Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Sonic and Mario are the same, IMO, insofar as they're both once-great series that are a good deal past their prime. Except there are more good Mario games still coming out than Sonic ones.

And Nintendorks are the worst.

No, Apple "gamer" fanboys are the worst!

Mario is far past his prime, so I agree completely. Galaxy was the last one I liked at all. But yes, Sonic had less good games to start with, and died out much quicker.

The problem with Mario is the oversaturation of the games. I don't necessarily think the games will see as deep of a drop in quality as Sonic did. And as I said before, I have faith that the franchise will rise from the ashes. I'll be wary still, but I don't think Sonic the Hedgehog is a dead franchise.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

No, I feel there is a distinct quality drop. I disliked the move from open-world style to more linear games, and now games like 3D Land on 3DS were just plain lazy. I mean, there were about ten levels in the whole game, and they were just constantly reused, total copy-paste, with a slight gimmick added to them. I played through Galaxy 2 and Sunshine around the same time, and, when I finished them both, I felt that Galaxy 2 was noticeably lesser than Sunshine.

Oversaturation is a problem that is probably leading to the lack of creativity. World was 1991, 64 was 1996, and Sunshine was 2002. Now, we get one a year, at least. Also, they make them too easy. Sunshine was the last difficult game they made. Galaxy 2 had ONE hard level in it, and 3D Land's idea of "hard" was "add a gimmick that is just unfair and not very fun to play with".

I don't think Sonic's dead, but it's dying. It may pick up, but I'm not really seeing it. Not that I want it to die. Colors showed me what SEGA was capable of, but I'm just not seeing it happening.

Anyone interested in either new Yoshi game coming out? I FINALLY 100%ed Yoshi's Island on GBA, more than 10 years after getting it. It was my first Nintendo game, so it was VERY nostalgic.

No, Apple "gamer" fanboys are the worst.

Wait a sec.Those actually exist?Anyways, for me Mario is surviving off Mario & Luigi (which is not as good as it once was, but still is pretty good) and spinoffs (mainly Kart and the sports games, which are usually halfway decent).Once we get a Mario game more in the vein of 64 or Sunshine, or even Galaxy 1, then my faith in the series might be restored.

If Nintendo can bother to NOT give us 1-2 new Mario platformers for the next two years, I will consider it as having been enough time for them to possibly give us something new. But the last three years in particular have sucked; 3D Land was worthless, NSMB2 is the definition of gimmick, NSMBU is a rehash, NSLU is a rehash of a rehash, and from what I've seen 3D World looks to be about as fun to play as 3D Land was.

I disliked Mario Kart 7 and am afraid to play Paper Mario: Sticker Star; I don't want to risk my opinion of the series as a whole.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team are pretty good, but it's gonna take more than that for me to believe Mario is worth it again. In the meantime, I'd love a new Metroid game... or F-Zero... or Star Fox....

No, Apple "gamer" fanboys are the worst.

Wait a sec.Those actually exist?

Yep, and it's disgusting.

If Nintendo can bother to NOT give us 1-2 new Mario platformers for the next two years, I will consider it as having been enough time for them to possibly give us something new. But the last three years in particular have sucked; 3D Land was worthless, NSMB2 is the definition of gimmick, NSMBU is a rehash, NSLU is a rehash of a rehash, and from what I've seen 3D World looks to be about as fun to play as 3D Land was.

I disliked Mario Kart 7 and am afraid to play Paper Mario: Sticker Star; I don't want to risk my opinion of the series as a whole.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team are pretty good, but it's gonna take more than that for me to believe Mario is worth it again. In the meantime, I'd love a new Metroid game... or F-Zero... or Star Fox....

The heck is NSLU?

Mario Kart 7 was surprisingly bad IMO.

The generally consensus I've observed on Dark Moon is people who didn't think the original is one of the best games ever made like it, while those who did found it lacking. I personally thought Dark Moon was overly linear and it just felt forced, and half the "puzzles" consisted of aimlessly scanning with your darklight, hoping to find something. Game was really lacking in creativity at times. Not a bad one, but a disappointment.

After looking at a list of all the Mario games that come out... Pretty much everything since 2007 has been mediocre at best, absolutely awful at worst, with the exception of Galaxy, Mario & Luigi, and Mario Kart, which at their worst, are still pretty good games...

Also, Super Princess Peach is the best Mario game on the DS, IMO.

NSLU = New Super Luigi U

I always forget that this exists, because it shouldn't. NSLU was an INSULT to Luigi at this point. He doesn't need a platformer, and part of what made him great was his unique games. Luigi didn't have much personality until Luigi's Mansion.

After looking at a list of all the Mario games that come out... Pretty much everything since 2007 has been mediocre at best, absolutely awful at worst, with the exception of Galaxy, Mario & Luigi, and Mario Kart, which at their worst, are still pretty good games...

Also, Super Princess Peach is the best Mario game on the DS, IMO.

OJBECTION: Mario Kart 7 was mediocre.

nintendo fanboys are the "worst" because of how easy they are to spot. it seems like they are everywhere. like even in real life they're pretty easy to spot. prevalence makes them seem annoying.

in my experience, microsoft fanboys are worse. nintendo fanboys are very common but they, at least, at level headed. all the serious microsoft fanboys i've run into lately have been such unbelievably angry and pig headed people. soon as i mention i'm a playstation guy they attack me because the ps4 is doing better than the xbone or the ps3 is doing better than the 360. it's beyond frustrating.

talking about fanboys always leads to fights, though. lets move onnn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

nintendo fanboys are the "worst" because of how easy they are to spot. it seems like they are everywhere. like even in real life they're pretty easy to spot. prevalence makes them seem annoying.

in my experience, microsoft fanboys are worse. nintendo fanboys are very common but they, at least, at level headed. all the serious microsoft fanboys i've run into lately have been such unbelievably angry and pig headed people. soon as i mention i'm a playstation guy they attack me because the ps4 is doing better than the xbone or the ps3 is doing better than the 360. it's beyond frustrating.

"Fanboys" of any console, system, etc. are the worse. Whether you play Xbox, Nintendo, Sony whatever I don't care. As an Xbox gamer myself, it's rather annoying having "fanboys" diminish your console reputation by acting like a bunch of buffoons. Don't think only Microsoft people rambles about it, whenever I mention that I'm an Xbox gamer, immediately out of nowhere I get some Sony "fanboys" just gang up on me. Seriously, people who start wars about consoles need to get help. Fast.

Lets just all respect each other preferences, children.

Edited by MaliceGhost

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

I find opinions on Mario Kart 7 to be... Rather divisive. I have one friend who likes it the best out of every Mario Kart, another who dropped it almost instantly in favor of MKWii, and I think it's right in the middle of all the Mario Kart games. Only Mario Kart I legitimately don't like is Super Mario Kart.

Anyways, I've been playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss for the past couple hours, and dear god, that game is as gimmicky as an early Wii game. It uses pretty much every near-useless function the Vita has, from cameras to motion control to rear touchpad.... I just realized you could aim the sniper rifle with the right analog stick instead of the motion sensor, when my thumb hit the stick when I went to pause the game.

Please don't start on fanboys of various consoles unless you want this thread to dissolve into evil and digital debauchery.

Also.

If I can run Crysis 2 on Very High and Extreme, can I run Crysis Warhead?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

I love when Microsoft fanboys try to tell me how "Xbox Live" makes their console the best... because they have to pay for it?

"Fanboys" of any console, system, etc. are the worse. Whether you play Xbox, Nintendo, Sony whatever I don't care. As an Xbox gamer myself, it's rather annoying having "fanboys" diminish your console reputation by acting like a bunch of buffoons. Don't think only Microsoft people rambles about it, whenever I mention that I'm an Xbox gamer, immediately out of nowhere I get some Sony "fanboys" just gang up on me. Seriously, people who start wars about consoles need to get help. Fast.

No! My opinions are fact!

Only Mario Kart I legitimately don't like is Super Mario Kart.

That, the GBA one, and 7 (as I mentioned) all didn't rest well with me. The rest are awesome.

Please don't start on fanboys of various consoles unless you want this thread to dissolve into evil and digital debauchery.

Aw! Why'd you have to go and ruin all the fun!?! :P

But yeah, let's try to not offend people. Even my comment on Xbox Live above, if you feel it's worth it, it's your money. I personally am boycotting PS4 because of the mandatory PS+ now.

I had Mario Kart: Super Circuit years ago... Need to get it again simply so I can say I've completed every Mario Kart game, I remember only ever playing 50cc (because I sucked at video games when I was younger :P) and got absurdly excited when I discovered you could unlock bonus tracks (everything from SMK) about a year after I got it.

And that reminds me that GBA games need to be released on the 3DS eShop to everyone. The VC on the 3DS is kinda mostly junk, with a few exceptions, and adding GBA games would really be fantastic. I'd totally be down for purchasing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga a fourth time.

And that reminds me that GBA games need to be released on the 3DS eShop to everyone. The VC on the 3DS is kinda mostly junk, with a few exceptions, and adding GBA games would really be fantastic. I'd totally be down for purchasing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga a fourth time.

I'd be down purchasing Metroid: Fusion or Zero Mission if they add a lot of GBA games.

speaking of which...

What games would you guys want to have released on the VC? I really want some Pokemon games on there, so I can say that I've at least played a bit of every generation. Specifically gen 2 games. Played yellow, did not like it.

stupid pikachu

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I think the chances of us getting Mother and Mother 3 on the VC are pretty much nil. Not only are they both only in Japanese, but I believe that there are also copyright issues. But now that I've played EarthBound, I'd like to try the other Mother games.

And yeah, we definitely need cross-platform. And SNES games on the 3DS (although is the screen resolution too low for those?).

I dunno. I know N64 was only 240i, compared to the 3DS's pitiful 240p, but I think SNES games were more than that.

But, seeing as I'm SURE the N64 could easily be emulated by the 3DS, and they'd have some problems getting GCN games running on Wii U due to lack of analogue buttons, both consoles should have completely identical VC libraries. And their lame excuse of "we can't release games fast because we rewrite the code for each" doesn't cut it for me, since an emulator plays 99% of games just fine without issues, so every friggen' game on Wii VC should be on Wii U VC by now.

There are fan translations for Mother 3 available, and the team that made it said they'd be perfectly willing to give it to Nintendo FOR FREE if they'd just release Mother 3 in the US. Mother actually has an official translation already; the game was slated for NES release but dropped because they wanted to focus on SNES.

here's this defensiveness i was talking about lol

I'd be down purchasing Metroid: Fusion or Zero Mission if they add a lot of GBA games.

speaking of which...

What games would you guys want to have released on the VC? I really want some Pokemon games on there, so I can say that I've at least played a bit of every generation. Specifically gen 2 games. Played yellow, did not like it.

stupid pikachu

yo you can put pikachu in the box dude :P

Aw, but trolling is so much fun! :P

So, Skull Kid in Smash 4, numerous references to Majora's Mask in ALBW, and Majora's Mask really needing a 3DS remake all at once? Majora's Mask 3D confirmed.

I would love this.

I await the day we get SNES games on the 3DS VC, though (I hope). I'd finally have A Link to the Past right there whenever I want to play it. Pulling the SNES out of its hidden storage area is too taxing to do every single time. -_-

So I was kinda interested in getting Project X Zone, due to the whole Cool vs. Awesome mentality with crossovers.

Too bad I suck at RTS games, and I wouldn't be able to play the game with a single shred of dignity, due to the massive amounts of fanservice...

PXZ is your basic SRPG that has a battle system that looks like something from a fighting game, but it actually plays just like any other turn-based RPG, except for the fact that it maybe requires a little bit of timing. Unfortunately for me, PXZ's hour-long battles and repetitiveness stopped me from ever getting even halfway through the game.

Anyways, if you're interested in the game, I'd try the demo first.

ALSO: Smash 4 possibly coming in the spring (original article here):

At Christmas we now want to inspire with titles like Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U and all of course Super Mario 3D World, the classic Nintendo Family for the new console. For next spring two more big license games are also announced for our TV console with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros."

Edited by Terminus

Just a quick FYI for Xbox Live Gold members - Gears of War is free until December 15th or 16th, so make sure to download that while you can.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

ALSO: Smash 4 possibly coming in the spring (original article here):

At Christmas we now want to inspire with titles like Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U and all of course Super Mario 3D World, the classic Nintendo Family for the new console. For next spring two more big license games are also announced for our TV console with Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros."

If this is true, then we might see the game by 2015. If we are lucky.

I mean, just look at the original release dates for Kid Icarus and Brawl, compared to what we got.

If Smash 4's dev cycle is the same as Brawl's, It'll get a Japanese release July-August. Not spring, but Namco Bandai's helping out, so maybe it's going faster. Or maybe they just cut out half of the characters so they could worry less about balancing and stuff.

Now excuse me while I play Jump Ultimate Stars and revel in the fact that I'm most likely one of the few people around for miles to be enjoying a really good Smash clone on my DS.

I hope with Namco Bandai helping out that the game comes out reasonably close to when they say it does. But Smash is a massive game with lots of hype, so they should still take a lot of time refining it and coming out with a quality product.

I played the demos, and I like the battle system. It's really over the top, which is something I expect from crossovers. But I keep dying a lot, and I wouldn't be able to play the game in front of ANYONE without getting lots of strange looks. And my parents would kill me if they found out that was what I was playing. Who knows, maybe I should just get Dream Team if I want a good RPG on 3DS...

Also, Miiverse on 3DS is here! Should I make an account?

Edited by JiMing

Just a quick FYI for Xbox Live Gold members - Gears of War is free until December 15th or 16th, so make sure to download that while you can.

nice. i bought gold a month ago so i could get h3 for free but i missed it by like a day or two. glad to see i'll get something i want out of that excursion ^^,

I'm not expecting SSB4 to really be all that big... No campaign (which I'm really not happy about), no cross-play, and talk of a smaller roster... I think I just killed half if my hype for Smash 4.

Good 3DS RPG? Anything but PXZ, but you can't really go wrong with Dream Team.