Jaller's Strike... Ended How?

Shortly after the return of the Matoran to Metru Nui, after the Toa Nuva mysteriously disappeared, Jaller got Takanuva to tell him what little apparently he'd been told -- that the Nuva were going on some important mission. Then he confronted the Turaga, and when they (Dume especially) refused to tell him what was going on (Mata Nui dying, etc.), he got the entire population to go on strike from the repairs to the city ruins, until they would relent and tell everybody what was going on.

When Nokama does tell him at the end of the first Voya Nui book, and the six Matoran who would become Inika, plus Takanuva, leave at the start of the second book, I can't seem to find mention of the answers to two questions:

1) Did Jaller leave word with the other Matoran to end the strike? This one seems implied... and maybe I'll run into the answer later, but might as well ask here if anyone knows (BS01 doesn't seem to say). The book's emphasis seems to be on how the Inika got to Voya Nui, so once they know enough to start on the journey, Metru Nui's troubles seem to have been forgotten (at least at the start of book 2...).

2) Did Jaller pass the news on to the whole population? Or did he agree with Nokama (who told him) that it's best they don't know? In book 1, it seemed to be a major condition of ending the strike, but in book 2, Onewa points out clearly that the Matoran left in the city don't seem to have heard the bad news. What gives? Any thoughts?

I've got a couple of ideas I could go with (this is for my retelling, of course), but for once I'm not confident enough in any of them to just pick one, so I'd like yall's opinions. (I'm leaning toward, Jaller does tell them to start working again, but assures them the Turaga were right not to tell everybody... but it seems hard to justify this... :shrugs:)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Jailer knew that Makuta was going to take over the GSR, so he didn't tell them so that it would fall into disrepair =pHe probably just made something up to get working again, "the toa are out collecting a generator that was stolen long ago. Nothing to see here, go home".

He probably just made something up to get working again, "the toa are out collecting a generator that was stolen long ago. Nothing to see here, go home".

Glad I asked, 'cuz that kind of option didn't occur to me. :P

Still, that would require lying. Are we sure he would feel okay with that? I'm not sure how Matoran usually feel about that. I know that he started out his attempt to find out why the Nuva had disappeared by asking Matoro (as Nuju's translator he usually knew the Turaga's secrets), and Matoro said he could not answer, as he would not lie to a friend. Which could indicate Matoran generally don't like lying... or that they might lie to those they don't consider close friends etc. :shrugs:

Edit: Oh, and Jaller did mention in his ultimatum to the Turaga that the Matoran did not deserve to be lied to.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Bonesii's asking a question? :o

The subject is never returned to in the story, probably because Greg just used the whole thing to make Jaller seem like a tough guy and forgot about it entirely once he got the Inika team on the move. The Matoran are not panicking in the city though, so that implies they never knew of Mata Nui's dying. It's entirely possible that the strike did go on during the whole Inika thing, because we didn't get to peek into Metru Nui at all after Jaller and co. left. And after Matoro saved the world, everyone started working again cause Jaller came back.

Fishers makes a good point in saying that the Matoran are clearly rejoicing Mata Nui's revival at the end of 2007. However, just moments ago before that, Mata Nui had actually died which means that the stars and the suns must've gone dark and a general atmosphere of doom must've spread quickly. Even if the Matoran didn't know of Mata Nui's condition until then, the events caused by his death must've made them realize it at that point. And naturally, when the stars started shining again, the Matoran would know that something glorious had happened.

Summary:

- I think the strike didn't end before the Inika returned to Metru Nui as Mahri (if we must assume that the strike ended, it's possible Jaller just commanded them to start working while he was going to do awesome things. In that case I doubt he told the truth to his friends, which makes him quite a duplicitous person. But remember that all of the Inika did go through a personality change during their adventures, from innocent to less so)

- The Matoran could've learned of Mata Nui's demise as it happened. They didn't need to know before that.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

I guess, thinking it over again, although I said it seems implied they started working, maybe not -- because Dume probably would have mentioned that if they had. He says that someone betrayed the secrecy, and Onewa says, "no, everybody's acting normal." [Edit: Okay, this is my paraphrase. :P] I guess if "normal" is "on strike but oblivious to the danger" then "now they all started working" wouldn't fit this. :shrugs:

Maybe Jaller just felt the news was so urgent they just had to leave immediately and there was just no time to worry about the strike or informing the others? When he made it a condition of ending the strike, he probably wasn't imagining such a huge emergency as the secret.

Still... seems odd to me that the strike would go on all the way until the Toa Mahri minus Matoro come... Hm. And then, I wonder what the Matoran would think when Jaller went missing just like he'd objected to the Nuva going missing. :P Maybe just get so upset as to keep striking all that time... or maybe decide, "it was his strike and he's gone... so let's work." >_>

Edited by bonesiii

Well, it was Jaller who insisted on the strike. The others may not have felt it that important to know where the Nuva were. But Jaller had authority thanks to being a captain of the guard and herald of the seventh Toa and a zombie so the others listened to him. I'd imagine his orders would be heeded even after he left himself.

There should've been a book of another group of Matoran searching for Jaller's group. :P

There should've been a book of another group of Matoran searching for Jaller's group. :P

I sense awesome comedy potential. :P

Anywho, yeah, I guess they would follow his orders.

I'll hold out for more opinions before I decide though. :) One thing that did occur to me is that it does say that Takanuva was one that asked him to end it, and he did have to return. Maybe when he got back he pulled rank (including zombie rank :P) and it ended then? And maybe even he could have informed them of the truth then, so this would be after Onewa's statement, along the lines of fishers' point... *shrugs yet again*

Notice what Onewa actually says here though:

"Now, wait" said Onewa, Turaga of Stone. "How do you even know anything was revealed? I hear no shouting in the streets, no wailing that the end is coming. Believe me, in my time, I have come to know the sounds of panic, and there are none to be heard."

That just means that the Matoran aren't panicking. It's possible that Jaller briefed the Matoran on what was going on, announced his grand plan in a "who's-with-me" style thing, and told the Matoran to put their faith in him or whatever. He was the Mighty Captain of the Guard. :P

Also, we have Hahli the Great Motivational Speaker from MoL in Jaller's group - I'm sure that she could have convinced them. :P

And listen to Nokama here:

"Yes" Nokama replied, with more than a hint of defiance in her voice. "We are facing the possible end of the universe. The Matoran - our friends - have a right to know why they are going to die.But I never imagined Jaller would try to act on what I had shared with him."

That implies that N would have told the Matoran anyway, even without Jaller's help.

Ah, I forgot about Takanuva completely! And he only returned after the Turaga realized he and Jaller's group was gone, so it makes sense...

Takanuva probably told the Turaga about what had happened, even if just because he was always bad at keeping secrets (and "I won't tell ya" would seem disrespectful towards the Turaga anyway). Then he might have told the other Matoran "Jaller and his friends are just on a small trip, but he told me to tell you to stop slacking off."

Maybe he even revealed to them that Mata Nui was dying. There could've been panic then, but we just didn't see it cause we were busy focusing on the Inika.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

Such a simple answer. The Turaga blocked off all escape from Metru Nui and hosted a sort of competition where the only means of escape was a successful mutual killing where the true culprit's identity is unknown to the rest of their peers.

Truthfully, though, I think it may have gone something like this:

Nokama: Yeah, so Mata Nui's dying and you're all up Karzahni river without your Kanohi masks (oh wait that's not until later, nevermind).

Jaller: Why, this is so important that it puts the Matoran strike into an insignificant part of the plot! After all, there's no sense in fixing the city if we're all doomed. What's important is to round up a small amount of beings with no powers of their own and save our super-powered companions who are royally tied up and imprisoned without their Kanohi (oh wait I don't know that yet nevermind) and best whatever unknown perils that even they could not escape (but, you know, we have good on our side, so let's do this. MATORAAAAN JALLER!)

Basically, the news itself was so huge that Jaller thought there to be a larger sense of urgency to help the Nuva than to worry about fixing a supposedly doomed city. By saving Mata Nui, they would have saved Metru Nui. The city itself waited thousands of years, so it could probably wait another year or so until it got repaired.

Edit: Although, as for when the strike itself ended... It would probably have been later after Mata Nui was saved. The Turaga probably would have told them the truth when there was no threat of panic. That would've been around... the 2008 story arc?

Edited by Tekulo the WindWriter

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I'd think that the second option (best if the Matoran aren't told) was more likely... and after some time the Matoran would just go back to working, with no formal end to the strike, but a gradual dissipation.

EDIT: And what Tekulo said.

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Without its leaders, the strike probably fell apart on its own. Anyways, the "work" was to rebuild Metru Nui. There's only so long you can sit on a pile of rubble.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Well, it seems we have a sort of consensus that the Inika-to-be left immediately and that's it (for that moment anyways)... Except:

Notice what Onewa actually says here though:

"Now, wait" said Onewa, Turaga of Stone. "How do you even know anything was revealed? I hear no shouting in the streets, no wailing that the end is coming. Believe me, in my time, I have come to know the sounds of panic, and there are none to be heard."

That just means that the Matoran aren't panicking. It's possible that Jaller briefed the Matoran on what was going on, announced his grand plan in a "who's-with-me" style thing, and told the Matoran to put their faith in him or whatever. He was the Mighty Captain of the Guard. :P

Also, we have Hahli the Great Motivational Speaker from MoL in Jaller's group - I'm sure that she could have convinced them. :P

And listen to Nokama here:

"Yes" Nokama replied, with more than a hint of defiance in her voice. "We are facing the possible end of the universe. The Matoran - our friends - have a right to know why they are going to die.But I never imagined Jaller would try to act on what I had shared with him."

That implies that N would have told the Matoran anyway, even without Jaller's help.

But if Jaller did tell the Matoran, the strike would be ended, and I'd think one of the Turaga would have noticed. Dume knew enough about what the Matoran were doing to know already that Jaller and company plus Takanuva were nowhere to be found. So it sounds like the strike didn't end yet... :shrugs:

And Nokama probably assumed Jaller would go tell the other Matoran, so did not (at least at this point) do it herself. After Dume's scolding, she probably wouldn't. I'm thinking it comes down to Takanuva returning, at the very earliest. Either that or Mata Nui's revival make sense to me... but earlier would be better to explain the city being repaired enough for the awakening soon after the revival.

I think I know how I'll handle it now -- Jaller will try to leave immediately, someone will spot him leaving, and he'll tell them to end the strike, but decides not to tell them why, because he fears others may try to follow, and be less prepared. In my story, I have him earlier say that only six would go help the Nuva (before he knows what for). So I guess I'll have him refuse to tell the person who sees him going. Whether they actually end the strike or not, then, I could leave ambiguous, for now... and decide later if I wanna bother pinning it down one way or the other. :P It could be implied, then, that the others were flustered by Jaller now doing just what he criticized the Turaga for doing, keeping them in the dark, and they keep the strike going, and maybe gradually it ends like some of you said.

If nothing else, feels more interesting character-wise 'cuz I'd have Jaller doing something he doesn't even approve of and feeling forced into it. :P

Aww scrap...looks like this has already been resolved >< :/

Although still ambiguous in parts, we can discern everyone (almost certainly IMO) knew about the situation Mata Nui was in when the Mahri returned. So it's really when they found out that's the issue...

Edited by NuvaTube