BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC: Zafin

"I believe you," Zafin reassuringly said. She sighed and shook her head. "Yeah, no, I don't fully trust you, but Yumiwa sees something of worth in you and, despite my feelings, I stand by what my mistress feels. I'm not here as her handmaiden, I'm here as myself, an Umbraline noble, and offer my kindness when I failed to do so before."

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Rambles  - 

"I'm used to people not trusting me. I would not feel too surprised if the Empress didn't truly trust me, though it's not entirely like anyone on this ship has much reason to. Of course I'd like to earn it, and... I'd like to be useful in some fashion. Granted, in my... whole, kind of... life choices and everything, this... well, I guess you can call it a journey? I walked a lot. After I came to terms with how I feel, wanting to solidify that... once I realized that, well, maybe there is a future for me..." Vwynolyn sighed loudly, resting her chin on her knees a moment. "And that, since there might be an after to everything happening now, I probably should work on my people skills some. Instead of, y'know, getting irrationally angry at people in bars when they insult me, or use... male terms with me, and starting a fight where... well, I sometimes win. Three out of six ended up with me stabbed and somehow I managed to live through that." Another long sigh. 

"I'd like to figure out how to earn trust, make friends, prove that I have some kind of worth as an individual and am not just... some two-faced Fursic with a political agenda. Or not just... someone who can't hold any sense of loyalty, because that's not true. I do feel loyalty. Maybe it's... different, but... I feel loyalty to those who treat me well, and I feel distrust towards those who see me as a disposable tool. It doesn't seem too messed up to me, but... two people have called me the 'antithesis' of Order, so... I don't know." 

She rambled a bit for lack of stopping herself, not really caring if Zafin replied or chose to walk away; though she was trying to figure out a way to ask for some kind of help. 

"You do have to admit that you are an 'other,'" Zafin said, than caught her train of thought and stopped it. With a little difficulty owed to her cloak, she sat down beside Vwynolyn, facing the reverse direction. 

"Hm. I've been around Yumiwa since she was a young princess and know so much about her mannerisms and wants and needs, I don't really know much about other people. She and her household have been my world. I never had to prove my worth to anyone, it was just always there for me. I guess I realize my people skills should be worked on, too.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Not Good at Making Friends -

"It's incredibly lonely, to be an 'other' where there's no... 'others,'" Vwynolyn commented, though she listened to the rest Zafin had to say. "I can't say I really blame you. Compared to that, my overall upbringing is... kinda opposite. And I incurred enough punishments to fill a book, enough lectures to write a series. I'm in this strange state of being... simultaneously the unluckiest, yet somehow the luckiest." She mumbled the last softly, eyes still watching the water from the deck, not having the thought to face the same direction as Zafin. 

"But... well, I guess it's sorta odd to me that we both have something in common, in terms of people skills. I won't insult you by suggesting maybe we have more in common than that, but... I suppose, if you want to talk or something, or ask me questions, or what have you, I'm open to it. I'd like to... to become less of an 'other' in people's eyes, which is... kind of what this whole... petition thing was about. Part of me thought, maybe, if I got legal recognition that I'd be taken seriously, that... that people wouldn't immediately think I'm some... dangerous liar or... or whatever. That maybe people would come to respect me, or give me a chance." 

"I don't think it's all that simple," Zafin lamented. "Legally it would help, but there's more to your case than that. You're a Dasaka, you know what we are like and what we believe in—what you have to muck your way through. Yumiwa's support alone cannot help you with everything, you have to do things on your own as well.

"Yumiwa values the virtue of Power the most because it pushes her to be the best she can be. I value Honor, as it helps me focus on my mistress' and clan's needs. The captain probably values Order, for obvious reasons. All in sight of Zuto Nui have something that guides us forward. Which Virtue drives you in your heart?"

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Philosophy - 

Quietly she nodded to Zafin's first statement, knowing that the onus was on herself for a lot of the overall work she had to do in order to find a place amongst people who would otherwise prefer to keep her at more than arm's length. As for virtues, Vwyn found herself looking up towards the dark sky, eyes looking at the distant stars. It took her a few moments to think them through, comparing and contrasting her own actions, thoughts, beliefs against each one. Order was out almost immediately, and Honor a close second. 

"Probably Power. To make myself better, stronger, to make myself useful in some manner. It's more... centric around the self, and the others... almost feel like they can't apply to me. But I don't want to get stronger to just... cause problems or anything. I want to, so I can help. I want to strengthen my mind so I don't fall into so many pitfalls of anger, depression, or... anything else. So I can make better decisions and work through things before impulsively doing things. I don't want to be a liability, but I also don't have a place. And I feel I'd maybe, perhaps, be able to find a place through bettering myself. A place I'd be happy with, passionate about. A place I could be where... I don't feel like it's... settling, or feel like it's... fake, or I don't deserve it." She rubbed the back of her neck as she spoke, not having talked much of how the virtues themselves applied to her, or how she felt they did. 

"One day, I'd like it if I could say I can abide by Honor. To do well by others, to bring honor to... whomever I'd be serving at that point. Granted, I doubt I'll ever have a second chance with my own clan... not that they're terribly liked in general, but... y'know, kinda where I was born. And I want to say... I want to say that, that maybe I won't always be considered the 'antithesis' of Order. It feels... bad, to be called that. But I can't argue with the assessment." She paused, biting her lip a moment before she leaned back slightly, letting some tension drop from her. 

"I know I'm an 'other'. I'm separate from everyone else, I'm the unluckiest in that somehow I managed to be born as... as... as a son, when I feel intrinsically like that's not right. Like I'm some weird accident, like the wrong soul found the wrong body, or that I was a mistake. Then I think about a lot of things. I should've died well over five times by now, but somehow I never did. Close, I'll admit. Sometimes it feels like maybe there's something about... me, this whole... ordeal that's consumed my life, that's for some reason worth keeping around by whatever celestial beings want me around." Vwynolyn didn't want to directly refer to the Goddess there, preferring to keep it a little more vague-ish than that as she did not quite wish to spark a religious debate. "If I was an accident, a mistake, something inherently wrong... I feel as if, all those times I pretty much cheated death, I would not have. Fate wouldn't allow it." A part of her felt maybe it was a little presumptuous on her part to make such assertions and state such thoughts on the intentions of beings beyond her own comprehension, but it felt like it made sense to her. At least insofar as her surviving for so long, and getting this far with odds that likely shouldn't be within the realm of possibility. 

"Sorry, that's... all probably silly. It helps to look at it that way, sometimes. Makes me feel a little better, if nothing else." Another heavy sigh came from her, her cheeks a little red. 

OOC: Zafin is now an official character because I couldn't abide with myself for making such a recurring NPC. Also, with the indefinite absence of Hanako, Yumi needed a new handmaiden. There's a link in my signature to my profiles for anyone to check it out.

The handmaiden leaned her head back against the ship railing and exhaled slowly. "I don't think you're wrong. Maybe the Goddess is working through you, has a plan, ascribed a fate to you. It does seem like someone has been watching over you. That would explain a great deal, wouldn't it? Nobody here has the answers, but a priestess of Zuto Nui can derive spiritual wisdom and a scholar of law can shed legal light.

"But, of course, those are just the learned perceptions of others around you; what you present yourself as is still up to you. And as far as I care, I hope you do find fulfillment and purpose in life. There are many ways to give reverence to Zuto Nui."

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Rambling - 

After a moment she looked over to Zafin, biting her lower lip a little bit as she tended to do when nervous or in thought. "Thanks, for those words," Vwynolyn stated softly, "I know others will always have an initial, learned perception of myself. It's why I asked, at dinner, if at first glance I appeared as a woman. I don't know if I was told the truth, or told what I wanted to hear, but... if I look as such outwardly, to where people would think that initially, it would take a load off my own shoulders. Not just with feeling comfortable existing in public space, wearing the clothes I want and... everything. People wouldn't ask me those... questions, immediately at least. People might be more inclined to talk to me equitably. Kinda... get to learn I'm a person first, and maybe it'd make it easier for some to... accept how I wish to be when they realize I'm just a Dasaka under it all. A person who doesn't mean to cause any harm, or any problems, who just... wants to live... happily, comfortably maybe. Maybe even one day find someone. That's sort of the goal I have, I suppose. Not the 'finding someone' part necessarily, but the 'happy and comfortable' part."  She sighed a bit, appearing a bit sheepish all of a sudden. 

"Sorry I... I keep rambling like that. It's nice to talk to someone, is all. Rather than sorta just lying in bed talking to myself to try and... figure things out, I guess." Her hand rubbed the back of her neck again, feeling as if she might be annoying Zafin whenever she kept talking, as a part of the Fursic daughter seemed to think that Zafin likely lacked the enjoyment from the conversation Vwyn felt. 

"Rambling is fine," the handmaiden. "As is wanting happiness."

She let that thought settle for both of them. Sitting and just talking with as little bias as possible she could appreciate Vwynolyn as a person for the first time. It could almost be called a new connection, and the first one she'd undertaken with a person outside the royal household in a very long time. It wasn't her duty to understand other's needs, but it was refreshing to know what life is like for someone outside the bubble Zafin occupied.

Looking over at her new acquaintance, she took note of a more pressing physical need. "Vwynolyn!—look at you, you're shivering! You should go inside."

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; The Cold (Never) Bothered Me Anyway - 

The Dasaka bit her lip with a soft blush on her cheeks, not having noticed she'd been shivering this entire time. Half the time she rarely noticed physical discomfort for herself when her mind was elsewhere, thinking of other things, so when she was made aware she could only say "oh." 

"Uh, thanks," She replied after a moment, pushing herself back from the guard railing so she could stand up, hands holding down the hem of her dress once again. "Again I... I-I wanted to say, I really appreciated... you talking with me. It felt nice, at least, and... I mean, if you need a favor or want to talk again on your own accord, I mean... f-feel free to ask me if, if you'd want." Vwynolyn wasn't too sure how that sounded, more as she wasn't entirely sure if Zafin liked her better for the conversation they had, but she felt like she could hope that maybe someone on the ship didn't have her on their "avoid" list. "B-But yeah, I'm um, g-gonna go to my room a-and stuff, so," awkwardly she gave a small wave, starting to head off, realizing she was much colder than she thought she was and wanting to be somewhere warm for a while. 

IC: Yumiwa

I was feeling tired by then and dismissed myself to my cabin shortly thereafter. My room was... small, compared to what I was used to having, but retained the same minimalistic niceness of the rest of the ship. The captain had eagerly suggested I take up her cabin for the purpose of the trip, but I said otherwise—it was only for a couple night's rest and there was no reason to move things around just for me to have a bit more wiggle room.

Funny, I thought. A scant year prior and I would have insisted on only the most spacious and comfortable accommodations, but then I was content to have a private place to sleep. The open porthole seeped chilly air into my cabin and blended it with the sultry air within. I liked it. Zafin had placed some fragrances around the cabin to make it soothing, and truly, I felt cozy. Dropping my garments to the floor, I wasted no time in crawling into the bed and blinking out.

In my dreams, we are still together.

The Fursics stay their place, the Dastana remain loyal to the Crown, and the only blood flowing on Sado is in the veins of every Dasaka working and playing and living.

Living.

Not at war, but at peace.

"Whether you see it... or not, we are... at war, Yumi." My venerable uncle, Rayuke, declared in council. The riots were in full effect, violence in the Palace for the first time in centuries, and my uncle's speech was slow and deliberate as ever, counseling me to be both swift and patient.

How could I accomplish such a thing? I wanted to quash the riots, end the violence and proclaim peace, but Rayuke saw through such a thin play. It would have been a lie, a small bandage on a gushing wound that needed stitches and pressure to have any hope of stemming, and alcohol to ward off infection that would set all too soon if not.

"Power alone will not help... in this. You are the Rora, you... must be mindful of all the Virtues.

Wars were contrary to Order, it seemed. They fed off of unrest and flared up with senselessness. Wars too even the most disciplined of clans and make them bloodthirsty warriors with a cause. And yet, they gave a sense of Honor to their participants, a heady purpose that drove them to fight. Power was their weapon, Honor their reason, Order their enemy.

The Virtues were always in flux, I determined. 

"Yes."

It was up to me to ensure a balance between them. A wise sovereign needed to be the example of Zuto Nui's principles to all Dasaka. I could not employ a single Virtue to combat another; this was not a two sided battle of wills, it was a round, balanced on a ball, and keeping it aright was tantamount to magic.

"But that's my job."

"You may make a fine rora yet," Rayuke commended, the slightest hint of a pleased smile crossing his face. 

Zafin woke me with a little chime. It was just after dawn, and the watch had sighted Oki's shores. 

It was time to get ready.

IC: 

- Vwyn - 

Rest came easy, after a time. 

Retiring to her room, chilled to the bone and shivering long after; Vwynolyn found herself wrapped tightly under the blankets and covers provided to try and warm herself up. With one pillow under her head, another atop her bare chest under the blankets with arms wrapped around it tightly, her eyes stared for a long time at the ceiling before they eventually closed and gave into a warm rest. 

What are you?

A voice came amidst a nighttime blackness; Vwyn standing precariously on a rocky ledge that overlooked both sky and ocean. With how the two met on the horizon, they seemed to form an endless void both up and down. Only a frigid, stiff breeze blew past to toss around her old cloak that remained riddled with stains and tears: some stains were from liquor, some from grass and dirt, others with blood that now left a rusted orange. All from her fights, from her traveling: her history. 

For a time she remained silent, burning pink eyes glaring out from the cowl of her cloak as her head tilted downwards. Dark, black waves splashed up along the jagged rocks that lined the bottom of the cliff, but it brought little sense of fear. Standing there, she felt a strange feeling of emptiness that mirrored the void-esque vision before her. 

"Complicated," she muttered in quiet response to the disembodied voice carried by the sharp wind. In her years there hadn't been a soul to confide in, to speak with for help, or as a friend. 

Details.

As the voice came again, Vwyn bit onto her bottom lip. Time passed and as she thought, she only bit harder, her teeth cutting into the flesh. 

"I am Vwynolyn, a Fursic by birth and an honorless wanderer by choice. A daughter no one wanted, a troublemaker everyone distrusted or despised. An archer, a Sighteye, a warrior. A writer, a bad dancer and a worse singer," a sigh slipped from her mouth, cold fingers moving up to wipe the welled blood off her lip, flicking it out over the edge. "Someone with a lot of regrets, a lot of anger, a lot of sadness. Who wants to be rid of those vices, to become a someone that reflects who I am. That reflects what I can be." Slowly she picked up her head, eyes staring at the featureless black sky in her mind's eye. 

Vwynolyn, the "Antithesis" of Order. 

The response made her shake her head, eyes closing as her face tilted back downwards, fingers gripping tight to where her cloak clasped tight about her tall, slender frame. "I don't like that." She whispered quietly, the phrase was one that caused her a sense of pain and shame since the first time it was uttered towards her. "I'm not virtuous now, I admit. I don't have a clan I feel I belong to, and I feel lost... confused, scared. If I could... just be myself, I wouldn't be an antithesis of anything. I'd just be me, just be... maybe not the common Dasaka, but at least someone with those common desires. Someone who could keep to the virtues themselves." A pause, a sharp breath; she looked up once more. 

"I wish I could be different in this life. I wish I could have felt safe, happy, contented with home. I wish I could have felt welcomed and respected by my family, my clan. I had promise, potential. An excellent shot, refined by further training. An excellent Sighteye, refined by further training. Maybe not the finest with words, maybe not the finest with not day dreaming. But it's not like those things mattered. How could I continue to excel in an environment that slowly turned against me?" Slowly she found herself sitting down on the rocky precipice, holding her head in her hands. "How could I continue to grow, to become stronger, to become a better person, a better clan member, a better presence... when I cannot feel safe, and I'm doing little more than living what I believe is a lie? But a lie everyone around me believes so fully, so truly, that when I state the truth it's disregarded. And I'm disregarded. Would me upholding Order, in that case, only shunt away Power, and possibly even Honor?" A long sigh fell from her, body trembling lightly as various memories flooded back to her. 

"It would be more a disservice to the virtues themselves had I forced myself to be otherwise. Perhaps not Order, but there's more than just Order. And if I have to be considered some... some virtue-less heathen, just so I can get myself to a point where I could honor them all, then... then so be it." A wet heat dripped down her soft cheeks, fingers moving again to wipe away the salty tears, "I hate crying." 

The voice did not come back for a further statement, or another word on the matter. 

Suddenly, Vwynolyn felt chilled, huddling closer under her cloak, fingers brushing along the familiar crystalline re-curve bow she had for years now. She missed how it felt. Familiar, calming. A sense of security and safety. 

Her ears twitched as a loud snap filled the air behind her. In a moment of trained response, muscles taking over and moving without thought commanding them to do so, she stood and spun around on the spot in a swift, deft manner. Before her the crystalline bow, the Peacemaker, was drawn in her hand, the other already had an arrow nocked and pulled back full string. 

From the sharp, quick movements her heavy, scarred cloak lost its grip and blew off her with a gust, flapping out and disappearing off the edge of the cliff into the endless void below. 

Vwyn ignored that, focusing her eyes on the danger of the present. 

Crimson eyes burned in every creature she stared at: they resembled wolves, ravenous, hungry, growling and clawing at the dirt. Their jet black fur blended into the backdrop of trees and forest and starless sky, Vwyn's only indication of position and number being the deep, red eyes staring at her. 

The largest, easily twice her own size, let out a snarl before it leapt into the air; white fangs stained with a deep amaranth. 

Resigned to fight, her fingers let go of the long, needle-like crystal arrow. 

Vwynolyn woke with a sharp gasp, eyes wide open and heart pounding in her chest. Cold sweat covered her body, dripping off her chin and making the pile of blankets over herself damp. Panting heavily, she raised a trembling hand to wipe the sweat off her face. "Nn... huh?" She mumbled, feeling something sticky on her bottom lip before she pulled her hand away, her lip bleeding from the moment she bit it. At least, when she dreamed of that, she must've actually done it. 

Staring for a few moments as she collected her thoughts and self, she shook her head slowly. "I wasn't mumbling in my sleep, was I?" She asked herself, there not being anyone present to confirm or deny the question. 

Still shaking, her eyes looked out the small porthole to gauge the time. Not long before dawn; not a time where she was to be picked up from her room yet. 

Climbing out of the bed, not caring about modesty -- whoever opened the door with a knock would simply have to deal with it, in her opinion -- she walked herself over to the small table. Finding something to write with, she sat down and flipped her diary open until she could find clear pages. "I'm running out of space," she commented to herself, before slowly starting to draw the scene from her dream. 

It calmed her, to focus on the line-work instead of the thoughts in her head, or the vivid pictures they painted when she slept. 

"Wonder if... I'll have a different thing to wear," she mumbled aloud, unsure if it'd be the wisest to have to wear the same dress again, more as she did not want to learn of some stain on it from dinner and then mistakenly present herself in a poor manner whenever the ship would make it to Oki. The thought also served to distract her. 

"I miss my bow.

Oki glowed like a polished emerald in the morning sunlight. The most ecologically diverse of my islands, it was home to dozens of creatures and plants that could otherwise only be found conserved in the Palace gardens, and by far the most beautiful of the major islands. Fiercely protective of its cultural significance and largely untouched by outside influences, Oki's many small clans were able to either evade or shrug off many of the conflicts that boiled over in the rest of the archipelago—both despite and because of my clan's foothold on the island and the military presence that went along with it.

For millennia, Clan Umbraline's official home turf was the whole of Sado and where we grew our bountiful branches and leaves, but our roots were firmlly planted in the small estate governed from a castle on Oki. Before becoming the imperial clan we were unremarkable among our neighbors, except that we were the most studious between them. Since then, while we filled Sado with our kin and sent members of our clan to all corners of the empire as diplomats and scholars, life in the estate remained largely unchanged.

It was a curious thing: The most significant differences that developed over the years were the expansion of our castle to include a college of law and diplomacy and overhaul in the defenses every now and then. Aside from that, everything was as placid and quiet as it always had been. That casual indifference to life outside of libraries was what propelled us to the throne in the first place, history said; by being so well learned and neutral, the Umbraline toroshu (and the clan she represented) was given the responsibility to rule. And so we have ever since, adhering to the principles of conservatism and tradition.

Mom was toroshu there before becoming rora, and her sister, who inherited the clan after her, never really left the castle. My visits were sparse since my duties as chōjo mandated my upbringing on Sado and in the court, but I always liked to roam the rustic halls and open spaces of the castle and gardens whenever Mom had a state visit or took me along to see my aunt. I always felt touched by a sense of... timelessness in the grounds. 

I wondered that infectious and melancholic sensation stayed with my mother and caused her to remain so impassive in the face of mounting pressures and changes in the empire. I wondered if I could trace the sudden events of recent history to previous events hidden in the library. I wondered if there was a way to conserve the realm and balance virtuousness throughout. 

I wondered if my aunt could shed light on my mom. 

I wondered if she would treat me as family.

I wondered...

The captain's voice startled me. I hadn't heard her approach. "Your Majesty, we'll be docking in an hour," she said.

I breathed my thanks to her and then refocused my eyes at the growing landmass. It was warm and green but gave off little light of its own. What secrets do you hold for me? ... I wondered.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Awkward Moments - 

For a long while, well into the sunlit morning, Vwynolyn continued to sit quietly at the small table drawing. As far as artistry went, her drawn dream scene came out more vivid and descriptive than she would have thought within her own abilities. Depicting herself standing on the precipice of that cliff from her nightmare, the ornately detailed Peacemaker between her hands with an arrow drawn as the vague, black shape of a massive wolf leapt into the air. Some of the words she remembered were written here and there; "What are You" and "Antithesis of Order" the two more prominent phrases, both floating above the scene with some of her own recollections written down below the scene in her neat, small, curvaceous script. When finished, she sat back and stared at the pages for a long time; lost in thought and not yet peering out the porthole again: to her it felt as if only minutes passed by, so engrossed she'd been with this calming product of self-care. 

After a moment her mind snapped back to the present: cold, not sweaty anymore, but the feeling of morning began to sit with her. Standing up and rubbing at her face and eyes with a hand, she looked around the room briefly and sighed happily. At least a pitcher filled with water was provided, Vwynolyn not noticing it until now as she hadn't felt thirsty or in need for a face washing. Walking over to it, she picked up the large, glass container in both of her hands and thirstily drank out of it. 

Rivulets of water dripped down from her chapped lips, but since she wasn't wearing anything, there was little discomfort or care about that. When she finished drinking, panting after a moment and wiping off her mouth with a forearm she looked at the third of the water remaining. The thought to poor it over her head came to mind, though cleaning up the spillage on the floor would require her to use the blankets and she wasn't quite in the mood to end up on someone's bad side. Instead she dipped her hands down into it, leaning her face over the top and splashing the cool liquid against her face, washing the nighttime drowsiness away along with the uncomfortable sensation of dried sweat. 

Right as she finished, a loud knock came at her door and momentarily she glanced over to the porthole to once more try and gauge the time. "Oh," she mumbled to herself, surprised to see the sun already up and casting small shadows about the room. As the door started to open she had half a mind to try and say "Wait!" but by the time the thought to do so came to her, it was already open and a steward stood there with a bundle of items. 

Almost as surprised as Vwynolyn, the steward lost her train of thought a moment: not expecting to see the six foot tall Dasaka standing with a dripping wet face and a mostly empty pitcher in front of her. Not to mention the immodesty

"... Hi," Vwynolyn broke the good ten second silence, giving a small, awkward wave with her hand. "I'm not that impressive, what is, uh, that you have?" She asked, staying put as the red-faced steward walked in and deposited the bundle of things on the bed -- the largest space available that wasn't the floor. 

Clearing her throat, closing her eyes a moment to clear her head, the steward looked back up and answered the question and then some. "Your armor, your weapon, some other options for clothing befitting the climate. Paired with a wake-up call, we're arriving soon and the Empress is above."

Lightly Vwyn nodded, ignoring the fact the steward had eyes on her as she walked over to the bed to look at the options presented. "I take it wearing something heavy, designed for protection, is going to be uncomfortable," she mumbled softly after a moment, putting the parts of her armor off to the side for the time being. Besides, on this island, Vwynolyn doubted she would be in much a position to need it. Ideally, at least.

"Thanks, by the way, little scatter minded. You don't need to stay in here since I can tell I'm making you uncomfortable, but, to be fair, I lost track of time." The Dasaka did not look up to the steward, eyes focused on her current set of options.

"That's all I came to tell you, and all I came to give you. So if you know the way up a small amount of stairs I'm confident you can find your way, then?" Vwynolyn only nodded, attention focused on the clothes her hands fingered through curiously. With that the steward turned and quickly left the room, shutting the door quickly. 

"Wish there'd been a sign I could've put on it that said 'not modest, enter at your own peril,'" she mumbled. Luckily there weren't too many red clothes, otherwise she would have gone in her armor instead despite the discomfort. Of course, there were some pieces, likely small jabs from the person picking things out to remind her that she was a Fursic, but Vwynolyn ignored the intended comment. "Blacks and blues. Lots of grey, at least... less than fifty shades of it thank the Goddess; well... not wearing the black," she muttered to herself, aware the color of her own armor bordered on appearing black to most, despite it simply a deep, dark blue. She assumed the blue and grey colors were more provided as they were simple base colors, blue was a shared commonality amongst Dasaka and grey was simply neutral in its scheme. 

"So, dark blue skirt," she mumbled as she set that to the side in the "probably going to wear" pile, flicking matching undergarments over. "Problem with black. It goes well with everything, but I can't abide by the meaning. Would rather go without leggings or stockings than with," she mumbled, setting black colored garments and red colored garments into the "nice try" pile. Tilting her head a little, she did find a pair of dark grey leggings and nodded her head as she put those on top of the long skirt. "Now... what for tops..." 

The skirt and leggings, Vwyn felt, would feel comfortable and breathe well in the environment. Not something too thick, or too contained that could build up heat and make her sweat too easily. She did not want it all too casual, however; though the options made it rather hard to make something a bit nicer. "So... dark grey shirt, which is..." she held it up to her own torso, judging its length, "long enough. But... is that too much dark grey," Vwyn looked over at the pile she set up in thought. Eventually she nodded quietly and put it on top.

Picking up a long, blue ruffled sweater, that wrapped to close around the torso she thought a moment. "Oh, wait... it's a bit... nnn... I mean, I guess it could look nice on me?" She held it up for a moment in thought, the darker color something Vwyn felt might help make her shoulders look a little less pronounced. "... this'll be okay." 

Putting aside her outfit and moving the rest of what she did not want to the side, the Dasaka began to dress herself. 

It did not take long for her, much shorter than her decision making process, but after she was done she stood up and looked over herself. The skirt was almost dress-like with the length; it fell down past her knees and stopped above her ankles, the dark grey leggings covered, though she wanted them on as Vwyn did have a small sense of self consciousness about her legs. With how the skirt sat around her waist, tighter at the top and flowing outwards slightly, it gave her normally slim frame a decent, hour glass shape that worked with the rest of what she picked out. 

The shirt felt a bit tight around her, Vwyn figured it purposeful; the bra she had on was luckily more on the thick, padded side of the fence which gave her more of a chest that seemed to work well with the way the shirt wanted to fit on her. With how thin the shirt felt, she still figured she would need the last piece of clothing to wear out; a matching blue to her skirt, the ruffled wrap sweater. In her eyes, it looked lovely. And while technically a sweater, the material felt barely thicker than a thin blanket at best, and the way it was made allowed for it to appear whole and breathe comfortably. 

Slipping that on last, fixing everything so it lined up, wrinkles were smoothed out, Vwynolyn looked over herself again. The shape the outfit gave her outlined, and created a nice series of curves she felt helped her appear far more womanly than the dress earlier did. Her face already had a softer, feminine appearance to it and as she saw what she could of her reflection in the window she smiled broadly. "Okay, well... well the people on the ship might not since they all know of me, but... maybe people on the island will just refer to me as a woman to begin with, looking like this?" She asked herself, hoping for that outcome as the times when it did happen, it always cheered her up.

Eventually, her eyes fell onto her bow and quiver lying on the bed: the weapon in as great condition as it was the day she received it, as it was one of her most prized and cared for possessions. "... I suppose, maybe I could grab these. Worst case I'm told to put them back, best case I get to keep them on my person just so I feel comfortable knowing where they are. Well... okay, worst case it's seen as an affront and Lady Zafin stabs me, but I don't think these would be here if I wasn't allowed? At least for a bit." Slowly she walked back over to the bed and grabbed both, the quiver itself attached on a belt that could be shifted for wear around the waist, or slung over her back. Since she figured on her back might be a tad cumbersome and the particular quiver she had was smaller in design, she chose to clasp it around her waist for now. 

Her bow had a sling that went with it, matching the black color of the belt that she clipped on, thinking it best if she had her hands free and could simply have it on her back. If nothing else, she felt it would be nice to have the tools of her training and class. "If they tell me to give them up, that's fine. But I missed this, and Peacemaker's... comfortable and familiar," she mumbled softly, perhaps a bit worried it might be too presumptuous of her to actually wear the  weapon out. 

After she finished dressing, fixing up her appearance and straightening her presentation, Vwynolyn slipped her feet into a pair of dark blue flats that matched her skirt and top. Some shoes provided had heels, but Vwyn did not like the thought of wearing heels and walking, potentially, for a while in them. Hurting her feet was not something she wanted to do. 

Shyly she walked out of her assigned room, making the now familiar walk back up onto the decks. Still tense and nervous someone would yell at her for the impulsive want to have her bow with her, though she supposed that would come sooner than later and was an easy enough thing to remedy to warrant the risk. Quietly she walked up the stairs, taking in a long breath of fresh air as she appeared on the deck once again; rejuvenated, happier in mien with a light bounce to her step as she walked along, keeping an eye out for the Empress as she felt Yumiwa would want to know where she was before they docked. 

The hour passed slowly, but eventually we arrived. No launches were needful there; since our small harbor was in a deep cove the Yukanna was able to drift all the way up to the dock with ease. I leaned over the balustrade and watched with curious interest as the sailors on both ship and pier moved with fluid purpose to moor the great warship in place and then set the gangwalk into place. Most of the crew were eager for a shore leave on the Umbraline estate. The short voyage hadn't suffered their stamina in the slightest and opportunities to visit Oki intimately were rare for them, I learned, so the captain acquiesced to their requests and permitted them to come ashore as well, minus a handful who would tend to the Yukanna's needs and protection. 

I regally took the first place descending the ramp, followed by Zafin and my two Eiyu guards and then the rabble respectfully behind them. The cove was quiet, save the gentle knocking of the Yukanna's bumpers on the pier, knocking of heels on the wooden wharf, and the gurgle of water beneath it, lending an air of solemnity to the occasion that bordered on dirge. My anxieties were not being assuaged by this in the least.

A delegation of house servants, headed by a distant cousin I vaguely remembered, awaited us on the the shore and bowed low as I approached and collectively bid a welcoming hail of, "Your Majesty the Rora." I merely gestured them to rise. "On behalf of Toroshu Yutang of the Umbralines, we welcome you to Oki and offer her hospitality to you and your company."

"I accept your lady's patronage. Pray, where is my aunt?" I asked, knowing full well she would not meet me on the shore. She was too proud for that, nevermind that she was slightly younger and just as spry as my mother had been in life.

"She readily awaits you at the castle, Your Majesty," my cousin said, beckoning us to follow her to the estate proper.

The path up the hill to the castle was simple and natural, a far cry from the paved walkways with glittering lights we had at the Palace. Simple stone, polished smooth from years of use, switched gently from side to side, and small crystal totems dotted the way occasionally. By no means did that trail belie that it led to the ancestral home of the imperial family of the Kentoku Archipelago. 

And so, I ambled a couple paces behind my cousin and the heralding servants, a faint emptiness growing in my stomach with each statue we passed. 

Edited by EmperorWhenua

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Standing in the Procession -

She wished there were some more options presented to her back in the room, for attire. Letting out a soft sigh as she thought of that the tall, lithe Dasaka found herself walking with the group behind the Empress. Vwynolyn hadn't wanted to stick out, or have questions thrown her way on the onset of stepping back onto land, so she only made effort to try and blend in. Of course, she kept quiet for now since there weren't all too many things she felt like talking about even with those directly around and adjacent to her. All she wanted to do was think, think and focus on her part of this whole thing. 

The Priestesses are supposed to look over me, she thought with a worried frown, but that doesn't necessarily exclude anyone who happens to find me interesting. I don't know if they'll ask me anything in that process, or want me to explain myself. I'm just hoping they don't think this is all for some kind of political ploy, or some kind of desire to cause unwanted unrest and unease. It's not like I'm still... well, with my clan I suppose. But they might not consider that: it didn't seem like many thought I was here on my own accord. And then the legal stuff, and I don't know much about the details and intricacies of legality and law. Wasn't something I really studied. This is all so nerve wracking, I can feel knots in my stomach and at this point I just hope I don't end up losing my breakfast.

Pausing her thoughts for a moment, she looked up towards the sky. Bright, with the encroaching sensation of a heavy, humid heat. Humidity paired with higher temperatures were not her favorite climates, Vwynolyn often preferred cold and cloudy days with ample rain and harsh wind. With the skirt, the material was still thin enough to move easily and without feeling overheated. At least, she felt, sweating from walking even in this heat wasn't a commonality for her. Unless she chose to wear her armor, she quite happy she chose not to as water had not been something she thought to find a container to bring with. 

"I hope this goes well," she mumbled softly to herself, eyes peering straight ahead. 

• 2 weeks later...

Zafin was an odd choice for a handmaiden to the empress. The Umbralines as a rule were politicians, so most of their major decisions were driven by reasons beyond simple appearances. When Zafin, who was of noble birth as a cousin several-times-removed from the royal line, proved too headstrong and energetic to be in the diplomatic or scholastic corps, she was made a diplomatic tool nonetheless. If she had been anyone less, she wouldn't have been chosen as a lady in waiting to the then-chōjo. 

And so, her career began. The imperial household became her new family, their tediums her doldrums, their anxieties her stressors. She wasn't as favored as Hanako was, but there was a sufficient difference in their roles that it made sense; Hanako was a Herupa and being a counselor and guardian was exactly her purpose, while Zafin had to grow into the position like a crustacean filling its shell. And grew she did—and naturally.

She and her lady had a few things in common besides a clan name: Zafin worked hard for her accomplishments, separated herself from the status quo, and had an impulsive personality spurred by a strong sense of self. While she was picked for the household by Rora Yusanora, it was Yumiwa who chose to make Zafin a close friend, and Zafin who chose to refine and bring Honor to herself as a devoted handmaiden.

And with circumstances as they were, Zafin was the closest person to the empress. She, who would normally have been put to totally different uses, who took a weakness and made it a valued asset, who could understand that Zuto Nui's will sometimes wasn't what anyone expected. When her impulsiveness was in check she could evaluate a larger scope of things. She wasn't a diplomat from lack of wisdom, just lack of tact.

Switching her focus for an instant, she spared a glance back at the procession and saw Vwynolyn a few steps behind the twin Imperial Guards. .:They'll take your hankyū at the castle gate,:. she messaged to her. .:Just a heads up.:.

IC:

- Vwynolyn; Idea Talk on the Walk - 

For a long while she zoned out. Feet moving in procession with everyone else, the hotter temperature in the air, it felt hard for her to stay completely focused on what felt like absolutely nothing but walking. Long, dull, walking. It felt nice, at least, to have her bow on her person although she could feel a few others around were a bit less enthusiastic about her choice to take it with. After all, not too many seemed to trust her too much, if at all. Honestly, she felt happy neither of the Imperial Guards too issue with her, or Yumiwa, or her handmaiden. At least, not issue to immediately have her return the weapon back to her room. It wasn't for want of using it, but it always brought a sense of personal safety and comfort to her. Knowledge that if something out of the ordinary happened, or if someone chose to confront her, she had a means to defend herself. 

Her deep, pink colored eyes shot up when her mind was touched by Zafin, to say the few words to prompt her for that eventuality. For a moment she seemed a bit back out of possible daydreams, her fingers wiping themselves along her dress. 

"I... yes, that makes sense. I presume... I would receive it on my way back?" She asked the second question as, frankly, she felt uncertain if they would want to give it back to her, or if one of the Imperial Guards present with them would prefer to take charge of it on the way back. After all, she wasn't here in the position of a warrior, a guard, or a soldier. That possibility wouldn't surprise her, although a part of her would feel a bit sad to be away from her weapon. Similar to how a younger child might be unhappy if their favorite toy was taken from them, though with less risk of a tantrum. 

.:Probably,:. she thought-replied. .:But security in the castle is as tight as in the Palace.:. The Umbralines were fielrcely protective of their leaders, and with the assassination of Yusanora's assassination and the murder of Toroshu Dastana Yomiken by an Umbraline renegade, homicide was a sore subject for the clan. Even with three Imperial Guards on the grounds, they were taking no chances; anyone not authorized to bear arms by Toroshu Yutang or Rora Yumiwa would be relived of them. That basically meant everyone except Zafin and the twin retainers. 

IC:

- Vwynolyn; Sad, but Fair - 

Vwynolyn sighed visibly, one of her hands rubbing along the back of her neck as she did not seem too overjoyed by the news. "That's... fair," she responded in ideatalk, appearing to wish the case would be otherwise. "Perhaps it's poor of myself to take comfort having my weapon, but I understand the reasoning," she added, intending to assert that she was more than wiling to comply, even if it made her a bit uncomfortable ultimately. Of all the things she had on her, the weapon and her own mask were the two physical constants for her. It still seemed clear Vwynolyn held some latent fears about this overall meeting, more in that the day would only grow more uncomfortable for her as it went on. 

The handmaiden adjusted her pace to match Yumiwa's again, almost fumbling a step with her divided attention. Once she found Order and fell back into place, she reached out again. .:I don't know if it's any comfort to you, but I'll be with you for most of the day.:. 

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Blame the Heat - 

Not expecting a response, Vwynolyn's attention perked up again from the new reply. Her face turned a shade redder, unused to anyone wanting to be in her presence for a prolonged time, she blamed internally. "I... I appreciate that," she commented back, "Hopefully that won't end up a bother, since I doubt many here would have any enthusiasm about something like that," she meant the last to be a bit joking, though there was likely more truth to the statement than she would have liked. A part of Vwynolyn took that to mean she'd end up around Yumiwa most of the time, as she figured Zafin would stick glued to the Empress' side. Not that she could blame that: it made sense, and fell in line with Zafin's own duties and Vwynolyn doubted her the type to wander away from that actual, physical position willingly. To Vwynolyn, the woman seemed too dutiful for that, in a way Vwynolyn found herself respecting. 

.:You won't with me.:. Vwynolyn could hear Zafin's polite chuckle in her head. .:I spent my childhood here, I know the area and the people—and I know you. Who better to guide you to the chapel and college?:. She had neglected to mention that bit to Vwynolyn, though she did let loose that she was a noble. 

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Well Then - 

"Oh, I wasn't aware," Vwynolyn responded after a moment, it taking a moment for her to realize Zafin was actually a noble, although a part of her felt it improper to treat her without that respect initially considering her station. "But I'm glad, and I appreciate it, at the very least I know I won't end up lost or somehow manage to find my way stuck somewhere," she half thought to make a joke of finding herself in some restricted area, though with the context of everything, she felt that one would be a bad thing to even mention in a passing joke remark. "It's quite hot here, different from... well, my own childhood," she added, her eyes wandering about the scenery, Vwynolyn admittedly more comfortable in colder climates, the woman only glad she wasn't sweating up a storm in her outfit. 

.:I've never been to Kozu. Is it chilly there?:. Zafin asked. Most of her life had been spent on Oki and Sado—warmth was never in short supply, in temperature or, she realized, in companionship. .:Or did you... mean something more by that?:.

IC

-Vwynolyn: Still Not Over Square 1 - 

"Physically it can be cold sometimes, not quite as... humid, here. At least from what I remember," Vwyn started in response, biting her lip a little bit as, while she initially purely meant places of her childhood, coldness in other forms often came for her in those days. "And... a, a bit, yes. There was a period when things weren't as rough, but... for the most part, take your initial reaction to what I had to say and am, and multiply it. Without any sort of... protection." Even walking amongst the others, she shifted a little bit, visibly pained from some of the memories that came to mind as her eyes looked off to the side. A part of her unsure if it was so wise to share so much, mostly as she did not quite think Zafin a friend, not for desire to not be, but Vwynolyn figured the woman not quite one to make and retain friendships judging by the way they initially met, at least. 

.:If it drove you to take up the life you had on Sado, I can believe that,:. Zafin thought-replied. .:Tell me, out of your way of life on Sado, what gave you joy? pleasure? What made it better?:. 

Edited by EmperorWhenua

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Happy Thoughts - 

"Hm," Vwynolyn made the sound aloud as she thought for a moment, wondering quite what she enjoyed the most during her time. "To be honest, there aren't a lot of things. Aside from the happiness I felt anytime someone referred to me as a woman without prompting, or insult, which in and of itself was... rare, I suppose I liked some people I came across. Usually one's I'd do... call them favors, for. There's a large amount of disrespectful sorts, but... there were always a few who treated me well. Used the terms I wanted, made me feel comfortable, gave me compliments and sometimes offered food, or a prolonged stay in a bed, a way to clean myself, too. I think those were the better things. Most of what I take pleasure in comes in the form of writing, or archery itself. Sometimes drinking, but I developed a problem with that." She sighed audibly, her face a bit red with some of the things she could recount, eyes shifting to the side a bit. "But... that makes me kind of curious, what sorts of things do you enjoy to do, yourself?" 

The handmaiden frowned. Her words were quicker than her thoughts again; an irony since the conversation was in thought. She swallowed and tried to correct herself. .:I'm sorry. What I meant to ask was more... what gave your life purpose in Sado that you didn't have in Kozu?:.

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; idk lol - 

To that inquiry, there was an uncharacteristically long silence from Vwynolyn. For a long, few moments her eyes shifted down to the ground, staring at it for a bit until she let out an audible sigh. "To be honest," she started quietly, "it didn't provide me with much purpose. I still feel like I lack that. Purpose, direction, meaning," her mental words paused for a moment, "Kozu didn't let me be who I am. So, even there, I felt like I lacked a real purpose. As if I was... a fake, taking on a purpose that was not mine. I don't know if that makes sense to you. And in Sado, it felt... purposeless, directionless, though I was at least happier that I felt things were a little more on my terms from time to time." She paused again, running her fingers over the back of her neck as she thought. "I still feel that way. When I leave here, no matter what's said and done, I'm not sure what I'd do. There's things I want to learn, and do, but finding someone willing to teach me much of anything will be hard. Especially without any money, or, enough to pay for the trouble of dealing with someone like me." 

She rubbed her fingers over her bicep in a shy gesture, not so honest about that worry before. 

She has no plan, Zafin thought, this time to herself. She felt... aghast. For an instant. And then calmed down. Of course she has no plan, she mused, she never had the chance to make one. Everything about Vwynolyn was by the seat of her pants skirts. Zafin had no idea what life would be like for someone who did not have their basic needs met but she guessed it would look somewhat like Vwynolyn's life. 

She filed those thoughts away and opted to offer her insights to the priestesses when the time came, should she even be asked. 

.:It does, a little,:. she thought-replied at last. .:But we don't know what will be said and done here. Not even Yumiwa.:. 

IC: 

- Vwynolyn; Hopes n Dreams - 

"I... I just hope what happens here, I hope it's good. I don't... really know what I'll do with myself if it doesn't go well," she commented mentally as her hand rubbed the back of her neck, her mien falling a bit as she let out a long sigh. "Well... I guess, either way, I'd end up out of both of your hair," she added, feeling as if Zafin would be happy for that. Granted, to Vwynolyn, the woman didn't seem terribly warm to her, even if Vwyn found herself enjoying the times when they conversed. 

• 2 weeks later...

IC: 

Zafin glanced back again just in time to see Vwynolyn scratch the back of her neck in a typical nervous body gesture and, she she noted that as a peice of trivia that may or may not be good to know, but she said nothing, choosing instead to simply let the silence, mental as it was, speak its volumes. She was, after all, not a diplomat and that showed in a lot of what she did. It was one of her many faults, and though she did want to remedy it it was a harder learning curve than anyone liked.

Yumiwa, on the other hand, walked with poise and dignity, and Zafin wondered what she was thinking in that moment. She would have mentally reached out to ask how her lady was feeling, or otherwise check in, but could not raise the nerves to do so. Yumi looked to be in a sort of trancelike state as she led the procession after the castle's servants, and Zafin knew better than to interrupt the empress when she was in any state of concentration. Perhaps she was thinking about childhood scampers in the surrounding wood, or first words to her aunt after years of snubbed communiques, or maybe even about the Fursic outcast at their backs. Yumi had been more emotionally fraught than normal on the cruise to Oki, after all, and any considerations she had had the possibility of being of historic consequence and difficulty, particularly given the Umbraline's propensity to make earth-moving decisions. 

It just made Zafin admire her lady more as she followed close at her heels.

I hope they serve sausage and muffins for breakfast, Yumiwa thought thirstily.

• 5 months later...

IC: Jiyu

Months after Jiyu's conversation with Shuuan, a good deal of rumors had spread across the archipelago. Some native to Oki known for exaggerated truths swore by their mothers that they saw Clan Herupa tear their ancestral home down and turn it into a massive boat to take them to Mata Nui. Some merchants had claimed that they oversaw a transaction that delivered quantities of high-quality weapons to the Herupa, who also claimed that they saw Vilda extremists working with the Herupa to spring their Toroshu in an act of rebellion. Others said, particularly those close to members of Clan Herupa heard murmurings that the Herupa Toroshu was dead- her immediate successor refused the position, and now the clan elders had appointed First Son Jiyu as Jito, steward, in the absence of the other Herupa heir. Some members of the Herupa even insinuated that the Rora herself had sent the other heir away to Mata Nui on purpose, as part of some grand scheme.

The reality behind these rumors was that the Jito of Clan Herupa was having the clan's ancestral manor renovated. Under Herupa Jiyu's close supervision, the home was remodeled and refurbished- with an exception of a small, minor study that had been completely removed from the manor. The clan elders had called it a sorely needed update, also voicing their approval to Jiyu's plan of bulking up the defenses to the Herupa compound in general. Thicker walls, improved gates, and most conspicuously, space for weapons. Should the clan have to defend itself, of course. Everything took a little more than five months to complete, all the while Jiyu had become worried at the news from the mainland.

Clan Herupa couriers then found their way to the gates of the homes of the Toroshu (and the imperial palace) not long after construction finished. A letter of invitation, for each of the Toroshu and the Empress to a banquet hosted by the Herupa. Valid for the head of each clans (or an appropriate representative) and a guest of their choosing. Most notably, all clans on both sides, Imperial or Dastana, received an invitation. With the exclusion of clan Vilda. As clan Herupa had previously announced their neutrality, considering how they provided advisers and bodyguards for both sides, it was expected that all would come in peace. With the banquet in one month from the invitation's arrival, it would be more than enough time for the Toroshu to respond- and for Jiyu to prepare.

OOC: Who would like a little party?

• 1 month later...

"Your aunt is taking a while," Zafin whispered.

My poise remained stately, but I replied in turn. "Right? It's like she has other things going on or something."

"Like what, classes?" I gave her a side eye then. "You have a college here, after all. So it's possible. That's all."

Glare level: Intensified.*

* I will probably laugh about this later—worse if it's true.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

• 2 months later...

[sado, Aristocratic Quarter (Yukie/Morie)]

Plangori Yukie found meetings with his mother uncomfortable.  Not exactly stressful, the way his younger siblings did, or unbearable (the way Shuuan did).  But uncomfortable.  

This was partly due to his own ambition, he knew.  Had he not set his sights on gaining his mother’s favor, he would not have dressed the way he did, foregoing the armor that he usually wore that molded his shape in a way that comforted him, trading his coat for one slightly more flowing, in line with what was fashionable for a young Sado noblewoman.

He tried his best to play the daughter, the practical daughter, the daughter Morie wanted.   The daughter she thought he was.  These small moments of uncomfort would be worth it, he knew, if his mother designated him heir.  Even Akiyo, for all her cunning, wouldn’t go against the word of their mother.

His mother sat, as was her custom, on her knees hands folded in her lap.  It had always looked a bit strange on her.  His mother had never had the soft beauty of his sister, and her stiff back made her look more like a soldier standing to attention than a lady attending her business.

“You may sit,” she said.   His mother liked formalities, but not in excess or involving other people saying too much.   He bowed slightly before kneeling opposite her, hands on his lap and eyes respectfully downcast.   He left the tea that the servant had brought untouched, waiting for his mother to take a sip.  (That, he fell sure, was going to take a while.)

“So,” she said.     “I have heard that there was quite a ruckus at the docks today.   Do you care to explain exactly what happened and the reasons for your own actions?”

Only the finger of his left hand twitched slightly in his lap as he looked steadily back at her.  He knew what she probably wanted an explanation for, but it would come across as snide to mention it right out.

“I am sure my mother is aware of the escape and recapture of Vilda Relisai.  It is my belief that someone attempted to pin the escape on Dastana Arsix, but she was unaware and unwilling to go along with the act.  Neither was her brother.  I think if myself and Eiyu had not intervened Dastana Jasik might have killed her.”

“And how do you know this wasn’t an act?” she fired back, nearly cutting Yukie off.    “A clever ploy to absolve both siblings of all suspicion and cast the blame on a conveniently unknown assailant?  A good way for the ‘wronged’ siblings to continue deepening their hold over the Empire while under the guise of playing gracious rulers of their little play kingdom.”

“I had considered that,” Yukie said, after pausing just long enough to make sure that his mother had stopped.   “However, it seems over-complicated in at least one way.   Jasik had been absolved of blame for the Empress’s murder by the Imperial Executioner.  It seems unlikely that another dramatic event so soon would further improve his situation.  I suspect it would make it worse.  Additionally, unless my honored mother doubts the loyalties of the Imperial Executioner--”

“I do not.”   He had risked something, bringing that up.  At least his mother seemed annoyed at the general situation more than at him.   “Nor,” she continued.  “Do I doubt the capabilities of his mask.  The kanohi rhode accounts for subtleties.  No, Dastana Jasik did not land the blow that killed the Empress, nor was he the one who arranged for her death.”

But who did?

The question hung in the air even though Morie did not speak it.   Yukie decided to leave it for later.

“Vilda Relisai might not have presented much of a threat, had she escaped.   However, if she remains a captive she might be the best lead we have to who broke her out.  Relisai is very...vocal about her preferences and loyalties.  It seems logical to reason that she might let something slip eventually.  Furthermore, the Empire needs to show its strength right now.   Any perceived lack of stability could upset the situation.”

He took slow, deep breath.   Now he had to explain himself.  “That is why I chose to offer money for assistance in recapturing Vilda Relisai.”

He waited for his mother to respond.   Any further excuses would probably just make her angry.  

After what seemed like an eternity, Plangori Morie took a very small sip from her cup of tea and spoke.  “I am not concerned with how much you could have spent on willing swords so much as the impulsive nature of your actions.   These are all very good reasons you put forth, but I doubt you were considering them at the time.   If you had, you would have also considered that the Imperial Navy was not far off and such actions were unnecessary.”

Yukie nodded, his eyes fixating on his mother’s hands as he endeavored not to say anything during the lecture.   It was hard, when each movement or word he spoke seemed like a total on a ledger she kept in her head.   

“These are troubling times, daughter.   It was a couple of foolish Umbraline hotheads who made this situation worse, and the appearance of rashness in a situation like this sends a message.  It tells our enemies--whoever they may be--that we are unprepared for any surprise attacks they may make.”

Replying to her criticism, however, would only increase the amount of red on that ledger.

“It tells the commonfolk of these islands that we stand disunited, that we fumble in handling basic situations and need to rely on chance.   We need to maintain what order we have now.   That means thinking about how all our actions are seen, as well as their immediate consequences.”

After waiting sufficient time to make sure his mother had really finished, Yukie spoke again, keeping his gaze down.   “Honored mother, I regret my recklessness and will seek to be more discerning in my decisions in the future.”

A barely audible puff of air indicated that Morie had judge his level of contrition sufficient.   He raised his eyes again.

“There is another reason I called you here, daughter.   I need confirmation on something I have been contemplating for a long while.”

She took another sip of tea, but her gaze never left Yukie’s.   Her eyes were the same color as his own, but they were steel, never silver.

“Is it possible the Fursics are involved in the Empress’s murder?”

Silence hung between them.   It was one thing to consider the possibility--the idea that one of the most powerful clans in the archipelago had, once again, set its sights on bringing down the crown.  It was quite another, however, to speak that possibility into being.

“Yes,” Yukie said.

Morie’s nod would have been missed by anyone not looking for it.

“Why?”

Yukie shifted his gaze to over his mother’s shoulder, a picture of contemplation.

“If I may make a suggestion, honored mother.   Please correct me if I make an error.”

“Understood--go on.”

“We have operated so far under the assumption that the Fursics think as practically as we do.   Under that assumption, what motivation would they have to kill the Empress?   Soon,  their first son would have been married to the empress-to-be and they would have been in a position to influence the crown in ways they never had before.   Why expend useless energy on a scheme that has a minimal chance of succeeding?”

“But--that is assuming that they, primarily Toroshu Nera, are operating strictly on logic.   But clan disputes--at least the kind that lead to murder, are predicated on lack of logic.   The Fursics have a long history of failed uprising, and I do not think it is presumptuous to say that history could spur a twisted sense of Honor.   My honored mother knows their minds better than I do.”

Morie inclined her head again, taking a significantly larger drink of tea.  “Toroshu Nerah enjoys dramatics.  She is rather like your younger sister Shuuan in that way.   Killing the Empress at a party is certainly in line with her...methods.   But that is hardly enough of a suspicion to rest anything on.   Especially with the risk involved.”

Another ledger, then.   Except this time with less to lose and more to gain, perhaps.   He couldn’t count on the “less to lose” part.

“It is true that killing the Empress seems like an undue risk.   However, considering that no one yet knows who killed the Empress, it is a risk that seems to have payed off for them.   It is true that there seems to be a great hole when it comes to the Fursic’s methods and motivation.    I think it is exactly that hole that implicates them.  No one knows what they have been doing on Kozu; they certainly have enough space on that island to hide someone who could produce a weapon so similar to Dastana Jasik.  They could also hide something that justifies the risk of so publicly assassinating the Empress.”

He took a deep breath, keeping his face carefully neutral.   His mother would not appreciate any show of self-satisfaction at his own cleverness.   If it was cleverness--really he had just been keeping an open ear and had remembered some old rumors.   He had been lucky, to encounter some old Hogo school mates at the school of the mind a couple days previous, and he had been generous with his dragons.  Especially when it came to buying rice wine.

“Also, the month before last, someone died in the Imperial Prisons.  Apparently, she had been put there after making an attempt on someone during their stay at the Imperial household.  It is unclear who her target was--some say it was the Chojo, even the Empress herself, others dismiss that as overdramatics and blamed in on petty minor clan disputes.  But it is agreed upon that this assassin died in a very suspicious matter, and before she could divulge any information on her employer.   Her heart simply...stopped.  Yet, in the situation no one could have touched her, unless they could have walked through walls.”

Yukie felt, rather than saw, the significance of the words work their way through his mother's mind.   Both of them knew, having been trained to make their mental entry as subtle as possible, how unsubtle it could be.   Yukie found himself wondering in that moment if Shuuan knew how deadly she could be, if she cared enough to make herself so.  Perhaps they were all fortunate that she didn’t really care at all.

It was still a shot in the dark.   Yukie knew, even as he saw the warm glow of approval blossom on his mother’s face, that she would be tugging on the strings of her network as soon as possible, drawing out that line of rumor, and sifting and confirming.   It could have been suicide, one of those poison pills concealed in the back of the mouth, in the shape of a tooth.   It would not be out of character, for one of those assassins.   And well, there were other Iden users on Sado.

“An interesting story,” Morie said.   “I will seek to understand it better in the following days.   I expect you to do the same.   Regardless, I have been given many new things to think about.  I thank you, daughter.   Let us go our separate ways.”

Yukie nodded, then stood and bowed.  “Thank you for allowing me to intrude upon your time, My Honored Mother.”

“You are excused.  Until we meet again.”

Morie’s dashi maidservant showed Yukie out the door, which she continued to stare at as she finished her tea.   When she came to clear the Toroshu’s dishes, she was struck by the strange look on her mistress’s face.   She had not heard any of the conversation--Plangori Fanai, the Torushu’s distant cousin and currently employed private guardswomen, had made sure the two talked in complete secrecy.   Yet, they must have been discussing something very important.   If she did not know her mistress's moods so well she would have dismissed it, but the Toroshu looked almost impressed.

“May I assist my honored mistress in any way?” she asked, after another few moments of silence.

“I am perfectly, alright, thank you,”  Morie said, and than silently, to Fanai ::But my daughter is concealing something from me, and the strange thing is I have no idea what it might be.::

The maidservant had been correct.  Toroshu Morie was impressed.

[Oki, Plangori Compound (Akiyo)]

Akiyo’s eyebrows shot up at Kulrik’s comment.  “The Umbralines are the head clan certainly, but until now they have presided over hundreds of years of peace.   I’m inclined to allow them their elegant towers.”   She smiled indulgently, as if the royal family were a bunch of children who needed to be left their toys.

“Besides,” she said, picking up a slice of the gelatinous substance.  “They’re certainly better than the alternatives, don’t you think?”

The eldest Plangori daughter watched Kulrik coyly.  “Not a fan of konjac?  It’s quite an acquired taste, I’ve heard.  But it’s the closest thing to fresh fish we have here.”  She popped the piece in her mouth and chewed delicately, hiding the motion with a hand over her mouth.

“And I’m afraid not.  My cousins are courteous, but they will not allow me any time alone with any male, let alone one from a clan that forsook the crown.  Nor do I think your retainer will allow so either.”

“Unless,” she said, turning back to her bean curd. “You think you can outwit them.  But I wouldn’t recommend it.  My clan is especially skilled and detecting those sneaking around.”

Her eyes twinkled at Kulrik.

[North Odaiba, Village of Sednkuy (Hatchi/Ilykaed/NPC)]

There were few people that Kuychar Hatchi genuinely feared.

She was wary of Imperials of course, and even clans of less conservative Taajar (Angavur in particular).  They were like the weather—powerful and inevitable.   One could only prepare for them and hope for the best.   It was useless to wring hands about it.

Her own jahagir was another matter.

Hatchi sat and sipped zir tea in the receiving room.  It was undeniably cozier than any place she had been for the last few months.   The rugs kept out the now persistent cold.   It wasn’t winter storm season yet, but it would be soon. 

Yet despite everything, she was on edge.  It might have been better if any of the Jahagir’s guards had time to spare for a conversation—but other than Saemti, who had exchanged some brief small talk with Hatchi before returning to her guard post, everyone had things to take care of.   When the door creaked open, it was almost a relief.

“Hatchi, it has been a long time.”

Kuychar Ilykaid, Jahagir of clan Plagori, sat at her desk, hands folded on top of it.

“As well, My Lady Jahagir,” Hatchi said, returning the greeting in Vulgar Taa.

She walked into the room and stood as straight as she could.   “May I sit?”

“You may.”

There was no pity in her voice, no “of course,” no aside glance towards Hatchi’s cane as she lowered herself into the chair.   Ilykaed knew that Hatchi would dislike such gestures, especially from someone above her.

That was the problem, of course.   Ilykaed made Hatchi feel more than a little exposed.  Hatchi was used to being the one with the cards, used to living a slippery mental fog that allowed her to focus on the immediacy of her existence, used to letting only appropriate emotions float to the surface.

Ilykaed alway necessitated a certain kind of preparedness.   Their interactions were always routine, business-like.   Nothing had given Hatchi cause for alarm, nothing except the way Ilykaed watched her leave, her honey-golden eyes impossible to read.   Yet, Hatchi had always breathed a soft sigh of relief when she stepped out of that gaze.

Well, best to continue as a usual.

Hatchi took out her caravan journal, passing it to Ilykaed across the table.   The accounting papers for the caravan had already been passed to the appropriate people.   Ilykaed didn’t ask about them.   In the ten years that Hatchi had led her caravan, they had slowly minimized the amount of time asking about things that had already been taken care of.   This suited Hatchi just fine.

“With the Rora’s death and mounting tension among the Imperials, I thought best to cut off our stay in the capital,” she said, as Ilykaed flipped through the journal.   The jahagir raised her eyebrows when she came to the page detailing the meetings with the Astyzyar Jahagir and Plangori Soraya.   “I asked Toroshu Kilanya to grant us safe passage through their lands, which was granted.”

Hatchi took out the pass the toroshu had given her, and placed it on the desk.   This was what she had anticipated causing the most concern.  Asking for passage was hardly the same as drawing up an alliance, but it was still associating with an Imperial Clan, and at the highest level.

Ilykaed unrolled the permission, frowning, then flipped to the respective page in Hatchi’s journal.   This only caused her frown to deepen.

“You know, everybody these days seems to think it would be a fantastic idea to have Imperial Toroshu consult me in all matters.”

“She wanted to ask me how the Taajar felt about the current political situation,” Hatchi said, barely restraining a note of defensiveness in her voice.   Ilykaed hardly ever looked so transparently annoyed; it had thrown her off.   “I thought it best to defer to you, Lady Jahagir.”

Ilykaid sighed and rubbed her eyes before getting up and taking a couple documents from one of the chests in her recieving room.   “I’ve shown these to the caravan leaders that are here--you might as well see them now.  You deserve to know.”

The Jahagir placed the documents in front of Hatchi, side by side, so that Hatchi could see that one bore the mark of the Anstyzyar Jahagir, and other of her regent.

Very different things were written on them.

“Ah,” Hatchi said.   There was nothing else to say really--the two documents quite explained Ilykaed’s annoyance.

“I am going to wait for now,” Ilykaed said, answering Hatchi’s question before it was asked.   “Hopefully the Anstyzyar and her cousin will sort out their communication problem before it results in disaster for someone.  However, I don’t fancy taking any chances.   I’ve sent out messengers to try to catch the caravans that have not yet returned.”

The jahagir smiled.   “You made a good decision, choosing to take that shortcut.   That detour might bring up complications, but taking calculated risks is what I expect of my caravan leaders.  I’d expect nothing else from someone with your level of experience.   Which brings me to you current situation: it’s been ten years, Hatchi.”

“Lady Jahagir, surely, with the current circumstances--”

“The current circumstances make it even more advisable for you to take a well deserved break, instead of plunging into the unknown with a new caravan when we don’t yet know if we might have to go to war.   Hatchi, I know you would prefer to travel and I am not outright banning you from leaving the village.   Exercise your own judgement.   I trust you to do at least that.”

Hatchi could only bow her head in response, feeling the weight of the Jahagir’s expectations.  Zi--she could hardly refuse when Ilykaed had heaped so much praise upon her.

“Yes, Lady Jahagir.”

~ ~ ~

Hatchi had left Myzru at the pens to become reaquainted with the other Husi, so zi had to walk all the way to the practice yards by zirself.

She was surprised to find one figure there, systematically shredding a practice dummy with a half-pike.

“Sedskar?”

“Hatchi!”  The young koshi zrupgar turned to her, grinning.   “They said you were back early!   How can I help you?”

“You’re working the yards now?”  Hatchi asked.   Sedskar had been a personal guard to the Jahagir and a messenger when she had last left Sednkuy.   His husi, Dapys, was notoriously bad tempered, but also very, very fast.

The male dashi’s grin lost some of it’s sparkle.   “So, I was on a diplomatic mission to the Angavur...”

“Yes?”

“And I ran into the toroshu of the Dastana.”

Suddenly, Ilykaed’s earlier words made sense.

“And you told her she might want to visit Jahagir Ilykaed.”

“Pretty much.”

“Bet the Jahagir wasn’t too happy about that.”

“She wasn’t.”

“So she assigned you to maintain the yards as punishment.”

“You know,” said Sekskar, in lieu of directly responding to Hatchi’s statement.   “I never realized how much work went into stuffing dummies.”

He stared glumly at the now nearly amorphous collection of straw before turning back to Hatchi, grinning again.

“But you never answered my question.   What brings you here?”

“Our Jahagir has encouraged me to take my decadal sabbatical.”

“Encouraged?”

Hatchi didn’t answer that question, and instead looking meaningfully toward the weapons rack.   “I thought I might practice some pike work now that I have the time.”

Sedskar nodded, tapping his chin with one finger as he scanned the row of tasseled spears and half-pikes.   “Considering your lack of maneuverability, you might want something like…” the young dashi’s hand stopped halfway to the emerald half-pike he was reaching for as he suddenly realized he might have said something rude. “N-no offense intended, Lady Caravan Leader, I only meant--”

“It’s fine,” Hatchi said.   “I do lack maneuverability.   Politeness won’t matter if I’m dead.”

Sedskar’s face lit up against almost immediately.   “Okay then, let’s get started, shall we?”

He handed the half-pike to Hatchi.

~ ~ ~

When Hatchi stumbled into the wagon several hours later, zi was sporting a good selection of bruises and bandaged knuckles courtesy of the Sedskar.   It hadn’t been too bad of a training session--Hatchi’s training as a koshi zrupgar had accustomed zir to using a wide variety of weapons, but it had still been a long time since zi had held anything longer than a baton or sparred against a trained opponent.

Sedskar was a good teacher in spite of, or perhaps because of, his habit of leaving little filters between his brain and his speech.   He had known when to slow down on Hatchi and when to push zir, and had offered plenty of ideas on how to adapt the traditional forms to Hatchi’s lack of of reach and mobility.   

Hatchi wondered if Ilykaed’s assignment of him to the yards was merely a punishment or if she had seen the same potential that Hatchi had.   Sedskar originally came from a small clan of taajar based on Iki; he had been traded to Kuychar when he was hardly old enough to walk as part of an agreement they had with the more traditional clans.   It was an old tradition created mostly to prevent the diseases that occurred when those too closely related had children.   In this age, however, where male dashi were considered of little use, it had the effect of giving people like Sedskar opportunities they would never have had otherwise.   By all accounts, he had taken to his now home like a fish to water; the only thing that stood about him being his gender and his silver-blue eyes, when Kuychar tended toward yellow or brown like Hatchi.

Perhaps it would be good to spend time here, with the people zi hadn’t seen for months.

It was with that thought that Hatchi flopped down into the pallet and fell quickly into blissful darkness.

Zi had no dreams that night.

[Oki, Herupa Compound (Shuuan)]

I knew Jiyuu was speaking metaphorically, but the image of the towers of Sado toppling in flames was was certainly dramatic.  Pretty even.  Like it would be the subject of a silk screen painting or a poem by one of the aesthetics.

I looked over the garden.  It was pretty, certainly, but it didn’t have the honesty of the untamed jungle in all it’s poisonous glory.   I didn’t like things that were uniformly pretty.  They only reminded me of how my own ugliness made me an intruder.  I suddenly felt suffocated in this pretty garden, even with Jiyuu’s presence.

“I’m not going to be much help with that,”  I said.   “I should go.”

Edited by Mel
  • Upvote 4

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

[Oki, Herupa Compound (Shuuan)]

I cocked my head as I stared into Jiyuu's eyes.

"How so?"

What was he planning?

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC: (Jiyu Herupa)

"I only know so much, I am limited by my responsibilities and what I have learned over the years," He said, clasping his hands together.

:I politely ask that you keep an eye, or an ear to the ground. For others. Others who are disillusioned, who want change, who are tired of being ignored because of the parts of them they cannot change. All I ask for now is that you keep watch. Maybe, if you and I look for others, maybe we can make some difference.:

IC:

"That really does depend" Kulrik replied.

"I've outwitted some of the best out there, so I don't think your cousins should be too much trouble. No disrespect to your family of course - they've just never dealt with someone like myself" the First Son added with a grin.

He reached for some vegetables. Hopefully he'd at least be able to stomach those. The fake "fresh" fist didn't agree with his mouth, tongue, throat or stomach.

"Now I agree, the Umbralines have ruled over centuries of peace. As much as I disagree with the way things are right now, I can't think of a better alternative that doesn't involve bloodshed. And that is absolutely something I would like the Empire to avoid for many, many years to come. That's actually part of the reason I'm here. I've stumbled into a bit of a treasure that can cause a lot of trouble if said treasure falls into the wrong hands, and I think it might. But I'm just one person, or two with my aide. So I could use your help on this quest of mine.

"I know you said your cousins dont give you much free time, but I could sneak you away with me if you'd like. I said I need motivation, and well... you're quite the motivator" Kulrik said with a grin.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?