Thoughts on Lego Mixels

Madu Cabolo

Recently lego announced a new theme called "Lego Mixels." It is going to have it's own Cartoon Network show as well as some sets.

What exactly it is, we don't precisely know apart from what has been posted on the lego wiki (which we still don't precisely know.. it's a wiki, what can you expect.) It will feature "the colorful Mixels creatures that can mix and combine with one another in creative and unpredictable storylines. A collectible portfolio of low-priced mini building sets will launch in three waves in 2014 and an app-powered gaming experience will engage fans in a deep mobile game that will cover the sprawling world of Mixels."

It is one of those things that may have promise, but could also be incredibly anticlimactic. The fact that lego is working with cartoon network is certainly not promising imho (I personally find the Chima and Ninjago TV series to be some of the worst media decisions by Lego). However this about an "app-powered gaming experience will engage fans in a deep mobile game that will cover the sprawling world of Mixels" could be really cool, maybe even like Bionicle. Remember, Bionicle started out small. It might also be like the old creator x-pods which were pretty cool.

But it's all in the balance. Though this theme is geared for a younger audience, I hope there will be a deeper storyline that could appeal to us older fans.

~Madu-

<}> <}>

~

RPG Profiles:

Cresk

I remember watching some videos on lego.com, they said something about a bunch of short films geared toward a

younger age group. From what I've seen of the sets (not much) it looks like Lego is making no attempt to make this a stroy line that older fans will enjoy, although some of the new bricks might entice some purchases.

buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=43&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=42&txt=Press%
buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=46&txt=Press%buttons.php?frm=1&btn_type=47&txt=Press%

BZPRPG Characters

Want to play all the Lego games? Click Here

What is nobody excited for EYEBALL BALLJOINTS? Woo!

But yeah mini ball joints are gonna be p sweet. And I don't think that the story is going to be even mildly tolerable to people with a brain. I echo the sentiment that it's likely targeted to kindergartners and the like.

I am a little skeptical based on Legos recent trend to dumb down storyline to make them "accessible" to younger audiences.

Well it's working. Have you seen ninjago kiddies at conventions? I just hope that's not what Bionicle fans looked like .-.

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

Two words:

Lego Skylanders.

:I

I don't think Lego's making electronic baseplates... besides, you're supposed to be able to rebuild them into other thing supposedly, and that wouldn't work with a video game.

Yeah, it was just a joke. I have enough sense to realize Lego wouldn't do that. :P

fmstaticbanner1.jpg

Two words: Lego Skylanders.

:I I don't think Lego's making electronic baseplates... besides, you're supposed to be able to rebuild them into other thing supposedly, and that wouldn't work with a video game.
Plus Mega Bloks already took the project. Sadly the baseplates only light up, but I've considered buying them just because of how detailed and awesome the figures are.Back on topic, the sets look decent. Interesting use of the bush piece an the yellow guy. Since the story line can't possibly be engaging enough and I despise most Cartoon Network shows, I'll only get the sets for those pieces, especially for the tiny ball joints. I really hope they are compatible with the existing rubber band holders.

I don't have any idea what Mixels' media profile will be like. Honestly, I don't care too much on a personal level. The sets are brilliantly creative and adorable little builds on their own, so I will probably buy them no matter what their story looks like.The partnership with Cartoon Network is interesting. On one hand, Ninjago's TV series turned out amazing, making that series immensely popular and successful. But on the other hand, the cartoon versions of the Mixels characters that were displayed at Comic-Con looked... less than impressive.Chances are their story will not be too complex or deep, but frankly I think a lot of people care too much about that kind of thing. Storytelling is hardly the heart and soul of toy design. If the Mixels turned out to be like the X-Pods, just little packets of building elements and inspirational material, then I'd be perfectly happy with them that way. But if they have a fun gaming component and maybe some interstitial shorts between other Cartoon Network programming, good for them! They are cute and silly and don't need pretentions of complexity to be fun and compelling.Frankly, I think one of the things that hurts the Chima TV series in terms of entertainment value is its pretentiousness. It's trying to present a sense of myth and mystery like BIONICLE and Ninjago had, but I think the best Chima stories I've read are Greg Farshtey's simpler stories in the Chima chapter books, which are short and silly and have an Aesop-like quality to them. If the whole show were written like that, then I'd be tuning in to watch every single week.