New Matoran Traits: Fa, Ba, Su, Bo-Matoran

Recently, Greg Farshtey confirmed that the traits of Fa, Ba, Su, and Bo-Matoran are as follows:Fa-Matoran: Improved sense of direction/internal compassBa-Matoran: Pressure resistanceSu-Matoran: Eye protection against bright lightBo-Matoran: Innate understanding of plant attributes, such as poisonSome of you might recognize these as the winners of a series of polls held by bonesiii a while back; this is indeed their origin.(Sources: Fa-Matoran, Ba, Su, and Bo-Matoran)Edit: I've got some more answers!

Hi! Some people on BZPower have had questions about the new Matoran traits, so I thought I'd share them with you. 1. It's been said that Su-Matoran probably prefer hot climates like Ta-Matoran do. Does this mean they have limited heat resistance (but not to the same extent as Ta-Matoran) as well as eye protection, or do they just prefer warmth more than other Matoran do? 2. Also, do Ta and Ko-Matoran have temperature resistance in the sense that they feel just as hot/cold as other Matoran but can handle extreme temperatures better, or do they actually sense temperature differently? So, for example, Ta-Matoran might always feel 15 degrees Fahrenheit colder than other Matoran, in which case when it feels like 90 degrees to other Matoran, it would only feel like 75 degrees to Ta-Matoran. 2. Do you think overload from the Fa-Matoran's internal compass would result in mental pain/irritation of some kind? If so, do you think they would try to avoid industrial or stormy regions? Thank you!

1) The latter2) No, that's not how I see it. I see it more like the way a desert dweller is better adjusted to the heat than someone in a temperate climate. They are feeling the same heat, it simply does not bother them because they are used to it.3) I would say no, simply because we have not saddled other Matoran tribes with built-in flaws to their abiltiies, so why start now?

(Source) Edited by Infrared

So if Fa-Matoran have internal compasses wouldn't this mean if they lived near a source of magnetism their sense of direction would be messed up? I wonder what kind of environment they would prefer now that they have this internal compass ability.

Wait a minute, according to BS01 Su-Matoran prefer hot regions, so does this mean they have both heat resistance (like Ta-Matoran) along with the eye-shields?

Edited by Anti Nui

That could be a possibility.

The Matoran themselves can manifest this power to the extent that they have a resistance to heat and sunlight.

From BS01.

The wording of the trait he approved was "eye protection against blinding light (as Plasma could emit)," but I think it's fairly safe to assume they have limited heat resistance as well. Another possibility is that Ta and Ko-Matoran's heat/cold resistance is caused by their sense of temperature being shifted slightly, so that what would be considered "normal" temperature by, say, a Le-Matoran would be considered cold or hot by Ta or Ko-Matoran, respectively (so Ta-Metru to a Ta-Matoran feels the same as Le-Metru to a Le-Matoran). In that case, it might be that Su-Matoran don't have resistance to heat, they just prefer feeling warm whereas Ta-Matoran prefer feeling normal temperature. I can ask Greg about it if you want.

So if Fa-Matoran have internal compasses wouldn't this mean if they lived near a source of magnetism their sense of direction would be messed up? I wonder what kind of environment they would prefer now that they have this internal compass ability.

It is sort of a double-edged sword, the way it is with De-Matoran. Fa-Matoran have been confirmed not to have a preferred region, but I think most of them would steer clear of the Southern Continent since the electrical storms taking place in Karda Nui might interfere with their sense of direction. (Of course, the only named Toa of Magnetism is Jovan, and after his teammate used the Ignika he became the Turaga of Voya Nui. There are several possible explanations for this; one is that he disregarded the annoyance it caused because it felt was his duty to watch over the Matoran, another is that Karda Nui's shields stopped the electricity's effects. I think it's safe to say Fa-Matoran would not like living in Karda Nui. :P) Disregarding that and the fact that the whole robot was covered in what might have been magnetized metal, I would think Fa-Matoran and compasses in general would point roughly toward what we'd call north-northeast, between the highly developed islands of Xia and Metru Nui.

Edited by Infrared

I wondered if any of these matoran would get anything special...

Glad that Greg addressed that issue. And I was going to say something about the inherent compass, but someone beat me to it.

And no one has mentioned that Su-Matoran essentially have built-in sunglasses.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Greg's decision to solely release very occasional, random, tiny pieces of trivial information in lieu of concrete story updates is infuriating. Oh, well, better than nothing, I suppose.

EDIT: I take that back. Inconsequential story trivia is worse that nothing because it reminds me of the story back when it was still around and solidifies Greg's decision to quit writing it.

Edited by Toa Zaz
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Another possibility is that Ta and Ko-Matoran's heat/cold resistance is caused by their sense of temperature being shifted slightly, so that what would be considered "normal" temperature by, say, a Le-Matoran would be considered cold or hot by Ta or Ko-Matoran, respectively (so Ta-Metru to a Ta-Matoran feels the same as Le-Metru to a Le-Matoran). In that case, it might be that Su-Matoran don't have resistance to heat, they just prefer feeling warm whereas Ta-Matoran prefer feeling normal temperature. I can ask Greg about it if you want.

I'd be interested in an answer to this, though you might wanna try to phrase it more concisely for Greg. :P

To be clear, I would lean toward the latter. If they have any actual heat resistance I hope it's lesser than Ta, as impractical as that sounds, if only because that would make it weird that Ta would have really nothing unique. Either way, the sort of preferred habitat I would expect would be somewhere with normal air temperatures all around but plasma-involved machinery as part of the Great Spirit machinery, or general tech like running a welder. Versus living near lava. So, the higher temperatures would only be a problem if they got too close to large plasma sources; otherwise they would just prefer the warmth of being kinda near.

Agreed to ToA about The Powers That Be. It needn't be both serials per se (it's two that're unfinished, right? I should know this since I just prepared an appendix list for my retelling, soon to go up on my blog too, linking everything, but haven't actually had time to check the serials themselves again). You know the saying about "set achieveable goals". Doing two at once used to, apparently, be possible for Greg (I tried that kinda thing once but just got lost, so I only ever do one story at a time now). But maybe the problem of his free time isn't so much that he can't do what he used to (I'm speaking as I would if I was begging him to consider it, not that I think this is likely :P) but that he needs to forget (for now :P) about TYQ.

Aaanywho, as I said by PM before the topic, this is awesome news, and I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. Maybe I'm biased since I had a hand in it, but at the very least I'm glad answers were given and that they also got a nod of popularity.

For the record, when the winning magnetism option was proposed, someone (maybe me, I forget :P) pointed out that if it were canonized, we could have some interesting theories about the MU: 1) that Mata Nui would impose a single magnetic field similar to Earth's, very weak so it wouldn't cost much power, or even more efficiently, 2) that many of the machines involved in Mata Nui's functions that "surface" at the islands would put off various mag fields as a side effect of normal operation.

If the former, Fa-Matoran would all innately be excellent navigators. If the latter (I kinda lean toward this just 'cuz it's more interesting) they would need to travel to familiarize themselves with the arrangement of these fields in order to be navigators but could eventually become adept enough (prior to that they would be able to head toward civilization if lost, etc.). It also occurs to me that Mata Nui might actually need a main field (extending beyond the skin a ways) to aid protection against stellar radiation just like Earth.

So, those theories aren't mutually exclusive. Perhaps if you want to imagine the higher story potential you could headcanon that the main field is weak enough that it would only be useful as a last resort if you were in certain spots where the stronger side effect fields don't happen to overlap. I would say the second theory is at least almost certainly true; it's a question (IMO) of the strengths and whether the first also is. Another possible factor is that the main drive system of Mata Nui might produce a single powerful field as a side effect (if it involved an electromagnet for example).

If both theories are right, then this may also give us a good theory as to preferred location -- any place that is both on land and where the local fields don't overlap (at the "event horizon" of wherever it becomes weak enough they could sense the larger field), so they would never feel lost in that area. Those two things coinciding should be rare; those spots should be a ways out from most of the big islands, so probably only a few spots on the continents, and tiny, distant isles.

Edit:

Fa-Matoran have been confirmed not to have a preferred region, but I think most of them would steer clear of the Southern Continent since the electrical storms taking place in Karda Nui might interfere with their sense of direction. (Of course, the only named Toa of Magnetism is Jovan, and after his teammate used the Ignika he became the Turaga of Voya Nui. There are several possible explanations for this; one is that he disregarded the annoyance it caused because it felt was his duty to watch over the Matoran, another is that Karda Nui's shields stopped the electricity's effects.

Lol, I misread this opener as saying De-Matoran since you'd just mentioned them before. Okay, I forgot about that for Fa. Disregard the last paragraph before the edit (except for headcanon and fanfics if you like it :P).

I might as well mention while I'm at it that if significant magnetism does get through, at least it would enable him to easily find the village if he ever left it -- "Head toward the strongest part of the irritatingly blazing magfield." Could also have been part of how he found the right spot for the original mission to the area.

Of course, who says that level would be an annoyance? What was canonized was "internal compass." There may be nothing like a sense of pain or even discomfort associated with it, although it could make for a more interesting story that way (and our equivalent, the sense of balance, can at least make us disoriented).

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Okay guys, I've got some more answers!

Hi! Some people on BZPower have had questions about the new Matoran traits, so I thought I'd share them with you.1. It's been said that Su-Matoran probably prefer hot climates like Ta-Matoran do. Does this mean they have limited heat resistance (but not to the same extent as Ta-Matoran) as well as eye protection, or do they just prefer warmth more than other Matoran do?2. Also, do Ta and Ko-Matoran have temperature resistance in the sense that they feel just as hot/cold as other Matoran but can handle extreme temperatures better, or do they actually sense temperature differently? So, for example, Ta-Matoran might always feel 15 degrees Fahrenheit colder than other Matoran, in which case when it feels like 90 degrees to other Matoran, it would only feel like 75 degrees to Ta-Matoran.2. Do you think overload from the Fa-Matoran's internal compass would result in mental pain/irritation of some kind? If so, do you think they would try to avoid industrial or stormy regions?Thank you!

1) The latter2) No, that's not how I see it. I see it more like the way a desert dweller is better adjusted to the heat than someone in a temperate climate. They are feeling the same heat, it simply does not bother them because they are used to it.3) I would say no, simply because we have not saddled other Matoran tribes with built-in flaws to their abiltiies, so why start now?

(Source)
  • Upvote 1

"I would say no, simply because we have not saddled other Matoran tribes with built-in flaws to their abiltiies, so why start now?"

Um, what about De-Matoran? I'm pretty sure their extreme sensitivity to sound could be considered a built in flaw to their abilities.

Edited by Trydeltix
  • Upvote 1
Bliss.png

"I would say no, simply because we have not saddled other Matoran tribes with built-in flaws to their abiltiies, so why start now?"

Um, what about De-Matoran? I'm pretty sure their extreme sensitivity to sound could be considered a built in flaw to their abilities.

But that comes out of having especially good hearing already. Happens in real life -- my dog hates fireworks for example. (Same principle with Onu.)

Greg's reasoning makes sense because you'd have to basically add pain sensors or the equivalent.

Cool to have even more answers.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

But that comes out of having especially good hearing already. Happens in real life -- my dog hates fireworks for example. (Same principle with Onu.)

Greg's reasoning makes sense because you'd have to basically add pain sensors or the equivalent.

Cool to have even more answers.

Yes, but what Infrared asked was this: Do you think overload from the Fa-Matoran's internal compass would result in mental pain/irritation of some kind? If so, do you think they would try to avoid industrial or stormy regions?

Greg said no to this, but isn't that the same sort of thing as De-Matoran wanting to avoid Toa because they were too noisy? I guess it shouldn't be called a built in flaw to their abilities, but Greg is the one who said that in the first place.

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

You can't really overload a compass. :P

You could make it spin wildly and mess up their sense of direction with some effects but that's about all I'd expect.

• Upvote 1

Surely to 'overload' a Fa-Matoran's internal compass you'd need a magnetic force equivalent to the planet's own magnetic field? (Or Mata Nui's internal magnetic field, if he has one)

The worst they'd probably experience is dizziness in any case, more of an annoyance than a flaw or weakness.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you can "overload" acompass. Worst case scenario: The Matoran loses his accurate magnetic detection because it's messed up. That's it. He still can navigate by map et cetera. He may also feel mild discomfort at losing a special sense of himself, like you can't hear properly with noise or smell properly because your nose is blocked.

• Upvote 1