Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Got Kerfuffle on Wii U for Christmas. Really fun game.

anyway, changing gears from smash, i got dragon's dogma: dark arisen as a christmas gift. really a wonderful game that slipped out just at the end of the last generation- i deleted a long paragraph of fanboying, but trust me, it's a great game for any action, fantasy, or RPG fan and if you have a ps3 or 360 you should definitely pick it up.

I keep holding out hope we'll get another one, since even the basic game was great. Doubt it's going to happen at this rate, though.

dont worry too much friend; just because a series isn't yearly doesn't mean it can't continue. dark arisen only came out in 2013

i think smash 4 is balanced enough. purer games than it have thrived with worse balance, ssf4ae for example.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I know how Marth was nerfed, and I can get why people are mad. Thing is, I'm not a competitive fighter, and neither is literally anyone I fight against. As my war story shows, as lo g as you have a modicum of intelligence while your opponents aren't (stop charging up a smash attack when I'm returning to the stage I've already airdodged two of those before), you can do all right. =P Lucina rashed Greninja, Bpwser, and Little Mac, giving her something to make her daddy proud of her. She probably wouldn't have such a chance in a tourney, but that's okay. =P Oh and I also managed to win (though performance wasn't as good) with Marth in a match against Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, and (humorously) Lucina. Originals vs. Clones much? =P

Also, you do realize glitches and exploits are patched out along with balance changes, right? So basically, every time a patch happens, say goodbye to advanced techniques like bomb lag canceling, Teleggporting, and most tragically, wectoring.

RIP in peace flying farting plumbers

Edited by Toru Acura: The Saboteur

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Disappointing that Smash isn't getting any more balance patches. I was hoping they'd support them for about a year after release, not a month. At least the lack of balance patches means that our replays won't be deleted, I guess. :/

Although given the fact that Smash has much more casual appeal than nearly every other fighter out there, I can see why they wouldn't really care about too many patches.

Also, you do realize glitches and exploits are patched out along with balance changes, right? So basically, every time a patch happens, say goodbye to advanced techniques like bomb lag canceling, Teleggporting, and most tragically, wectoring.

Which is why I specified the patches to be balance! :P

I hate how they remove exploits. Exploits are completely fair and add to the game. I don't need the wavedash back, but I miss the DACUS and the bombcancel!

I hate how they remove exploits. Exploits are completely fair and add to the game. I don't need the wavedash back, but I miss the DACUS and the bombcancel!

But I can still do an up smash while dashing? Hrm, is there a slight delay like you have to cancel the dash and then up smash that I don't feel cause I'm still stupid?

And the whole reasoning behind removing exploits is to try and even the playing field I guess. Sakurai said himself that he doesn't like how fighters have such a high learning curve, and exploits lend themselves to that curve. 

But I can still do an up smash while dashing? Hrm, is there a slight delay like you have to cancel the dash and then up smash that I don't feel cause I'm still stupid?

And the whole reasoning behind removing exploits is to try and even the playing field I guess. Sakurai said himself that he doesn't like how fighters have such a high learning curve, and exploits lend themselves to that curve. 

That's not the same as DACUS. That's a sliding Smash. DACUS is similar, but overall different. In a DACUS, you actually execute the first few frames of your dash attack before canceling it, and then slide based on the momentum of your dash attack. Snake had an excellent DACUS, but a poor sliding Smash.

Okay, that explains it. Hmm, but apparently doing a DACUS pre-1.04 didn't lead to any sliding or momentum whatsoever? Doesn't that kinda remove the apllication of the technique already?

Also, apparently there are still a few people who don't listen to the doom and gloom about Marth and continue to hone their skills with him. One if them, Mr. E managed to 2 stock Mew2King when he was using Diddy Kong:

Yeah, it's online so Mew2King wasn't playing at his best. Even still, Mr, E was battling under the same conditions and apparently he was even acknowledged to be a fine player by Mew2King after the matches. This guy also has his own Youtube channel, which could potentially serve as a means to inspire Marth mains to not listen to the naysayers and continue playing as the Hero-King.

Oh, and apparently Marth's sword is thinner but not shorter? I saw that somewhere and wouod like to confirm if that is the case.

Which would be good because then the added variety in competitive matches would help alleviate the fact everyone is using Diddy Kong atm. =P

Edited by Toru Acura: The Saboteur

Okay, that explains it. Hmm, but apparently doing a DACUS pre-1.04 didn't lead to any sliding or momentum whatsoever? Doesn't that kinda remove the apllication of the technique already?

Also, apparently there are still a few people who don't listen to the doom and gloom about Marth and continue to hone their skills with him. One if them, Mr. E managed to 2 stock Mew2King when he was using Diddy Kong:

Yeah, it's online so Mew2King wasn't playing at his best. Even still, Mr, E was battling under the same conditions and apparently he was even acknowledged to be a fine player by Mew2King after the matches. This guy also has his own Youtube channel, which could potentially serve as a means to inspire Marth mains to not listen to the naysayers and continue playing as the Hero-King.

Oh, and apparently Marth's sword is thinner but not shorter? I saw that somewhere and wouod like to confirm if that is the case.

Which would be good because then the added variety in competitive matches would help alleviate the fact everyone is using Diddy Kong atm. =P

Mindgames I guess :P

I'm still maining Marth. I hate Sakurai for ruining him in an attempt to "balance" the game, but Marth still feels closest to what I want to play. That doesn't mean he wasn't badly nerfed though. Pretty much everything he used to be good at was removed and he was given very little to compensate.

The sword's hitbox isn't that different, but Marth's hurtbox is larger, so while you can still hit someone from approximately the same distance as in Brawl, it's much less safe.

So basically the DACUS not existing anymore didn't really change all that much, huh? =P 

Well, if you still want to try to make Marth work, that Mr. E guy DOES have a few videos up on his channel. Here are two videos from the Wii U version of him playing, maybe you can draw inspiration from how he plays?

Oh, and he also beat Salem in a match once, making that yet another well-known and respected Smasher this nobody Marth player has done well against.

Underdogs are really the best. =P

i'd assume nobodys in smash are more likely to be good than in other games since the only smash game that still appears consistentantly in tournaments is melee, meaning everyone who practices brawl, PM, or 4 is more than likely a 'nobody'

• 2 weeks later...

What games are you all looking forward to the most this year?

I know that it probably won't be available in NA until at least next year, but I'm pretty excited for Bravely Second. I'm also very excited for Mario Maker; I can't wait to start creating my own levels. As far as non-Nintendo games go, I'm kind of excited for Rise of the Tomb Raider, although I still need to play the 2013 Tomb Raider game.

I'm pretty interested in Mario Maker, I stopped caring about Mario platformers around the time I got into LittleBigPlanet, and I'm really interested in seeing how Nintendo will handle the user-generated content. Plus, I have a feeling that the Gamepad will be great for level design.

Other games I'm excited for (in this general order):

1. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD/Final Fantasy XV

2. Persona 5

3. Danganronpa: Another Episode (no western release date yet, but I'd bet it'll hit this year)

4. Steins;Gate on PS Vita

5. However many Hyperdimension Neptunia games are coming out this year (think 3 are definitely happening)

And I'm sure there are more, those are just the top ones I can think of at the moment.

Did anyone else have the misfortune to buy Assassin's Creed Unity? Are they still trying to patch it as it's still appallingly badly optimised for AMD and I would like to actually play the game I spent all that money on some day! Still, at least I got a nice figurine out of it...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Is it just me, or is All-Star mode in SSB4 much harder than in Brawl? I had multiple of my mains butts handed to me.

I haven't actually tried All-Star mode yet, so I wouldn't know. Also, yeah, edit that.

Anyway, that Nintendo Direct was certainly something. Really frustrated with the fact that the Majora's Mask N3DS XL is a Gamestop/EB Games exclusive in North America - that's my chances of getting one slashed immediately and thrown down the drain.

Interested to see the Super Mario amiibo figures - I might grab Toad, but otherwise I'm going to continue focusing on the Smash Bros. figures for now.

What annoys me more than anything is Nintendo's stupid decision not to bring the normal New 3DS over to the US. I don't really want an XL, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Now, to decide wether I get the Monster Hunter or Zelda version...

Good luck getting your hands on the Zelda version. =|

I wouldn't really think I'd have any problem getting the Zelda one, I can get to GS easy enough, and if I can't, there's always their website. My Zelda WiiU was easy enough to get.

Anyways, I'll be getting the Monster Hunter one, because the Zelda one doesn't actually come with Majora's Mask.

Also, glad to see a release date for Xenoblade 3D, Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii U will be a day-one buy for me, and Fire Emblem if looks pretty neat.

Edited by Terminus

Is it just me, or is All-Star mode in SSB4 much harder than in Brawl? I had multiple of my mains butt handed to me.

It's way harder. First off, you have to face more characters, on less health recoveries (Brawl gave you 3 Containers, each at 999% healing. 4 gives you a Tomato at 50%, a Fairy at 100% (but only if you have more than 100%), and 2 Containers). On top of that, the AI for characters with counters (meaning, like, half the newcomers) is garbage with their perfect timing. And the stages are generally awful.

What annoys me more than anything is Nintendo's stupid decision not to bring the normal New 3DS over to the US. I don't really want an XL, but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Now, to decide wether I get the Monster Hunter or Zelda version...

Really weird too, since I liked the idea of custom faceplats, and the larger size of the whole XL is a turn-off to me (though I appreciate the screens themselves :P)

I just placed a pre-order, and the Zelda one has been sold out all day. Got mine in black.

EDIT: TOTALLY PSYCHED FOR THE NEW FIRE EMBLEM!

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

dat MM N3DS and FE14, man. Really hope to get my hands on the N3DS.

What games are you all looking forward to the most this year?

I know that it probably won't be available in NA until at least next year, but I'm pretty excited for Bravely Second. I'm also very excited for Mario Maker; I can't wait to start creating my own levels. As far as non-Nintendo games go, I'm kind of excited for Rise of the Tomb Raider, although I still need to play the 2013 Tomb Raider game.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Zelda Wii U

Majora's Mask 3D
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Persona 5

Disgaea 5

Project STEAM

FE x SMT

Chroma Squad

Lord of the Magna

Couple more I can't think of, honestly.

I'm hoping Blackguards and Blackguards 2 get a PS4 port, since I'm not going to be able to build a gaming rig anytime soon.

hElbrZ6.gif

Smash 4 All-Star is ridiculous. Just yesterday I finally managed to finish clearing it with every character on Hard (3DS version). Would not recommend. Basically consists of:

• 15% Stage-induced deaths
  • 20% Inescapable combos and juggles
  • 10% Counters
  • 15% Unpunishable shields, since grabbing the guy who shields leaves you open to everybody else
  • 10% BNF and stupid gimps
  • 15% Inability to see yourself thanks to the tiny screen and massive stage
  • 5% Having 99 damage when you need to use the Fairy
  • 10% Legitimate victory
  • 100% Frustration

Not to mention that some characters are simply terrible for All-Star. Palutena comes to mind. On the other hand, with heavies (ie Bowser, Ganon, Mac, Ike, etc.) All-Star is a walk in the park since they can survive extreme damage as well as deal extreme knockback for early kills, since opponents die more easily in All-Star.

Glad that's over.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

Well, I got to read the Nintendo Direct stuff in more detail last night (I first read about it during break at work), and I'm kinda disappointed that the rereleases of Wii games on WiiU are VC-only and not HD ports, although that's probably because I'm more annoyed that we're getting Wii VC games before GCN games (which won't happen, because Nintendo doesn't want to use the GCN adapter for more than smash), although Gamepad Support for the games that support classic controllers is great (one of my biggest annoyances when playing Wii games is not being able to do that, glad that'll eventually come to Wii discs).

Might pick up Mario Galaxy 2 sometime this week. Enjoyed 1, so hopefully this one will be just as good.

Well, I got to read the Nintendo Direct stuff in more detail last night (I first read about it during break at work), and I'm kinda disappointed that the rereleases of Wii games on WiiU are VC-only and not HD ports, although that's probably because I'm more annoyed that we're getting Wii VC games before GCN games (which won't happen, because Nintendo doesn't want to use the GCN adapter for more than smash), although Gamepad Support for the games that support classic controllers is great (one of my biggest annoyances when playing Wii games is not being able to do that, glad that'll eventually come to Wii discs).

Might pick up Mario Galaxy 2 sometime this week. Enjoyed 1, so hopefully this one will be just as good.

Not even VC. VC games would upscale to 1080p, which would look good enough for me. They are literally just the ISOs being run through Wii Mode.

I personally thought Galaxy 2 was like, one of the most overrated games of all time. It wasn't bad (though not my style, I prefer the open Mario games to the linear ones), but it wasn't creative (85% of the content was reused concepts from Galaxy 1 given new skins so people would think they were new), the soundtrack wasn't quite as good (though still excellent), and it was so darn easy. The Green Stars in the game were garbage to find, though. Think Team Caotix from Sonic Heroes; a scavenger hunt in linear levels, which just doesn't work IMO.

Only way I ever see Wii games actually looking good in HD is if they remaster them in HD. Upscaling games to 1080p has never really looked any good to me, unless they're sprite-based (case in point- GBA eShop releases).

Anyways, really disappointed to find out that Metroid Prime Trilogy doesn't support the classic controller, even for the first two. May just seek them out for Gamecube, then.

Only way I ever see Wii games actually looking good in HD is if they remaster them in HD. Upscaling games to 1080p has never really looked any good to me, unless they're sprite-based (case in point- GBA eShop releases).

By upscaling, I meant re-rendering the models to a newer internal resolution, as opposed to just stretching the image. I would recommend looking at Dolphin, some of the games look tremendously better. Sprite based games have absolutely no difference by this, since they cannot really be rendered at higher internal resolutions.

So, essentially remastering, then. Because Wii U already upscales all Wii stuff to 1080p (or the TV does it, but the end result is essentially the same).

Rerendering games isn't too uncommon (I mean, look at all the HD ports of games from the GCN/PS2/XBox era), but in their current state, I'd definitely say that the digital Wii games would fall into the category of Virtual Console games (none of which, I believe, are rerendered).

And I have seen Dolphin before, it's some pretty sweet stuff. Really makes me want Nintendo to release Super Mario Sunshine HD...

So, essentially remastering, then. Because Wii U already upscales all Wii stuff to 1080p (or the TV does it, but the end result is essentially the same).

Rerendering games isn't too uncommon (I mean, look at all the HD ports of games from the GCN/PS2/XBox era), but in their current state, I'd definitely say that the digital Wii games would fall into the category of Virtual Console games (none of which, I believe, are rerendered).

And I have seen Dolphin before, it's some pretty sweet stuff. Really makes me want Nintendo to release Super Mario Sunshine HD...

Oh, by remaster, I thought you meant like, totally overhaul the graphics, like Ocarina of Time to Ocarina of Time 3D.

The Wii VC rerendered N64 games at 480p from the original 240p, so I would expect Wii U would rerender most VC games at 1080p. I could see it maybe not being powerful enough to load an actual Wii emulator, which would explain Wii Mode.

I wish there were more HD texture packs for Dolphin. If I could find a perfect, 100% complete HD texture pack for like, Xenoblade or Twilight Princess.... Oh!

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the correct term is, but remaster is definitely closer to what you're thinking of than upscaling.

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure what's happening with N64 games on Wii (I'd hazard a guess that they're using some coding from the Gamecube Master Quest port or something like that on all N64 games), but rendering N64 things up to 480p is definitely much easier than rendering 480p last-gen games up to 1080p. Thus the reason HD Remasters exist (that, HD textures, and, you know, money).

nintendo game general

Lol, if anyone else showed off anything creative or interesting, I'd be talking about that :P

The only thing I see coming on PS4/Xbone that interests me right now is Uncharted 4, and I won't be getting that until I have a PS4, which I won't be getting until there are games on it.

People are already saying Uncharted 4 already has GOTY in the bag. And given Naughty Dog's track record, I don't really doubt that at all.

And now I remember that I need to actually finish the first 3 Uncharted games... Well, I guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day.

I bought Fire Emblem: Awakening this morning at last - looking forward to it arriving!

#NintendoGameGeneral

You shalln't be disappointed.

People are already saying Uncharted 4 already has GOTY in the bag. And given Naughty Dog's track record, I don't really doubt that at all.

And now I remember that I need to actually finish the first 3 Uncharted games... Well, I guess I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day.

They are really short games. I finished each one in a few days of playing.

What surprises me is that I've had them all for nearly two years... And I haven't even finished the first one yet. I did finish Golden Abyss on Vita, but that one wasn't as good as what I've played of Drake's Fortune.

... I really should just take a few days to plow through my backlog.

Anyways, finally freed up enough space on my PS3's hard drive to download Mirror's Edge (it was free for a day last month, snagged it then), I've heard pretty much all really good things about that game, so I'm excited to finally try it. Also hoping I can get enough space to fit in Prototype 2 (one of the free PS+ games this month), because I've been interested in trying that series for a while.

Edited by Terminus

????????????? but uncharted 4 isnt even out yet

Lol, if anyone else showed off anything creative or interesting, I'd be talking about that  :P

sick burn frend xD

Edited by Archer Vonn
  • Upvote 1