Flying is Fun

25K Now!

Jovan really likes flying.

Really, really likes flying.

You see, ever since he was a Matoran, Jovan had always wished to take to the skies and declare that he ruled over the universe. It was why he had immediately taken a powerless Kadin following the destruction of his original mask. After all, he would need a Mask of Flight if he ever wanted to fly (seeing that he lived in a small backwater village in the middle of nowhere, he had a much greater chance of becoming a Toa than even obtaining a flying machine), even if it would take millennia for him to become an actual Toa.

So it was rather fortunate that his village was attacked by several Doom Vipers only a few years following his acquisition of the Kadin.

Everyone in his village believed that they were doomed (which was obvious, because they were being attacked by Doom Vipers), but not Jovan. He believed that it was the perfect situation for a heroic Toa to come out of nowhere and save them all, because that was how all the stories worked.

The guy had always been pretty naive.

Of course, seeing that the Matoran Universe runs on the laws of narrative (or to be exact, it was not Jovan's destiny to die via Doom Viper), a Toa did come out of nowhere and save them all.

The specifics of the heroic rescue, however, were not exactly very heroic, as Helryx had simply been a rookie Hand of Artakha enforcer who was incredibly bored, so decided to let off some steam by killing the two Doom Vipers in a horrific fashion by flooding their lungs and increasing the pressure so they exploded. She had not even noticed the villagers until they started to praise her!

It was during this event when Jovan seized his chance, and had leapt onto Helryx's leg, holding on for dear life and begging to be turned into a Toa like her. In usual circumstances, the first Toa would have drowned him for daring to touch her leg, but she had been in a good mood that day, and the paperwork she would have to fill out if she killed him was not worth it.

That was why she acquiesced to his demands and chucked a Toa stone at his head.

Helryx never visited Jovan's village again, but the newly transformed Toa of Magnetism never really cared. He could fly with the powers of his mask, and that was all that mattered to him. He had achieved his dream of flying, and that was all he had ever wanted.

It was only a century later when he realised that as a Toa, he had responsibilities, and was required to help out the Matoran in any way he could. So one day he left the village, and went on adventures, defeating Rahi, attempting to learn everything, and being an all-around cool flying guy.

He also saved the universe in the wake of the Matoran Civil War by leading a team to retrieve the Ignika, but that wasn't very important.

Surprisingly enough, Jovan decided to settle down, having successfully fulfilled his destiny as the SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE. He had not wanted to, but he knew what would happen if one did not follow their destiny, and he didn't want to suffer (hint: the fate of those who did not conform to the narrative laws of the universe would die a gruesome death). So the Toa of Magnetism had chucked a rock of Toa power somewhere, turned into a Turaga, and became a teacher for the ignorant masses that lived on Voya Nui.

Jovan still ended up dying a gruesome death.

That is, in our eyes.

For him?

There was nothing better than dying after being flung into the air by Voya Nui's sudden upheaval.

Because after all ...

He was flying.

Wow, this is very good! I love the humoristic approach to the story, but in a way that doesn't make it impossible to be canon. We know nothing about Jovan as a Matoran, or Toa, or Turaga... these kind of stories are always welcome.

You also gave Jovan a personality. He didn't have any before. And it happens to be a personality I find appealing. A bit like Matau, but with more control.

The beginning and ending tie together well, too.

A point of criticism would be that there are too many brackets in the story, although that was probably intentional and fit the comedic mood of the tale. Also, whenever someone uses Helryx in any story, I get angry inside because I depsise the reveal of the first Toa so much... but that's not your fault.

I'm gonna consider this canon from now on, just so you know.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked this story, this is the first time I've ever seen anybody give a personality to Jovan. It's a good personality for him too, it really reflects his Kadin use. I can't stress how much I liked the ending, I was laughing out loud after I read that...

My BZPRPG Profiles

If you interact with me, and I haven't responded after a while, feel free to PM me.