BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC:
The next day was in its youth when Nihi ascended to Kuno's apartment. Kuno's next plan, concocted during the interim hours of the night - during which he had felt no need to sleep - was, however, already matured.

Before I ordered the Dashi servants to open the door, I watched Nihi wait outside through the visitation lens installed in the wall. Her distorted image paced about the stair landing, bouncing lightly in its knees and searching the vaulted ceiling with its eyes. She had arrived several minutes early and, not wanting to impose on a First Son before he had asked, had simply waited silently at his doorstep until her allotted time. Her eagerness and inexperience were more than apparent to me as I watched her dawdle. She didn't seem to know how to stay still for more than a few seconds.

At the sound of the lacquered wooden double doors swinging apart, though, I watched Nihi become quite still, then quickly check the arrangement of her formal uniform skirt. It was dark green velvet, remarkably spotless; this was clearly the finest piece of clothing Nihi owned, and she had probably spent the hours after receiving Kuno's message dusting it off and cleaning it. I pulled myself away from the visitation lens and stood between the doors on my side as they were pulled inward. As the crack between them grew wider, I was able to take real stock of Nihi, since she wasn't seen through a fish-eye. She stood directly opposite me, giving me a clear look at her.

Nihi was about my height - average for a Dasaka - though more athletic. Long, strong legs with warrior's thighs attached to her jaunty hips, which led into a waist that wasted no material. Toned arms and shoulders hung from a prominent collarbone, above which a long neck supported her face. She was pretty enough - big eyes, small nose, square jaw - though not even the facial decoration she'd applied for this important meeting - soft darkness above her eyes, tiny crystals in a curve below them - could mask the mildly haunted look she had. Her Menti's musculature lent her decent posture that lacked the regal confidence expected of those above her caste. Her hands betrayed her, here; they were clasped in front of her, fighting not to fidget with her skirt.

Nihi had been appraising me in the same instants that I had given her a once-over, but once my gaze made it to her eyes, she knew that she had done something above her rank, and took cover in her shame. She gave me a small bow, which faltered a little on the way back up, as though she'd debated whether or not to straighten a moment earlier. Her slightly wincing face met my impassive one as she returned to standing, and I swung my arm to my side.

"First Son Kuno will see you," I told Nihi, gesturing to the room beyond the atrium where Kuno waited. I stepped aside for Nihi as she advanced, and wrinkled my nose at the heavy-handed scent she had adorned for the occasion as she passed. It was something floral, obviously intended to enhance her attractiveness. A low-level Menti like Nihi almost never saw males, let alone was given private meetings with them. Her perfume was unlikely to advance her in Kuno's eyes, though; he was, after all, a Sighteye with an odor specialty, and so preferred lighter and more complex smells. I wore the same fragrance every day, cut grass subtly infused with tree bark, which was much more to Kuno's liking.

The Fursic first son facing his large window, the view from which was far better in the grey light of the morning than it had been in the dying hours of the previous day. Today, Kuno had chosen to adorn in his deep red cape, which towards its base mottled into dark blue. He decided against wearing his ceremonial crystal armor because it would surely have intimidated Nihi. She was intimidated enough as it was; as Nihi came into the room and saw Kuno's back, she stiffened at once and stopped in her tracks. I entered the room after her and closed the door behind me. Kuno heard the shutting and turned easily to face his guest. For a moment, she was petrified; the next, she remembered how to breathe and gave Kuno a deep bow.

"Sit down," Kuno invited Nihi, indicating not the backless chair but a comfortable bench. Nihi seemed torn between obeying him and disobeying tradition; she of a lower caste should not be seated while a First Son yet stood. Tradition, as usual on the Archipelago, won out, and Nihi bowed again.

"I'd prefer to stand," she croaked. The Menti swallowed the lump in her throat. "But thank you, sir." She avoided Kuno's eyes by flitting her gaze here and there across the view through the window.

"It's a fine view, isn't it," Kuno said, noticing her fixation on the world outside and returning his focus to the vista as he pivoted to face it. "The sun sets on this side, and the Towers of Knowledge are magnificent. You can barely see the tops from here... Would you like anything to drink?"

"No, thank you sir," Nihi declined politely. She hadn't moved, and as Kuno diverted himself from the window, he noticed. In an instant, he seemed to understand; with a half-smile, he stepped from the window and took his seat in the backless chair.

"Now that I am seated, I insist that you sit," he told Nihi apologetically. "You must forgive me for having placed you in such an awkward situation. I had, in truth, forgotten that you are not of my stature... Normally, Menti warriors are not so elegant. Please, sit." As Nihi bashfully took her seat, Kuno's eyes glinted; all was proceeding according to plan. He was excellent at using social customs to his advantage. "I will maintain our equality where I can, for your sake; we will both drink."

That was all the command I needed. From a side table, I brought them a tray bearing two ceramic cups and a crystal bottle full of juice. I poured their juices, handing cups to Kuno and then Nihi; I replaced the bottle on the tray and retreated to my corner of the room behind Nihi. He took a glad gulp of the juice, and she a conservative sip. Kuno put his cup down deftly and sat up, looking Nihi in the eyes. This time, she had to meet his gaze, and did so as gracefully as she could.

"You must be wondering why I have summoned you here, Nihi," Kuno said.

"Yes, sir," Nihi nodded.

"I will tell you," Kuno went on. "But I want you to be able to speak freely with me, Nihi. You must let yourself say what you mean; I allow you - no, I encourage you - to keep nothing from me."

"Yes, sir," Nihi nodded again. "I will do my best."

"Good," Kuno said. He took another sip of juice; Nihi abstained. The First Son began in earnest. "Yesterday, I happened upon Datsue Tsura in the Gardens; naturally, I asked her about the voyage to Mata Nui, for the distant island intrigues me, as it intrigues so many of us. In the conversation, Tsura mentioned your name when she discussed the other Menti who had gone on the expedition."

"She did, sir?"

"Yes," Kuno said. "She informed me that you had been selected for the mission because of your... passion."

"That was... kind of her to mention, sir," Nihi replied hesitatingly. Merely hearing such a word from the lips of a male was enough to make Nihi flush in embarrassment.

"It was," Kuno assured her. "Kind... and fortuitous. You see, Nihi, the passion that distinguished you is a passion that I share."

"...I... don't understand," Nihi stuttered, her blush deepening and her attention fixated keenly on the carpet.

"We share a passion for justice," Kuno informed her. "You and I want nothing more than to see the Chaotic Six punished for their crimes."

The color drained out of Nihi's face, and she looked back up at Kuno, meeting his eyes with a cold vigor that had not yet been seen. "Yes," she whispered.

"Tsura told me that they..." Kuno took a moment to compose himself again. "...What they did, to your sister." Nihi looked away, the mildest of frown lines creasing her face as she struggled not to show her emotion. Although Tsura had not told Kuno what exactly had happened to Nachi, Nihi's sister, I had gone to the Towers of Knowledge in the night and done his research. The Piraka had robbed Nachi of her sanity on the night when they'd escaped the Archipelago.

"What did they do to you," Nihi inquired flatly, hiding herself stoically in another sip of juice.

"They killed my niece," Kuno replied stonily. "She was both daughter and sister to me; she had not even begun her Menti training. She was a child." This was only a half-lie; a young Fursic daughter had been slain by the Piraka, but she and Kuno had only met once. Kuno preferred to avoid fiction in his deceptions whenever he could; it made them more solid under scrutiny. He turned briefly from Nihi and raised a hand to his eyes; he coughed, as if to cull an oncoming sob.

"I'm sorry," Nihi said after a few seconds' quiet.

"It's alright," Kuno responded. He cleared his throat and continued. "The moment Tsura mentioned... our similarity, I knew that you and I needed to meet. I knew that we needed to work together, align ourselves in pursuit of the only thing that will give us peace. This is why I have brought you here."

Nihi's face darkened. "The only thing that will give me peace is the Piraka's heads ripped from their living spines and used for Paoro... excuse me, sir, that is to say, the Piraka dead." She adjusted in her seat, fretted with the edge of her skirt. Kuno watched Nihi's hands while she added another thought contemptuously. "Them, and the rest of their wicked race."

"The Skakdi are dangerous and vile creatures," Kuno agreed. "Tsura told me about the one from the beach; was he as bad as the first six?"

"He was deceptive from the first moment we met him," Nihi scowled, her fidgeting growing more aggressive. "He killed one of their Toroshu with a smile on his face, the Mata Nuians told us..." Nihi's brow furrowed in confusion. "I'm sorry, sir, but I still don't understand exactly why I'm here."

"You and I both want the Piraka dead," Kuno said, leaning forward. Nihi echoed his motion. "The Piraka, the entirety of the Skakdi plague, whatever it takes. We want to see justice done onto the Chaotic Six, and the only way we will be able to exact it - the only way we will be able to rest - is if we go after them. The Dasaka must return, in force, to Mata Nui."

Nihi's eyes flashed; even from my respectful distance, I could see it. She grinned for the first time, flashing her teeth. Her smile was quite becoming, and heat returned to her face. Kuno knew he had her; the smile he returned was genuine - a rarity - but aroused by a different excitement than Nihi's.

"Yes," she breathed.

"I need your help, Nihi," Kuno informed his guest as he reached out and laid his hand over one of hers. Nihi's eyes widened. "Cowards hold the Rora's ear; they spin lies about the dangers of such a voyage. They preach isolation and fear, and our Empress believes they are right... We must make her see the truth, and we must assure her that the Dasaka below her, her warriors, are brave. We must rally popular support for a return to Mata Nui, support so pervasive that the serpents in court may hide it from her no longer."

"What can I do?" Nihi asked. "I'm just a night guard, I have no power in politics."

"You have passion," Kuno answered, moving his hand up her arm until he gently held her bicep. Nihi watched his fingers. "Passion is power. You are a night guard, you say; so you are free in the daytime. Speak in the public places with your strength and anger; sway the people."

"I am not a speaker, sir," Nihi frowned slightly.

"You will find the orator's bravery in your passion," Kuno told her, slowly removing his hand from her arm. "People will be unable to walk by you without stopping; after all, you are arresting even when you do not speak."

Nihi's eyes closed momentarily then snapped back open. To her mild surprise, she was still sitting with a First Son. I wondered if she'd been testing whether or not she was in a dream. The Menti warrior reached for her juice and falteringly took another sip while Kuno sat back.

"Tell them whatever they need to hear," he instructed. "Do what it takes to achieve our goal." Nihi nodded gravely, and the crystals under her eyes glinted in the light from the window. "If I could help you myself, I would," Kuno went on. "Unfortunately, the populace is prejudiced against my clan. I fear any visible Fursic support - even if unaligned with the clan at large - would only slow us down... I will give you what aid I can, but covertly."

Kuno stood, and Nihi quickly followed suit. They bowed to each other. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Nihi," Kuno said. "Goodbye, and may Zuto Nui smile on you."

I showed her out.

test2.png

IC: Daikura Reiko

Reiko returned to Tarakona soon afterwards. She nodded when the two Dashi guards of the Outer gate bowed and uncrossed their spears.

When she returned to her chambers, an old servant tried to help Reiko change out of her strolling robes but Reiko waved her off. She wanted to change herself and spend some time with her thoughts.

As Reiko put on her her armour and Warden Robes, her thoughts wandered to her earlier conversation with Eiyu Ankora. She still wasn't sure if the Datsue was a smart or just plain crazy.

I wonder if I will turn out like her when I grow old, Reiko wondered. Oddly enough, the thought did not scare her.

She dined alone, and after the morning inspection of the dozen or so Dashi who constituted the Tarakona guards, she retired to the reading room. Reiko preferred physical wood and paper books, of which the Palace had precious few(as expected), to the usual crystal reading Dasaka usually did. It somehow felt more... real, as the reader had to think and see images themselves rather than being given the sights and sounds. It always felt like someone was forcing it onto you. Reiko understood that most Dasaka would not understand her point of view, and she didn't mind, because, well, to put it simply, there were no other Dasaka she had to interact with. Ugh. Just the thought of other Dasaka. They represented all the pretentious, bigoted, self-serving parts of Dasaka culture she had come to become angry with, which was hypocritical, since she benefited from it.

Another reason why I am happy to stay here on Odaiba and not in that politics-ridden Sado, Reiko thought.

At least here, I realise all this. There, I'd be too busy looking over my shoulder to even think about this.

Maybe she would become an Ankora, Reiko realised. And maybe she liked that.

IC: Ichi and Ni

"Nee-san!"

I looked up from my cutting board, turning to stare at the person who had just barged through my kitchen door. "Ni-kun," I sighed in exasperation. Putting down my cooking tools, I looked at the red-striped Dashi that had crashed through the door holding a crate of fish. From the looks of it, it was mostly ruki, but there were a few razorfish in the mix of it as well. And there was probably more kinds of fish in there, judging by how big the crate was...

"Ni, didn't I tell you to sort the fish before bringing it here?" My sister smiling sheepishly, I brought over several crates, sat down, and began dividing up the fish by species. "Ruki, ruki, razorfish, ruki, ruki, baby takea, reef raider, ruki, ruki, cave fish, sea squid, razorcrab, water wraith, ruki, cave fish, ruki-eeewha?!" I jumped back, holding the strange animal in my hands

"Ni, wh-what is this?!" "What, you didn't know?" Ni plucked the strange creature out of my hands and happily shook it. "It's called a lightfish! Believe it or not, while its alive, it's constantly glowing!" Ni's voice was extremely chirpy, sounding really excited as she rapidly described the creature. Knowing her, she probably thought that creature was the best thing since mochi. "So, is it some sort of jellyfish?" I shot in, finally getting a chance to interrupt Ni's incessant talking. "Um, yeah?" "Okay, so I can make jellyfish salad with this, right? Consistency's off though..." Throwing the jellyfish into an empty crate, I continued sorting the fish. "Okay, now what is this?"

"That, nee-san," Ni explained, "Is... Is... Come to think of it, what is it called again?" "Ni," I sighed, shaking my head at my sister's scatterbrained nature. "Hm, come to think of it, I've seen it before. Didn't those hooligans that showed up on the island recently call them, um, Makuta Fish?" "Oh yeah, right," my sister spoke, as if some huge realization had just dawned on her. "That's right, but what does 'Makuta' mean?" "Beats me," I murmured back. "But how do we use this for cooking? It doesn't taste very good-Ni!"

My sister suddenly burst out of the kitchen, as if she had forgotten something. "Where are you going?" "Back to the docks! I've got more fish to catch! See ya!" "Ni, honestly..." Goodness, why does my sister have to be, well, herself, I guess? Shaking my head at my sister's antics, I went abck inside the kitchen and continued sorting the fish. "One hour until shop opens..."

Ic: "Today's lesson will be on focus," Inokio stated as he led me down his private pier. "I've wanted to give this to you for some time."

I obediently followed and bobbed my head like the active listener I am while watching my instructor with rapt attention. I didn't care that he was a man or war and I was the highborniest of the ladies in the empire, the order of prestige between man and woman, rank and file was abandoned in this context. When I am with Inokio a different realm is revealed; Inokio is my friend, my tutor, my mentor, and the relationship between teacher and pupil takes the cake here. Other people around the area, though, exist on a different plane. Even as I follow Inokio into his boat the dashi and the few menti on neighboring piers bow in reverence to me, their princess, and I dutifully acknowledge their gesture with a simple nod.

"You've come a long way, Yumi," Inokio related to me as he turned the long oar and kneaded the launch through the water. "I'm proud of what you can do, but you can't do it all. Focus helps you do one specific task exceedingly well, and you have proven to me that you are extraordinary." I blushed -- being regaled thus by my esteemed teacher made me very proud of myself. "You should be proud of yourself," he said as if reading my mind. And maybe he was.

"But master," I started... Inokio was the only man -- indeed, only person -- I would ever give that honorific to -- "I've already proven my abilities in focus and practice that skill night and day as a Mindarm. Why is this lesson on it, then?"

"Because focusing on one task is easy," Inokio replied quickly and glanced down at me. I sort of languished at the bow of the launch like some spoiled girl being piloted to a picnic and his steady eyes that darted down at me made me adjust my posture to a more respectable one. Sometimes I can get lost in thought, in this case on understanding his words. I realized that was what Inokio was getting to; I was so caught up on being comfortable, understanding his words and where we were going to that I failed at doing well in any of those tasks. "Being able to pay focus on many tasks and do great in all of them is what makes someone truly great. Take me, for an example," he explained as he continued to plow towards... the Market? :dontgetit:

"Okay."

"Do you think I became a Battlemaster because I am an expert at one discipline? Or two? No, three. Three disciplines, each one just as powerful as the other and more powerful than most everyone else's skills. I can share my focus equally between the disciplines so that neither or them is weaker than the other at any point. My focus is in one place and in all places all at once. That is how focusing can be an art all by itself."

"Do you think I can be a Battlemaster, too?"

"Maybe someday, Yumi," he said with a smile. "But every journey takes many small steps and you have a long way to go to achieve affinity with the Three Virtues," Inokio reminded me. It was a long way, I was sure of that, but I was willing. I will succeed. But it really seemed awfully certain that my tutor was taking me someplace I really didn't want to be at.

"Inokio, why are you taking us to the Market?" I asked, a little alarmed at the prospect of being in the lower-caste section of the city. It wasn't the breaking of the social norm that I was afraid of -- ###### those norms, I'll go where I want when I want -- but the Market was always full of all sorts of people, some less friendly than others. I wasn't comfortable going there.

"You're scared, afraid of the unseen in the Market," Inokio stated as if he were reading my-- nevermind, yeah, he was probably doing it again. I nodded. It wasn't like I didn't feel safe with Inokio -- truth be told I felt safer alone with him than with the whole cohort of Hogo retainers who skulked around me always -- I just didn't want to be surrounded by all those people, you know??? "It's because of all the distractions, not despite them, that we're going there," Inokio clarified. "Your mind will whir and your focus becomes your lifeline."

Meh.

I resolved that I wouldn't enjoy this lesson very much. :annoyed:

Inokio berthed the launch on a small dock and calmly suggested I get out, and so I did. Exiting the launch was much harder than getting in, I found, and almost stumbled out onto the dock. Thankfully I didn't make a total disgrace of myself, unlike Princess Anna of Arandelle, though her boat was in quite different circumstances. Inokio joined me on the dock, tied the boat up and pointed me up towards the carved steps that climbed the seawall to the market level.

The Market buzzed with life of all sorts and the hum of activity gradually surged into my ears as I summitted the stairs. I have to admit I'd never been to the Market before. Seen it from the upper balconies or in a hoisted dais, sure, but never in it. Inokio somehow knew this and nudged me to go forward and immediately I found myself surrounded by saihoko of all sorts. Noodle merchants, fruit peddlers, fishermen, trinket sellers -- they barked and called out from all directions at all directions, and as I stepped into the throne with Inokio close behind me I found myself assaulted by stares and aggressive sales pitches.

"They don't know who you are," Inokio gently said close to my ear. "Most of these people have never seen a member of the royal family before, let alone you. To them you are just another noblewoman and I'm a retainer or servant, but there's so much more in that term than a simple noun."

The thrill of being immersed by this culture clash was exhilarating. I was reminded at times that the vast majority of the Empire was composed of people like those around me, common folk with no wealth or destiny to speak of, mere workers and merchants. This was a classic example for me, a cross section of the lowermost castes. A little bit of me wanted to throw up as one fisherman grazed me and left a stench of seaman on my skirt but I resisted from outright making myself more prominent than I already was.

"Are they dangerous?" I asked.

"They can be. You are everything they are not, remember that, and not everyone here likes the Umbralines. You come from the greatest clan. Everything you have was given to you, even your education, but for most of these people all they were given was the skin on their back and a long line of nothing to continue. You sleep in Valkyr down comforters in a diamond mountain but some of these people may coil under wooden bridges with fish scales as bedding. You are a spoiled noblewoman in their territory, the antithesis of their lives in every sense of the word, and are not exactly welcomed. And if they found out you are the chūjo they might be more judgmental."

"And you don't intent to keep it a secret, do you?" I asked him urgently. One grimy 'hoko was thrusting a basket of persimmons at me; I turned my nose the other way and nudged past her.

"Don't worry," Inokio replied but it didn't give me any comfort. "I won't tell them for a while yet."

"Hm."

"I have a task for you," he said and flashed a list at me.

"A task?" I asked incredulously. :uhuh: Yes, he was my tutor, and yes, we were in a lesson, but I was the ###### chūjo and I was not interested in performing menial tasks in the Market. Only my sense of honor and reverence for the Battlemaster's wisdom kept me from protesting.

"I want you to acquire for me five pears, taste the sushi of the best shop in the market, and trade this pendant at Lumpsum's Mercantile. When you do these things, return to the boat."

"Inokio, if any harm comes from this lesson..."

"I know what Hanako will do to me if a scratch fell on you, Yumi," Inokio said with a chuckle. "Stay focused!"

Inokio seemingly vaporized. I stood in the Market a lone princess in a sea of faces.

I gulped.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

IC: Amaki

The drumming was quiet at first, the slow yet steady beats drifting across the marketplace. As time passed, the drumming became louder and louder, its tempo increasingly rapidly. People began to notice, taking their attention off the vendors to search for the source of the drumming. They would find it in the form of a single Dasaka (a Menti warrior! gasped one of the watchers) standing firm in the centre of the market, her head glistening with sweat as she pounded against the drum. There was power in the sight, leaving many a shopper mesmerised.

And that was exactly what Amaki wanted.

The Fursic clan-member continued to beat against the drum in front of her, wasting absolutely no energy as she channelled her very soul into the music. Even if it was her wish to have spectators, there was nothing but her and the drum. It was part of her, an extension of her very own body. The tempo shifted; her grip changed. Her drumming began to quieten down, each beat further and further apart.

Then it came.

The change was nearly instantaneous. Her drumbeats took upon new strength, her bachi pounding away with the force of a thunderstorm. The effect was absolutely hypnotising. Every one of her blows were carved into the eyes of her spectators; every beat forever ringing in their ears. Amaki began to work faster. The tempo slowly increased, building up to a climax.

She stopped, lifting her arms up. Her crimson eyes stared down at the surface of her drum.

Her final beat came. No matter who was watching, it was obvious that her sticks were synchronised perfectly, both hitting the drum at the exact same time. It was a beautiful finish to her performance, one that many would never forget.

Even as the spectators trickled away, Amaki's hands were still gripped onto her bachi, the two sticks lightly hovering over the surface of the drum. Slowly and surely, her body began to relax, the tension flowing away as if it had never existed. She had never performed in such a public location before, but she did not regret it.

The feeling had been absolutely exhilarating.

Ic: I was only a few steps into my solo walk in the Market when I could hear a more potent cacophony from deeper within. Not at all familiar with the sights and sounds of the place I wasn't sure if this was just something that happened regularly or not. I thought that maybe it was some sort of system of alarms at first, like a way to close the exchange or something, but the curious people around me soon proved to me that this was actually a street performer.

A few people started going towards the center of the drumming noise to find out who the musician was. I was tempted to avoid their direction and go my own way -- I did have the tasks Inokio gave me to accomplish and the paths between stalls was a little clearer now... but like a fish caught in a current I felt attracted to find out what was going on. It was kind of hypnotic and drew my curiosity easily. The Palace itself was filled with skilled musicians of all sorts, from stringed instruments to odd gong-type thingies -- but percussion seemed like the commoner's music. It was raw, strong, honed but temperamental, not at all like the fragile, delicate songs my mom liked to hear within the apartments. Hanako's tunes were pretty neat but even her most vivacious performances were not as active as what I was hearing.

As I searched for the player I kept the pendant I was to trade at Lumpsum's close to me, then opted to just drop it into my chest armor for safekeeping. Clever Yumiwa! :) One less thing to focus on, I surmised. A few people still gave me gawking looks as an obviously highborn lady ambled by them and I squirmed at the proximity I had with some of the filthier denizens but still kept my nerves intact. And so there I was, drifting towards the drumming, until I stood at the fringe of the crowd observing the musician.

The Dashi around me seemed to look up to me and give me a little berth, which I was thankful for, and allowed me a clear view of the drummer. His beats were melodic and quick, which I appreciated. Some people watching swooned at the Dasaka performer -- I guess some people just really easily fall for the drummer-types. The performance was over shortly after I came to it, though, and with the thundering encore provided the people applauded as she relaxed her tense body, and then went back to their lives though somehow the way between the drummer and myself remained clear.

Well, this was awkward. Did this Menti know who I was? I hoped not. I was tempted to just go away like everyone else at first, but I had this sort of focus on the drummer. Focus. Right. Fooocus. What was there for me to learn from this setting?

I suddenly realized that the drummer was looking at me, noble me, pretty me, alone me, and I was taken aback at first. "Um, hi," I said to make the situation less awkward.

Yeahhhhhh, the fact that I was speaking with a fellow Menti didn't change the circumstances and yeah it was still tooootally awkward.

The appearance of another Menti warrior caught Amaki off-guard. She hadn't expected a noble to be watching her performance, especially one of such status. It was obvious from the way the other Dasaka carried herself. The armour itself would have been sufficient, but the motions were what clinched the fact that she was dealing with a high-ranking noble. No one else could carry themselves in such a fashion. It was actually quite flattering, knowing that her performance even attracted those of the upper castes.

It was this moment when Amaki realised that the other Menti had spoken, and was waiting for a reply.

"Hello," she replied, steeling herself as she gave the other Dasaka a deep bow. It paid to show respect to those of a higher rank.

In the back of her mind, she wondered why a noble of her spectator's status would visit the marketplace. They usually did not shop amongst the commoners, preferring to send their retainers down to do so for them. The ever present stench of fish and the salty air was a major deterrent. Perhaps the noble was curious or acting out? No matter. It was not Amaki's place to find answers to such questions. After all, it would be rude to pry.

"Thank you for your patronage," continued the drummer, returning to her upright position. "It is greatly appreciated."

Edited by Totally Prodigious Artist

Ic: "You're welcome," I replied. Honesty was a virtue of mine but humility... probably not my strongest facet, heh. I'm not egotistical, mind you, but there's just this thing about how I grew up being told that every breath and step I take is like a blessing to the empire, so there's that. As a result, when someone thanks me for something I give them unwarranted I say they are welcome for that.

"Do you play here often?" I asked, wishing to know more about this drummer and her music. "And from which clan do you hail?"

The drummer shook her head. "This is the first time I've played in the marketplace."

It had gone rather well for a first performance. She had originally been planning to play in front of some of her fellow clan-members, but whimsy struck and she had decided to head out into public instead. Although she did have some reservations, the idea had proved to have been highly fruitful. If she wanted to continue to improve, she needed to get used to playing in front of people she did not know. Hopefully it'd be in a less fishy area next time. Amaki may have been used to it, but the smell still got on her nerves at times.

"And from which clan do you hail?"

Ah. There was a loaded question.

"Ah, the Fursic," she said slowly.

Ic: Aaaaand there we have it... Fursic.

Yay. <_<

So at that point I sort of ran out of things to say. What was there, really? I paid my full attention to this Menti and her drums and then I looked into her eyes and spoke to her but now the river was dry and there was nothing more. Really.

Or was there?

My lesson was on focus and I sure had given this Menti my full focus, but that was never the point of the lesson. Focus on ALL THE THINGS. That was the point. And how could I do that? Let's see, I had to focus on my conversations with others, the location of others, fishmongers, the pendant -- yes it was still where I put it -- the pears and the noodles.

All at once. Oh!

"So you haven't played here before. But have you come to the Market and explored it previously?" I asked. Maybe she has been here and knows where the best noodles are at.

It was reassuring for Amaki to know that the other Menti did not immediately ignore her simply because of her clan affiliation. It was true that the Fursics were ... quite a bit more radical than the average clan on Kentoku, but they were perfectly loyal. She herself was a rather ambitious person, but she would definitely not act disloyally to the ruling clan of the archipelago. It would be a death sentence, and that was something she wanted to avoid.

"Ah," she began, nodding quickly. "Yes, I regularly frequent the marketplace."

Being one of the younger children of a minor clan member meant that she was sent on errands all the time. It had been dizzying at first, being forced to visit such a busy place, but the years had gotten her used to the atmosphere. Indeed, she could honestly say that she enjoyed being with so many people, although it would have been nice to see a little bit more hygiene. Thank Zuto that her sense of smell had been dulled through so much exposure.

"Do you need help with anything?" continued Amaki, honestly curious.

Ic: "Why yes, actually," I said, rather glad that there was someone who could point me in a direction. Granted, Inokio mayyy have been expecting me to use all my senses to find the places he pointed me to but I opted to be sensible instead. "I'm looking for the best sushi shop in the Market," I told the Menti.

Realizing I didn't even know much about the Menti besides that she played drums really well and was a Fursic, I quickly tacked on, "And also your name." Perhaps aftewards, once I returned to the apartments, assuming I did and wasn't shanked in the square before I left, I could send a servant to find out the rest of this woman -- her record, her history, her lineage, her favourite candy, how many weaves in her linens.

"The best sushi place would probably be over at Shirakawa's," replied Amaki after a moment of consideration. "She has good service, and is an absolutely fantastic chef."

While she could also argue that one of the other sushi stores could beat Shirakawa's in food quality, the service was simply top-notch. Amaki really doubted that the other Menti could tell the difference between a superior and one that was only of slightly less quality. Service was always the most important when nobles were involved. Respect was everything.

"My name?" she parroted, a bit surprised that the noble wanted to know it. "Ah, sorry - it's Amaki."

Ic: "Oh, good," I said and let the moment rest. People still ambled by me and it was still terribly noisy. My rapt concentration to speaking with Amaki distracted me from the rabble around me, but now that I payed attention -- ahem, focused -- to everything that I could again just brought the noise to my attention. "I want to eat there. Take me to it," I commanded.

Perhaps I could have been kinder or more passive but ########### that. People already knew I was noble -- what's the point pretending to be anything less? I figured so long as I didn't act anything more regal than that I would be fine.

At least, until Inokio made good on his threatening to declare my identity. I wonder how he would do it...

Edited by EmperorWhenua

The request was a bit demanding, but Amaki brushed it aside. It wasn't really a major problem anyway, and she didn't want to anger a member of a higher caste than her. Terrible things happened to those who did. Or at least that was what the horror stories her mother used to tell her said.

"All right," she replied, giving another quick bow. "Simply follow me. Watch your step though - the ground can be a bit slippery."

With those words, the drummer stepped forwards onto a street, gesturing for her newfound companion to join her. She could leave the drum safely in the market centre with no worries - she had actually rented it from one of the nearby vendors earlier, so there was no real need in taking it with her.

IC:

"Without a trace," repeated Desdemona Umbraline for the fourth time in two minutes. For once, she held her dagger in her grip, tapping the sharp point of the crystal blade against one of the chairs in her royal apartments. "They found her dead without a trace."

"Desdemona, are you sure that maybe when you--"

"Have you been listening to Yumiwa again? Is she still telling you that sometimes I get bored and tired of being the friendless little problem child, so I invade the minds of the gutter rats in the holding cells and smash their psyches like glass?" Desde asked, wounded, and a bit more sharply than she intended. "There's something wrong here, I'm telling you. There are maybe a couple dozen Willhammers with apartments here that could do something like this - only eight of them aren't Umbralines or Umbraline-affiliated. There's an agenda here - there's always an agenda here."

Hanako was quiet.

"I'm going to find it," she said, filling the void originally meant for Hanako's response.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Hogo Kamari (Hogo Noshima's Chambers, Imperial Palace)

A long silence had befallen the two and the room held a tense feeling. With a sigh of resignation Kamari stood up from her pillow and looked down at her Toroshu. The look on her face was one of mock seriousness yet there was also a hint of curiousity

"Does my Toroshu have a location in mind?"

OOC: Taking over Hogo Kamari for Kughii and will admit i hope i do a good job of this since this is my first time playing a dasaka character..

Edited by A Vox in a Box

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

IC:

Kulrik grinned madly.

Well, that was certainly unexpected. He'd already been surprised when Seigyo had actually accepted his playful offer to stay in his room, the impropriety being rather uncharacteristic of the dutiful Herupa. But to go so far as to even sleep in his bed - that was downright extraordinary. Seigyo was obviously adjusting well to her new lord's sense of humour, and Kulrik couldn't wait for the fun they would have on the adventure ahead.

"Of course I slept well Seigyo dear, with you in bed by my side. Couldn't feel safer, you see."

Kulrik leapt from bed, blanket and covers falling to the floor as the First Son walked over to the window and admired the sun just above the horizon. He lifted his arms.

"Now, dress me for our journey and we'll be off."

Edited by Toa Fanixe

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

IC:

:You will be doing no such thing. We, on the other hand, shall do much...:

The vine-woman danced around Koga, turning and leaning her head on his right shoulder. Then, she took a step forward. Vines parted ways, an indent forming in the body of the woman. Koga fell backwards into the hollow, encapsulating himself in the greenery. The vines began coiling and wrapping themselves around Koga's projection on the mental plane, trapping it. Soon, there was a single being on the plane, one body snared in a mesh of creeping plants.

Their consciousness' drew closer, ideas and feelings seeping across a thin divide and joining to form a pool of thoughts.

Penned in her web of vines, Koga's mind relaxed as Soraph forced their attention to another being on the mental plane, and faint prickle compared to theirs. Soraph's vines acted like muscles, bringing her and Koga toward the Janu bird called Hane. Soraph picked up the bird with their hands. She brought it close to their face, Koga's fingers forced to hold Hane gently. Soraph and Koga's peered into the Janu's eyes.

The world spun violently.

Then, it stopped. The mental realm Koga had created was gone, replaced with a replica of the veranda he and Soraph were sitting in on Sado. There was only a single figure here, a magnificent Janu bird, in which was housed the mind of three beings.

:Look now, First Son Koga. we see through Hane's eyes, we feel it's wings at our side. This is Hane's mind, his perception in its entirety of the outside world. Now, where will fly to first?:

IC: Koga

A solitary ant marched itself across the crystal veranda. Halfway between the stamen and the leaf it paused, unsure in its course, antennae searching the soft purple flower for a clue. Three heart-lights beat in unified tempo, six eyes looked out from one skull: Koga's, Soraph's, and finally Hane's. To an outsider, it was an if a never-ending well had formed in the pupils of the Janu bird. Koga felt the breath echo from one body into the next as their linked minds passed nerve impulses between each piece of the ensemble.

He would have spoken, but the raw majesty of an unknown world lay before him, bound not by the earth but by the stars. Hane's wings opened, flapped twice, and then she rocketed off her stand and into the night...

OOC: So sorry Fanixe for not writing anything with Koga. I've been superbly busy and just trying to stay up on at least Ishi... Here's this! Feel free to bunny Koga in a flight around the castle if you want.

IC: Eshai

There was a pause as I stared down at the food. I thought I knew what it was when I was ordering it, but seeing it before me made it appear nothing at all like I was expected. I wanted to answer Sanei quickly, but I was not even certain as to what exactly sat before me on my plate. There was of course, very few ways of testing to see what food was made of.

I looked over it quickly, trying to figure out exactly what it was that had been presented. I was fairly certain it wasn't what I had ordered, but perhaps they made it differently here. I took a small bite of the substance, hoping that maybe taste would tell It was certainly some sort of food, and it didn't taste bad, but... I felt like I might have tasted it once before...

"I'm sorry, I can't answer that... I'm really not sure what it is myself."

Edited by Nocturne Auteur

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

"All right," she replied, giving another quick bow. "Simply follow me. Watch your step though - the ground can be a bit slippery."

With those words, the drummer stepped forwards onto a street, gesturing for her newfound companion to join her. She could leave the drum safely in the market centre with no worries - she had actually rented it from one of the nearby vendors earlier, so there was no real need in taking it with her.

Just as Amaki said that my heel slid on a particularly slippery bit of ground, but I managed to retain both my balance and my grace just in time to avoid a glance back from Amaki. I mentally sighed in relief -- it would be so very embarrassing if I made a fool of myself here and now. Where was Inokio, anyways?

Hmm.

"Tell me about this place," I asked Amaki, mostly out of curiosity. Focus. Focus. Focus on all the things. Such big picture. So focus. Wow.

"It's just a simple market," she replied as the two continued to traverse the street. "Some saihoko got together one day, and decided to set up an area where they could all sell their wares."

Amaki paused for a moment and stepped back, nearly bumping into Yumiwa as she did so. Seconds later, a rather crazed-looking Dashi sped past, pushing a wooden cart full of fruit. This market was one of the busiest in the archipelago, and it paid to heed the warning signs of people hurrying to work. She'd learnt after having been knocked into the sea once. It was a terrible time.

"The smell however," she continued, acting as if she had not nearly been run over by a cart, "is absolutely disgusting."

Ic: "It is," I agreed. The cart missed me thanks to my ever-expanding focus on my surroundings. Focus!

Where was Inokio? I kept wondering. What was he going to do?

"What do you do in Clan Fursic?" I asked Amaki. "Are you a drummer in their corps or is it just a pastime of yours? I mean, that was pretty impressive so you must practice a bit."

"I'm not good enough to join the corps yet," admitted Amaki. "But I practice everyday so I can become good enough."

No matter how impressive her playing may have been, she knew that she was still leagues away from those she wished to surpass. She would need to claw her way upwards if she wished to obtain the recognition she desired. Developing her own style of drumming - one that could exceed the beauty of already existing ones, was a step towards that. She would make it so that her style would be known across the world.

"What about you? What do you usually do?"

Ic: "Um," I gulped. Think fast, Yumi, think fast.

Focus! Inokio reminded me in the back of my mind. Stay focused. What's going on around me? Good. Check. A hoko passes me on the left, another on the right, there's a smell of salty meat in the air, is that a silverware shop? -- shiny! -- OHHHHMYGOD there's a bakery with cherry honey crumbcake, Amaki was still waiting, she had a bugger in her nose, ewwwww!! Yuck, that apple looks putrid, good, the pendant was still lodged in my chest; where's Lumpsum's Mercantile? Yay, pears. Inokio wants me to get pears. How many? Five!

Amaki still waited.

"Um."

What was I to say? That I'm the chōjo? That I live in thaaaaaaat mountain of diamond? That I write poetry and sleep in the most comfortable bed in the empire? That peanuts make me gassy? No, that's irrelevant. Where's Inokio? Oh god if he gave me away now it would be awful. Then egain, let's look at the long picture -- if I lied to Amaki here and Inokio revealed my identity what was I to say? That's dishonourable. A half-truth? Some truth? Let's go for that.

"I'm an Umbraline," I confessed. "I work for the royal court... and do stuff."

Was that enough? Was that too much? Would it create more curiosity?

SUSHI! The place came into view -- I could see the banner for Shirakawa's. Cool.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

"The court huh?" said Amaki, her tone rather wistful. "I would give up quite a bit to be able to play there."

That tidbit of information neatly explained why Yumiwa was so ... regal in her actions. Umbralines were known to be quite prestigious, and possessed the attitude and presence that befitted a person of their status. To be a member of the Rora's court as well ... why, she must have been surrounded by wealth for her entire life. The market must have been a shocking experience for her.

"Any chance that you could put in a good word for me?" teased the drummer as they took a seat in the sushi bar.

Ic: "Yeah, I guess," I replied quickly, glad that Amaki didn't have a bad reaction to my news. Truth be told I could have Amaki put on any number of musical brigades on the palace grounds but most likely won't do it. Plus, she's a Fursic. And while I don't mind her I do have a loathing of the clan's politics.

And its First Son.

Politics first: I know, I know. I'm the princess, politics are what I'm bred for, I'm surrounded by them all the time and it hurts. Why should I hate the Fursic clan's politics in particular if I'm tits-deep in court politics as a whole? Well, it's mostly because the Fursics are unpredictable and greedy. Yeah, they swear off the old days of warring against my clan and wagering everyone's lives on victory but I wasn't swayed. History repeats itself. My studies give evidence of that.

And their First Son. Man, what a disappointment. He's bland, whiny, annoying, clever (I suppose) but nothing spectacular. Even his mere visage is as ignoble as a lump of rice pudding. He's just a puppet of his mother's, hardly quality material for me. To think I'm supposed to marry that brat "for the good of the realm" sends shudders up my spine. I'd rather kiss a 'hoko.

(And that can be arranged.)

I paused briefly as Amaki took a seat at the sushi stand. What just happened? Did the commoner just sit before I-- oh riiight, incognito. I waited some more; some servant girl would surely brush the stool for me in this disgusting locale-- oh riiiiiiight. Incognito. Sigh. And so I gently sat next to Amaki and stared at the posted menu. "What's the best thing here?" I asked Amaki as I still stared.

The cook came up. He looked expecting.

"I'll have some of everything!" I exclaimed without waiting for Amaki to answer my query.

Edited by EmperorWhenua

IC: Sanei

I found Eshai to be a bit confusing, as usual. I wasn't sure why you'd order food without knowing what it was, but, then again, she probably wasn't very picky about meals.

I couldn't help but feel a bit uncomfortable. After all, I was sitting in a restaurant, dining with a clanless person. Sure, nobody would be able to tell at a glance and yeah, she was my bodyguard but still.... was it socially acceptable? I wasn't entirely sure. Individuals who lack a clan weren't very common, and I couldn't recall any cases of a Menti having a retainer who didn't belong to a clan... was there a reason for that?

I shrugged off the thought. There's no reason to worry, I told myself. Plus, she's a Menti in every aspect but one. And nobody I've talked to thus far has so much as blinked when her status was mentioned. Still, just the possibility of dishonoring my family was unsettling.

Again, I pushed away my doubtful thoughts. I could ponder it later. "I see... how is it?"

Ack.

Amaki's face took on an expression of surprise.

"No no no," she said, waving around her arms slightly. "That's not it! Definitely not it! I just thought you'd be eating it all."

Amaki really hoped that her companion wasn't offended. She didn't mean to insinuate that she didn't like the other Dasaka because of clan affiliations! She wasn't that type of person!

Ic: Hm. Well then. I turned to the cook and told him to "Rescind my friend's order; we're sharing mine. And also we'll have sakes. Two of them. We're not sharing that."

"Yes, miss."

I waited a moment as the cook went to make our food before I asked Amaki for more information. "So you're not good enough for the corps... What do you do in your clan?"

It was rather surprising to know that her companion was so generous. Amaki wouldn't argue though - it was nice to have people ordering things for her.

"I'm a warrior," she answered. "I ... don't do much though. Peace isn't very conducive to fighting."

She shrugged. "I prefer drumming anyway."

"I'm really sorry for imposing on you," said Amaki, turning the subject back to the food. "But um, thank you."

Ic: "No worry," I said. It was only polite to repay kindness with kindness and Amaki seemed pretty detached from the cold war between our two clans, which I appreciated, so I didn't make a fuss over the bill. I was rich. I practically ran the place. I can afford all the sushi I want.

Focus. What sorts of possibilities are there right now? Is -- holy -- is Amaki actually Inokio in disguise? I wouldn't put it past the Battlemaster to do it. To be sure, I poked Amaki's shoulder, probably more roughly than I needed to. Yup, sure seemed like a separate being. Not Inokio. Then is Amaki a spy? Is she watching me, studying me? Fursics are spies by trade. Does she knew who I am after all? Oh the possibilities...

"How are things back in Kozu?" I asked to fill the void.

"Nothing that interesting," replied the drummer.

Her clan had been rather quiet recently, although she was definite that somebody was probably formulating a plot. Although it would have been incredibly strange if nobody was cooking something up. Plotting was her clan's bread and butter, after all. Yet she'd never been good at such things.

Sometimes, Amaki wished she could have been a bit less blunt.

"People don't do much these days."

OOC:

Sorry about the extremely late reply.

IC: Ankora (Sado)

"I don't, true, but I'd rather not have that sort of power either. Only my Toroshu can order death upon a fellow Eiyu. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, and awesome power corrupts awesomely"

IC: Daikura Sakrayo

Well, Ankora seemed to have forgotten about the other question that Sakrayo had asked - the question about her way of thought. Sakrayo decided she would shift the topic to one that interested her greatly, and she often liked to see others opinions about.

"Why don't we get away from your train of thought. What is your personal opinion about the peoples of Mata Nui?"

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC: Eiyu Ankora (Sado)

"For a philosopher like me, the chance to explore an entirely different culture would be an absolute delight. It would be the perfect opportunity to broaden my horizons."

"Safe to say, I hope to visit the island sometime in the near future"

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...