BZPower Archive Update

Earlier this year we began to have some problems with our Archives, the instance of the old forums with all the posts from before the recent major upgrade. This was in part due to a malicious individual who deleted parts of the database as well as several backups that were stored on our server. The Administration has done our best to try to restore things, but there's still a lot of missing content that I'm afraid no longer exists. In addition, the software that keeps the archives running has become outdated and insecure, and may be part of how portions of the site were hacked recently. With all this in mind, we have made the decision to close down the Archives and move forward, focusing on our new forums and the future of BZPower. It was not an easy decision, but in the end, there was not much we could do. On behalf of the Administration, I'm truly sorry that we have to do this, but I'm hoping everyone can understand the reasons behind our decision.View the full article

I think that the worst part about this is that we no longer get to see how the old people reacted to massive secrets being revealed, such as there being a 7th Toa.

Ah well, it's not a major loss to me personally. Just means my old n00b posts won't ever get uncovered. You fools will never get to see how many emoticons I spammed! :P :D :afro: :alert: :bah-sign: :P :onfire: :smeag: :flagusa: :P

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

NOOOO WHYYYYYYY. (Am I allowed to say that?) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHYYYYYUUUUY. :(I suppose I know why. And I will do my level best to recover what little I can and move on. (I think I have the HTML for the Greg archives somewhere, so I suppose it could be restored on a server if someone's interested.)Question: Can those of us who have library stuff in the archives that's going to be deleted repost on the new forum? (I suppose you won't know in two months, anyway, but I thought I'd ask because I have backups for a couple works that I would like to try to save.)

Edited by fishers64

Thank you for trying to bring them back, Andrew. :) They contain good memories, but keeping this board safe for new and future memories to be made sounds like the best idea.

Question: Can those of us who have library stuff in the archives that's going to be deleted repost on the new forum? (I suppose you won't know in two months, anyway, but I thought I'd ask because I have backups for a couple works that I would like to try to save.)

I was planning to make a decision about this once the fate of the archives was decided; I'll be posting that in the Library soon.

Oh well, I joined last year :P

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Question: Can those of us who have library stuff in the archives that's going to be deleted repost on the new forum? (I suppose you won't know in two months, anyway, but I thought I'd ask because I have backups for a couple works that I would like to try to save.)

I'm not taking the archives offline immediately, so you're free to grab anything that is still working. And Hahli Husky has already addressed the reposting part.

I think that the worst part about this is that we no longer get to see how the old people reacted to massive secrets being revealed, such as there being a 7th Toa.

Trust me you don't want to see any of that.

I remember.

I remember "GALI IS THE ToL!"

I remember "JALA IS THE ToL!"

I remember "MAKUTA IS THE ToL!"

I remember.

It wasn't pretty. :(

Anyway kudos to the admins for trying, but hey let's look on the bright side, 90% of the content is embarrassing stuff none of us really wants to remember anyway. ;)

bring back "an cool dude"

I appreciate the effort anyway, guys. I'm sure we'll live.

Anyway kudos to the admins for trying, but hey let's look on the bright side, 90% of the content is embarrassing stuff none of us really wants to remember anyway. ;)

This x 1000.

It's like I was never a noob! (Because I wasn't. Prove me otherwise!).

Edited by Emzee

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

I'm not taking the archives offline immediately, so you're free to grab anything that is still working. And Hahli Husky has already addressed the reposting part.

Thanks for the effort and for leaving it up for a bit. Sorry that I've been so snappy. It's just nice to have Greg quotes for S&T forum discussion. :shrugs:

Sad to see it go, but I've already got all my fanfics backed up, anyway, so I'm going to be okay.

-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Trust me you don't want to see any of that.

I remember.

I remember "GALI IS THE ToL!"

I remember "JALA IS THE ToL!"

I remember "MAKUTA IS THE ToL!"

I remember.

It wasn't pretty. :(

But all the hype that I never got to see because I was becoming a fan around the time Takua put on that glowy mask!

But from what little I've seen of the older articles, you're probably are right :P

This is depressing. I'm saddened that there are such cruel people in the world to delete the childhoods of thousands upon thousands of fans. All we have now are memories.

:,c

Now I must leave to another communication method so I can express my views on this malicious individual with adjectives not allowed on this site.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I suppose I know why. And I will do my level best to recover what little I can and move on. (I think I have the HTML for the Greg archives somewhere, so I suppose it could be restored on a server if someone's interested.)

The answer would be Yes. With a capital Y.

This is sad. It was fun to look back and think "Ahhh those were the times." (I guess not me, because I've only been here for around 5 months.) And to think most of that was back when Bionicle was still going...makes me really sad. It seems like pretty soon we won't have any records on when Bionicle was still alive.

Edited by Mairanui

2xu8Ptu.png

I suppose I know why. And I will do my level best to recover what little I can and move on. (I think I have the HTML for the Greg archives somewhere, so I suppose it could be restored on a server if someone's interested.)

Yes, I would be. With a capital Y.

This is sad. It was fun to look back and think "Ahhh those were the times." (I guess not me, because I've only been here for around 5 months.) And to think most of that was back when Bionicle was still going...makes me really sad. It seems like pretty soon we won't have any records on when Bionicle was still alive.

My Greg Archives are available for download here.

Alas, sadly, I do not have HTML specifically. At least not for the full thing. :( When I ran the HTML off for the Greg archives I have now, I used the find and replace command to render all the posts readable as a temporary solution to the archives being out. But the file size for those Greg Dialogues was so big I didn't copy it. *shudder* *bangs head on desk*

I know what I did to get what I have (and I have copies of pieces of the actual HTML, etc.), so I could probably reverse the process. But that takes time. Even if I did manage to restore it, it would be the lo-fi version since that's what I ripped. (I do have all the answers though.) I'm open to solutions of any kind, as I know that few people want to download those huge files.

Also, some of the Greg posts were restored by B6, and I have some saved in various places. I'll probably post that in that topic I just linked. It's messy, but thanks to a stroke of luck I don't think the S&T forum lost toooo much.

And ironically, I can now finish my project lol.

Hm, looks like none of my posts on the archive are intact. I'm saving a copy of my profile page, though. Just as a little memento to remember my noob days by. (Actually I have a lot of noobish posts on the new forums too just don't go looking for them kthxbai).

Really what saddens me most is the loss of ten years of BZPRPG history.

Q2TtLEz.png

Not going to really lie, but this is pretty sad indeed. Considering a lot of those topics from those times were where I was in those old days, it's not going to be easy to fully let it all go.

While I'm not "happy" with the decision, I accept it. Considering there have been those malicious attacks, you all did what you had to do. And as such, I think I myself need to move on as well. I'm not the person I was when I first joined, or during the time of 2008-2011 (in fact I think I'd rather forget a lot of things from that time period of when I was on BZPower). I've changed, and I need to keep moving forward.

The old BZPower may not be out here physically, but it is still here within us all, as well as the older members who can recall and relay some of the stories they have about being on the forums. I still remember when people theorized that the island of Mata Nui looked like a face. Hold onto the memories and never forget them.

Edited by ShadowBionics

This is depressing. I'm saddened that there are such cruel people in the world to delete the childhoods of thousands upon thousands of fans. All we have now are memories.

:,c

Now I must leave to another communication method so I can express my views on this malicious individual with adjectives not allowed on this site.

Unfortunately, it's something that just has to be done. :(

Bliss.png

That is rather unfortunate. I have more updated backups of the chapters I posted and my mocs are all on Flickr. So not too bad.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Figures the archives were unsalvageable! I ought to throttle that hacker! > :(

I wish I could! It takes someone with some serious problems to do something like that. >:( I mean, for what reason would you want to trash a priceless archive of memories?! :???:

Edited by Trydeltix
Bliss.png

That's really disappointing to hear. 13 years of discussion and history, gone. There were some real gems in there, too. What a shame. The BionicleZone Community never existed, its successors never existed, and all the news posts from before the BZP merger are a jumbled mess. What great stewards of our history we are.

Edited by Zestanor

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

I wish I could! It takes someone with some serious problems to do something like that. > :( I mean, for what reason would you want to trash a priceless archive of memories?! :???:

Have you seen the amount of banned members? That's not a good reason, but still.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I wish I could! It takes someone with some serious problems to do something like that. > :( I mean, for what reason would you want to trash a priceless archive of memories?! :???:

Have you seen the amount of banned members? That's not a good reason, but still.

Yes, but what's your point?

Bliss.png

So I'm going through the old news posts, and clicking on the 'talkback' option -- All of the talkback threads up through November 2003 are intact. That's where the history is, in my opinion. I would highly recommend that someone archive these pages.

Actually, from what I can tell, every single post up through the end of November 2003 is intact! Someone should weed through all of the good stuff, please!

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

So I'm going through the old news posts, and clicking on the 'talkback' option -- All of the talkback threads up through November 2003 are intact. That's where the history is, in my opinion. I would highly recommend that someone archive these pages.

Actually, from what I can tell, every single post up through the end of November 2003 is intact! Someone should weed through all of the good stuff, please!

If I have the time, I might do it. I would really hate for all that to be lost forever.

Bliss.png

Hm, looks like none of my posts on the archive are intact. I'm saving a copy of my profile page, though. Just as a little memento to remember my noob days by. (Actually I have a lot of noobish posts on the new forums too just don't go looking for them kthxbai).

Really what saddens me most is the loss of ten years of BZPRPG history.

Che, my noob days are all gone.

No way to access my old BZPRPG profiles anymore.

But ...

Gimme a moment so I can archive all the original RPG topics so I can marvel at noob-versions of some veteran guys.

Oh dear, my first noobish posts will be finally destroyed. :P

More seriously, even though it's quite saddening it doesn't strike me so much. My old posts are part of my history here, okay, but they're kind of worthless. I understand, however, the worries of people who've been on BZP for a longer time than me and have important things stored there.

Unfortunate, but if nothing else can be done, I suppose this has to be done.

And they say that anything we ever post on the Internet will be there forever. THEY LIE! :PI can totally understand the reasoning behind this, and it makes sense, but it is sad to know that a good 8 years worth of my stuff from bzp is gone. (And gosh BZP was like 70% of my life back then.) I'm mostly bummed about the stories that I no longer have access to that I can't recover. Oh well. :music: