Are Rahi Too Dangerous?

So I was thinking about Rahi and the Matoran Universe, and how they're a part of the MU's artificial ecosystem. And then I thought about how Matoran are really important for Mata Nui's health, and so the GBs/Mata Nui would surely want them to be working smoothly and without much bother.

Of course, if they die, or are damaged, there are systems to solve that (Red Star, Karzahni), but ideally they shouldn't really be needed much.

So I was just wondering, why did the Makuta make such nasty Rahi that would more than occasionally attack Matoran/sentient species?

I'm not talking about Teridax on the island of Mata Nui, since the Makuta were already "evil" by that point, and Rahi like Visorak which were basically mass production weapons for the Brotherhood. I mean when the Makuta were new, not considered evil, given the job of making animals that would help (my theory now) maintain some kind of "Protodermis Cycle" (sort of comparable to the carbon/nitrogen cycles on Earth). Did they then also think "Hey, let's make these Rahi prone to attacking the workers who do the important stuff that needs higher sentient intelligence to do in our synthetic ecosystem, because that will surely help too".

Were Rahi always meant to be aggressive to Sent. Species? Sure it was never a huge problem, there wasn't really ever a significant loss of life (I wonder if the Kanohi Dragon/Tahtorak/First Rahi may have been exceptions) but surely dangerous Rahi could only have been bad for sent. species?

So yeah, why did the pre-evil Makuta make Rahi that would kill Matoran?

If you read the Mutran chronicles, you discover that both Mutran and Chirox are making very disgusting and usless creatures. The Makuta have never been well.....Nice. Ecspecially Teridax who released wild archive Rahi on Matoran villagers during the Matoran War. So to put it simply, Makuta have never been good. They might not have openly rebeled against Mata Nui then but they were still harsh and cruel and would have no problem with designing a creature that could cause harm.

Also it is possible that many of these Rahi have adapted to their surroundings (not sure of the reproductive cycle of Rahi though) and thus became more dangerous.

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

If you read the Mutran chronicles, you discover that both Mutran and Chirox are making very disgusting and usless creatures. The Makuta have never been well.....Nice. Ecspecially Teridax who released wild archive Rahi on Matoran villagers during the Matoran War. So to put it simply, Makuta have never been good. They might not have openly rebeled against Mata Nui then but they were still harsh and cruel and would have no problem with designing a creature that could cause harm.

Also it is possible that many of these Rahi have adapted to their surroundings (not sure of the reproductive cycle of Rahi though) and thus became more dangerous.

So Mata Nui did a pretty poor job when the made the Makuta...Well, at least he realised his mistake after the Great Cataclysm...><

This is actually one of the most common questions I've seen repeatedly in recent years.

Rahi were created for multiple purposes, but one of the major ones was to keep Matoran away from areas they weren't supposed to go. This included making dangerous Rahi. They were not meant to be all cute fluffy puppies from the start. :) This was part of disguising the world as not being part of a giant robot.

The Makuta did make some good Rahi like Ussal and Gukko in the early days for the Matoran, but the Matoran did not appreciate it as much as they should have, and the Makuta let this hurt their feelings and then want to get even (in essence). Neither of these things, ironically, is due to a failure of the Great Beings or Mata Nui, but rather to unexpectedly more success than they imagined -- that is, to accidently making them fully sapient with freewill. So their flaws became their own choices. This is "more success" because it also enabled some to become true heroes, not just more powerful repair machines (namely the Toa, among others). Freewill, leading to evil, certainly did almost make everything fail, but good overcame it (barely :P).

After that point, the Makuta made some dangerous Rahi because the League forced them to, for the Barraki's armies. This one cannot be blamed on the Makuta per se, and we don't know which ones these were.

After that, the Makuta weren't following the rules but it was of course intentional. Re: Mutran using the chaos of the Matoran Civil War as a distraction and excuse to release dangerous new Rahi in Metru Nui just to test them out. And certainly many of the others could have been made for specific goals.

Keep in mind especially that we see the Rahi as a full set near the end of history. We don't in most cases know which ones go back how far. The early universe presumably fit the pattern the GBs intended almost exactly; the problems came in later.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)