BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC:

I really shouldn't be sleeping.

I really shouldn't.

There's important stuff to do, I had better wake up.

Kulrik did wake up. His upper torso rose from the ground and looked around him. The others were standing with weapons drawn. Jiyu was bleeding and two corpses lay on the floor dead. Very dead.

"What'd I miss?" the First Son asked. He wasn't sure he wanted to know.

"Hmm, you know it's been ages since I've been here last, my dear. And one's definition of fun changes quite a bit from when you're a Dasaka and when you're Datsue."

Her stomach gave a small growl.

"I'm filling a little peckish. Why don't we get some fruit to snack on and then we can head to the jewellery section of the markets? I'm sure we'll find some entertainment along the way and if not, we can go check in on the Gardens. There's always some interesting animals there.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Raiyo smiled. "That sounds great!" A day at the Markets... the others would be so jealous But... the Markets seemed very empty today. Most of the stalls were closed... it was midday, they should be busy! The streets were almost empty as well. What was going on? Well, there were two Menti and a Datsue up ahead...

Askha rubbed her strange mask again. "It's too early for this..."

Somei had started walking away from her already. "It's noon, dear."

"What I said still isn't wrong, Somei." Alright, where were they? It had been years since she had been in Sado. They were in the food section of the Markets...

The times, they are a-changing...

IC:

Something was wrong.

When she'd been on Sado during her Menti training the small island had always been ripe with life, especially the Markets. People were always busy honing their skills or filling their purses, and the only place one could truly find any bit of quiet was the Gardens. Robalta hadn't visited in years, but she knew that not even the recent turmoils in the Royal Family could be responsible for this.

Right up ahead were a pair of Menti and a Datsue.

"Stay near, little dove "Robalta whispered to Raiyo. "Things aren't quite the same on Sado as they used to be, and we must be careful."

The Vilda Datsue spoke up loud enough for the strangers to hear.

"Hello there. You wouldn't happen to know what's going on here today, do you? I've never seen Sado like this..." she said in a friendly tone, with a hint of caution.

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Ugh. Now another Datsue was yelling at her. Perfect. Askha gestured at Somei. "Can you deal with... whatever they want? I need to go soak my head..." The menti wandered to a nearby stall, searching through barrels before finding one and plunged her face into it.

Somei sighed, and walked toward the Datsue and Dashi, waving a hello. Both of them wore green and red, they were likely Clan Vilda. "Hello! My name is Somei. There's been some trouble in the Imperial Palace, I'm afraid. Since the Dastana declared their secession, there have been riots in parts of the city. My... clanmates, Askha and Maripi, found themselves here after a bit of a drunken trip. We were just about to leave, try to avoid any extremists, or Guard, or Clan Hogo." The Mashtet Carver gauged the Vilda's reaction. "We are of course unaligned, but we would prefer not to have any entanglements."

Ic: I tilted my head strongly to the side until I heard the satisfying (sickening to some, I guess) crrracks. I stood straighter then, composed myself and breathed deeply as I exchanged concerned looks with my girls before the purple curtain was lifted and my royal face was there for gathered nobles to see in the assembly chamber. The time I an my household dreaded had come—it was time for the rora's response. 

yay.

[Odaiba, Mahuika Hall, Just Inside Side Entrance]

Hatchi and her companion had a less than ideal supper: cold congee and pickled cabbage with a little dried beef from the cow they had slaughtered on Sado.  It was unpleasant, but she certainly couldn't light a fire here while she waited for the Ageru’s deliberation.

[iki, Geyser Field]

I smiled sweetly.

“We missed you, Kulrikky dear,” I said, letting a heavy dose of acid mix with the sugar in my voice.

I took off the pink scarf I had bought earlier and looked at Jiyu.

“Give me your arm.”

[sado, Imperial Palace]

“I was afraid of that,”  Morie said, grimacing slightly.  “The Royal Executioner is...dependable--but he is rather noticeable.”

She steepled her fingers.  “Whoever killed Yusanora will keep their head low now, especially when they encounter anyone with the scent of the crown on them, and especially now that Jasik has been confirmed innocent.  Unfortunately, I seem to have fared no better than Rayuke with my own contacts, but I suspect that the twins are somehow involved, if not directed.  It really is a pity that he is not more rigorous with his questionings.  I need informants closer to the Dastana.  But I am rambling--I came here to ask you if you would be a confident in this investigation and to see how aware you have been of the goings on in the palace.”

The old toroshu stared straight at Desdemona, appraising her.  “Tell me, what do you aspire to, other than the position of battlemaster?”

Edited by Mel

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC:

When I'd gotten back to Odaiba, they'd told me that my sister was in Sado.

When I'd gotten to Sado, they'd told me that my sister was on Iki.

When I'd gotten to Iki, they'd told me that my sister was in the geyser fields.

When I got to the geyser fields, I found my sister ... along with a dead body on the ground.

Holy Zataka's left t--

NOPENONONONO

WOOOOOOO

SAAAAAAAAH

WOOOOO

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

:Nihonei, you've got some 'splaining to do.:

-Void

• Upvote 1

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

The approaching presence of a mind was unmistakable, and for Nihonei's companions, a cause for alarm. None of their encounters in these fields had been friendly, and one of their enemies was still at large. Which is why it was surprising when the Eiyu Toroshu immediately sheathed her swords, whirling to face the newcomer with eyes bright with excitement. Nihonei knew that mind, almost as well as she knew her own. It had been far too long she had encountered it, but it was impossible to forget.

For a few moments, kind-faced composure warred with excitement on her face. She tried to maintain her composure, but it was exceedingly difficult.

:Nihonei, you've got some 'splaining to do.:

Her composure broke, and a broad smile split her face as she crossed to Saritsu, wrapping the younger Menti in a tight hug.

.:Doesn't look very good, does it?:.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

.:Both.:. Nihonei concluded after a moment, grinning quietly at the response. She could practically hear her ribs creak as Saritsu returned the hug, but she didn't offer up any complaint. Truthfully she was rather used to them, even if it had been a while. .:I can explain both. Why the body is not intact is a longer story.:.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:

"Excuse me for not expecting a Willhammer attack in the middle of nowhere, Herupa Jiyu! And what are you even doing here? I thought you were busy on Sado making nice with the Dastana leadership? Rather convenient of you to drop by right when we're attacked."

Kulrik gave Shuuan a dark look. Everything was very confusing right now, and her infuriating nature was just so... infuriating.

And strangely enough, he didn't like it that she was tending to Jiyu's arm. He shook his head. It was a stupid idea, why in the world would he be jealous...

Then another figure appeared and began talking on the mental plane.

"Ok, really, can someone explain what's happened? I think both me and her" Kulrik said, pointing to Saritsu, "would like to know what's happened."

"I understand completely. This whole business in the Empire, it' no good for anyone's health. I'm Vilda Robalta by the way, and this my handmaiden, Raiyo. And you are...?"

Robalta's eyes widened in disbelief.

"You are Mashtet! I'd recognize those colors any day! My goodness, I didn't think any of you were left. The clan is here one day, gone the next. It was the talk of Oki for quite a few months, no one knowing what to make of the disappearance. I'm happy to see that some of you are still alive. Are there any more of you?"

Edited by Toa Fanixe

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Askha frowned. She hated pity. "You're looking at all of us," she said, gesturing to Somei and Maripi. "All of us that have the gall to call ourselves Mashtet, anyway. There were a few Saihoko and other Menti abroad when our clan disappeared, but they were absorbed by other clans. Most notably Clan Fursic." Askha's mask soured more upon mentioning them. She still remembered when she discovered that they had disappeared. She had been feeling homesick when training in the Yards, so she had astrally projected herself back to the clan compound on Hanaloi. She had found it completely empty... Her mother wasn't singing as she carved, no hammering or sawing... just utter silence.

Somei cleared her throat. "Well, they were awfully quick to seize our lands..."

IC:

"How awful" Robalta exclaimed. "As if you lot haven't been through enough. Honestly, some people in this Empire just have no heart, none at all. Why, if were a hundred years younger I'd give them quite a piece of my mind...." 

Her voice trailed as she recalled a pleasant memory where she deposed a particularly arrogant young Fursic male. The look on his face after being bested by a beautiful, and seemingly harmless, Vilda women had been priceless.

"But what do you do for money now? How do you survive?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC:

"What?" Kulrik asked, his voice full of surprise. "Independence from the Empire? That's never been done before. The Umbraline wouldn't stand for it, they'd have an army to bring the Dastana to heel in a month. And the Fursic, they'd just be waiting to pick up the spoils after the fighting, or even join one side or the other."

He paused, thoughtful.

"We've got to hurry and find the rest of these Keys. Otherwise, the months ahead will be the bloodiest history has ever seen. And we can start by someone telling me what's happened here."

Robalta sighed in slight dismay.

"Simple sellswords, from such a renown clan? I suppose there's business for it nowadays, what with what's happening in the Empire, but still. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I knew some Mashtet Datsue, they were good friends of mine. I hadn't seen them in some years, but they always sent me a little carving or such on my nameday.

"Hold on. You said you were going to Oki? Why don't you work for me, just for a few days.I've got some business here on Sado, and some protection couldn't hurt. After that I'll be returning to my clan's castle on Oki and I'll be able to pay you for your trouble. It's the least I could do for my friends' memories"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC:

"My sister can speak for herself, First Son Kulrik," The EIyu Toroshu said, finally releasing Saritsu so she could turn to regard the rest of the group. "And you would do well to cease your pointless bickering with Herupa Jiyu. Given his role in saving your life, you should be thanking him. We were assaulted by three Menti while you were unconscious. Two of them can be found near your feet."

The revelation of the Dastana's secession was a much more complicated matter, and one that instantly took hold of Nihonei's attention. Disparate strands, facts, recollections, thoughts all wove together into a coherent picture; a realization of what had happened and what would happen. She had been away from Odaiba for far too long, even from Sado for far too long. The Dastana had brought a war down upon themselves, even if they did not yet know it. She quietly placed a hand on her sister's shoulder, nodding slightly.

.:I think I know why you came looking, now. We need to go home.:.

"I must take my leave of you now," The Toroshu said, addressing the group. "My clan needs me, and I cannot be away from them in a time such as this. You are welcome to seek me out on Odaiba, if there is aid you require, but you must continue without me."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

It felt like every time Jiyu reared his overly large head in Kulrik's life, bad things happened. The Vilda had never disliked his Herupa counterpart, but now the giant was sorely testing his patience.

"I understand, Toroshu Nihonei. And thank you for your offer; in the coming days, we'll all need as many friends and allies as we can get."

Kulrik nodded at the two corpses.

"Did they say anything about who they were? Why they attacked us?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

Ic:

"They're dead," Jiyu said plainly, "Now that I've delivered the message and saved your life, I see that this quest of yours is ultimately fruitless in the wake of civil war. Now I have a clan to run. Seigyo, Shuuan... I respectfully ask that you two come with me. This... First Son is incapable of leading, or even defending himself. You will be safe at the home of clan Herupa."

"And leave Kulri- My master here?! Jiyu, regardless of what power you wield as Steward, I'm bound by oath!" Seigyo exclaimed.

"And I won't leave until I'm assured of your safety," Jiyu stated.

IC:

"Seigyo will only be safe once the state of the Empire is back to normal, and this quest could be the best way to do that! For all we know, one of the leading clan's are close to this 'power,' and that's why tensions are running so high. We need the Keys and the power they promise to make sure it isn't  abused by either side."

Kulrik looked at Jiyu with scorn.

"I can't help it if I was ambushed on the mental plane. I don't think anyone would have been able to resist for long. So if you're done questioning my prowess, leave us or join us. Just make a decision already."

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC: Before Askha could do anything, Somei butted in. "That will work, I think. Officially, these two Menti travel around the Archipelago as my guards as I renew the few Mashtet carvings that still exist. It's not glamorous, but it keeps us moving and fed. We would be honored to accompany you."

Rubbing the last of the tiredness from her mask, Askha nodded. "Happy to oblige. Where are we heading for now?"

IC:

.:Yes, and I think that the sooner we get going, the better.:.

I took one step in front of Nihonei, eyes watching the two First Sons and wondering how they had managed to avoid choking on all of the testosterone in the air. One hand was always a careful distance from one of my knives, close enough to pull out at a moment's notice, but never quite close enough that anyone could tell that was what I was going to do.

No need to give anyone more reason to get up-in-arms.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

Nihonei thought about speaking. An exasperated lecture for both First Sons lurked in her mind, eager to be set free. Finally she bit it back, placing a hand on her sister's shoulder and giving her an almost imperceptible shake of the head. Saritsu's gesture had been subtle, too subtle for most to see, but she didn't need to see it. She knew what her sister, her other half, would have done. And did do. Relinquishing her grip she turned in place, beginning the walk back towards the docks.

.:I wish you luck, Plangori Shuuan.:. Unsaid, but impossible to miss, was the implication; With those two, you'll need it.

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"Me and Raiyo are here on some clan business. I need to talk politics with the those bright young Dastana twins. And maybe the Rora afterwards. Depends on how things work out." Robalta said the last with a bit of frown. She disliked the state of things in the Empire, especially whatever row had happened between the Rora and dear Relisai. Now Robalta needed to follow the Warden's advice and that mean't seeking Relisai's freedom.

She smiled again.

"But seeing as Raiyo has never been to Sado, and it's been years since I've been here myself, we were hoping to find a little fun too. But who knows that will happen? Oh, I'm sorry again, what were your names?"

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

[iki, Geyser Field]

Despite myself, I sort of liked the Toroshu’s sister.

::Now why would I do that?:: I sent back. ::Alone on an island with a lapdog and two first sons--some dasaka would kill for that.::

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Ic:

Considering how Jiyu was still here, he was probably going to stay now.

"In regards to your question, they didn't say. They called us heretic, unbelievers, apostates (the usual) and tried killing us. Then their comrade fled and used a Tryna to temporarily raise her companions from the dead. Then Toroshu Nihonei and I dismembered them. If we encounter any more of these... Assassins, I suggest dismembering them as well. While we know there's at least one of them with a mask of reanimation, there may be others... And we never learned the mask powers of the other two assassins before they died. For all we know, all of them wear Tryna, and if there's more..."

Jiyu left it up to Kulrik's significantly weaker mind to finish the statement.

IC:

"Some sort of cult is involved then? And one that's just a little bit sick, too....well, let's hope that's all we have to deal with while finding the rest of the Keys."

Kulrik got a proper look at Jiyu now, including the scarf Shuuan was using to - badly - bandage his arm.

"You'll have to take of that as soon as we get back" Kulrik grunted. "Wouldn't want it to get infected, or for your your arms to match your eyes, now would we?" The Vilda First Son actually thought it might be a good idea. And why was Shuuan tending to the big oaf? For all they knew Kulrik had hit head and suffered a concussion when he fall to the ground. And they all knew where HIS loyalties lay. Shuuan should be over here looking after him, even with that vexing attitude and those ridiculous words that came out of her mouth and...

Kulrik breathed hard.

"Ok, so let's assume these cultists wouldn't just attack us out of the blue, which means we must be close to the next Key. Really close. But since we don't know exactly what we're looking for, the search could take a while, so let's try to be smart about this. The sword told us to come here, it's a Key to the power and a key to the next location. Maybe..." He raised an eyebrow, his thoughts unspoken.

Kulrik unpacked the blade and removed it from its sheathe. It still surprised him how heavy it was, requiring two hands for proper use though it looked like a common enough sword. He swung it against the ground. As usual, the stone set in it's centre glowed red.

Less than hundred yards off a column of water erupted from a geyser, dyed green from a light source below. 

He smiled. "Looks like things might be getting hot."

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC: (Maripi)

Maripi shook her head almost imperceptably , catching Askha's eye. This stranger wasn't knowing her name..for now at least. In the criminal underworld there were certain things attached to her name that she would rather Robalta didn't know.

Kathok

IC: Somei nodded, smiling. "That seems most advantageous. It would be an opportunity to see the actual palace; I haven't been there for so long. I am Somei, I travel the Archipelago renewing Mashtet carvings, since I'm the only one who can that's left. This is Askha," she said, gesturing to the Menti, who slightly bowed. "She was the highest ranking among us, so now she leads us. And we also have-"

"Kavin-" Askha blurted in, thinking of the first word to enter her head: the vicious rahi that had been her mother's nickname for her. "Kavina. That's her name."

Raiyo was simultaenously fascinated and frightened. She remembered some of the rumors she had heard about Clan Mashtet: rituals to Zataka to replenish their clan. Maybe she could find out the mystery from these three...