Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Really hoping Pokken gets a console port.

Can't really see that not happening, probably in a year or so. Acrades are pretty much QA testing grounds for fighters so they can get fine-tuned for console release.

Anyways, Pokken seems pretty cool. First time in ages I'm actually excited for a Pokemon game.

Yep.

I remember when arcades were actually pretty common. There's a place near me with a MvC machine and a few movie theaters with some games, but the closest actual arcade to me closed about 10 years ago.

I really wish arcades would make a comeback, but I seriously doubt that could happen.

I used to live near a Pizza Hut. The restaurant was dimly lit for some reason, but there were a couple of arcade machines they had in the back corner. I remember going there when I was 5 and was enthralled by the flashing lights and 13 year olds smashing wildly at the buttons. Unfortunately, last week when I visited the Pizza Hut after 11 years, the machines were gone. I wasn't surprised or anything, but still. Remembering about it was a massive nostalgic experience.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Yep.

I remember when arcades were actually pretty common. There's a place near me with a MvC machine and a few movie theaters with some games, but the closest actual arcade to me closed about 10 years ago.

I really wish arcades would make a comeback, but I seriously doubt that could happen.

I've still got an arcade near me, but it's pretty cruddy. Only good games are Gauntlet (which I have for Genesis as well), and Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr./Mario Bros., (which I've got for Virtual Console).

Anyways, Pokken seems pretty cool. First time in ages I'm actually excited for a Pokemon game.

First time I've ever cared about a Pokemon game.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

Anyone remember when Pizza Hut had those old arcade machines?

The closest thing to an arcade around here anymore, beyond Chuck-E-Cheese and all that, is a laundromat that has an old Neo Geo cabinet. Last I checked, anyway.

That's kinda interesting :P

My first video game experience was Mario 64 at an orthodontist's office.

I think my neighbors (I think they moved a while back) owned 2 or 3 arcades in their basement when they were giving me a tour of their house for some odd reason. There are also several arcades in two movie theaters I used to go to.

Edited by Regicidal Kaiser Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Shulk confirmed for Smash 4. No surprise (especially considering leaks, which some people don't know how not to spoil), what's more surprising is that it's also confirmed to be rated E10+. Well, there go my hopes of Bayonetta ever making it into the roster.

Anyways, Shulk looks like an interesting character, standard sword guy who can apparently shift between being a Speed/Defense/Power character. Hello new main.

Shulk confirmed for Smash 4. No surprise (especially considering leaks, which some people don't know how not to spoil), what's more surprising is that it's also confirmed to be rated E10+. Well, there go my hopes of Bayonetta ever making it into the roster.

Anyways, Shulk looks like an interesting character, standard sword guy who can apparently shift between being a Speed/Defense/Power character. Hello new main.

Tad surprised it's only E10+, but I'm going to blame the new art style more than anything else for that. Not my cup of tea at all.

But since Marth is useless in SSB4 (or, at least, in the demo), I'm going to be trying Shulk as a new main.

So Nintendo's releasing a 'New 3DS' that has an enhanced CPU and extra buttons, and thus exclusive software. But only as a remodel- not a successor.

Kinda mad about that, honestly. They're selling a system that more or less replaces the 3DS...alongside the 3DS.

hElbrZ6.gif

So Nintendo's releasing a 'New 3DS' that has an enhanced CPU and extra buttons, and thus exclusive software. But only as a remodel- not a successor.

Kinda mad about that, honestly. They're selling a system that more or less replaces the 3DS...alongside the 3DS.

They did the exact same thing with the DSi.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

They did the exact same thing with the DSi.

Except that the DSi didn't introduce new interface outside of the DSiware and camera, with a handful of titles that have enhanced features on the DSi- and a grand total of three DSi-exclusive carts. Which were third party.

This is a completely different situation than that- we already have confirmation that the New 3DS is vastly more powerful, by virtue of the fact it's running a Wii port, something that the original 3DS couldn't do. This would be like the DSi if it was just the second analog stick, if it was just the Amiibo scanning. But that new CPU? That isn't just a remodel.

hElbrZ6.gif

To quote from some Anon;

I bought the Zelda one refurbished that nintendo put up two days ago. They knew they had to sell them before the announcement or they'd be stuck with them.

You can't return refurbished hand held.

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

I'm down for a new 3DS, mine's nearly dead anyways and needs to be replaced, and I'm pretty sure it can hold out until early 2015. Glad there are two models, I like the normal 3DS better than the XL just because it fits nicely in my pockets.

Also, Xenoblade for new 3DS. Quite excited for this, it's a good game that too few people played over here to do the insanely small production run.

Ah, Volition, ya doing me proud once more.

I really wish I had IV, I only have The Third.

It's 20 bucks on Amazon. You should get the Season Pass DLC pack too- I did, anyway, and I got it a few months ago.

Sorry about that.

Edited by Elric of Melnibone

hElbrZ6.gif

I'm down for a new 3DS, mine's nearly dead anyways and needs to be replaced, and I'm pretty sure it can hold out until early 2015. Glad there are two models, I like the normal 3DS better than the XL just because it fits nicely in my pockets.

Also, Xenoblade for new 3DS. Quite excited for this, it's a good game that too few people played over here to do the insanely small production run.

What did you do to your 3DS? I have brought mine around in my pocket almost every day since day 1, and, outside of finger prints and a tiny crack from dropping it in the locker room, it looks pretty good. But totally agree that the smaller version is the better version. If these don't carry finger prints the way the original 3DS and Wii U do, then it'll be a day 1 purchase for me again, because I will do anything to get a nice 3DS with a matte finish instead of that stupid gloss BS.

I still haven't played my copy of Xenoblade :P

Dunno, but when it first started acting up, it shut off when I closed it instead of going to sleep. I think it might be from hitting my leg on something (there's a small dent/crack on the upper housing, and some other cracks in other places). Also, the cameras don't work, DS games/DSi Ware doesn't work (system crashes whenever I try to use those features), the X button is halfway dead, and it has those annoying scratches on the top screen because I never got a screen protector. I've rarely used my 3DS since I got my Vita, though, which is probably the only reason I've put up with all this.

Only thing that bugs me about the redesign is the C-Stick, really wonder how that's gonna work. Hope it's at least as good as the CPP, because if it isn't, I won't be playing Resident Evil or MGS on the New 3DS. It does make me wonder, though, since Smash 4 was featured on the New 3DS, if there's gonna be C-Sticking in the 3DS version.

Also, I just have to say something about the name: what the French toast?!? I can see calling it the New 3DS before an official name is released, but... That's the official name? I can't decide wether Nintendo is just getting lazy with naming things or this is part of their amazingly genius marketing plan.

Dunno, but when it first started acting up, it shut off when I closed it instead of going to sleep. I think it might be from hitting my leg on something (there's a small dent/crack on the upper housing, and some other cracks in other places). Also, the cameras don't work, DS games/DSi Ware doesn't work (system crashes whenever I try to use those features), the X button is halfway dead, and it has those annoying scratches on the top screen because I never got a screen protector. I've rarely used my 3DS since I got my Vita, though, which is probably the only reason I've put up with all this.

Only thing that bugs me about the redesign is the C-Stick, really wonder how that's gonna work. Hope it's at least as good as the CPP, because if it isn't, I won't be playing Resident Evil or MGS on the New 3DS. It does make me wonder, though, since Smash 4 was featured on the New 3DS, if there's gonna be C-Sticking in the 3DS version.

Also, I just have to say something about the name: what the French toast?!? I can see calling it the New 3DS before an official name is released, but... That's the official name? I can't decide wether Nintendo is just getting lazy with naming things or this is part of their amazingly genius marketing plan.

The new Smash Bros. is literally just called "For 3DS/For Wii U". THAT'S NOT EVEN A GOOD PUN! Nintendo's been lazy with names recently.

I never got a screen protector either. Kept a cleaning cloth between the screens when it was closed in my pocket to avoid loose grit scratching it up, and never had a problem there.

I'm kinda hoping it's just someone at Nintendo saying, "Hey, let's give everything we release stupid names because millions of people will buy our products anyways!" Instead of an actual marketing team giving the Nintendo Seal of Approval to these names (does that even exist anymore?).

They should go back to basics, since its basically to the 3DS as the Game Boy Color was to the Game Boy, they could call it the 3DS CPU. Or maybe the 3DS Pro. Heck, I'd probably even like 3DS 4 more. That name would go nicely with Smash Bros. 4.

I read that that analog stick on the "New" 3DS will apparently function as a C-Stick for Smashes on Smash 4... That's really cool, though I'm not sure how viable it'll be for ingame play... The analog stick looks interesting enough, hopefully it'll work well... This new 3DS model is also my excuse to upgrade to an XL with the new features...

I'm liking what I've seen so far with it.

nintendo is really good at making you feel stupid. im glad i sat out the first round of 3dses. im gonna get a super 3ds now. im gonna get a 4ds. get hype. nintendos giving me pokemon through time itself

Edited by Archer Vonn
  • Upvote 2

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I read that that analog stick on the "New" 3DS will apparently function as a C-Stick for Smashes on Smash 4... That's really cool, though I'm not sure how viable it'll be for ingame play... The analog stick looks interesting enough, hopefully it'll work well... This new 3DS model is also my excuse to upgrade to an XL with the new features...

I'm liking what I've seen so far with it.

The C-Stick for SSB4 is the biggest reason why I'm upgrading :P

nintendo is really good at making you feel stupid. im glad i sat out the first round of 3dses. im gonna get a super 3ds now. im gonna get a 4ds. get hype. nintendos giving me pokemon through time itself

Since when is time the 4th dimension? Why does everyone seem to think that? Time is a unique concept that exists in worlds of other dimensions. A two dimensional world still has a concept of time. Our three dimensional world has a concept of time. Additionally, you can't quite number our dimensions. Our world is three dimensional, but which plane can you definitively call the third dimension? Or the second?

#mathclass

.......I think time in it of itself as a concept is off topic discussion. Of course, if anyone really liked a game that featured heavy time travel, you might be able to discuss the mechanics of time that way.

Anyways, wow, I'm really liking these newcomers for Smash.... Shulk I honestly thought was complete nonsense when I heard it at first, but I'm actually glad to see him in the game. I mean, a character that has 5 different stances that change his physics that can be switched at any time to pull some effective tactics (I've been hearing Buster could be used for early on to rack up damage quickly then switching to Smash to knock the opponent away)? Count me in!

Anyone particularly hyped for certain newcomers? The ones I will definitely play with and try to make my mains when the game releases are Mega Man, Little Mac, and Robin. If the recent 3DS leaks are also true, then I'll also fool around with Dark Pit. What can I say? I enjoyed his character from KI:U. =P

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Since when is time the 4th dimension? Why does everyone seem to think that? Time is a unique concept that exists in worlds of other dimensions. A two dimensional world still has a concept of time. Our three dimensional world has a concept of time. Additionally, you can't quite number our dimensions. Our world is three dimensional, but which plane can you definitively call the third dimension? Or the second?

#mathclass

because HG Wells refers to time as the fourth dimension in the beginning of his classic novel, The Time Machine. read up, son!

.......I think time in it of itself as a concept is off topic discussion. Of course, if anyone really liked a game that featured heavy time travel, you might be able to discuss the mechanics of time that way.

minimodding is uncool

im actually kinda curious now though anybody know any good video games that use time travel as a plot device? other than like zelda's timeline theories.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

#mathclass

because HG Wells refers to time as the fourth dimension in the beginning of his classic novel, The Time Machine. read up, son!

minimodding is uncool

im actually kinda curious now though anybody know any good video games that use time travel as a plot device? other than like zelda's timeline theories.

I actually have read that :P

Ocarina of Time used it well. Sonic 06 used it well in it's own derpy way.

Majora's Mask used it brilliantly, IMO.

I felt that time travel absolutely ruined that game. Made me try and rush through parts of the game, so I felt the sense of freedom I have in every other Zelda game was severely restricted.

Anyways, I recently got Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, decent JRPG that has a sometimes awkward MMO interface (mostly because It's single player only, with the exception of local multiplayer), but the English translation... Surprised at how awful it is, it wavers from decent to incomprehensible babble. Wouldn't be surprised if they just used the English translation from the Asian version of the game to save some money, but I'd think they'd at least run the script past someone who is good with English, if only to correct all the misspelled words. Although, at times it gets so nonsensical that it's hilarious.

Diverting away from smash, I recently got "Hitman: HD trilogy" and I'm disappointed with it. Blood money is really only worth playing but it isn't in HD. Contracts is too slow paced, and Slient Assassin didn't age well.

Edited by Pupwa21

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

An SD game in an HD collection? That's just... Wrong.

Anyways, picked up Assassin's Creed (finally starting this series) and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance today. Haven't touched AC yet, but Metal Gear is a blast, as expected from Platinum. Probably going to start AC tomorrow and see why everyone likes this game.