Perhaps it was the excessive doses of a certain tropey website that got me thinking. Before I begin, I would like to ask you to sit down. Now, please do not take this as something that is meant to flame HF fans, Bionicle fans, other Lego fans, Belgian rugs, or anybody else. This is a theory of mine. Upon looking at the basic story line of Savage Planet, I realized how eerily similar it was to the storyline of Bionicle year one. Now bear with me here, I'm going to summarize both tales in layman's terms. I know that some details are quite different, but I'll address that later. Savage Planet: 6 heroes who need a lesson in teamwork and are built to save the universe are sent to a wild setting where monsters are rampaging. It then turns out that through the use of what might be seen as a plot device, (Quaza spikes) a mysterious and somewhat demonic Big Bad (Witch Doctor) is behind everything. A super-powered version of the heroes (Rocka XL) assists them in taking on the villain, and they ultimately defeat him. 2001: 6 heroes who need a lesson in teamwork and are built to save the universe are sent to a wild setting where monsters are rampaging. It then turns out that through the use of what might be seen as a plot device (infected masks), a mysterious and somewhat demonic Big Bad (Makuta Teridax) is behind everything. A super-powered version of the heroes (Toa Kaita) assists them in taking on the villain, and they ultimately defeat him.But wait, there's more! Quaza and Kanohi are both sources of power that can be used for good or evil. And I'm not done. Both lines are made by the same people (essentially), and were created almost exactly ten years apart.Coincidence? I sincerely doubt it. Of course, there are several details that are different in either storyline. But when you strip it down, they both seem the same. Now, there are only three possible reasons behind this. First, Lego is making a subconscious tribute to Bionicle. This happens to writers, including me. Certain things that we enjoyed are transmitted without our knowledge into our works.The second reason is that Savage Planet is an intentional tribute. This is another way of Lego saying goodbye to one of it's most famous and successful franchises ever. Also, it would tell the old tale so many know and love to a new audience in a new way. In other words, using the same formula that worked ten years ago. In addition, old fans of Bionicle will approve of the spiritual successor even more, since it celebrates its father series's tenth anniversary. The third reason is one that I think is slightly harsh and far fetched, unless someone provides more evidence for it: Lego, ladies and gentlemen, is running out of ideas. They need to recycle something that worked before, change a few details, and put it in the market to make more money. Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing this to help pay the bills at home, and maintain their lifestyle, but it is quite sad that creativity is going down the tubes, if this idea is correct. No, this does not mean that I think Greg is losing his style. He is one of my inspirations, and won't be 'stale' for me for a long time. I am pointing out the possibility that LEGO'S creativity going stale, not his. I, MakutaKlak, somewhat believe that it is the second reason that is true. Lego is making a conscious tribute to the line we all know and love. Discuss at your discretion. Shoot down whatever you think is wrong, and support whatever you think is right. I still think this is an interesting similarity, and I sincerely doubt that it is mere coincidence. I think the lines are supposed to be the same storylinewise (making up words is WUNDERBAR). Again, I don't want to hurt anyone. I just have to tell it like it is.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

Does Greg Farshtey actually write Hero Factory-ness? i thought he was doing Ninjago instead. Also, your theory is solid. Bringing stuff back for younger people. makes sense, puts food on the table. obviously they cant copy it, so they make changes. Personally the only reason i dont like hero factory was the first movie they made. They used the word "Hero" and "Quassy" sooo many times it put me off. otherwise i could stand it. its sort of like a tribute yes. Essentially Bionicle is more... Fantasy-ish (with elements and powers and what not) where as HF is sci-fi-ish (with ships and guns and what not) so i gett what you mean

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

Does Greg Farshtey actually write Hero Factory-ness? i thought he was doing Ninjago instead. Also, your theory is solid. Bringing stuff back for younger people. makes sense, puts food on the table. obviously they cant copy it, so they make changes. Personally the only reason i dont like hero factory was the first movie they made. They used the word "Hero" and "Quassy" sooo many times it put me off. otherwise i could stand it. its sort of like a tribute yes. Essentially Bionicle is more... Fantasy-ish (with elements and powers and what not) where as HF is sci-fi-ish (with ships and guns and what not) so i gett what you mean

Yeah, he writes some of the story. Read about it on HEROsector01 next time. Also, it's not "Quassy", it's "Quaza". ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I would... but i cant. Not that i dont want to, my computer LITERALLY wont allow it. Quassy was supposed to be Quaza, but due to a mental disorder it came out wrong(i have this thing where i think a head of my self and then write it. Just because i know not to write Quassy, does not mean my hand will get the message before writing it down)So he writes a bit of both im with you.

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

Thanks for your support everyone!

I think all your theories are valid, but I must admit that while I was watching it the third one was the one that sprang to my mind. Ah well.

Interesting. I thought of that as well upon discovering it, but since I thought it was a bit of a dire conclusion, I had changed my mind. Unless, of course, I'm wrong, and you're right. Is there evidence to suggest so?

The Krika Show Season 2 

Does Greg Farshtey actually write Hero Factory-ness? i thought he was doing Ninjago instead.

Wait, Greg is doing Ninjago?
Yeah, he has also written some Ninjago books, which I haven't seen yet, but they seem good.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

It would make sense that Lego decided to do this. It pleases fans, celebrates Bionicle's tenth anniversary, and, most importantly, they don't have to come up with a new plot. :P I've noticed it's actually something that's happening a lot now- Lego recycles themes, and it pleases fans. Not that it's a bad thing, I love the Pharaoh's Quest line, and it takes a lot from the initial Adventurers theme.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I suppose it could be seen that way. It's definitely a plausible idea when you put it how you did. The thing is how there's too much emphasis on Hero and tech and stuff. 01 had more...substance, for lack of a better term, in its story. Despite being relatively simple, it still beat out Savage Planet.

Undergoing Renovations...

However, it should be noted that Greg is not part of the HF Story Team.

I think he is. He wrote the scripts to the HF comics.
He adapted the tv episodes into comics, but he doesn't have any part on the story decisions. He just worked on the comics because that's his job.

AXKP5KC.png

He adapted the tv episodes into comics, but he doesn't have any part on the story decisions. He just worked on the comics because that's his job.
Well, he also wrote at least one LEGO Magazine promotional comic not based on the TV episodes himself. But his main story-related job currently seems to be writing for Ninjago. At the same time, Greg wasn't the only person involved on BIONICLE's story team, even in 2001, who went on to work on Hero Factory. Christian Faber, an artist at the advertising agency ADVANCE in Copenhagen, has done his part for the Hero Factory theme after working on BIONICLE since its beginning. Many of the set designers for Hero Factory also worked on BIONICLE, including Christoffer Raundahl, one of the leading set designers since 2001 and a member of BIONICLE's story team. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Well, he also wrote at least one LEGO Magazine promotional comic not based on the TV episodes himself. But his main story-related job currently seems to be writing for Ninjago. At the same time, Greg wasn't the only person involved on BIONICLE's story team, even in 2001, who went on to work on Hero Factory. Christian Faber, an artist at the advertising agency ADVANCE in Copenhagen, has done his part for the Hero Factory theme after working on BIONICLE since its beginning. Many of the set designers for Hero Factory also worked on BIONICLE, including Christoffer Raundahl, one of the leading set designers since 2001 and a member of BIONICLE's story team.
Yes, but that comic was pretty much non-canon. At that time they were still messing around with OoF so that's what happened. And yes, I know a lot of people working on HF worked on Bionicle too. I was addressing the op's claim to Greg being the sole authority on story.

AXKP5KC.png

Well, he also wrote at least one LEGO Magazine promotional comic not based on the TV episodes himself. But his main story-related job currently seems to be writing for Ninjago. At the same time, Greg wasn't the only person involved on BIONICLE's story team, even in 2001, who went on to work on Hero Factory. Christian Faber, an artist at the advertising agency ADVANCE in Copenhagen, has done his part for the Hero Factory theme after working on BIONICLE since its beginning. Many of the set designers for Hero Factory also worked on BIONICLE, including Christoffer Raundahl, one of the leading set designers since 2001 and a member of BIONICLE's story team.
Yes, but that comic was pretty much non-canon. At that time they were still messing around with OoF so that's what happened. And yes, I know a lot of people working on HF worked on Bionicle too. I was addressing the op's claim to Greg being the sole authority on story.
I wasn't talking about that comic at all, actually. I was talking about Jungle of Danger!.

Yeah, I noticed this, but BIONICLE had much better sets in 2001...

Matter of perspective. Personally, I think some of the hero sets are as good as the Toa Mata if not better. Hero Factory's larger sets in general don't tend to measure up to some of BIONICLE's best titan sets like Brutaka or Takanuva 2008, but Witch Doctor is every bit as intricate in design as many the 2001 Rahi, even if that intricacy is structural rather than function-based like many aspects of the Rahi's design.

Yeah, I noticed this, but BIONICLE had much better sets in 2001...

Matter of perspective. Personally, I think some of the hero sets are as good as the Toa Mata if not better. Hero Factory's larger sets in general don't tend to measure up to some of BIONICLE's best titan sets like Brutaka or Takanuva 2008, but Witch Doctor is every bit as intricate in design as many the 2001 Rahi, even if that intricacy is structural rather than function-based like many aspects of the Rahi's design.
The two main things that I found great about the Toa Mata, and still feel about them, is their bright color schemes, and their design that is fun to just build over and over again. Hero Factory has had these qualities for all of the years so far, and I expect it to stay that way. I feel that Hero Factory has gone farther in the bright color scheme characteristic than BIONICLE ever did, with Nex and Evo. Their color scheme is very bright, and uses colors that you don't usually see as a main color.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I never said he was the sole authority. I only thought that he was heavily involved in HF, so I was giving a disclaimer of sorts so that he wouldn't be offended by the possible conclusion that Lego repackaged Bionicle '01 for the monies. All these people who seem to have worked on both lines seem to convince me more and more that this was on purpose, and not a mere coincidence. Has anyone been able to ask a BZP member who either works for Lego or is involved with Savage Planet somehow?

The Krika Show Season 2 

This theory better be true or you're doomed! All doomed! Joke aside, I never really thought of the Quaza/Kanohi similiarities. It's good that they don't have the exactly the same properties and uses though. It's a nice theory, and while it might be a subconscious homage, there's still a lot of differences in the stories.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

Everyone realized that back in April, dude.

Really? Could you provide any evidence of someone posting a similar theory on this site, or in another site? If not, I'm the OP of BZPower. Also, judging by the reaction of people here, not EVERYONE realized it in April. You may have thought of it yourself, but a great deal of people still didn't think of it until the topic was posted. So your point kind of falls on its face, no offense.

It's a nice theory, and while it might be a subconscious homage, there's still a lot of differences in the stories.

Like I said, it's the general idea that's similar, not the dialogue or outcome. When you look at it, it's far too similar to be a coincidence.

Okay, I see that. Anyways, I am almost certain that Savage Planet is paying homage to BIONICLE for a simple reason; Summer 2011 is its 10th anniversary.

That's why I think the whole "it's a conscious homage" theory is valid. Edited by MakutaKlak

The Krika Show Season 2 

Cool, idea. I Think the little tribute is there but i thought the jungle did not work as good as a space theme or some thing more SI-FI. Because bionicle had the whole fantasy thing down, but hero factory needs to focas on doing the things bionicle could not. Thats my opinon.

I have no Signature,

Why?

I'm Avak3, I don't need one.

Cool, idea. I Think the little tribute is there but i thought the jungle did not work as good as a space theme or some thing more SI-FI. Because bionicle had the whole fantasy thing down, but hero factory needs to focas on doing the things bionicle could not. Thats my opinon.

Indeed. While Bionicle was able to make a smooth transition between both genres, HF decided to make it less gradual. Still, Savage Planet has plenty of sci-fi elements.

Hm... Interesting theory. That actually sounds quite plausible, and if so, I'm glad LEGO is paying tribute to their greatest success. Thanks for pointing that out! :) t1ssig.png

No problemo! Happy to make people think about these things!

The Krika Show Season 2 

And I'm not done. Both lines are made by the same people (essentially), and were created almost exactly ten years apart.Coincidence? I sincerely doubt it. Of course, there are several details that are different in either storyline. But when you strip it down, they both seem the same.

Well, what you've said prior to this quote is accurate, but let's keep in mind that if you strip down a story, where you stop is arbitrary, and if you strip down any story too much, pretty much all stories are identical, or at least fall into only a few categories. This is simply a standard point I make whenever I see people talking about boiling down a story, though; admittedly, it's not a major problem with your comparison because you pointed out several ways the two are similar which most other stories are not. We could add LOST, on most points, BTW, to much of this. :PI agree with you that it's #2, an intentional tribute. Idea #3 is nuked by the fact that we've had so many years of new ideas, along with nostalgic 2001ers begging for more that's similar to 2001. It's pretty obviously a nod in their direction. :) As well as the successful formula idea you mentioned. If we got, say, three years or so in a row of ideas that are so similar as this, then we could reasonably worry they'd run out of ideas.I also think a big part of it is a natural human desire for this sort of story, where the enemies are animalistic monsters surrounded by the wild jungle or nature in general.That part of it I think is the main unique point here, and that alone is true of thousands of other stories throughout human history. True, the "infection" similarity takes it beyond that basic theme, but yeah. Let's face it, and endless array of humanoid muahahahers alone, just one replacing the last one, gets old fast. :P I'd say HF even went closer to the animalistic than Bionicle in every line, with the villains consistently deviating from pure humanoid. (Unfortunately the Heroes are basically identical, but I've talked a lot in the past about why that is; buildfig target audiences see that as the image of a hero, and animalistic as villains, and when LEGO tried changing it in 2005 the heroes didn't sell as well.)Re: Everybody realizing that in April -- Probably most of us did, to be fair. :P But I haven't seen a topic actually addressing it in this depth (and quite intelligently might I add ^_^). Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The similarities are certainly present; but I do not think LEGO is trying to push a remake of BIONICLE '01. Because for all of the similarities, there are important differences.BIONICLE '01 was mystic; much was unexplained, and a lot of stuff was attributed to mysticism and magic. In contrast, Hero Factory is unabashedly science fiction; everything has a scientific explanation. This was visible in the music, among other places: BIONICLE's was tribal and moody, whereas Hero Factory's is very clearly electronic and synthesized.In addition to this, BIONICLE at this period of time, to say the least, didn't really have a developed sense of humor; everybody was pretty serious and uptight. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Heroes respond to almost every situation with a deprecating comment or wisecrack.So, while the Hero Factory storyline team may well be drawing on BIONICLE for a new story arc, they certainly aren't out to emulate or recreate it. Their take on it is certainly more original than borrowed.-Shyyrn

Edited by Shyyrn

"Let me realize that my past failures at follow-through are no indication of my future performance...

...They're just healthy little fires that are going to light up my resolve."

The similarities are certainly present; but I do not think LEGO is trying to push a remake of BIONICLE '01. Because for all of the similarities, there are important differences.BIONICLE '01 was mystic; much was unexplained, and a lot of stuff was attributed to mysticism and magic. In contrast, Hero Factory is unabashedly science fiction; everything has a scientific explanation. This was visible in the music, among other places: BIONICLE's was tribal and moody, whereas Hero Factory's is very clearly electronic and synthesized.In addition to this, BIONICLE at this period of time, to say the least, didn't really have a developed sense of humor; everybody was pretty serious and uptight. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Heroes respond to almost every situation with a deprecating comment or wisecrack.So, while the Hero Factory storyline team may well be drawing on BIONICLE for a new story arc, they certainly aren't out to emulate or recreate it. Their take on it is certainly more original than borrowed.-Shyyrn

I would disagree on some of those points-- BIONICLE had plenty of electronic-sounding music in 2001, as evidenced in many MNOG cutscenes and on the BIONICLE Power Pack, which was about as electronic as BIONICLE music ever got. Overall, the BIONICLE music tended to become far less electronic in later years.Additionally, 2001 BIONICLE had more than its fair share of humor. Again, this is evidenced in the MNOG and the the Game Boy Advance game "Quest for the Toa", two of the main sources of story information at that time. The comics were not all that humorous, but neither are the Hero Factory comics-- there are still occasional one-liners, but a lot of the silly banter is cut out. And good riddance, IMO-- the banter in Savage Planet was hard for me to put up with.I definitely agree, though, that Savage Planet isn't by any means an attempt at recreating what BIONICLE had in 2001. LEGO would have no real reason to do that, since the kids they are targeting are a different audience than the kids they were targeting back then. And a complete recreation of 2001's storyline wouldn't have fit in with the established universe of Hero Factory at all.But when you look back, TLG has very recently introduced the Power Miners theme that also revisited a concept from ten years prior. It's entirely possible that the writers may have decided on a whim that the 2001 BIONICLE storyline's motifs were worth revisiting, if only to see how they might be explored differently as a part of a more lighthearted sci-fi property.

I thought it was like the summer 2008 saga.

Really? How so?

I would disagree on some of those points-- BIONICLE had plenty of electronic-sounding music in 2001, as evidenced in many MNOG cutscenes and on the BIONICLE Power Pack, which was about as electronic as BIONICLE music ever got. Overall, the BIONICLE music tended to become far less electronic in later years.Additionally, 2001 BIONICLE had more than its fair share of humor. Again, this is evidenced in the MNOG and the the Game Boy Advance game "Quest for the Toa", two of the main sources of story information at that time. The comics were not all that humorous, but neither are the Hero Factory comics-- there are still occasional one-liners, but a lot of the silly banter is cut out. And good riddance, IMO-- the banter in Savage Planet was hard for me to put up with.I definitely agree, though, that Savage Planet isn't by any means an attempt at recreating what BIONICLE had in 2001. LEGO would have no real reason to do that, since the kids they are targeting are a different audience than the kids they were targeting back then. And a complete recreation of 2001's storyline wouldn't have fit in with the established universe of Hero Factory at all.But when you look back, TLG has very recently introduced the Power Miners theme that also revisited a concept from ten years prior. It's entirely possible that the writers may have decided on a whim that the 2001 BIONICLE storyline's motifs were worth revisiting, if only to see how they might be explored differently as a part of a more lighthearted sci-fi property.
It's not as much as a recreation as it is an adaptation with several twists. There are several continuity nods made, probably to attract more Bionicle fans. A tribute doesn't necessarily mean a remake. Unless you're arguing against the ripoff idea.

And I'm not done. Both lines are made by the same people (essentially), and were created almost exactly ten years apart.Coincidence? I sincerely doubt it. Of course, there are several details that are different in either storyline. But when you strip it down, they both seem the same.

Well, what you've said prior to this quote is accurate, but let's keep in mind that if you strip down a story, where you stop is arbitrary, and if you strip down any story too much, pretty much all stories are identical, or at least fall into only a few categories. This is simply a standard point I make whenever I see people talking about boiling down a story, though; admittedly, it's not a major problem with your comparison because you pointed out several ways the two are similar which most other stories are not. We could add LOST, on most points, BTW, to much of this. :PI agree with you that it's #2, an intentional tribute. Idea #3 is nuked by the fact that we've had so many years of new ideas, along with nostalgic 2001ers begging for more that's similar to 2001. It's pretty obviously a nod in their direction. :) As well as the successful formula idea you mentioned. If we got, say, three years or so in a row of ideas that are so similar as this, then we could reasonably worry they'd run out of ideas.I also think a big part of it is a natural human desire for this sort of story, where the enemies are animalistic monsters surrounded by the wild jungle or nature in general.That part of it I think is the main unique point here, and that alone is true of thousands of other stories throughout human history. True, the "infection" similarity takes it beyond that basic theme, but yeah. Let's face it, and endless array of humanoid muahahahers alone, just one replacing the last one, gets old fast. :P I'd say HF even went closer to the animalistic than Bionicle in every line, with the villains consistently deviating from pure humanoid. (Unfortunately the Heroes are basically identical, but I've talked a lot in the past about why that is; buildfig target audiences see that as the image of a hero, and animalistic as villains, and when LEGO tried changing it in 2005 the heroes didn't sell as well.)Re: Everybody realizing that in April -- Probably most of us did, to be fair. :P But I haven't seen a topic actually addressing it in this depth (and quite intelligently might I add ^_^).
Why thank you, bonesii. I agree, if you strip anything down too much, it looks the same as everything else. But the evidence lines up in this aspect, IMO. I had no idea people realized it in April. I thought it was a stroke of fridge brilliance. :P

What you said about "Six heroes that need a lesson about teamwork" doesn't fit with Savage Planet, on Savage Planet it's just Furno and Rocka who have a rivalry.Otherwise it's pretty much BIONICLE '01.

Ah, my mistake. I had no idea. Edited by MakutaKlak

The Krika Show Season 2 

• 2 weeks later...