have about 9 games already. Only one would I consider to be only 'eh' quality, and that's Tetris. Lemme just go over some of the games, too, one in particular for certain. Animal Crossing. I played Wild World for the first time in a year right before I picked up New Leaf. Wild World, to put it bluntly, has not aged well in any terms. The graphics are worse than I recall, the frame rate is awful, I don't remember seeing any way to speed up the text, and it just was not very fun. That said, I've been spending the last week pretty much exclusively in New Leaf, as they actually made it fun again. I don't even remember what City Folk was like, of course. =P Mario Kart 7 gets a lot of flack for what it is; but it wasn't worse than DS. It's drifting mechanics are probably the best of the series(I've played like two minutes of MKWii, so it might've been introduced there), and while the mission mode being removed was disappointing, there's still everything else; and mission mode was in the series for... what, two entries?(Again, dunno about Double Dash or Wii, so it may have just been DS for all I know) Then there's Pokemon releasing in October, which is looking to bring a lot of better things to the series(8. Way. Movement.), and Fire Emblem, and so on and so forth. Also, heck; the DS having the best library of pretty much any handheld barring maybe the GBA is a good thing, because, you know, it can play DS games still.(Well, not Terminus', but his is a different case because it's a glitch.) Also, Luigi's Mansion.Also, the 3Ds is by no means expensive now. Are you stuck in 2011? 0_o If so, and it's early 2011, please tell everyone to riot early, ahead of the Legends 3 fiasco announcement, and maybe we might actually see that game. But seriously; the 3DS at it's current price is no more expensive than the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and it's even currently matching the DSi XL. And lemme also say this: I bought my 3DS, back at launch. I'm one of the early adopters. I paid 250 dollars for my system. The Xl is not expensive compared to that. And I also just wanna point out that the Vita runs you into the 300s or 400s if you also get a game, so it's still much worse off. =PIt's just; I don't get it. The 64 was much worse off; I think anyone will agree; simply because it had such a hold up with the Disc Drive add-on, which halted or changed up some games. And yet, I'd say that the 3DS has already passed that stage, since it hasn't had anything go wrong with it in those ways. There have been games canceled, yeah, back when people were still wary of the thing. Again, 2011.Also, for the record, while Sticker Star is bad for tossing out pretty much everything established and not even having much story; Dream Team isn't supposed to be anywhere close to that level. I don't know about Yoshi's Island, but... Well, his games have admittedly been hit or miss for a little while. =P(Never played the DS one, but i thought i heard something about how it could've been better)I'm gonna just end this post here, because I never really intended to wall of text this place. xP

Okay I guess I shouldn't really have brought up graphics, since I don't have much basis for saying it. But I don't like how the 3DS doesn't offer better graphics, which is silly. Bigger pixels are not better.

And merging screens? That's not how it works bro :P

And I admit that I wasn't old enough when all the N64 stuff was going on (I got a gamecube at 8), from what I've seen, the disk drive did just about nothing. In the modding forums, they even say that the expansion port does nothing and that no peripherals were made for it, because the disk drive is so rare and useless that it doesn't even count. I can't imagine that something with that description should do what you claim it did.

And if you want to say that the disk drive had an effect, do you want me to bring up right circle pads?

But don't think I'm being a fanboy for N64. Gamecube is my thing, it's just that portableizing it is harder. I just don't think that the 3ds is very good.

I just looked up the prices and I must say I had no idea they were so cheap. That definitely changes my outlook a bit!

And after what they did with OOT master quest, I discount DLC ports from other consoles to be fakes and not worth it. Why remake master quest to be easy and backwards? With different graphics? That's just wrong. But I can see other simpler stuff being fine.

And about yoshi's island: The first one was amazing. It's not even a nostalgia thing for me; it's a crazy good game. I got the DS one, and it's not that good. The difficulty is weird too. The first one was VERY hard for completion, but I've done it. It's a fun hard. The DS one is just an annoying hard. Like stuff hidden too well. I don't wanna whine about difficulty, but it was the wrong kind of difficult. I don't see how a new one is going to get better.

The graphics are actually quite nice. Especially when compared to DS graphics. But think judging a game on its graphics is a terrible thing to do.

The person above me mentioned animal crossing. I agree , Great, fun, lighthearted game.

I will admit that there are a few digital download games that I would really like to have but can't. And that annoys me to no end, but my 3DS is my favorite gaming system.

Yeah, I'll give you animal crossing. If they made a 3ds with gameboy slot, I would become a huge 3ds fanboy. But no, they want you to get DLC's. Maybe somebody can figure out a mod in the future, but I doubt it.

And if even professor layton has bad graphics on the 3ds, I don't see how it can have much better graphics than the DS did. Because no game on the DS could beat professor layton graphics.

Haha I'll have to remember not to waste my money :P

But if the 3d isn't what makes you want it, then it seems to me that you just want it because it's NEW.

Okay I guess I shouldn't really have brought up graphics, since I don't have much basis for saying it. But I don't like how the 3DS doesn't offer better graphics, which is silly. Bigger pixels are not better.

And merging screens? That's not how it works bro :P

And I admit that I wasn't old enough when all the N64 stuff was going on (I got a gamecube at 8), from what I've seen, the disk drive did just about nothing. In the modding forums, they even say that the expansion port does nothing and that no peripherals were made for it, because the disk drive is so rare and useless that it doesn't even count. I can't imagine that something with that description should do what you claim it did.

And if you want to say that the disk drive had an effect, do you want me to bring up right circle pads?

But don't think I'm being a fanboy for N64. Gamecube is my thing, it's just that portableizing it is harder. I just don't think that the 3ds is very good.

I just looked up the prices and I must say I had no idea they were so cheap. That definitely changes my outlook a bit!

And after what they did with OOT master quest, I discount DLC ports from other consoles to be fakes and not worth it. Why remake master quest to be easy and backwards? With different graphics? That's just wrong. But I can see other simpler stuff being fine.

And about yoshi's island: The first one was amazing. It's not even a nostalgia thing for me; it's a crazy good game. I got the DS one, and it's not that good. The difficulty is weird too. The first one was VERY hard for completion, but I've done it. It's a fun hard. The DS one is just an annoying hard. Like stuff hidden too well. I don't wanna whine about difficulty, but it was the wrong kind of difficult. I don't see how a new one is going to get better.

Yeah, I'll give you animal crossing. If they made a 3ds with gameboy slot, I would become a huge 3ds fanboy. But no, they want you to get DLC's. Maybe somebody can figure out a moderator in the future, but I doubt it.

And if even professor layton has bad graphics on the 3ds, I don't see how it can have much better graphics than the DS did. Because no game on the DS could beat professor layton graphics.

3DS is new now? You're right, It's only been out for what, 2 and a half years?

I remember I had almost the exact same reasons as you for not getting one. But I was wrong.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Oh boy.The 3D isn't the reason we want the system. It's the games. Think about it; do you buy a gaming system to look at pretty images, to listen to music, to take pictures, or to play games? We bought the system, because we like the games on it; and I certainly don't regret getting it, even at the higher launch price. Also, the system's been out for two years, as Shockwave just said. ._.

Have you seen the graphics of the 3DS at all? XL doesn't count, it's like the DSi models' comparison; I'm talking literal 3DS graphics. Just compare the 3DS to DS; do you not see a large difference between the two? The difference between the DS and 3DS is not simply 'bigger pixels', it's like going from the N64 to the Wii. In fact, it actually is, when you think about the upgrades they added. The 3DS isn't a '3D DS'; it's literally the third DS iteration, just like the GBA was the third Gameboy. The only difference is that the DSi added very little, compared to the Game Boy Colour.No; and it's also not what I meant, 'bro'. If there was only one screen, then they could've had one huge screen, kinda like what the Vita has. But they didn't. They got two 240 resolution screens. There's a reason they didn't go higher resolution, though; if they did, that would've been more resource intensive. More resource intensive means they would've been forced to put more memory in. More memory would've driven the price up, making it more expensive. More expensive means that people would have to be crazy to buy it even then. But, the dual screens are so good for handhelds; Etrian Odyssey is a VERY good example of this.I think you totally didn't understand what I meant. =P I wasn't praising the Disc Drive; it was a failure for a reason. It WOULD have added capabilities, like added capacity and such, but I never said how much. But I was hating the Disc Drive; because their focus on that, caused many good games to be canceled or reimagined. Ocarina of Time is one of those. Also, for your Expansion port comment, I bring up the Expansion Pak, without which you can't play Majora's Mask or Perfect Dark.Go ahead, but I don't know why. Alternate control schemes =/= canceling games because of a failed disc reading add-on. You should bring up the 32x from Sega instead, that's more relevant. =PExcept that the 3DS is already more or less a portable Gamecube, in terms of power. Only reason we haven't seen Gamecube games is because they'd have to manually port every single thing, rewriting code so that it's optimized for the system.There was a huge uproar in summer 2011 when Nintendo announced their 80 dollar price cut, so, yeah... =P... I don't think that word means what you think it does, bro. 'Downloadable Content' is not relevant to what you were just talking about. Also, making the game harder makes it easier now; nice to know. You do realize the difficulty's twice what normal game is, right? in terms of damage and the like? Also, the different graphics is because it's not 'just a port', it's a remake from the ground up. I never saw anyone have complaints about new graphics for something, before, though, I'll give you that. Did you not like SM64DS, then? Also, it's not just Master Quest that got revamped graphics, the entire game did...Which is exactly my point; though there's a Yoshi game on the N64 that you also didn't bring up, which was also what I was basing it on; though as a kid, I liked playing that game. Which leads back to my earlier point. I grew up with the N64(Well, and SNES and such too, but major gaming started when I got my Playstation and N64). I happen to like the system. And even I admit the library was nothing to truly write home about, compared to the PS1.
That's closer to the intended meaning, but still, wrong word there. >>' You're looking for 'downloadable game'; though yeah, Content does work for that. And it's DLC, not DLCs, but that's just me being picky. >>' Also, that actually just goes back to the price thing again; if they had a GBA slot in the system, it'd be bigger, bulkier, and most of all, more expensive. You can't have basically three systems in one and expect things to be cheap, after all. I mean, look at the first generation DS; before they remodeled it for the Lite(Which also made the GBA games stick out half an inch more or less), it was the bulkiest handheld I've seen; maybe just under the original Gameboy, which I never had. There's also the problem of the GBA games having internal batteries still; which means that in likely two years or less, the functions that actually rely on those, like growing berries in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and the time in the same games, will cease to work. Between that, and no-one even selling GBA games anymore(Except the internet), the virtual console is a GOOD thing.I... I don't even know what to say here. I just, what. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since I haven't played the Layton DS games; but I can name like 5 3DS games off the top of my head that utterly destroy any DS game in graphics, if not more. Terminus named 4.

Resident Evil: Revelations would like to argue with you. It honestly looks like earlier PS3 games.

Nobody I know ever really uses 3D, because it is gimmicky and doesn't always work that well, especially if you have the original model which scratches it's own screens.

It depends on the game. Ocarina of Time 3D looked amazing and had a real strong sense of depth, and Mario 3D Land occasionally threw something at you that required 3D. Fire Emblem looks pretty bad in 3D IMO, so I shut it off there for battery, and NSMB2 hurt my eyes (only game to do so), so I can't 3Dify that game. Luigi's Mansion and Kid Icarus looked pretty good with it, but I still don't think any games have looked as nice in 3D as OoT, which is kinda odd because that was the first big game on the system.

As for the scratches, I noticed what was happening after a month or two, and just placed a cleaning cloth between the screens whenever I close the system. It avoids all scratches that way.

Except that the 3DS is already more or less a portable Gamecube, in terms of power. Only reason we haven't seen Gamecube games is because they'd have to manually port every single thing, rewriting code so that it's optimized for the system.There was a huge uproar in summer 2011 when Nintendo announced their 80 dollar price cut, so, yeah... =P... I don't think that word means what you think it does, bro. 'Downloadable Content' is not relevant to what you were just talking about. Also, making the game harder makes it easier now; nice to know. You do realize the difficulty's twice what normal game is, right? in terms of damage and the like? Also, the different graphics is because it's not 'just a port', it's a remake from the ground up. I never saw anyone have complaints about new graphics for something, before, though, I'll give you that. Did you not like SM64DS, then? Also, it's not just Master Quest that got revamped graphics, the entire game did...

3DS is actually around the power of the Wii (which is approximately 2.5x stronger than the GCN), so it's a bit more powerful than the GCN.

And I did hate Mario 64 DS, but it was solely because of the map, which completely ruined everything that Mario 64 was about and started the tradition of not having to find things in Mario games and effectively ruining my childhood in the long run. Hate on me all you want, but I say Mario 64 and Sunshine > Galaxy and onward because I liked exploring. The map itself wasn't bad, but the fact that they actually marked the star on your map is what killed it.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

..I said that the new yoshi's island game is new, I didn't say the 3ds is new.

By expansion port I meant the thing on the bottom. Maybe it's called something else.

But now you're talking about hardware, and why it can't be more expensive. Why is it that somebody can easily and cheaply make a good, high-res portable gamecube, but nintendo, who has factories and custom parts, can't even get close to that?

If they hadn't focused on the stupid 3D gimmick, there could have been so much potential, so much power, so many more good in-depth games. But instead, they tied themselves to the DS's design, and a stupid gimmick.

This is the modern world, so why is the 3ds so underpowered? I'm willing to bet that nintendo is just trying to make massive profit off this; make a [boink] console for $50 and sell for $120, instead of making an amazing $100 system and selling for $150.

I'd bet that we have the technology now to make this affordable and reasonable.

Heck if we can make THIS for just $300, what are you doing Nintendo?

Looks like I'm really just resentful that nintendo isn't doing what it's capable of. If I can make a portable N64 using only products that were available during the time of the N64, why couldn't nintendo? I want a more powerful handheld that can play more intensive games.

Edit: Please don't bypass the filter!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

By expansion port I meant the thing on the bottom. Maybe it's called something else.

But now you're talking about hardware, and why it can't be more expensive. Why is it that somebody can easily and cheaply make a good, high-res portable gamecube, but nintendo, who has factories and custom parts, can't even get close to that?

If they hadn't focused on the stupid 3D gimmick, there could have been so much potential, so much power, so many more good in-depth games. But instead, they tied themselves to the DS's design, and a stupid gimmick.

This is the modern world, so why is the 3ds so underpowered? I'm willing to bet that nintendo is just trying to make massive profit off this; make a cr@ppy console for $50 and sell for $120, instead of making an amazing $100 system and selling for $150.

Looks like I'm really just resentful that nintendo isn't doing what it's capable of. If I can make a portable N64 using only products that were available during the time of the N64, why couldn't nintendo? I want a more powerful handheld that can play more intensive games.

3D is as much a gimmick as HD, because on screens that small, you really can't tell the difference between 240p and 1080p.

And it is not underpowered! I just said above that the 3DS is around the power of the Wii, so it's a bit stronger than the GCN.

And you want more intensive games? I still feel that the GCN has the best library of any console ever, but the 3DS is getting pretty darn close, and it's only been out for 2 years. It is a lot stronger than you seem to realize, and is an all-around fantastic system. I think my only complaint is that the Web Browser doesn't support YouTube. That's really it. Other than that, it's a perfect console.

This is the modern world, so why is the 3ds so underpowered? I'm willing to bet that nintendo is just trying to make massive profit off this; make a cr@ppy console for $50 and sell for $120, instead of making an amazing $100 system and selling for $150.

3D is as much a gimmick as HD, because on screens that small, you really can't tell the difference between 240p and 1080p.

And it is not underpowered! I just said above that the 3DS is around the power of the Wii, so it's a bit stronger than the GCN.

And you want more intensive games? I still feel that the GCN has the best library of any console ever, but the 3DS is getting pretty darn close, and it's only been out for 2 years. It is a lot stronger than you seem to realize, and is an all-around fantastic system. I think my only complaint is that the Web Browser doesn't support YouTube. That's really it. Other than that, it's a perfect console.

Wii power? What?

Then why don't they have GCN games on DLC?

My opinion is changing about the console thanks to you guys >:( lol

But I still don't like the games for it so much. Why are they making a top-down zelda when they could be giving us stuff like Twilight Princess?

And I wasn't saying that the Nvida shield is cool because of the HD; it's a freaking gaming laptop IN AN XBOX CONTROLLER! If that's not the best we can do in this decade, I don't know what is! :D

Really? Didn't look like that to me, considering there was no mention of it in that part of the post. =PWell then yeah; it was made simply for the disc drive, in anticipation of that not being a failure. =PBecause you keep not realizing what I'm saying. They have to drive two, effectively three screens when the 3D is on; and do all that at 30 FPS or higher. Even without the 3D, they still wouldn't be able to handle a larger screen without making it more expensive, simply because it's gotta drive two screens at once./facepalm. Okay, seriously. 'potential'? 'power'? What do those have to do with 'good in-depth games'? Graphics =/= gameplay. Never has, never will. The only time the two go together is if you want flashy effects; and even still, that's only really taken into effect for some things. Also, I'll have you know that I'd take the DS design over any other system, because the second screen is more useful than one small screen, even if it's 720p. Why? Because of maps, dang it. Maps, quick inventory switching; all those things are useful enough for me, that I'd not want to play it. You play Etrian Odyssey, you'll never want to play it without maps. And without a second screen; what would you do? Mark out the maps old-school style? I personally wouldn't mind, but I bet you there's a lot of people who would, because we've moved past that. The second screen also helps by, you know, removing clutter. Remember what I said about the small screen? Imagine this screen being 720p. I can. I can also imagine not being able to read a single thing.If you listened to me, then maybe you'd understand. Two screens. Each running two different things. What do you expect? And it's not even 'underpowered' anyway; it's actually ahead of it's time. This should've been the Gamecube equivalent, instead it's the Wii equivalent. It's one generation back from us. Maybe you just refuse to see it, but there are games on this system that either were from the Wii or got remade for other systems, without too much change. Also, the last article actually has a screenshot of the 3DS version, so yeah.Not with that form factor we don't. Or, actually, I think I'm exaggerating. We likely DO have technology... But it would not be worth it at all. Why? Because of the screen, because of the resolution, because of the discs, and because of the bulkiness. See the next section for more details.What are they doing? Making it so you aren't dragging around an N64, just to play games on the go. Lemme put it into perspective for you. You want a portable next gen system, with a good screen, 720p resolution, and cheap? Go grab one of the Wii U's gamepads and look at it. That's about the size it would have to be, though it'd have a gamecard slot instead, and not be reliant on the Wii U. See, this is the thing. People don't want to just play their home console games at home with what's pretty much then an oversized controller, when it's supposed to be a portable console. THis is exactly what the Vita is doing wrong aside from the overpriced memory cards. Between the battery(Enjoy having the thing die in two seconds flat with what you want), the price, the size, and the screens; it's NOT technically possible for the things you ask right now. Things aren't small enough just yet for what we need for a system with the form factor of the 3DS. And as you increase the resolution of the screen, you'll need a bigger one; which will eventually mean you're just dragging your Wii U's gamepad around everywhere; or word, since to make that into the DS line, it would need another screen. It'd be like the PSOne in size, then.That's the problem; they couldn't at the time, because screens were not as viable as they are today; nor was memory. But; that said, why would you want a portable N64, when we have a Portable Wii in terms of power RIGHT NOW? When you can have a game from the Wii be updated and released on the 3DS, and have said game run better than the Wii version did.../EDIT: I'm getting slow in my old age. xPThe 3DS is on par with the Wii. It's a Wii with better shaders, without the motion 'gimmick', as you like to throw around.Because they can't just take console games and toss them on a console.(And for that case, you mean the eShop, not 'DLC'... DLC is add-on content for a game; unless you now mean the system's a game...) You'd need to take the engine, mess with it, and then release it separately. Or in the case of Virtual Console games, emulate it.Nice. =PBecause people asked for it. Unlike certain companies, Nintendo actually likely to listen to their fanbases once in a while. Regardless of the existence of 3D Zelda, there still is a fanbase for the top down games, as seen by Minish Cap, the oracles, people still treating Link To The Past as if it's the best game... That said, I was admittedly slightly disappointed at first myself, just because OoT 3D was handled so well. =(It's been done before(Tablets have had controller add-ons for the last few years); and it's not a laptop. It's a tablet. This is just the first time they've attached the two, which should hopefully not have input lag. =P Also, IIRC, it's still not 1080p, so in terms of power, it's not the 'best we can do'... That, and it doesn't run full games natively; just tablet games, with streaming from your computer. =P So, if your computer is old and outdated like mine, or doesn't have the newest NVidia card, then you're kinda outta luck for running a game like Bioshock Infinite or Sonic Generations on the Shield. =P

Wii power? What?

Then why don't they have GCN games on DLC?

My opinion is changing about the console thanks to you guys > :( lol

But I still don't like the games for it so much. Why are they making a top-down zelda when they could be giving us stuff like Twilight Princess?

And I wasn't saying that the Nvida shield is cool because of the HD; it's a freaking gaming laptop IN AN XBOX CONTROLLER! If that's not the best we can do in this decade, I don't know what is! :D

Because Nintendo thinks people want top-down Zelda games, and there are certainly people who do. They don't have downloadable GCN games because lack of analogue shoulder buttons (same reason as Wii U), and the 3DS is also short a Z button and second analogue stick. It would be doable with the Circle Pad Pro, but this is Nintendo. They don't think of stuff like that.

Though I do wish they'd give the new Smash Bros. better graphics, because cel-shaded just doesn't fit with Smash Bros. IMO. I liked how Brawl was all realistic and gritty looking, and Smash 4 on both consoles is a step back graphically.

Have you seen the size of the N64 controllers? How about a game gear? I'd be fine with that.

Anyway TLDR, I skimmed :P

I don't give a poop about resolution unless it's so bad that it affects gameplay. I was talking about power, because I didn't think that the 3DS had the ABILITY to run games like twilight princess, which as we all know, can't run on an N64 because it just didn't have the power for the polygons.

I'm fine with arcade games and top-downs, but I like me a good graphics-intensive 3D huge-world big game from time to time. I didn't think that the 3DS could do it. It probably can't with that screen.

I just want nintendo to quit with the gimmicks. Focus more on the games. Bring down prices, make things more efficient.

And I don't think that two screens should be a priority in handheld gaming. It didn't serve the DS too well, and I can't imagine it's helping massively with the 3DS. I remember countless games where they had to just put filler on one screen because there was nothing to do with it. Get a bigger screen with the graphical ability for a good big game like a 3d zelda game.

And if size matters to you, why bring up tablets?

I'm excited about google glass; if we can hack that to display wireless video, imagine what you can do: Get a retrode on your laptop in a backpack and a hacked wavebird controller, and now you can play any retro game, any time :D Or just use ROMs and get even more! (I'm a cartridge gamer.)

And I'm not saying top-down is bad; I got minish cap recently, and I LOVE it. But one of the things I love about it was that they really though about the gameplay; they fit a huge game into such a tiny map! They were efficient with their code, and it shows in the game's superior quality. I want nintendo games to start thinking about the MAXIMUM power that they can do, and do that. Make a top-down LoZ game, but just keep adding more features until you literally run out of memory on the card!

And what? Smash Bros will be cell shaded! Gimme a 3DS now, I LOVE cell shading! <3

Oh and I already said why I don't like DLC retro games; they change them. I want unaltered. They redid master quest completely! That's terrible!

I'm fine with arcade games and top-downs, but I like me a good graphics-intensive 3D huge-world big game from time to time. I didn't think that the 3DS could do it. It probably can't with that screen.

I just want nintendo to quit with the gimmicks. Focus more on the games. Bring down prices, make things more efficient.

And I don't think that two screens should be a priority in handheld gaming. It didn't serve the DS too well, and I can't imagine it's helping massively with the 3DS. I remember countless games where they had to just put filler on one screen because there was nothing to do with it. Get a bigger screen with the graphical ability for a good big game like a 3d zelda game.

And what? Smash Bros will be cell shaded! Gimme a 3DS now, I LOVE cell shading! <3

Oh and I already said why I don't like DLC retro games; they change them. I want unaltered. They redid master quest completely! That's terrible!

Well, the 3DS can do that big stuff. The Wii U, on the other hand, is underpowered, though again, I like the gimmick. 2 screens is useful for inventory and maps. Nothing more, but there's nothing more I want from it.

I love cel-shading where it fits. Smash Bros. is a deep competitive fighter (even if they don't try to make it so), and the realistic graphics were perfect for it. This new game is just so... ugly...

But I take it you've not seen the trailer then? Hold up:

Your life is now 31 times better.

I really don't get where the "bad graphics" is coming from.

Two screens has done absolute wonders for a lot of games. Don't say it hasn't. Really. Just don't.

Seriously. It has all the buttons off a game system while having the potential to add to those as well as being able to give you more screen space and it makes things like scribblenauts not a nightmare to play.

And besides. No other company has Metroid.

Edited by ~Shockwave~

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Two screens has done absolute wonders for a lot of games. Don't say it hasn't. Really. Just don't.

Seriously. It has all the buttons off a game system while having the potential to add to those as well as being able to give you more screen space and it makes things like scribblenauts not a nightmare to play.

3DS doesn't have Metroid either...

3DS doesn't have Metroid either...

Yeah... :no: But neither does WiiU. Yet.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Well a lot of the games I have for DS basically use the bottom screen as a pause screen.

I admit that a few games really HAVE to have the extra screen, but there are a LOT of things you could add that wouldn't benefit most games. I don' think 2 screens is overly important.

And yeah, I've seen that trailer, but it looks to me like most or all of that was the wii game. I wouldn't be able to get a sense for the graphics unless they showed me at the 3DS's resolution.

And don't hate me, but I didn't like the metroid prime games. Absolute worst control scheme I have ever seen in my entire life. It's like they took a bet and tried to make the most convoluted and terrible layout they could think of while still making it somewhat playable. I wouldn't deal with that, so I ragequit.

When I get a laptop that's actually capable of gaming, I'll get the rom for it and change the control scheme so it's actually doable. That would be nice.

Haven't played the 2d metroid yet though. It's on my to-play list.

Well a lot of the games I have for DS basically use the bottom screen as a pause screen.

I admit that a few games really HAVE to have the extra screen, but there are a LOT of things you could add that wouldn't benefit most games. I don' think 2 screens is overly important.

And yeah, I've seen that trailer, but it looks to me like most or all of that was the wii game. I wouldn't be able to get a sense for the graphics unless they showed me at the 3DS's resolution.

And don't hate me, but I didn't like the metroid prime games. Absolute worst control scheme I have ever seen in my entire life. It's like they took a bet and tried to make the most convoluted and terrible layout they could think of while still making it somewhat playable. I wouldn't deal with that, so I ragequit.

When I get a laptop that's actually capable of gaming, I'll get the rom for it and change the control scheme so it's actually doable. That would be nice.

It looked completely different from the Wii game. Brawl was all realistic and gritty style, while this game is all bright and colorful and it makes me want to vomit a bit even though Mega Man makes it look like the best game ever made.

At 3DS resolution: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/e/eb/Gerudo_Valley_Fight.gif

A few do yes. But not many. And, yes, it's convoluted, but the gamecube controller was weird, give them a break.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

What the... /sighs. Okay, steve, gonna spell it out for you right at the top here, okay? Ocarina of Time 3D, Master Quest or otherwise, is a remake, and is not a download game, it got a physical release, and when it released, there weren't even retail games available on the eShop. DLC does not mean 'any downloaded game ever', otherwise the entirety of Steam would be classified DLC, which it isn't. DLC is content packs for games. And Master Quest definitely isn't DLC, as you simply have to beat the game to unlock it.Onto normal...I have an N64, of course I know the size of it. The problem is, you're not gonna get that size. Heck, the shield's already bigger than that. if you've seen a Wii U gamepad before, it'd be that size, or bigger. Definitely not pocket material.Go play Goldeneye or Monster Hunter tri on a CRT and say that again to me... I know from personal experience what increasing resolution on a game while keeping the screen small does. it's not pretty. it's the sole reason I don't have a Wii U yet.It can do that, though; have you not seen Kid Icarus Uprising yet? or, heck, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate does that pretty well. Background loading still seems to be an issue(But that's probably more because people are still trying to figure out how to do that in general), but people make big world games all the time.That's the thing though; they've always been about gimmicks. Have you not seen the N64 and Gamecube controllers? They may not have fit the 'gimmicks' into gameplay like they did here(Which was entirely a 'make games fun, instead of relying on expensive to develop untested technology' decision. I'm guessing you never saw the PS3's initial price...), but they were certainly there from a hardware perspective. And again, that freaking disc drive for the N64. (Also, the Gamecube had 3D capabilities too)I swear you're ignoring everything I say about Etrian Odyssey. ._. lemme find a video. Can't find one that works well to show what I mean. But basically, you have a map on the bottom screen that updates as you go through the dungeons. Those things would be pretty dang hard to navigate otherwise. And bigger screens doesn't really help when the system you're using is a portable system. Kinda hard to have a TV in your pocket, isn't it? If you eventually want a huge screen, it'd be kinda like that. Also, some games might do that, but a good majority use it for good things. OoT was improved because of that, because of the inventory being on the bottom screen, which was a HUGE time saver in the Water Temple.You brought up tablets by calling the shield a laptop. It's not a laptop. It's a tablet disguised as a game console.Eh, might be cool, but I'd rather have new games than tons of retro ones, and you don't seem to recognize that that'd eat through batteries like nothing else. =PThen why complain about this? We still have little clue about anything more than that it's set in the world of LttP, which is in itself awesome, since it's LTTP Hyrule in freaking 2.5D.Yep; cel shaded. I personally don't mind, but, well, you can see others do. =P/points at the virtual console. Nothing changed there; except adding in save states, like is standard for most things that emulate games nowadays./EDIT: Don't mind me, I'm glad I didn't have a Sonic avatar here. That'd be awkward.Some games do that, but those are the exception to the rule. Go play the Pokemon games, and then say the second screen isn't needed.The entire first part with the outlined characters is the 3Ds version.I guess you hate 9/10 first person shooter games that use a controller. =P

No; I'm talking to Steve through the entire post, you guys just post a lot. =P Like, yeah, the GC controller was at fault for most of it, but it's not like there aren't a ton of other shooters that use a similar interface, unless I'm missing something here. xP

It looked completely different from the Wii game. Brawl was all realistic and gritty style, while this game is all bright and colorful and it makes me want to vomit a bit even though Mega Man makes it look like the best game ever made.

At 3DS resolution: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/e/eb/Gerudo_Valley_Fight.gif

Oh poo that is amazing cell shading I am in love

A few do yes. But not many. And, yes, it's convoluted, but the gamecube controller was weird, give them a break.

DO NOT BLASPHEME! The GC controller is the best controller that mankind will ever create >:U

I clench my hands pretty bad when I concentrate. When I plax xbox for just an hour, their controller starts to hurt my hands. Gameboys are okay, DS sucks, but I can play GC all day without it hurting at all (And have!)

I wish everything used GC controllers T.T

What the... /sighs. Okay, steve, gonna spell it out for you right at the top here, okay? Ocarina of Time 3D, Master Quest or otherwise, is a remake, and is not a download game, it got a physical release, and when it released, there weren't even retail games available on the eShop. DLC does not mean 'any downloaded game ever', otherwise the entirety of Steam would be classified DLC, which it isn't. DLC is content packs for games. And Master Quest definitely isn't DLC, as you simply have to beat the game to unlock it.Onto normal...I have an N64, of course I know the size of it. The problem is, you're not gonna get that size. Heck, the shield's already bigger than that. if you've seen a Wii U gamepad before, it'd be that size, or bigger. Definitely not pocket material.Go play Goldeneye or Monster Hunter tri on a CRT and say that again to me... I know from personal experience what increasing resolution on a game while keeping the screen small does. it's not pretty. it's the sole reason I don't have a Wii U yet.It can do that, though; have you not seen Kid Icarus Uprising yet? or, heck, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate does that pretty well. Background loading still seems to be an issue(But that's probably more because people are still trying to figure out how to do that in general), but people make big world games all the time.That's the thing though; they've always been about gimmicks. Have you not seen the N64 and Gamecube controllers? They may not have fit the 'gimmicks' into gameplay like they did here(Which was entirely a 'make games fun, instead of relying on expensive to develop untested technology' decision. I'm guessing you never saw the PS3's initial price...), but they were certainly there from a hardware perspective. And again, that freaking disc drive for the N64. (Also, the Gamecube had 3D capabilities too)I swear you're ignoring everything I say about Etrian Odyssey. ._. lemme find a video. Can't find one that works well to show what I mean. But basically, you have a map on the bottom screen that updates as you go through the dungeons. Those things would be pretty dang hard to navigate otherwise. And bigger screens doesn't really help when the system you're using is a portable system. Kinda hard to have a TV in your pocket, isn't it? If you eventually want a huge screen, it'd be kinda like that. Also, some games might do that, but a good majority use it for good things. OoT was improved because of that, because of the inventory being on the bottom screen, which was a HUGE time saver in the Water Temple.You brought up tablets by calling the shield a laptop. It's not a laptop. It's a tablet disguised as a game console.Eh, might be cool, but I'd rather have new games than tons of retro ones, and you don't seem to recognize that that'd eat through batteries like nothing else. =PThen why complain about this? We still have little clue about anything more than that it's set in the world of LttP, which is in itself awesome, since it's LTTP Hyrule in freaking 2.5D.Yep; cel shaded. I personally don't mind, but, well, you can see others do. =P/points at the virtual console. Nothing changed there; except adding in save states, like is standard for most things that emulate games nowadays./EDIT: Don't mind me, I'm glad I didn't have a Sonic avatar here. That'd be awkward.Some games do that, but those are the exception to the rule. Go play the Pokemon games, and then say the second screen isn't needed.The entire first part with the outlined characters is the 3Ds version.I guess you hate 9/10 first person shooter games that use a controller. =P

Okay, then I didn't know what DLC meant :P I just thought it was anything downloaded, and I didn't know OOT was a physical release. It was on the eshop right? I'm pretty sure that's how my friend has it.

"You're not gonna get that size"

HA You're wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PntgEooCZmk

And that's custom made, imagine what a factory could do!

So yeah finally I'm right about something in this thread XD

Actually I was ignoring everything you said about Etrian Odyssey, because of TLDR. Consolidate pl0x :P And maps are for start buttons :P

I didn't really say it was a laptop, I meant that it has the equivalent of gaming laptop hardware and specs.

And I didn't say that virtual machines change it. I said that the ports to 3ds do.

And Shockwave, I was the one that doesn't like metroid prime.

Edited by Steve the Squid

*facedesk* maps are wherever they feel like putting them. I personally like just looking a few inches down (or up) to see my location.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Yeah; the cel shading is rather awesome, to me. And it makes sense, too, considering a lot of the other options tossed around before included having just your character on a screen, like training mode. =PI like the Gamecube controller too, but I dunno about the best. That ABXY layout. xPYes, they added it to the eShop maybe last year or so. It's been out since Summer 2011. =P But no, DLC is for the add-on patches people like to sell nowadays. =PHmm. Well, okay, I'll give you that; but I also technically meant that you're not gonna get something like that if you want a portable Wii U. Since the GamePad pretty much shows what THAT would be like. =P(And if you want a Portable Wii, then again... =P) Though... Might it be possible that it's that good because it was custom made? Like how you could get an awesome computer if you gathered parts yourself and made it, but a computer bought at a store is capped at certain things?Not for THESE maps. =P You draw them as you go, and... Well, why should maps be relegated to a button you have to activate? They should be visible at all times, in my opinion, if people are going to have a map in the first place. It's like saying Racing Games should have their rear view mirror on the menu; or heck, even the minimap on the menu as well. It just breaks the flow more than it needs to. =/"it's a freaking gaming laptop IN AN XBOX CONTROLLER!" You accidentally a word. =PThen again, it's not DLC. xP And it changed it because it's a remake. =P(And really... Stuff like ocarina hasn't really aged well. It's like going back to play Sonic Adventure after Generations, it... it just doesn't look right. xP)

*facedesk* maps are wherever they feel like putting them. I personally like just looking a few inches down (or up) to see my location.

You'd sacrifice all the stuff we've been bringing up because you want a second screen you don't have to press ONE button? Not worth it IMO.

I don't see what's wrong with the abxy layout. It's easier to remember where they are. When I play Partners in Time, you have to know perfectly which button is which without even thinking, and with such even geometry I get them mixed up and don't do as well as I should.

Pick your poison on the portable wii:

Laptop: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/04/4-17-08-wii-lcd.jpg

Handheld: http://cdn.ubergizmo.com/photos/2010/5/wii-portable-mod-ebay.jpg

And again, those are simple mods. Wii mods are hard to do, but imagine what a factory can do. And forget the motion, few good games REQUIRED it in my experience. Or at least didn't need it.

Have you every played mario kart wii? There is no issue with rear view being a simple button press.

If you can manage to fit a gaming laptop inside of an xbox controller and manage to stretch out the controller to something that even closely resembles a laptop, then MAYBE I'd understand how you misunderstood me :P

And I know it's a remake, but I see it this way:

A) You're the kind of person that played the game as a kid, and want the nostalgia, not a new game.

B) You're the kind of person that hasn't played the game before, so it's a new game for you whether or not they remade it.

So why change it?

I'd sacrifice it for a map like in Etrian Odyssey, and for better inventory management and the like, yeah. When was the last time you played through the Water Temple in OoT?It's actually hitting the buttons that's the problem, and remembering whether X or Y is on the left or right. =P As for the DS layout, I have that thing memorized. =PUrgh; do not want. My screen's bad enough, I dunno if the screen crunch would be worth it. =P As for the motion, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess(Because you never said anything about having it adapted), Sonic Colours... I could go on. =PI didn't say button press, as that's normal; I said opening the menu. =PI see exactly what you mean, yeah.To make it look less dated. The nostalgia is still there, just without Link looking odd. =P That nose... hahaha! /Doctor Who reference

Well, it's easy to remember if you think 'Y = Attack, B = Jump', like I had to recall when I played through the DS Megaman sidescrollers. =PSkyward Sword most definitely DID need the motion aspect. xP Since, well, it was 1:1 swordplay, remember? And yeah, TP was on the GC, but I thought this was a portable Wii, and therefore, would mostly be for Wii games? =P(Also, how would you handle the menu, since it's not a touch screen? =P)Yep. =P