Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Xbox One is more expensive, Joshua, because of the Kinect.

I think PC gaming is pretty overrated, that's just my opinion. Graphics don't matter too much when you're sitting on a couch ten feet away. Games get discounted after awhile. Biggest thing though is that those big AAA titles are more likely to come to consoles than PCs because that's where the money is. Don't tell me about MMOs, either. Only thing that was ever good about MMOs was the communities. You guys seen World of Warcraft's community, lately? How about LoL or DOTAs? PC gamers usually gotta go out and buy a console anyway if they don't wanna miss out on the best games

Guess my point is if you want a gaming PC you just really like modding Skyrim

I agree with "graphics are overrated", but I disagree with a few points:Games get discounted after a while - this is true, but for some reason, PC games get discounted a lot faster and sooner. Steam (iTunes for PC games) regularely holds 75% discounts or similar nonsense with games that are less then a year old, which is something you will not find in the console world.Big AAA titles? I disagree with that one too. I have seen several big AAA titles that are PC exclusive (Total War, Arma 3), or restricted on the consoles (Battlefield) and with the new console generation being all x86-architecture, multiplatforming is going to be a lot easier in the future.I don't play MMOs and therefore will not argue for or against them - I can only say that LoL and DOTA are not MMOs, they are... "action strategy games" (although I don't agree with the term).Lastly, I am in a Battlefield clan, and have seen plenty of console gamers buying PCs because they didn't want to miss out on the best games :P.

How do I make you sad? Now is the perfect time to get a PS3!

I heard something about Gran Turismo 6 coming out later this year, mabye you should look at that one too.

---AAAANYYwayy. What do you guys think about the new Need for Speed - Rivals?

Edited by -Joshua-

How do I make you sad? Now is the perfect time to get a PS3!

I heard something about Gran Turismo 6 coming out later this year, mabye you should look at that one too.

---AAAANYYwayy. What do you guys think about the new Need for Speed - Rivals?

Well, thanks for the suggestion, but I am a VERY picky gamer, and the only racers I've liked are about half the Mario Kart games, so I'mma going to probably hold off on that :P

The mention of Mario Kart reminded me of this, which is coming to U.S. arcades soon (arcades still exist here?!?):

While it looks interesting, and I'd definitely want to play it, Pac-Man is the one character that I want to stay far, far away from Nintendo games. Especially things like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. (And with Namco Bandai working on SSB4, I'm absolutely horrified by the thought that Pac-Man might just be in the next Smash)

So yeah, Pac-Man is really up there on my 'Video Game Characters I Don't Like' list.

Meh, I just really don't like 3D Pac-Man's design, but the reveal for the original Mario Kart Arcade GP with Pac-Man just really made me feel like he didn't belong in the Nintendo universe, and that made me really dislike him even more. Oh, and I know this shouldn't really count (because its incredibly rare anything good comes out of game adaptations), but I also saw about two minutes of that Pac-Man CGI show. And it was awful.Anyways, let's discuss... Worst game you've played this year.For me, it would be Paper Mario: Sticker Star, it originally looked good, but the removal of any and all RPG elements made battles with non-bosses completely pointless (and extremely boring), there were no real characters or story (which are like two of the biggest things in Paper Mario), and it's one of the very few games I've played where I had to force myself to finish it because it was so bad...

I don't if you guys may have heard, but Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will have an exclusive Deja Vu mission exclusively for Playstaion. Also I got me Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault and Into the Nexus. I love the gameplay style of F.F.A, but I did open the box of I.T.N only to get Quest for Booty. Gameplay is the same as T.o.D but it does have a slight mix of a Crack in Time.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Worst game I've played this year? Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon or Zelda: The Minish Cap. Minish Cap was all around just boring and tedious, but Dark Moon was a game I was REALLY excited for, since Luigi's Mansion ranks in as my 3rd favoritest game ever. I knew it wouldn't be better than THAT, but what we got was really disappointing. The "themes" of the mansions felt really forced, and there was just so much slapstick and it all felt out of place. The puzzles were 80% of the time void of any creativity and just revolved around shining the darklight around every inch of the area because there was something invisible. No real puzzles, just objects that were invisible. It got really old really fast. The mission structures seemed so linear, which is a huge shame when compared to the moderate open-endedness of the original game, and it too felt forced. The lack of puzzle-based portrait-styled ghosts was annoying, and the bosses we did get were terrible, except the Spider and the Knightmare. The first game actually had some genuinely creepy moments in it, which this game kinda lacked.

What's the best games you've all played this year? I played through Shadow of the Colossus last February-March, and that game simply blew me away.

Best? Last of Us, for obvious reasons.

Oh, and Persona 4, kinda forget that I got that this year, played through it multiple times.

Also, I find that people who haven't played the original Luigi's Mansion tend to like Dark Moon more than people who have. My friends love it, but I've tried it and find it pretty meh.

Edited by Terminus

Best game I played this year was either Metal Gear Rising or The Last of Us.

Worst is a tough choice but I was most disappointed by Splinter Cell: Blacklist. It still played well, but the ridiculous story and unlikeable protagonists really turned me off it. The Splinter Cell franchise really feels like they ran out of meaningful places to take it after Chaos Theory.

i'm very thoroughly enjoying dark souls lately. dunno what changed but it's rapidly becoming a favourite of mine

Is Darksouls the one that some people call a Zelda rip-off, or am I thinking of something else? I don't even mean to yuck it up or anything, but there was a game I identified only as a Zelda rip-off.

i'm very thoroughly enjoying dark souls lately. dunno what changed but it's rapidly becoming a favourite of mine

Is Darksouls the one that some people call a Zelda rip-off, or am I thinking of something else? I don't even mean to yuck it up or anything, but there was a game I identified only as a Zelda rip-off.

That's Darksiders. Dark Souls is an open world RPG that is incredibly unforgiving.

Edited by Kalopsia

Best game I've played this year? Probably Double Dragon Neon or Dragon Age Origins.

As pointed out, that's Darksiders. Dark Souls is the best unofficial Berserk game since Demon Souls.

hElbrZ6.gif

god what a cynical thing to say. you can call it that if you're unhappy with yourself.

nobody who plays dark souls thinks "this is sorta like zelda" people who watch walkthroughs of dark souls think that. people who play dark souls think "thank god zelda is nothing like this"

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I think the point's been hammered home beforehand that he confused Dark Souls with Darksiders, which is understandable if you're unfamiliar with either of them.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

god what a cynical thing to say. you can call it that if you're unhappy with yourself.

nobody who plays dark souls thinks "this is sorta like zelda" people who watch walkthroughs of dark souls think that. people who play dark souls think "thank god zelda is nothing like this"

Well, as SAH sums it up below...

I think the point's been hammered home beforehand that he confused Dark Souls with Darksiders, which is understandable if you're unfamiliar with either of them.

Yeah, I confused it with Darksiders. Both say dark, and I've not played either :P

And I can be cynical and happy with myself :P

If Dark Souls in an open-world RPG, then yeah, thank God Zelda ain't like that. Not to speak out against it, I'm just not really a fan of RPGs.

Anyone here a mobile gamer? I used to be big on that, but stopped when I got a decent PC.

Now I'm getting back into it... any games that you'd recommend?

Anybody have N.O.V.A 3 or Modern Combat 4? Or both? Which is better? Or should I just wait for Brothers in Arms 3 and Modern Combat 5?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Anyone here a mobile gamer? I used to be big on that, but stopped when I got a decent PC. Now I'm getting back into it... any games that you'd recommend? Anybody have N.O.V.A 3 or Modern Combat 4? Or both? Which is better? Or should I just wait for Brothers in Arms 3 and Modern Combat 5?

Mobile gaming? GET OUT. NOW.(just kidding :P )I have... Some version of Nova, not that bad, but for me touchscreen controls are the only thing worse than mouse & keyboard, but friends of mine who don't mind the controls like it.Also, I like the Need for Speed games, one of the few racers (mobile or otherwise) I enjoy. Also, if you've got an iOS device, I absolutely must recommend Infinity Blade. Expensive for a mobile game (somewhere around $6-$8 I think), but well worth it.

EDIT: Also remembered that the Marathon games are free (I think) on iOS, they're FPS games from the makers of Halo from the 90s. Okay from what I've played, but again, I hate mobile touch controls, so yeah.

Edited by Terminus

Anyone here a mobile gamer? I used to be big on that, but stopped when I got a decent PC.

Now I'm getting back into it... any games that you'd recommend?

Anybody have N.O.V.A 3 or Modern Combat 4? Or both? Which is better? Or should I just wait for Brothers in Arms 3 and Modern Combat 5?

BEGONE YOU LOWLY SCUM OF THE GAMING COMMUNITY!

Eh, whatever. While I MUCH prefer "real" games mobile "games", I'm asking for a Galaxy phone for Christmas, so I really can't insult you for using mobile devices :P

That said, I doubt I'm going to get hardcore into it, but I also never thought I'd get hardcore into SEGA until I acquired a Dreamcast for free, so I dunno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play

i got it with a plan for $200, still works fine today. it's an okay phone and it runs android. it also has a pretty big market of games made specifically for it. they're all a cut above regular mobile gaming, but no substitute for a vita or a 3ds.

Anyone here a mobile gamer? I used to be big on that, but stopped when I got a decent PC. Now I'm getting back into it... any games that you'd recommend? Anybody have N.O.V.A 3 or Modern Combat 4? Or both? Which is better? Or should I just wait for Brothers in Arms 3 and Modern Combat 5?

Mobile gaming? GET OUT. NOW.(just kidding :P )I have... Some version of Nova, not that bad, but for me touchscreen controls are the only thing worse than mouse & keyboard, but friends of mine who don't mind the controls like it.Also, I like the Need for Speed games, one of the few racers (mobile or otherwise) I enjoy. Also, if you've got an iOS device, I absolutely must recommend Infinity Blade. Expensive for a mobile game (somewhere around $6-$8 I think), but well worth it.

EDIT: Also remembered that the Marathon games are free (I think) on iOS, they're FPS games from the makers of Halo from the 90s. Okay from what I've played, but again, I hate mobile touch controls, so yeah.

Yeah, I have all three of the Marathon games on both my computer and mobile device. I loves them very much, but they're showing their age. I've also beaten them all multiple times. Anyone else here play Marathon?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

understandably so

nah i never played marathon. i just reinstalled halo pc on my computer and i'm destroying multiplayer. everyone on this game is terrible, i swear. it's an alright game though, its from a different time but that's sort of a good thing.

So I kinda finished modding my Skyrim again, now that I have a new computer. Some graphics mods for high-res textures, some gameplay mods to make it more interesting, more balanced and slightly less grind-focused... and a heck of a lot of bug fixes etc. Now I am torn between playing it, Borderlands 2 or some of my unplayed games, because I can run it all now.

@The God of War: I kind of feel the same with many games I go multiplayer on. I'm not a good player by any means, but I am decent. I grasp basic mechanics and try to fulfill objectives, etc. Then I pop on a random TF2 server and see people do so terrible I can't help but wonder what they are thinking. When you are a low-HP scout, don't walk straight towards the turret gun! You have literally zero chance! And if no one even tries to go for the capture point except me, how am I supposed to defend it against 3 or 4 enemies at once? It makes me feel like I'm doing terrible due to my inevitable death, even if I take out two of them before dying. In a 4-on-1, killing 2 opponents from full health is a good accomplishment, but it is undermined by being defeated by the other 2 and then watching the capture point reset to the opposing team... my effort in vain.

Any server where people talk over mic, though, have a much higher degree of friendliness, cooperation and even just basic skill, so then I regain faith in the player base. :P

Wakey wakey, new Persona news~

4 GAMES ANNOUNCED:

> PERSONA Q 3DS P3xP4 CROSSOVER GAME WITH 5 PARTY MEMBERS AT THE SAME TIMEVIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfqRXPXbQQ> PERSONA ARENA 2 FOR PS3Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqmnp2wZRU4> PERSONA DANCE GAME (?!) FOR VITAVideo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BIRWiifo8> PERSONA 5 FOR PS3Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZssK05WYo

hElbrZ6.gif

Wakey wakey, new Persona news~4 GAMES ANNOUNCED:

> PERSONA Q 3DS P3xP4 CROSSOVER GAME WITH 5 PARTY MEMBERS AT THE SAME TIMEVIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etfqRXPXbQQ> PERSONA ARENA 2 FOR PS3Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqmnp2wZRU4> PERSONA DANCE GAME (?!) FOR VITAVideo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BIRWiifo8> PERSONA 5 FOR PS3Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZssK05WYo

YES YES YES!!!Need to watch the videos now...Edit: Watched them, here's what I think:Persona Q: looks solid, even though I'm not a big fan of the chibi stuff. Wondering about the story, though, it obviously looks non-canon.Persona Dance Game: I LOVE rhythm games, a definite day-one purchase for me.P5: Interesting trailer, although I'm kinda disappointed that there's no characters yet. Oh we'll, well find out soon enough.

Also just got Persona 2: Eternal Punishment off the PSN store for $5 (Atlus has a sale going on now). Definitely excited to see how it compares to 3/4, as I've heard 1/2 are quite different.

Anyways, think I might just splurged on Skyrim for my laptop... It's about $7 on steam and I think my laptop meets the minimum requirements...

So... Any good mods anyone would recommend?

Edited by Terminus

Tearaway is in my list of games to get when I get a vita, because Media Molecule.

Actually, there's a fair amount of games I want for the Vita... Gravity Rush, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Persona 4, and a few import games...

Well, If I don't get my HDTV tomorrow, I'm definitely getting a Vita.