Marvel, Rebirth:

OOC: I like throwing tracks at random into posts it's a thing I do now

IC: BVVVVVP BVVVP.

I looked down. Who could possibly be texting me at this hour? It wasn't many I gave my number to, especially after the way the past three years went...

Message From: Littler Imouto

Oh, I grimaced, steeling my rapidly-numbing nerves for whatever lied within. She didn't have a phone yet, my parents were trying to hold out as long as they could on that front. Meaning, I'd give them about another year before they buckled under the pressure of a phoneless 15 year old. 

But back to the point

>>Onii-chan, while people can get lost sometimes, the smartest thing to do is to think carefully when you've calmed down.

Scolded by my own little sister. I couldn't believe I wasted precious battery life over this! She knew nothing of the circumstances at play here, and not to mention she had no right to--

Managing to frown without biting my own lip or tongue, which I must say right now is a learned skill for me, I slid the phone back into my pocket, praying I hadn't drained it too much in the maybe 15 seconds it had been on. If you don't understand why there is a risk of biting myself in the first place, I'm sorry, let me explain.

You see.

I am a vampire.

A creature of the night, a blood sucker from European myth, a charming demon hailing from the West: all applicable names for the concept of what I am. As of two weeks ago now, likely roughly to the hour, I was turned by my...

I'm not sure if there's a term for it. I'll go with "Siress" for now. A beautiful woman with long golden hair, glacial blue eyes...

And three or four missing limbs. Needless to say, my offering of my neck saved her life. 

However.

I cannot say she reciprocated the courtesy. She merely told me to come here, to New York City, and find another of our kind.

Jenna Rosewood. An Italian vampire who's going on five hundred (or is it six hundred?) and doesn't look the part in the slightest. She's the one who has actually taken Hikaru, or "Luke", Kurokawa, that's me, in, and is "showing me the ropes", so to speak.

She's also the reason why I'm standing here like a bump on a log tonight. What did she say we were going do, again?

Whatever it was, she did seem excited...

I turned my head and looked up, hoping time would wash over me like some great wave as I stared up into the night sky.

Edited by Best Gungnir

helo frens

IC:

"WELCOME, CLASS," Jenna announced thunderously, with a wave of her arms to boot, "TO SCRUFFY'S!"

First on their nostalgic tour of the punk clubs of the 1970s and early 80s, Scruffy's was a few blocks east of NYU, which Jenna explained had made it a prime market for vampires who wanted a hookup or a quick bite. New York had been full of clubs like that, reeking of cheap booze, eyeliner leather, and packed to burst with music, but...well, as Jenna put it...

"Scruffy had the wiliest business sense I've ever seen in a human. You guys ever seen that show on TV with all the inventors pitching their ? How they sell stuff to attach to your grill, or a bigger, better, remote control, and you think, 'Wow, I wish I'd thought of that?" Jenna asked, probably rhetorically. "Well, Scruffy sold fake IDs to vampires. It was a pretty genius racket. Vampires would come to the club asking for cash, licenses, Socials, and Scruffy would sell them for vampire blood. Had an awful skin condition, made his skin all scaly like a gator's. Vampire blood took the edge off." 

Jenna walked inside with nary a peek for anyone watching, Luke and Leon trailing behind her and (hopefully) taking notes (as she'd requested) on their way inside while she talked.

"Now, thing is, Scruffy had a couple years before he could build himself a large operation, which means that his runners mostly consisted of vamps who turned in their kills' wallets for cash. The more people demanded IDs, the more this wasn't gonna fly, and Scruffy had a bit of a moral streak, so he instituted three ground rules - no kills under the age of 25, no selling more than one ID in thirty days, and absolutely no fatalities within a block of this bar. No one inside the club, no one walking in, no one making their way home on a bender." Jenna hopped up on the aforementioned bar and ran her legs across it lovingly.

"Take a look around, guys. Keep your eyes peeled for anything that might tip a good vampire slayer off to bloodsucker activity. We'll meet back at this bar in an hour for drinks and a lesson on club etiquette. EXTRA CREDIT - a hundred bucks for each carving of J+J inside a heart that you can find on the walls or furniture. Hint: look for places where two people can lay atop each other comfortably. If you know what I mean. Heh."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Were they still capable, my cheeks probably would have flushed a bit, knowing what she meant.

I can't say I'm very used to people being so open about that. Chalk it up to going anti-social in high school, I suppose.

Hm. Skin all scaly like a gator's, she said. Well, he had his severe doubts of it actually being a skin condition, so that had to mean it was a cute metaphor for something else.

Taking my look around as ordered, I continued to puzzle over what this "Scruffy" person could be. Scaly skin made me want to think Kappa, but that was undoubtedly just my heritage talking. Besides, there'd be nothing linking them and needing the blood of vampires. I've heard no stories of Kappa preying on Kyuuketsuki either back in Japan or the States. Maybe I needed to brush up on mythology.

I stopped, eyes bugging as they pierced the dimness of the club with catlike ease. I could understand the wall behind this musty old couch...

"But a ceiling fan?!" I asked incredulously. I shouldn't have even noticed it in the first place, but that didn't stop it from raising way too many questions! How?!

Why?!

F-From the couch?!

Shaking the resulting hypotheticals as to the workings of that from my head, images included, I continued on, picking apart the floor for any tell-tale details I could. Mainly, I was expecting traces of blood, stains that managed to stay unclean or the like. After all, what would be more overtly noticeable than a messy eater?

To be honest, I wasn't sure what other traces we would leave... Maybe some ash lying around from somebody who'd tried their luck against the sun?

Certainly not something on my bucket list.

Edited by Best Gungnir

helo frens

IC: Krystal

Krystal didn't understand much and the inner workings of magic or mutations or whatever the heck caused Trinity's powers. But she did agree that the girl need supervision. 

"You have spent some time with the girl already, seems like you'd be suited for it." She commented to Mikhail. "What of that older girl that was with her, Aella? I've heard she's a bit of a handful." Not to mention the clone of her they'd come across at the HYDRA base they'd raided, it was unsettling. 

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC (Leon)

Leon was more or less running on automatic throughout the whole spiel. He liked to think he was acquiring an immunity after a few dozen stories about Jenna and James and the......things......they'd done across the city. Things he desperately wished he could forget. He would never look at Times Square the same way again. Or the Empire State Building. Or Ellis Island. Or-

Then what she was staying started to register. Oh. This was one of those times when she was actually going to try to teach them something and not, presumably, try to make his mind shut down in horror. That was nice. Also getting to be increasingly rare. She'd been upping her game ever since...the incident.

Hm. Bar served as some sort front for a counterfeiting operation from the sound of it. Fake ID's, social security cards.....Heh. Leon's mouth crooked upwards slightly. Nice to know the criminal element was the same no matter what side of line between live and death you happened to fall down on. Consistency. He'd have to ask about the mafia sometimes. See if old 'Al still happened to be knocking around under an assumed name somewhere. You never knew.

And then she got to the mechanics of the scam. That got Leon's attention. 

What.

What.

He ran the numbers. Even if it was just four wallets a week for two years, heck, two a week.....four hundred and sixteen dead or two hundred and eight. He ran a few more possibilities through his mind...the numbers weren't still weren't pretty. For a business like that to be viable....Leon would be the first to admit he wasn't the best at math. But even if he was off by twenty or ######, fifty, the numbers didn't look any better. And, if the breezy, light tone she used was any indication.....

Jenna, his self-proclaimed foster mom and mentor, didn't have much of an issue with it.

Leon more or less ignored the last part of the lecture, and approached Jenna once the new kid had embarked on Operation: Too Much Information. 

"Uh. Pardon me. But...what the ######?"

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:

"Deep breaths. Everything is fine."

IC:

For most, vents weren't an object of fascination or thought. They ran through the walls and ceilings out of sight, and the most attention anyone paid to them happened when one was being too loud. Or in the summer, when dozens of desperate occupants tried in vain to make theirs colder. Otherwise only builders and architects paid them much mind.

With one exception.

Vents were passages, with exits in almost every room. Not as spacious, but far sturdier, than a sub-ceiling. And few cobwebs, given that air flow kept them clear. You could get in a vent and go anywhere in the Institute, at least as far as the basement; the basement had more security measures in place. Even those, however, could be circumvented with a little effort and DNA shared with the alternate version of yourself. If you wanted to get into the basement. Most people didn't bother anymore. 

The other little known vent fact; junctions and turns could make those passages very wide indeed. It was within one of these, somewhere on the second floor, that her abode resided. And it was on the way to that abode that she was proceeding, pausing only to peer through the occasional exit on the way.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Vampire senses were pretty new.

This far away, I was fairly sure I wasn't normally supposed to hear my fellow "student" confront our teacher.

But I did.

What was that all about? Did he take offense to Jenna's, ah... "insights" into her private life?

I mean, she wasn't blatant about it, despite me agreeing that it was a bit too open of her...

Edited by Best Gungnir

helo frens

IC: Krystal

"As far as I know her double is still in a coma." Krystal noted. 

IC: Shiloh

Shiloh shuffled the deck, cutting it in half before bringing them together and merging them seamlessly. She then stuck her hand in a bag and pulled out a handful of chips. She then began to deal, she didn't stop till there were four piles of five cards each. She looked around the table and sighed. 

The only thing missing was other players. "Wow, I'm really bored." Siri chirped in agreement as the phone sat on the table. "I didn't ask you." 

Edited by Leonard Bones McCoy

IC:

"Wow, Bekah. To the other mole queens you must be, like, Orville Wright. The other moles were content to burrow like plebs in dirt and blankets, but nay! Not you! You looked to the primordial hum of the HVAC unit. You do credit to your species."

With Tali Relo still cross-country, Dallas' bed had never seen less use. Instead, he had spent three weeks worth of nights out. He would leave at late evening, mocking John mercilessly as they walked out to the new car Dallas had bought in the immediate aftermath of New York City. The two dark-haired X-Men would regularly stay out in the streets of Westchester, making conversation, taking numbers, and buying up slice after slice until pizza place after pizza place closed, in which case they would evacuate to the nearest bar to put Dallas' newly-truthful fake ID to the test. His 21st birthday had come along with his car - a birthday present, he said, from Warren Worthington's bank account; in his mind, this didn't qualify as car theft because hey what the do you want outta him he bought the car didn't he - and the ID  minted for him by Alex, was frequently whipped out with aplomb every time Dallas found himself carded. John, given his ferocious lycan stubble, had no such trouble, which made the process of getting bombed much smoother. Around midnight to 1 AM, the two would drive back, with John laughing over some story that neither could ever force out, and Dallas mocking John just as mercilessly as he had upon their departure. It was like clockwork.

But for every night Dallas spent with John, he spent five on Rebekah Fell.

"C'mon, are you gonna get out here or what? This girl from across the river was at the bar the other night, and she suggested this pizza place. I wanna give it a shot. I'm buyiiiing."

IC:

Yaaaaaawn.

Dominik Lord, eyes still closed, reached up and smoothed his flaxen hair with a final yawn. The very action seemed to effectively wake him up; he opened his eyes to the sight of bright lavender sleeping pants and the sounds of very, very deadpan horn honking. So it was still Remus' turn at the wheel of the...Brotherhood mobile headquarters. When he'd asked who in her Rolodex was capable of fielding a bus complete with shower and bunks, with more empty space for cots, Remus had asked him if he ever heard of Rush.

"Hey, Rush," Dominik had laughed. "With Chris Tucker? Jackie Chan? My dad loved that movie."

Remus must have glared him right to sleep. With a small smile, he shook his head. 

Course she did.

Dom stood up and cracked his back as he walked out to the front of the bus. Shiloh was already awake at a fold out table, playing cards with herself; the Brotherhood leader ruffled her hair with the same hand he'd used on his own, and grabbed a button up hoodie slung over a chair with his other. Sliding it on over his bare chest, he sat down beside Remus and gave her an easy smile. Maybe she'd forgotten to--

glare

"Can I get the wheel off your hands?" he asked politely. "Pietro brought me to the Brotherhood as a getaway driver. I drove any kind of vehicle you could name for the Brotherhood since I was a teen."

"Apache attack helicopter."

"Well, I..."

"That was humor."

"...Oh. Heh. So, care to take a break?"

"Have you had any coffee?"

"Nah, I figured I'd let you guys take the pot while it's piping hot and warm some up later."

"Have you had any orange juice?"

"I don't like orange juice."

"Your breakfasts are improperly balanced, then."

"You don't want me at the wheel."

"Perceptive. There is a carton in the glove box. Drink. And button your shirt."

Dom grumbled and slowly buttoned his hoodie.

IC:

Jenna blinked a couple times. Leon had never been that brazen before.

"What's eating you?"

-Tyler

• Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC (Leon Kane)

"One hundred and five dead. Lowballing it. That's what's eating me." Leon crossed his arms, his mouth set in a thin grim line. "Did the math on that 'genius' racket. One wallet a week for two years. If it lasted longer then that.....fifty-two weeks in a year last I checked." His voice was strangely calm, but there was....something different about it. It sounded flat and hard. It was the sort of voice a soldier speaking in the cold logistic might use. Even so, he hesitated, for the briefest of moments before continuing. "That, and the fact you don't seem to have much of a problem with it." He paused again. "Even if you do, seems like...." Another pause, as if he was struggling to put something into comprehensible speech. "There's something a reporter said, when MACE was going down. That even the best of us covered for the worst of us. Seems like I walked into the same ###### here. Not a path I'm keen on walking again."

IC (Remus)

"I'm not seeing any drinking. If you wish to fulfill your duties as a leader, you must properly nourish yourself. When battles comes, a sharp, ready mind is needed." Remus threw Dominik a sidelong glance. "You should also consider increasing your iron intake. I've noticed it's lacking." 

Edited by Havelock Vetinari

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:

Jenna's eyebrows had raised in surprise as he started, but slowly her face had settled into a pale, cold mask totally unlike her earthy Italian features; in the young lines of her face, something resembling the barely-composed look of fury that her older sister had worn flitted briefly. She wrapped both her hands around the edge of the bar and leaned forward, kicking her feet. There were dirt stains on the old Chuck Taylors that matched scuffs on the floor beneath her.

"The first time I came to America in my life," she told her first protege, "it was at war. For itself. Lynae always had a medic...fetish. Loved the way people looked at her like an angel, loved tending the dashing soldiers, loved eating the ones who dared to hurt them...fancied herself one of those prototype Florence Nightingales. Me, I was happy tucking my hair into a cap and banging a drum like an ######. When the battles came, I'd pass the drum off and compel the poor sap I'd shoved it onto to get somewhere safe the first chance he could. I wasn't a fighter, I was the world's first punk. ######, my favorite food was deer at this point. One time, there was this drummer boy, he..." She was getting cloudy-eyed at the very thought.

"...He figured me out pretty quickly - for being a girl, I mean, not for the vampire thing. We ended up in three battles together, and he was just the sweetest kid. Couldn't have been any older than Luke over there. And one day...I didn't think my compulsion worked, so I went looking for him. Instead I found this Hessian, surrounded by a dozen dead guys with his arm half gone at the shoulder, ###### was just devastated by musket balls. I don't know why I walked over to him...I think he was crying for his friend, somewhere on the battlefield. He was looking for someone too, just like me, s-so I walked closer. Vampire blood might have saved him, but I was already distraught and he was bleeding like a pig, so...I killed him. First time I'd ever done it, and it wasn't even worth anything because my... my friend ended up dead anyway. I came back to Lynae in tears and admitted I had killed--"

She broke off as if Leon had interrupted her, and when she looked up, the tears in her eyes were three hundred years old - and they had become angry.

"How the ###### old are you, kid? Twenty five? Thirty? My big sister, the person who was with me from the first night I was a vampire, told me that it was natural to feel good when you killed someone, that the little jolt I felt when that guy stopped calling for help, was natural. For your entire lifespan. How do you reconcile that with feeling like complete dogshit? I spent twenty years in Paris being forced to learn the dumb ###### flute because Lynae asked me to try and find peace with myself...and eventually I did, but I had to snap the flute in half to do it. I ended up realizing that I had been made a vampire, but I could define vampire on my terms. So I started feeding on humans again, against the backdrop of the French Revolution...and I never killed another person. Lotta people never got my lesson, though, and Lynae would just laugh and roll her eyes at me whenever she came back from chowing down on some guy who'd tried squeezing her boob. Even my dad thought I was a softie."

"It took Jaime to change my life. He was a vampire hunter even back then, chasing a favor for some guy he went back with, and when we met I just...felt better. So, so much better. Because I knew suddenly that I could matter in a different kind of way and it would still matter. The love of my life hunts vampires, because he knows there are going to be a lot who go too far - like the ones who helped Scruffy. I know the score, I wouldn't last a year in his shoes. But I knew I still had the personality to help. I...I always liked kids. I liked the looks on their faces when they learned something new or stumbled into ######. Everyone needs a way to spend eternity, I thought...why not teach? Teach them to be better. Teach them to learn the score the easy way. I never had it in me to stop the bad guys face on, Leon. That's your job. You have Jaime in you that way."

When she lifted her arm to smack Leon's cheek twice, she wiped her right eye with a slim, tanned bicep.

"All I could ever do is teach you how to do it."

-Tyler

Edited by Luke Schwarz
  • Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Shiloh tried to suppress it, but a smile cracked on her face as Dominik ruffled her hair. ###### it. She hoped no one else noticed, she didn't have her hat to hide behind at that moment. She didn't mind if Dominik saw her smile but, for anyone else to see would be embarrassing. 

Thankfully no one seemed to notice as Dominik went up to Remus, who was currently driving their mobile headquarters, and started chatting. She had to grin when Remus berated him for not drinking his OJ. 

"Well jeeze Dominik, what kind of leader of the Brotherhood doesn't drink his orange juice? I'm pretty sure I saw Quicksilver drink a glass at least twice." 

Shiloh shrugged innocently. "Hey I'm just looking out for you, in fact I know a certain toaster who can testify that dear old Pietro drank his OJ. Isn't that right Bob?" 

"Absolutely!" The toaster chirped from a nearby shelf. 

"See? it's true. Toasters can't lie." Shiloh beamed.

Shiloh's phone beeped as Siri began to speak. "I do not see how this is relevant to Domino's heal-" Shiloh, in a moment of panic, grabbed her phone and covered the speaker. "Siri be quiet!" She said with a flushed face. 

IC:

"Moles don't burrow in blankets." The HVAC unit replied, sounding unimpressed with the chronokinetic. A moment later the metal vent grate slid out of sight, and Dallas was instead addressing an equally unimpressed looking Rebekah. A look at odds with the fact that she was presently upside down, with her hair hanging down far past where her head ended.

"And I know what 'I'm buying' is code for. It means 'we'll order one pizza and look at our best friend with judgement when she is still hungry'."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:

snap

With one discreet picture of the dark-haired woman in her current position safely snapped, Dallas moved his attention back to the laugh that echoed after his best friend's statement.

"Jesus, you're harsh. I have never looked at you in judgement a day in my life," Dallas assured her with an easy smile. "If it's bothering you, we'll buy two - don't look at me like that - three. And one with bacon. C'mon, I'm practically putty in your ###### hands here, gimme a break."

-Tyler

Edited by Luke Schwarz

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC: "I think someone scratched it out, but here's another..."

I said it mostly to myself, wondering why nobody had thought to simply replace the coffee table instead. At this point, my search for clues as to vampire activity had all but dried up-- in equal parts due to me not being experienced at all, and due to me being distracted but other going-ons in the building.

helo frens

IC:

"You're callin' Dominos at 8 in the morning? While I'm drinking orange juice?" Dominik took a sip of the aforementioned...blegh...and shook his head. Shiloh was beet red with embarrassment. It was pretty funny.

Even more funny when he played it straight instead of needling her about it.

Let her sweat it out a little.

You're a MEAN ONE

Miiiiiister Grinch

-Tyler

• Upvote 1

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

ABORT ABORT, ABANDON SHIP. 

Shiloh bit her tongue, she could think her way out of this, she had to. She didn't get into embarrassing situations, it just didn't happen. She just had to come up with a perfectly logical explanation and tell it calmly. Easy. 

"D-Domino's isn't even open this early..." WAIT ###### NO THAT MAKES IT WORSE. "...S-Siri is just made an error, right Siri?" 

"I don't make er-" Shiloh blocked her phone's speaker again. "Do you want me to replace you with an Android? Huh!?" 

Edited by Leonard Bones McCoy

IC:

Dominik's mouth quirked.

"I don't know if being a terrible wingwoman falls under your phone's warranty."

-Tyler

Edited by Luke Schwarz

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"There have been looks of judgement." A pause, hetero-chromatic eyes shifting and narrowing in thought. A few moments later, she held up three fingers. "On three conditions. One of those pizzas is pepperoni and sausage. I get a drink. And we either get desert there, or stop on the way back."

A fourth finger.

"Also, we go on the Ducati."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"Our definition of crazy includes robotic aliens and dimension hopping, mutants, experiments, memory loss, and psychic powers on a massive scale. We have both routinely come across extraterrestrials, and supernatural terrestrials. One of our friends is undead, the other used to be a werewolf. One of your best friends is a former male lizard turned female cyborg."

Beat.

"I'd rather not make things crazy on any terms."

fK5oqYf.jpg