Official BBC Contest #66: Brains!

Tufi Piyufi

Official BBC Contest #66: Brains!A BZPower/BioniLUG production

The brain is a pretty important organ. You keep most of your best ideas in there, it weighs your skull down so it doesn't float off into space, and it's a magic "most embarrassing moments of your life" playback machine. In return, all it asks for is an unceasing supply of oxygen and the ability to just totally make stuff up to throw you off. It's not the worst trade.This month, it's all about brains. Build something brain-related: for example, an actual brain, a zombie (love them some brains, they do), a brain-controlling parasite, you name it. It just has to relate to brains in some way.And why, exactly, are brains our theme? Because Lego has generously donated several of the Hero Factory Brain Attack accessory packs for us to give away! Each finalist will get one of the polybag sets, but that's not all: the first ten BioniLUG members who enter will get one just for showing up. BioniLUG memberships are available for purchase in the Store, and come with a whole bunch of goodies and benefits.So go on! Use your brain in the name of brains!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Entries begin being accepted as soon as this topic is posted, and will stop being accepted on Thursday, November 21st at 11:59 P.M. EST. We will accept unlimited entries for this contest, so there's no need to rush your entry. To enter, simply post a link to your .jpg or .gif entry picture in this topic. Your entry post in this thread should appear as follows:Entry Name:Entry Pic URL:Topic URL (if applicable):------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A running tally of entrants will be updated daily IN A SEPARATE PINNED TOPIC, which will be posted shortly after the first entries are received.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Voting Process:Preliminary Voting begins November 23rd and ends November 26th at 11:59 P.M. EST.Final Voting begins November 26th and ends November 28th at 11:59 P.M. EST.The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on November 28th.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rules:1) Your entry may not have been published prior to the start of this contest. You may make your own topic before posting in the official entry thread, but you must create a post in the entry topic before it is closed in order to be officially entered. If, after posting your entry anywhere on BZP but before officially entering it (including the blogs), you modify it and then enter it, you will be disqualified. You may only start one topic for your entry. Please post only one main pic in this entry thread and a link to the rest of the pics in the gallery on your image host (most likely Brickshelf, Photobucket, or Flickr). You can do pictures as normal in your own separate thread. If you need help posting pictures, please see this topic.2) Don't PM the contest host unless you have to. Ask questions in this topic and the host or an assistant will answer it.3) Painted parts are NOT ALLOWED. No non-LEGO parts. All other LEGO parts are fair game; however, for the most part, they should be Bionicle pieces and Technic pieces. Let's say, at least 75% of the MOC Bionicle/Technic parts. Pictures in which the appearance of the MOC has been edited in Photoshop or other editing software are also prohibited. If either method is used, the MOC will be disqualified. The background may be edited, as long as it does not alter the appearance of the MOC.4) Only one entry per member. You cannot switch or modify models mid contest. Once you have entered, you may not "un-enter" your models and enter new or modified ones in their stead. You may opt to bow out of the contest for whatever reason but you cannot reenter under such a situation. If you get disqualified for any reason, you will not be allowed to reenter with another MOC in that contest.5) Any flaming will result in disqualification from the contest. Competition is good if you keep it clean. Everyone play fair, NO WHINING, no insults. I reserve the right to DQ any entry at any time for any reason.6) Absolutely, positively NO CHEATING! Anyone found to be cheating or even suspected of cheating will face immediate disqualification from this contest and will be banned from participating in future contests. They will likely also be banned from the site. Mods know this information, so you're not fooling anyone but yourself by thinking you can get away with it. We run a check on people with multiple accounts too, which is an offense that results in banning from BZP entirely, aside from the contest... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.7) No "this is unfair" posting. Some people have more parts, money, time, birds, gigs left on your hard drive, etc than others. That's life; we each have to do our best with what we have. Any excessive complaining may, at the judgment of the contest runner, disqualify you!8) Discussion is encouraged. Feel free to ask questions about models you see or about the contest in general. This is for us, the BBC builders; let's have some fun with it.9) The contest is open to all BZP members, and voting is open to all BZP members to participate in even if they did not enter an MOC. "Advertising" your MOC is fine by making a signature or avatar reminding people to vote for you, but mass-PMing is frowned upon and will just get you disqualified. Advertising your MOC in someone else's thread is also a major no-no. Spamming may result in proto loss or even post-count reductions, so don't do it.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Prizes:First place will receive 44013 Aquagon and 70200 CHI Laval. Second place will receive 44012 EVO and 70201 CHI Eris. Third place will receive 44008 SURGE. All finalists will receive a 40084 Accessory Pack.The first ten BioniLUG members to enter will each receive a 40084 Accessory Pack.Big thanks to Kevin Hinkle and Lego for the prizes!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Contest Hosts:Tufi PiyufiBlack SixWell, what are you waiting for? Get building already!

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Does the brain have to be biological?

If you want to get all Asimovian and make a positronic brain or similar mechanical construct, that's fine. Just remember it has to be clearly brain-related. So a robotic brain could work, but just building a robot would not. Additionally, building a computer and calling it a robotic brain wouldn't be in the spirit of the theme either.If you have a specific example you don't want to share, drop Tufi and I a PM.

Ah, a BBC contest comes along and reminds me I left all my Lego at home when I came to Uni. Hopefully there'll be another contest at Christmas when parts are more accessible.

Looks like a good theme at least, should be some interesting entries here, if none from me. Lots of room for variation. Strange sci-fi brain stuff, and at the same time horrific zombie-toran. Looking forward to it.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Do Kraata and Krana count as brains, since that's how they've been described as in Bionicle and the community (oh, as well as taking over the brains of Matoran/Toa/Turaga/etc.)?

Just including a Krana or Kraata wouldn't count - you could take any MOC and tack one on. If it was something already brain-related, like a zombie, that happened to be eating a Kraata or if you use a Krana as a face on another brain-related creation, that's okay. Also, if you built a scaled up Krana or Kraata out of parts that would be cool.If you use Krana and Kraata to make Krang and put it in his exo-suit, you win my stamp of approval (note that has nothing to do with winning the contest).

Do Kraata and Krana count as brains, since that's how they've been described as in Bionicle and the community (oh, as well as taking over the brains of Matoran/Toa/Turaga/etc.)?

Just including a Krana or Kraata wouldn't count - you could take any MOC and tack one on. If it was something already brain-related, like a zombie, that happened to be eating a Kraata or if you use a Krana as a face on another brain-related creation, that's okay. Also, if you built a scaled up Krana or Kraata out of parts that would be cool.If you use Krana and Kraata to make Krang and put it in his exo-suit, you win my stamp of approval (note that has nothing to do with winning the contest).

Oh, sorry, I should have specified, I did mean a scaled-up version. :P

If that's the black brain poly bag, then I'll be putting some serious effort into my creation. Now do we need to actually construct said brain? Or we can we use existing pieces that are brain shaped (i.e. the main body of black phantom's arachnix)?

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Now do we need to actually construct said brain? Or we can we use existing pieces that are brain shaped (i.e. the main body of black phantom's arachnix)?

Don't take my response as accurate since I'm not a judge... but I'd think that either way is fine as long as it effectively represents a brain in some way.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Now do we need to actually construct said brain? Or we can we use existing pieces that are brain shaped (i.e. the main body of black phantom's arachnix)?

Don't take my response as accurate since I'm not a judge... but I'd think that either way is fine as long as it effectively represents a brain in some way.

MOCs don't have to have brains. For example, you could build a zombie since they eat brains, a brain controlling parasite (Yerks, anyone?), or a brain control gun. You could build a character with a really big brain.I guess in short, yes you could use a single piece to represent a brain, as long as there's more you your MOC.

What exactly qualifies as a finalist? Never really have followed this whole bbc thing so not sure what counts on this?

Also at first i was thinking the title was a reference to Voltaire's song Brains!

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

What exactly qualifies as a finalist? Never really have followed this whole bbc thing so not sure what counts on this? Also at first i was thinking the title was a reference to Voltaire's song Brains!

Those are the people whose entries make it to the final round of voting.

What exactly qualifies as a finalist? Never really have followed this whole bbc thing so not sure what counts on this? Also at first i was thinking the title was a reference to Voltaire's song Brains!

Those are the people whose entries make it to the final round of voting.

Ah ok.. well thank you Tufi

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

It sounds like a good theme and it is cool that Kevin Hinkle helps BZPower with prizes. Unfortunately I won't have time to enter.

When you say Bionicle/Technic does the include Herofactory parts?

Absolutely.

Sad.

How? Some of us don't have a cache of bionicle parts that aren't broken but we have plenty of HF parts. So tell me, how is it "sad"?

Anywho, my entry is nearly complete. Torso and legs are done, just need to find a way to attach the legs so they don't flop all over.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

When you say Bionicle/Technic does the include Herofactory parts?

Absolutely.

Sad.

Yeah, I agree with Manterax- why? It's a constraction line just like Bionicle, so the parts are perfectly acceptable to use in a BBCC...

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Hero factory is not Bionicle, it should only be allowed in SBC. If you don't have Bionicle parts you should not enter a BBCC.

While I don't know if this is the place for this discussion (it might be a better idea to start a separate topic), Hero Factory can be allowed for a couple of reasons. The first is that, like Bionicle, Hero Factory is a sort of sub-theme of Technic, just like Slizers/Throwbots and Roboriders. If we were to follow as you suggest, then those two themes couldn't be used either, which, from what I've witnessed from you, you would probably be against. Therefore, Hero Factory, as a sub-theme of Technic, can be allowed. Also, Hero Factory, like many Bionicle sets, are ball-joint based, albeit more so than Bionicle, but that is still no reason to reject Hero Factory.

Edited by Zorrakh

Hero factory is not Bionicle, it should only be allowed in SBC. If you don't have Bionicle parts you should not enter a BBCC.

Hero Factory is counted with Bionicle and Technic, and this is not going to change. The contest topic is not the place for debate about the legitimacy of Hero Factory. This stops now.

Could you use bricks and plates?

Yes, but those would count as System.

'Twas not my intention to spark a debate, Tufi, I assure you. I just wanted to know why he thought that.

So, apologies for inadvertently starting one.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Done!

Name: White Lotus

Pic: Right Here

Thread: Here

Edited by Manterax Prime

sailor_moon_banner.jpg