Bionicle- Nova Orbis (new world)

NickonAquaMagna

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry guys, I can only do so much.

Like... okay, here's where I'm at right now. I've been working non stop lately on a book that I want to publish... when not spending time with family, anyway, cause you know, it's summer and that's what you should do during the summer. As for the book, though, as you can imagine, it's not related to this Nova Orbis in any way. It's been sucking up so much of my time, that I haven't even worked on any videos since my review of the summer wave about two months ago.

I have a few chapters of the next story written up, but... look, there's no way I can juggle this, and videos, and my own original project. I'd basically have to set aside one of these things and not work on it at all for the rest of the year. In order to finish the next story, I need to not work on videos. In order to finish any videos, I can't give myself time to work on this. It normally wouldn't be that way, but because I've been working on this next big thing all the while, this super secret project I want to publish that IS ultimately much, much more important than either of these other two things.... urgh, it's starting to drive me crazy. I don't know what I'm "supposed" to do, and when people ask me "when's the next review coming out?" or "When's the next chapter of Nova Orbis coming out?" it... well, I wouldn't say it "triggers" me, but it does provoke a reaction, it does make me feel like "Dangit, please stop asking! I'm not your puppet on strings! I can't do all of this at once!" It's become a huge stresser.

I'm sorry guys... I'll try to get this underway very soon. If I'm not able to, then I'm not able to. I mean... I guess I could just stop working on my own book for a while, but that wouldn't be right, would it?

Edited by NickonAquaMagna
  • Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Put it on hold. Wait with it for now and focus on your book and family. Nova Orbis is a great and exciting story that I am eager to see resolved, but it's worth waiting on if that means you don't push yourself too hard. I look forward to finding out what this book of yours is about.

• 2 weeks later...

Big changes are coming to Nova Orbis.

Up until now, I've uploaded chapters in a certain format, which you can see here, in the folders for the first two books.

http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/gallery/47149391/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis

I may have to stop this. Reasons why...

It's hard for some computers to load. These files are GIGANTIC, and some people may have trouble loading them. Heck, once or twice I've had to shrink a chapter's file because it exceeded DA's limitations.

The text is hard to read. That's what several people have told me, anyway. Be it because they have a small screen or some other reason, the "ideal" font size I've used for most of these chapters just makes reading them harder for some people than, say, the text you're reading now.

It's time consuming, and I don't have that much time. Yeah, this one is more about me. Writing the chapter down is easy enough. That I can do in, like, a day. Even making the illustrations isn't that huge of a deal. Gluing it all together, though, adds several hours and is reeeeeeeally taxing on my computer. I've stuck with this formula so far because I figured it'd make my work stand out, but... eh. It might not be that smart to keep using this format.

So, here's a few changes I'm considering.

Illustrations have to be cut down. Sorry guys, but I just don't have time to make, like, ten or so illustrations for each chapter. More like 3 or 4, 5 at most. You should have a pretty good idea of what Miro Nui and its denizens look like by now, and as much as I like drawing dem action scenes... again, there's only so much time in a day.

I think I'll upload the images together, as a collage of sorts, to DA, like preview images (might be a little spoilery, but I guess that can't be helped) and make each written chapter a stash file and provide a link to that in the description of the image upload, and in the thread on BZP. If I run out of space and have to keep the text somewhere else, I'll just link to that. One of the great things about this is I could just edit the text if need be without having to click and drag the images around in a giant TIFF file.

Anyway.... yeah, I want to continue this story, but I've gotta find a smarter way to go about it, and this may be it.

That's all for now, I guess. I hope people are okay with this.

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

My suggestion would be to just write it out, then post it straight to BZP, with the individual drawings inserted wherever they need to go. Like some of the COA series I've seen on here, where both text and panel are present in the post. That way, you only have to upload the panels on their own, and all the text goes in your post. Much simpler. :)

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

My suggestion would be to just write it out, then post it straight to BZP, with the individual drawings inserted wherever they need to go. Like some of the COA series I've seen on here, where both text and panel are present in the post. That way, you only have to upload the panels on their own, and all the text goes in your post. Much simpler. :)

Maybe. I'll still have to insert a link to the chapter in the opening post of the thread so that people don't have to scroll through all this to find it, though.

Maybe. I'll still have to insert a link to the chapter in the opening post of the thread so that people don't have to scroll through all this to find it, though.

That part's easy. It's the best format I can think of right now, giving you the least amount of hassle possible.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaaaaaand we're back! The Journey to Caelum has begun!

preview_1_by_nickinamerica-dadcogk.jpg

More illustrations >> http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-Journey-to-Caelum-Chapter-1-627088509

Text >> http://sta.sh/020qukn0o17m

All Chapters of Journey to Caelum >> http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/gallery/59955907/Devious-Folder

Nova Orbis general >> http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/gallery/47149391/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis

Hopefully this format will make things easier on myself and viewers in the future.

One of my favorite things about Amnesia- The Dark Descent is picking up Daniel's journal entries, along with writings from various other characters written down over hundreds of years, and piecing together this big layered mystery. It's really gripping stuff, and I was always on the lookout for more journals.

This is the feel I'm going to give the first few chapters of this story. It's mostly going to be Voima recovering various accounts of the Manibus' last days (Venti's is the longest and most fleshed out), piecing together what happened, and then we'll move on to see where the Toa Miro and the Matoran have ended up.

That's it for today! Enjoy.

Aww yeah, Nova Orbis is BACK, baby!

So, about the new chapter... It was amazing! I loved the suspense and mystery behind it, and it just makes me beg to know more about what's going on. It seems like Voima is trying to discourage the Miro from finding something... Plus, when are those venators you teased a while back going to show up?

Anyway, Good start, and I'm looking forward to what's going to unfold!

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

(I'll do this eventually, I swear...)

My BZPRPG Characters

Corpus Rahkshi Characters: Kol Arsenal Swarm Amalgamation

Skyrise Characters: Zavon

Going to try to have chapter two online in a couple of days.

Anyone remember this? http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-The-Sky-of-Nova-Orbis-499429547

So yeah, just where exactly Nova Orbis IS is something I've wanted to touch upon for a while. All I've revealed so far is that its home galaxy is currently colliding with another one. One idea I had is that the Solis Magna system is in the Andromeda galaxy, which will eventually merge with ours, and Nova Orbis is in... well, this one, the Milky Way galaxy.

I dunno if I'm gonna go down that route, though. I'm sure there are a few who LOVE the idea of Bionicle characters meeting modern day humans like them, but I've always thought that sort of story would be poison. Saronicle's "Brutaka's Game" is a good take on the idea, though, where humans get teleported to Aqua Magna. What I really don't like is the Toa coming to our earth, and interacting with us in the society we have now.

The closest Nova Orbis would ever come to that is if it's, like, hundreds of millions of years from now, and Caelum is really the reformed Pangea Ultima or something like that. The great beings are not human, and neither is the species native to Nova Orbis, more like some other species that rose up and took our place after we became extinct.

I did contemplate hinting that at some earlier point in their evolutionary history, they may've had nipples and functioning mammaries, but have since lost that trait and become less mammal-like... which would SORT of hint that these are some bizarre, extremely distant descendants of humans, but again, I'm not sure I like that idea, now.

I'm not really sure what the nature of Nova Orbis and its people should be. They just sort of exist. Of course I know how the story is going to play out, I'm just talking about subtext, the background stuff, "What does it meeean?" I just felt like being transparent with you guys about this.

Chapter 2 is online, guys. >> http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-JtC-Chapter-2-Perspectives-629875679

jtcch2pre_by_nickinamerica-daf0grh.jpg

This chapter is a little shorter than the last one. We hear things from a few more perspectives this time, but none of them have that much to tell us that Venti didn't already. As such, there aren't as many illustrations this time. Still, this and the next chapter were some of my favorites to write. Chapter 3 will take this story to new places... literally.

Feedback is appreciated. Like, really.

Sorry, my life has been under siege by Malkhar/college applications/procrastination, that and I started reading Psuedo Sapien (love it, BTW).  I meant to read these earlier, now I got around to it - anyhow.  Love it.  I actually didn't look at the illustrations too closely, just dived into the journal entries.

Right now, it seems... decent.  I know things are going south for the crew (perhaps literally? *is shot for pun*), but the Toa Miro seem to be... well, still on the good side.  Perhaps they can't stand to be around each other for extended periods of time, but they haven't turned on the Matoran.

Voima's still my favorite character... even though I have no idea what she actually is.  Skakdi of Shadow?  I don't know.  She's a boss, that's what she is =P

*is shot again*

But still.  Why didn't the Turaga or the Ba-Matoran say anything?  They knew of the natives' existence, they had a good idea they hated them.  Why didn't the Ba-Matoran try to warn anyone, even if they knew they were sailing into a trap?

I'm intrigued and definitely want more.  Nice work.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Sorry, my life has been under siege by Malkhar/college applications/procrastination, that and I started reading Psuedo Sapien (love it, BTW).  I meant to read these earlier, now I got around to it - anyhow.  Love it.  I actually didn't look at the illustrations too closely, just dived into the journal entries.

But still.  Why didn't the Turaga or the Ba-Matoran say anything?  They knew of the natives' existence, they had a good idea they hated them.  Why didn't the Ba-Matoran try to warn anyone, even if they knew they were sailing into a trap?

Ugh, that comic... there are so many things wrong with most of my older work, both in terms of the art and pacing, I can't look at it without feeling some level of shame, Now. I think Metroid Revival is the point where my work finally started getting decent.

Also, that will be addressed in later chapters.

Ugh, that comic... there are so many things wrong with most of my older work, both in terms of the art and pacing, I can't look at it without feeling some level of shame, Now. I think Metroid Revival is the point where my work finally started getting decent.

Also, that will be addressed in later chapters.

No need to be hard on yourself, man, it's miles beyond what I could do =P

Still... those Ba-Matoran, they're either really cunning, insane, or just plain weird.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3- Skakdi is online. http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/art/Bionicle-Nova-Orbis-JtC-Chapter-3-Skakdi-632290840

vezon_by_nickinamerica-dagfsw8.jpg

Guess who's back! Haha! Yeah, I wasn't sure how to handle this reveal, and we're still pretty early in this particular story, but at least now we get a glimpse of what's happening on Piras' side. We get to see his face, and we get to see Vezon's face, which was reeeeally fun to draw. I wanted to give him a feel, so that's what's with the gold tooth and the weird ridges on his lips being drawn as earrings.

Also, I hereby decree that everyone reading this MUST use Mark Hamill's Joker voice in their heads for Vezon's dialog.  Like... I dunno, around the time of Return of The Joker, not quite as gravely as he is lately.

Also, in case anyone's forgotten, Seers are Matoran (and animals) who are essentially walking cameras the Caelumiens use to spy on the other former M.U. residents, the Seers themselves usually being unaware.

But how the heck did Vezon get here? What's with those scars on the back of his head? And just how LONG has he been here?

Speculate in the comments below! The answers to this mystery will be revealed in time, but not for a while.

Also, what do you think of Pruinae as a name?

That's it for today. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hey, did you notice some MASSIVE date conflicts within chapters? Some entries seem to be wr

Tten hundreds of years before the others. Other than that I really like the direction you're going with these new chapters. Keep it up!

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

No, it's just that the Caelumian calendar was started waaaaaaay before the Matoran's new calender. Their society goes back a long time before the Matoran settled here.

In the second chapter one of the logs is dated 2166 while the other Toa logs are dated 6122. And voima's logs seem to be 89 years in the future.

Edited by Toa Aeron

No, it's just that the Caelumian calendar was started waaaaaaay before the Matoran's new calender. Their society goes back a long time before the Matoran settled here.

In the second chapter one of the logs is dated 2166 while the other Toa logs are dated 6122. And voima's logs seem to be 89 years in the future.

Whoops! I got the 6 and the 2 mixed up, there! Oh man... could you point out the instance where that happened? And yeah, sorry. These dates are so hard to keep up with.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but...where's the chapter? I can't find a link to the actual text on the DA page. Like, the previous 2 chapters had a link to your sta.sh in the description, but this doesn't. I'M SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Woah... that's weird. I swear it was in the description, earlier. I must've accidentally removed the link when I edited the description during the day.

Here it is, people! Hopefully this won't happen again! Here's the text!

http://sta.sh/0zekdn5vh31

• Upvote 1

Interesting story, I do see two things I don't like though, you are implying that matoran are different genders due to physiological differences.

There gender is mental programing, not physical genitalia.

Furthermore all residents of the previous matoran universe live t'ill they are killed, and even then can be revived by the red star, assuming there programing is intact and functional.

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.

Interesting story, I do see two things I don't like though, you are implying that matoran are different genders due to physiological differences.

Furthermore all residents of the previous matoran universe live t'ill they are killed, and even then can be revived by the red star, assuming there programing is intact and functional.

Residents of the old matoran universe don't have infinite life spans. And besides, I don't even think that the red star is functional anymore.

These Matoran are very different. There's still a few from our generation kicking, like Ahkmou, at the start of the story. Most of the other characters, these modern, more organic Matoran, were created sometime between the end of the serials and the beginning of this series. They're basically a combination of Matoran and Agori, not "reproduced," just modeled after Agori anatomy to some degree, with the hardiness and durability of a Matoran's body. Although I've never delved into this in the story, no, the Matoran alive now still aren't anatomically correct enough to make babies. They do need to go to the bathroom, thanks to their more complex digestive systems, but the "exits" are.... much simpler than on most life forms, we'll say. They aren't that far along yet.

So no, Matoran do not breed. Perhaps someday, a new "generation" will be created that will be advanced enough to breed new Matoran on their own, at which point they'd be fully alive, but not this batch.

I will be explaining exactly how these modern Matoran were made in next year's story.

You really should bring back more characters from the original canon, or at least the newest Toa we know about, named Krakua, and please make some references to the Toa code and have Vezon call one of the other planets with MU inhabitants and have them fix the red star and bring back more classic characters like Tahu or Lessovik or SOMETHING

As you can probably tell I am a huge Bionicle knerd, I know literally EVERYTHING about the G1 line due to a site dedicated to everything Bionicle called Biosector01.com, here is the link:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You have to type it in yourself though, sorry

Never mind didn't see that it worked while I was typing it

Oh and BTW, the original canon said they where really alive, but where made of a substance called Protodermis which could arrange itself into similar ways as our cells do, also they where made of organic AND inorganic Protodermis, the latter could repair the former on it's own if it decayed, and thus lived 'till they where killed, and it was revealed that it was only the red star's teleportation system that was broken and the Kestora on board where to dim-witted to fix it, and if the Agori and Matoran did leave the planet, I would imagine that some would have left on the red star.

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.

Well, sure, I'll bring back or at least reference a few characters eventually, but.... why? Like, if I bring back too many of the old characters, how will the new ones have enough focus? The only reason I brought Vezon back was cause he's this weird variable that'll put a wrench in almost anyone's plans by nature, and he's one of those types I figured most of the other characters would've forgotten about long ago. Well, that and I just found the mental image of him in a prison... kinda funny.

As for the red star, they didn't use that, but they were able to reverse engineer its technology to make new spaceships.

And as for the Matoran, I've always known they were alive. Every time someone's called them robots over the years, I've corrected them and told them "no, they have organs an' stuff." They're just, I dunno, not necessarily more alive, depending on what one classifies as life, but they are more organic than they used to be.