Official Greg Compendium

I'm a little confused, however, about his response to the Toa Hagah question -- can I get a second opinion on what he means? Did they have those masks as Matoran, or as pre-Hagah Toa?

He's saying the mask powers they have now, they had matoran versions of them. After they became toa hagah, they were given new masks with different shapes, but with the same powers (take Norik's for example)

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Does that mean that Zyglak are made of protodermis, and that protodermis can destroy itself? Weird. 

I'm not sure what you mean about destroying themselves or it being weird, but yes, they're made of protodermis, like "everything", including Krana (and since they're made accidentally by the same process that made Krana...).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Does that mean that Zyglak are made of protodermis, and that protodermis can destroy itself? Weird. 

I'm not sure what you mean about destroying themselves or it being weird, but yes, they're made of protodermis, like "everything", including Krana (and since they're made accidentally by the same process that made Krana...).

She's saying that it's weird that they're made from protodermis, yet they carry a disease that destroys organic protodermis, (even though for some reason they're not affected.)

Edited by Iron_Man5

Formerly Iron_Man5

She. And I figured, but I don't like to put words in people's mouths. The explanation is simple -- they have an immunity to the disease, and only they have that immunity. That isn't weird -- normal-matter beings in real life often have immunities to diseases they can be carriers of, without needing to be made of a totally different type of matter. :P

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

That's not what I said, actually. :P I was observing that Zyglak disease is now protodermic, and protodermis can be made to destroy itself on a molecular level: protodermis can attack itself. (Just like real life matter, apparently...) I tend to think matter differences play a bigger role in the Bionicle universe, with destruction being associated with antidermis, so this makes proto a bit more normal. :shrugs:   

Although it's not confirmed whether the disease can be revived along with the Zyglak, so I guess I shouldn't be jumping to conclusions. This probably means that Krana can be revived, but we already knew that.  

• Upvote 1

Ooh, now there are some interesting tidbits in this post...

1. Greg seems to be coming around to the idea that Lesovikk's team may have been disintegrated. However, he's sticking to "if" phrasing for now, and hasn't confirmed it. (He also reinforced some details about who gets revived and who doesn't.)

1) Could you confirm whether ot not the remainder of Lesovikk's team is on the Red Star?

1) If they were disintegrated, as seems likely, then they could not be revived because there needs to be a body to teleport.

2. Velika made sure to kill Karzahni and Tren Krom in gruesome ways to cause fear and panic.

6) Kopaka made a point in The Powers That Be that the murders of Karzahni and Tren Krom were especially gruesome, as if their was a meaning behind it or a hidden clue. Can you say what that was?

6) Yes. Velika was looking to cause fear and panic, which he would then position himself as the person to quell.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Bs01 mentions that Su-Matoran have resistance to bright light, not heat resistance.

So which is it?

It's both. The bright light was the original ability mentioned by Greg, and more recently, some LMB posters convinced him that it didn't make sense for them not to have heat resistance.

I thought I changed all the relevant pages to include both resistances. Where did you read that they only have resistance to bright light? That needs to be fixed.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

At long, long last, we finally have a resolution to the First Toa Team conundrum: they were disintegrated.

Did the Zyglak disintegrate Lesovikk's team?

Since they were armed with weapons that disintegrate, it would make sense that they used them, so yes.

On one level, it's a shame that these characters are permanently dead. But I'm pleased to have this loose end finally wrapped up, because the alternate explanation was utterly ridiculous.

*simultaneous rejoicing/mourning*

• Upvote 3
-- Harlan Ellison

Yay! Logic has won!

*realizes he's cheering deaths... is officially disturbed lol*

I mean... that is so sad! :P

*goes off to add another clarifying note to retelling version...* (Thankfully the way I wrote it, it won't need changed, heh.)

Of course, it is possible the Toa could dodge the spears and die some other way, but the "hesitated an instant" part for Lesovikk strongly implied sudden deaths, and making a wind a split second earlier to blow the spears away would fit well what he would know he should have done.

• Upvote 3

At long, long last, we finally have a resolution to the First Toa Team conundrum: they were disintegrated.

Did the Zyglak disintegrate Lesovikk's team?

Since they were armed with weapons that disintegrate, it would make sense that they used them, so yes.

On one level, it's a shame that these characters are permanently dead. But I'm pleased to have this loose end finally wrapped up, because the alternate explanation was utterly ridiculous.

*simultaneous rejoicing/mourning*

It feels strange to be cheering the fact that the entire first Toa team (barring Lesovikk) is dead, but I have to admit, that was what I wanted. Any other explanation made little sense, and this way the emotional power of Lesovikk's guilt and tragedy remains intact. Good call, Greg.

Ooh, now there are some interesting tidbits in this post...

1. Greg seems to be coming around to the idea that Lesovikk's team may have been disintegrated. However, he's sticking to "if" phrasing for now, and hasn't confirmed it. (He also reinforced some details about who gets revived and who doesn't.)

1) Could you confirm whether ot not the remainder of Lesovikk's team is on the Red Star?

1) If they were disintegrated, as seems likely, then they could not be revived because there needs to be a body to teleport.

2. Velika made sure to kill Karzahni and Tren Krom in gruesome ways to cause fear and panic.

6) Kopaka made a point in The Powers That Be that the murders of Karzahni and Tren Krom were especially gruesome, as if their was a meaning behind it or a hidden clue. Can you say what that was?

6) Yes. Velika was looking to cause fear and panic, which he would then position himself as the person to quell.

Those were my questions. You could tell from the first one I was trying to solve the First Toa Team question, But Greg still avoided confirming it then  :P   

The reason I asked the third question was to determine whether people like Guardian or Sidorak would still be alive, since it's highly possible their heads were destroyed. In my original post I actually explicitly asked him if the aforementioned two were revived in that same question, but he edited it out when he answered :P  Unless the "no" is for that too? I don't know.

• Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

There seems to be some misunderstanding about my answer. Let me clarify:

1) Back when we were doing BIONICLE comics, they were on the same production schedule as the magazine. So when I say we are working on the first issue for 2015, I am referring to LEGO Magazine and LEGO Club Jr. magazine.

2) We are not currently working on a BIONICLE comic.

Gah. So there's no Bionicle comic.

On the other hand, he did not explicitly state that Bionicle is not returning... Look at the second question's answer.

Hm.........

They are not currently working on BIONICLE comics....

• Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Also see here

coolcab1 wrote:
Hi Greg I have one more question
1) are the Great Beings just gonna stay hidden and also can a Great Being be killed
Thanks for answering wink.png

1) At this point, the original story is not moving forward, so yes
2) Yes

And here's something for a recent discussion: 

Shougun70 wrote:

ToaFeron wrote:
hi, Mr. Farshtey! i had a question- in bionicle, did Hewkii and Macku have an intimate relationship? i ask this because i have always believed that they did, and i just wanted some confirmation.

thank you very much for your time,
                                                                Toa Feron         

In MNOG, the Bohrok Animations, and MNOGII, Maku and Huki have what is clear as day love for each other. Since then, however, Greg ruled their relationship uncanon, stating that beings in the MAtoran Universe are incapable of love beyond that of a friend caring about a friend (despite the fact that these two "friends" nearly kissed). I would like to ask why you decided to make it non-canon after it being canon for years.

Simple. What was in the online  games was not approved by the story team, nor was there ever anything in story bibles saying these characters had this relationship. So it was not "canon." It was done to add some characterization into the game, but logically it made no sense, so I felt no obligation to maintain something that was illogical.

Edited by fishers64

kyle7475 wrote:

6) Organic protodermis (abbreviated as OP) technically isn't actually organic matter, right? As far as we know, OP:

-Does not require nutrition, only "energy" 

-Regenerates far more quickly, than actual organic tissue, as indicated by the Toa Mata

-Does not have a cellular structure, as indicated by the MU inhabitants' lack of a circulatory system

-Can seamlessly assimilate mechanical structures such as gears and pistons into their framework

Therefore, isn't "Organic" protodermis simply protodermis mimicking biology, rather than actually being it? 

6) Yes, I can see that

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/page/379

Edited by graywolf89

Thank you to fishers64 for asking these questions in my stead (I have been having technical difficulties with logging on to the LMB, but I intend to have them fixed soon). The following information is of note to me:

1. The Toa Hagah wore the same masks as Matoran.

1. Re-asking for clarification: did the Toa Hagah wear the same masks as Matoran? (e.g. did Norik wear a Pehkui, did Iruini wear a Kualsi, etc.)

1) Yes

2. The Brotherhood of Makuta did not practice execution by disintegration.

2. This is a record-keeping question for BS01. Our lists have a lot of miscellaneous Toa, Matoran, etc. who were killed by the Brotherhood of Makuta (for example, the Nynrah Ghosts who sabotaged the Fohrok, and various Toa they’ve killed). The Red Star reveal causes me to wonder: did the Brotherhood usually carry out execution by disintegration, thus meaning the characters killed by them are deceased and not revived? Or were they less thorough?

2) Less thorough. Once you have been killed by a Makuta, it is not an experience you want to repeat, so you tend to be more circumspect

I also tried to resolve that whole mess with the revival device in Mask of Light, and tried to confirm that Miserix created the Kanohi Dragon, but unfortunately, Greg didn't have answers for either of those questions. Oh, well.

-- Harlan Ellison

Greg's response concerning the Brotherhood's executions is odd, to say the least. So the Brotherhood's reasoning was: "We want to put an end to troublesome activity by our enemies, so let's kill them in an excruciatingly painful manner, which will nonetheless allow for their revival. That way, they won't want to die at our hands again, and will hopefully stay out of trouble."

Surely a non-reversible execution would preclude beyond all doubt repeated trouble-making by the executed enemy?

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Greg's response concerning the Brotherhood's executions is odd, to say the least. So the Brotherhood's reasoning was: "We want to put an end to troublesome activity by our enemies, so let's kill them in an excruciatingly painful manner, which will nonetheless allow for their revival. That way, they won't want to die at our hands again, and will hopefully stay out of trouble."

Surely a non-reversible execution would preclude beyond all doubt repeated trouble-making by the executed enemy?

The question did say "did the Brotherhood usually carry out execution by disintegration". Maybe Greg took that part literally? And disintegration would still be used when they actually did want to remove the threat beyond all doubt?

The question did say "did the Brotherhood usually carry out execution by disintegration". Maybe Greg took that part literally? And disintegration would still be used when they actually did want to remove the threat beyond all doubt?

But surely the usual purpose of execution is to quell crime or dissent? If the Brotherhood did not want to remove the threat beyond all doubt, why bother killing them? If the purpose was to make an example whilst not permanently killing the prisoner, why grant him a reprieve from his suffering by temporarily killing him and sending his body to be repaired or replaced on the Red Star?

On a side note: What is BS01's basis for saying that Gaardus' transformation occurred "Over 80,000 years ago?"

gZsNWyr.png

But if in fact they knew originally that it wasn't permanent, then it wouldn't be execution in the sense that we mean by that term in real life. :) We, too, have degrees of punishment. But we're also not evil beings who like to torment people and then let them go... I can definitely see Makuta doing that.

On a side note: What is BS01's basis for saying that Gaardus' transformation occurred "Over 80,000 years ago?"

That comes from this quote from the old OGD:

Do you know approximately how many years ago Gaardus was mutated by the Nynrah Ghosts?

Quite a long time ago, actually. Pre-Barraki rebellion

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

I'm quite sure they used disintegration every so often...

"The challenge of being a Makuta is choosing which powers to use to destroy your enemies. It gets boring using the same ones all the time. Variety is the spice of destruction, after all."

— Makuta Antroz, Shadows in the Sky

Just a hunch though.... :)

Edited by Iron_Man5

Formerly Iron_Man5

The Brotherhood of Makuta did not practice execution by disintegration.

2. This is a record-keeping question for BS01. Our lists have a lot of miscellaneous Toa, Matoran, etc. who were killed by the Brotherhood of Makuta (for example, the Nynrah Ghosts who sabotaged the Fohrok, and various Toa they’ve killed). The Red Star reveal causes me to wonder: did the Brotherhood usually carry out execution by disintegration, thus meaning the characters killed by them are deceased and not revived? Or were they less thorough?

2) Less thorough. Once you have been killed by a Makuta, it is not an experience you want to repeat, so you tend to be more circumspect

I read this as saying that the brotherhood didn't know about the red star, and that anyone revived was to scared to reveal their survival to the brotherhood.

• Upvote 3

But if in fact they knew originally that it wasn't permanent, then it wouldn't be execution in the sense that we mean by that term in real life. :) We, too, have degrees of punishment. But we're also not evil beings who like to torment people and then let them go... I can definitely see Makuta doing that.

But if the execution was not permanent, then it was merely a reprieve from punishment. Surely the kind of torture from which the victim gets immediate relief is a rather ineffective type? Torture is a means of coercion or determent. Surely either of these would be harder to achieve when the victim feels as if he has never been tortured the next time he wakes up?

EDIT:

@@N.S.M.8 That's an interesting point. It hadn't occurred to me, but it makes sense. The question assumed that the Brotherhood knew of the Red Star revival system, but it's possible that Greg did not. Someone should definitely ask him for a clearer answer.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

But if the execution was not permanent, then it was merely a reprieve from punishment.

Indeed.

After which a lot of people wouldn't want further punishment. :P

Some would undoubtedly get a sense of a need for revenge, but it's possible the Makuta (with mind reading abilities after all) would be able to tell who would be likely to do that in many cases. (Again, if they knew.)

Surely the kind of torture from which the victim gets immediate relief is a rather ineffective type? Torture is a means of coercion or determent.

Isn't that what Greg said? (Part I bolded.)

I would think dying would be pretty bad torture, you know?

• Upvote 1

After which a lot of people wouldn't want further punishment. :P

Some would undoubtedly get a sense of a need for revenge, but it's possible the Makuta (with mind reading abilities after all) would be able to tell who would be likely to do that in many cases. (Again, if they knew.)

Isn't that what Greg said? (Part I bolded.)

I would think dying would be pretty bad torture, you know?

No, I do not think dying is an effective torture. One must be alive to experience pain. And awakening in a fresh body severely detracts from the psychological impact of the torture.

Why not let your prisoner live and suffer while his body and mind heal?

gZsNWyr.png

Well, as you're dying, you feel the pain of it, no? And there's the psychological effect (of the actual death, and knowledge that you died).

• Upvote 1

Well, as you're dying, you feel the pain of it, no? And there's the psychological effect (of the actual death, and knowledge that you died).

However, death is not necessary for pain. In fact, I would imagine that much more pain can be inflicted by non-fatal blows. As for psychology, I would think that waking up in a fresh body, out of the clutches of one's tormentors, after experiencing much pain, would be a great relief.

gZsNWyr.png

Sure, but just being released without being killed would be more of a relief. Knowing you'd actually died... that's gotta affect you, no?

• Upvote 1

Sure, but just being released without being killed would be more of a relief. Knowing you'd actually died... that's gotta affect you, no?

No, provided death is akin to being operated on whilst under anesthesia. If you are released battered and bruised, you are going to give a good deal more thought to what you went through, since the pain continues.

gZsNWyr.png

Well, let's just agree to disagree, okay? This topic is meant primarily for quotes, not extended discussion. I think I've made my point pretty clear at this point. Just try to put yourself in the proverbial shoes of somebody who actually dies and comes back, versus the lighter version.

If anyone wants my two cents*, I think this is kind of a silly discussion to be having. If the Makuta didn't execute by disintegration, that means one of three things:

1. They didn't know about the Red Star at all.

2. They knew about the Red Star, but figured dying once would be enough to dissuade subjects from disobeying again.

3. They knew both about the Red Star's function and about its malfunction, and killed people sloppily because they knew the revived would be stuck on the Red Star.

Tren Krom's knowledge almost definitely included the Red Star (as seen in The Powers That Be), and would have been relayed from Mutran to Teridax at least, so we can assume Option 1 is incorrect. Option 2 is bonesiii's hypothesis. However, I vote for Option 3. Even though the Makuta knew that the Red Star was reviving people, they would have observed early on that those people were not returning to the Matoran Universe. Thus, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to conclude that any method of execution was valid, since anyone revived by the Red Star wasn't coming back down.

* (Oops - bonesiii posted the above as I was composing mine. Sorry to drag the discussion out any further.)

Edited by Yaldabaoth
-- Harlan Ellison

@Yaldabaoth I believe we were discussing the Brotherhood prior to the Star's malfunction, under the assumption that everyone who died was revived and, consequently, everyone knew about the Star's functions. Mind you, it's a point that I'm not entirely convinced of, but which I was accepting for the sake of argument.

@Bonesii Fair enough. Though for the record, I was putting myself in the proverbial shoes, I just came to different conclusion than you did.

gZsNWyr.png

Plus, most of that time period would be before the TK reveal to Mutran, so the question would be if they knew of the RS through other means. I was thinking maybe they originally executed people without knowing about it, found out through dead people being found alive, and it was too institutionalized to completely overhaul, plus the motive thing Greg mentioned would make it work enough.

Maybe 'twould just be best to ask Greg to clarify what time period he meant, etc.

• Upvote 1

Well, we do have a living example in the story of what it's like to come back from death: Jaller. Based on the 2006 books, he never fully recovered from his death back in Mask of Light. It was what Karzahni went for to torture him so he can hand over his mask, and the memory of the experience haunted and paralyzed him at crucial moments.

Just thought I'd mention it since no one brought it up.

• Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Well, we do have a living example in the story of what it's like to come back from death: Jaller. Based on the 2006 books, he never fully recovered from his death back in Mask of Light. It was what Karzahni went for to torture him so he can hand over his mask, and the memory of the experience haunted and paralyzed him at crucial moments.

Just thought I'd mention it since no one brought it up.

Actually, Karzahni tortured him by showing him a reality in which he didn't die for Takua.

Also, his death is not a relevant example, as by that point the Red Star had malfunctioned and was out of common knowledge (if it had ever been there in the first place.) But as Bonesii said, this shouldn't become a discussion thread, so I'm leaving the matter here.

gZsNWyr.png

Do we actually know if the RS ever worked properly? Could the malfunction have been a design flaw that became immediately apparent after the Shattering and only the GBs and TK ever knew what it was supposed to do? Otherwise, why did teleporters not periodically mount rescue missions for their allies?

• Upvote 1

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

Do we actually know if the RS ever worked properly? Could the malfunction have been a design flaw that became immediately apparent after the Shattering and only the GBs and TK ever knew what it was supposed to do? Otherwise, why did teleporters not periodically mount rescue missions for their allies?

It is possible that nobody with teleportation powers died in the early days of the MU. Or perhaps dying made for disorientation so the teleporting beings didn't know what happened.