I was pretty skeptical of the series before its release based on the trailers. I loved the theme, the concept, the music, the action scenes, pretty much everything except the snippets of voice acting we heard. So I was a bit wary going in.

I was pleasantly surprised. Combat scenes are excellent as was expected, voice acting was actually pretty fantastic asides from a couple of minor characters. Looking forward to the next episode.

(also dat outro)

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

My biggest worry going in was just failing to live up to the high standard set by the Trailers and RvB. I wasn't too worried about Voice Acting mainly cause Voice Acting in RvB has grown a lot and is now pretty fantastic. All of the trailers were rushed pieces of work by Monty so I'm sure voice acting in them was thrown in last minute. Also that's the Intro, and it is pretty fantastic.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

RWBY, pronounced Ruby, which stands for: Red, White, Black and Yellow or Ruby, Wiess, Blake, and Yang is a series created by Monty Oum and produced by Rooster Teeth. If you've seen the later seasons of RvB the fighting scenes are all Monty's work, he is also the guy behind Dead Fantasy and Haloid.

As of yet we don't know too much about RWBY, but we do know the following. In the world of RWBY there exists this material named Dust which allows for the use of fantastic weapons as well as magic(I think). These weapons and magic and what not were originally created to help Humanity fight against dark monsters and the people who did so were Huntsman and Huntresses.

The plot of RWBY seems set in a futuristic time and while monsters do exist they're not dominating over the human race nearly as bad. The main character of RWBY is a character named Ruby Rose who gets accepted into a school called Beacon Academy two years early. This academy is a school for training Huntsman and Huntresses. There she's supposed to form a team with her sister Yang(Yellow), Wiess(White), and Blake(Black). Of course the purpose of this team and what not is still unknown to us.

Long story short, RWBY is shaping up to be a really good Anime(Monty insists on letting people know that he considers this an Anime) short series. Episodes are being uploaded to the RoosterTeeth site every Friday and will generally be around 5 minutes long with the important episodes around 11 minutes.

Did I mention the music is fantastic?

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

I can't say I think much of how the first episode was structured at all, but I suppose it being only 11 minutes makes it pretty restricted in that regard. I can't imagine how future episodes will hold up, seeing as how they'll be half as long. And a lot of the dialogue felt iffy.... But then again, first episodes for everything tend to be pretty awkward. It'll get better.

The action scene was still pretty awesome, and that's probably not going to change. IF nothing else, it's got that going for it.

Edited by ///dotcom///

AXKP5KC.png

Great atmospherics and music, and the animation isn't too bad either, especially in the battle scenes. I can't tell if the poor lip syncing is deliberately an homage to anime dubbing or if it's just a technical limitation, but it's mildly noticeable.Plot seems fun, which is not what I was expecting out of this, so it certainly has that going for it. Script and voicing was hit and miss; had some good funny moments, but the comedic timing wasn't entirely down pat, so I'm hoping they get a good rhythm going in future episodes.All in all, a good first episode, and though I'm no fan of RoosterTeeth, I'll definitely tune back in for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, after watching the rest of the episodes, I actually enjoyed it a lot more than the first episode and think it is a very decent show with a promising story and the world its set in seems really interesting. I went back and watched the first episode again and still thought it wasnt all that great but it does pick up.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Long story short, RWBY is shaping up to be a really good Anime(Monty insists on letting people know that he considers this an Anime) short series.

How it can be an anime when it wasn't made in Japan puzzles me.

Anyway, I've actually quite enjoyed what I've seen so far. I liked Ruby's obsession with weapons, it was a sort of unexpected characteristic, but it makes sense, given she made that Scythe/Sniper Rifle thing.

Also anyone remember the odd couple in the second-to-last episode? When I first saw them I thought it was Shun and Pepper Potts. :P

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Long story short, RWBY is shaping up to be a really good Anime(Monty insists on letting people know that he considers this an Anime) short series.

How it can be an anime when it wasn't made in Japan puzzles me.

Anyway, I've actually quite enjoyed what I've seen so far. I liked Ruby's obsession with weapons, it was a sort of unexpected characteristic, but it makes sense, given she made that Scythe/Sniper Rifle thing.

Also anyone remember the odd couple in the second-to-last episode? When I first saw them I thought it was Shun and Pepper Potts. :P

I can imagine them being on a team with Juane and that read haired chick, seeing as RWBT will likely be a team of 4. But yeah they are funny.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

It's alright. I don't really like all the humor or the designs in general (what is Blake even wearing) but the action is great, and again, it has the potential to evolve into something good. At the moment it hasn't really presented any stories or characters that haven't been seen countless of times before, so it's hanging in opinion limbo for me. I was also expecting more out of their fairy tale origins/inspirations, the whole magic training school thing has been done to death. The series is a poor follow-up to what I expected from the trailers, especially the first.

But it really is too early to draw concrete conclusions.

AXKP5KC.png

I'm actually really impressed with the humor, cracks me up.In terms of the plot, it's hilariously predictable, but I wasn't looking for anything transcendent (or expecting it, since RvB bores me to tears). I'm treating this like any other anime; fun story, good jokes, and interesting animation. And so far, it has delivered that pretty consistently.

• 2 months later...

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that they made a character based on the Monkey King, even if they didn't change his name at all. The fact that they nailed his personality is even better.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that they made a character based on the Monkey King, even if they didn't change his name at all. The fact that they nailed his personality is even better.

Michael is basically the best casting for this role.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I've seen a few episodes.

The characters are pretty cool. I dig Yang. However, I think the trailers were probably better or as good as the episodes that I've seen.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Wait... episode 16 was the finale?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

So that was a finale...

Yeah, it was long and awesome, but it didn't really have a feeling of closure...

So that was a finale...

Yeah, it was long and awesome, but it didn't really have a feeling of closure...

I 100% agree. I think it was the lack of episodes before that that centered on the main team. As much as I love Juane, if RBWY are meant to be the main characters, they should have at least gotten two episodes devoted to each character, but Blake has one and Yang has none. I think its ridiculously late to start expanding of what are meant to be the main protagonists.

Besides from that, the ending after the credits just blew my theory of Pyra being that flame/fire woman and she was manipulating Jaune to become her apprentice because she knew he had potential. Then there would be a big story arch of Juane picking sides. In fact a few episodes back when Juane was talking to Pyra about him wanting to be a hero and about him not actually being Beacon worthy where Cardin was listening, I half expected Juane to kill Cardin at the end of that episode to keep his secret, thus building up Juane to be the main villain which would be an unexpedted but in my opinion plausible given his back story of inadequacy and having that anger and self doubt burning inside him. Then Pyra would play on that(remembering that Pyra is evil and manipulating Jaune in this theory). Then we could have a good love triangle between Juane, Ruby and Pyra as Juane conflicts about which side he belongs to and it would all be exciting.

So yeah, that wont happen now, but I thought it would have been cool.

Also I totally love Roman Torchwich. There is just something about him that makes him an interesting and charismatic character.

Edited by Ordo

It doesn't feel like they've even fully decided what type of show they want RWBY to be yet, or if they've even decided definitively on who should be the main characters - those are my biggest issues with RWBY and for me do well as a broad explanation regarding everything I dislike about the show.

I can see the potential - and I mean, I really want to like RWBY, but at best it's just okay. Some of the characters redeem it (Nora, Torchwick, Weiss sometimes), but otherwise RWBY just isn't really working yet.

Also, if they are going to continue shoving this much stuff down our throats at the same rate, we do need longer episodes. After Episode 8 there wasn't enough development anywhere as the episodes started jumping forward in time sporadically, and it shows.

• 2 weeks later...

So overall, I liked episode 8, the staff-nunchuck-gun things and Penny's whatever that was in episode 16. The action is great, whenever there really is any action. The writing was sub-par, and the plotting and pacing much too uneven. Character development was spotty at best. This entire thing was mediocre, with a couple of redeeming qualities. Here's to hoping the second season will be better, because this...this doesn't really set the bar too high.

AXKP5KC.png