What Colour is Bionicle Flesh?

MU inhabitants are bio-mechanical, we all know that. But what do the organic components of MU inhabitants look like, particularly in terms of colour? I've basically started this post to ask for any canon info that I may be ignorant of.

In the original trilogy, organic components could be seen in characters (even the Vahki I think lol). I noted three distinct textures and three colour styles:

- "Brain" texture (like in Pohatu's chest armour gap: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/9/96/MoL_Pohatu_Nuva.PNG)

- Muscle texture: (Note Vakama's shoulders and knees: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Vakama.PNG)

- Wiry/Sinewy texture (alludes more to wires and hence a bio-mechanical feel. Note Vakama's joints, like his shoulder joint: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:LoMN_Toa_Metru_Vakama_With_Great_Disks.PNG)

There may be more but I've missed it/don't class variation significant enough.

In terms of colour, flesh seemed to be:

- A (sometimes lighter) version of their primary colour (Note Tahu's muscle/brainy thingy in his torso: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/d/d5/MoL_Tahu_Nuva_with_Poisoned_Hau_Nuva.png)

- Purple (Note Pohatu: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/e/e4/Movie_Toa_Nuva_Pohatu_Gali_Tahu.png)

- Grey (with the wiry muslces, look back to Toa Vakama)

Normally I imagine their flesh to be the primary colour of their armour, but the variations get me thinking.

As far as I'm aware the movies are the only sources for this kind of info, but I'd love to be proven wrong :)

Edited by NuvaTube

Generally, I draw mine with some variation of their eye color or black, but generally in the movies I recall purple. That's an interesting question though. I had never thought about it.

I always figured the "flesh" was grayish. After all, that's the color of the head and "gears" (basically a stand-in for muscles) of the Toa Mata, and the color of the heads and un-armored "skeleton" beams from the Toa Metru. And it's not far from the purplish-gray the joints and muscles of the figures in the movies tended to be.

Story-wise, things like flesh color and eye color really don't matter enough for there to be one "official" portrayal.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I generally think of it as gray, with perhaps a reddish or blueish tinge depending on element. Our muscles are gray, and since the metal is already colored, why color it?

Spherus Magnans might have variations in skin color though. If the sets/movie are anything to go by, Tesaran flesh is green, Tajun is yellow, Iconox is gray, Skall is red or black, Vorox are tan, and Vulcanus is orange.

This is one thing the movies should be taken as canon on, as it was very intentional to have them be the portrayal of the "bio in bionicle". So, it would seem it's "gray unless otherwise 'painted' or elementally colored".

As for the texture, I would guess that the "brain" texture is actually lungs (outer surface), while the others are all muscle. The more "wirey" one is just the same as the other one you called muscle-like but stronger for a Toa than a Matoran.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Our muscles are gray, and since the metal is already colored, why color it?

Real muscles are grey? Really? I mean, I know we usually see them when they still have some blood in them so they look red, but even without blood I wouldn't imagine them as actually being grey. Source?

This is one thing the movies should be taken as canon on, as it was very intentional to have them be the portrayal of the "bio in bionicle". So, it would seem it's "gray unless otherwise 'painted' or elementally colored".

As for the texture, I would guess that the "brain" texture is actually lungs (outer surface), while the others are all muscle. The more "wirey" one is just the same as the other one you called muscle-like but stronger for a Toa than a Matoran.

Yeah but they messed up other bits of canon (The Rahkshi bodies and Vahki had organic components even though they should be mechanical, except for the Rahkshi Kraata), so...

Any ideas on what may make flesh "elementally coloured", or purple? And why are we assuming grey is the default? I actually usually imagined them as having purple flesh, but I got conflicted when I would draw a bionicle and purple just went horribly in their colour palette and I'd think "what if it could be another colour...wait...what would it actually be?" and I wondered. I guess it could be any colour, if their flesh had a pigment in it. Or, if they could be bothered, they could of course paint themselves.

I guess that those lung-brains in the Nuva chests could make them pretty vulnerable. I mean, I might be a soft squishy measly human thing, but at least I've got a rib cage around my most vital organs - it would feel a bit vulnerable if my organs were partly exposed like that. Meh, I guess they just trying to stay true to the sets (their gears).

*EDIT*:

And if you look, the default on Mata Nui seemed to be purple:

Takua: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Takua_Transforming.PNG,

Jaller: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/0/0a/Matoran_Jaller_with_Kanohi_Avohkii.PNG

Turaga Vakama: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/3/36/Turaga_Vakama.png

The Toa seemed to be the only exceptions (and Rahkshi lol), and only some of the time (Tahu Nuva). However, on Metru Nui, everyone seemed to usually be grey again, except for the general populous of Matoran, who were the exact same models as from Mata Nui, so I don't think they should be counted. Instead, I think we should count the only "Metruvian" Matoran: the Toa Metru as Matoran. With them they were grey, but had abdominal muscles that was their primary colour:

Vakama's abdomen is red, not grey or purple: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Vakama.PNG

Same principle with Matau: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/2/25/Matoran_Matau.PNG

And here's Toa Vakama (dat pose tho): http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/9/9e/Toa_Metru_Vakama.PNG

There were some exceptions that were Metruvian, meaning I can't ignore them. Toa Nokama's flesh was purple, and Nuju's was blue. I think this was just done because it looked nice colour wise, and it certainly gives us something to think about. Since I don't think the Metru would have had time to paint themselves, it must be pigment, I.e. their actual flesh colour.

Toa Nokama (I always thought it was funny how she looks a little disgusted; maybe Matau had just done something?): http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/9/95/Toa_Metru_Nokama.png

Toa Nuju: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/b/ba/Nuju_discovering_Ko-Metru_Great_Disk.PNG

Note in the set advert he seems to have white flesh just in between his shoulder joints (made so his shoulders could twist): http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Nuju_Metru_Set.png

Yeah...I don't think this gets us very far. It seems they can almost be whatever really, so long as it's either purple, grey, or some colour relating to their element, which is barely a rule, just a faint pattern ><

BTW, I noticed a while back that the Metru Matoran have smooth abdominal muscles, but when on Mata Nui they have built abs. I think this variation was kinda done to show that on Mata Nui all the Matoran had to do more physical work, so they all got pretty built, even the female Matoran, which i really respect Lego for doing.

Edited by NuvaTube

Real muscles are grey? Really? I mean, I know we usually see them when they still have some blood in them so they look red, but even without blood I wouldn't imagine them as actually being grey. Source?

Most of our soft tissue is a grayish colour once the blood is drained - as you said, it's our blood that gives it colour. That's why corpses/zombies are usually gray. If you're not squeamish you can easily search for pictures I guess.

Edited by Kumata

The Rahkshi bodies and Vahki had organic components even though they should be mechanical, except for the Rahkshi Kraata

I don't recall anything on Vahki, but the Rahkshi also seemed to have fibrous equivalents of muscle tissue. They were made out of entirely organic Kraata in EP, after all. Probably leftovers of biology or something similar. Although offhand all I recall for sure is clearly parts of the Kraata.

Any ideas on what may make flesh "elementally coloured", or purple?

Elemental coloring is obvious -- the traces of elemental energy that even Matoran have, or a standardized pigment. But the purple tint might be evidence of something Greg once suggested is possible but didn't exactly confirm; that instead of blood they may have some kind of lubricant. Or it could just be the lighting. :P

And why are we assuming grey is the default?

I'd call it a guess or semi-theory rather than an assumption, but protodermis's standard color appears to be gray and they are made of protodermis. Plus, like you said, gray would be a better universal match for various color schemes. Black and white would be close, esp. black, but are both more extreme and also more unlikely (and have no evidence that I'm aware of). That would leave some shade of brown, or gray. Given the evidence, gray seems more likely. The "purple" would be "due to something else", regardless of what the something else might be.

Even the purple is a grayish purple that is sometimes hard to distinguish at a glance from gray, depending on the lighting.

I guess that those lung-brains in the Nuva chests could make them pretty vulnerable. I mean, I might be a soft squishy measly human thing, but at least I've got a rib cage around my most vital organs - it would feel a bit vulnerable if my organs were partly exposed like that.

Yeah, and Vakamatoran's knees look really vulnerable too. I should add a caution that the specific armor shapes and thus vulnerability of the muscles might not be canon, but the basic internal idea should be. The movies kind of had to show bits and pieces peeking through to get across that they're biomechanical (without resorting to cutting them up and ruining the kid's movie rating), but likely "in real life" they would be entirely armored.

On the other hand, they don't have blood, and the tissue can re-grow, plus it might help for internal cooling and stuff. So unsure on that point.

Note in the set advert he seems to have white flesh just in between his shoulder joints

What do you mean? As far as I'm aware, neither sets nor the CG promo pics for the sets show biological parts, other than Krana and Kraata, until 2006. I'm guessing you're talking about the too-wide white connection between the gray parts of the shoulder (too wide for a plus-bar, that is), but that's probably just a matter of it being CG so they weren't entirely set-accurate. All I see is white, I don't see any indication that it would be flesh, and it's a non-moving part anyways (if what I'm seeing is what you meant).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think that the organics would have to be sealed up by metal casing as a point-of-fact. Unless proto (including organic proto) is resistant to vacuum. Lewa and others who were teleported outside the robot by Teridax didn't have their organics suddenly go splat. Voporak didn't dissolve in Makuta's vacuum. (Unlike us humans, which explode in vacuums.)

Anyway, there's got to be some way to get the oxygen, energy, and nutrients to those muscles. The purple stuff could just be wiring to pipe the energy in. :shrugs:

Edited by fishers64

Lewa and others who were teleported outside the robot by Teridax didn't have their organics suddenly go splat.

That actually would've been hilarious. Everyone reading expects them to be miraculously saved somehow, but nope, they just explode the instant they end up in space...

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I think that the organics would have to be sealed up by metal casing as a point-of-fact. Unless proto (including organic proto) is resistant to vacuum. Lewa and others who were teleported outside the robot by Teridax didn't have their organics suddenly go splat. Voporak didn't dissolve in Makuta's vacuum. (Unlike us humans, which explode in vacuums.)

Anyway, there's got to be some way to get the oxygen, energy, and nutrients to those muscles. The purple stuff could just be wiring to pipe the energy in. :shrugs:

I've heard contradictory claims about humans exploding in vacuums. Some stories take it for granted, but I've heard that it's possible not to, if you exhale so your lungs are empty. May we never have to find out. :P (I also heard Star Trek once got it exactly wrong by having someone have to HOLD their breath to survive...) And more to the point, that Matoran who died swimming up from compressed water to shallow water died from the equivalent, so apparently it's not accurate to say MU biomechanical beings can't die from decompression. But maybe they can't die from going from normal pressure to none.

Also, although the story didn't mention him doing anything about it, Lewa was involved in that incident and might have been making air around them to keep some pressure.

I've heard contradictory claims about humans exploding in vacuums. Some stories take it for granted, but I've heard that it's possible not to, if you exhale so your lungs are empty. May we never have to find out. :P (I also heard Star Trek once got it exactly wrong by having someone have to HOLD their breath to survive...) And more to the point, that Matoran who died swimming up from compressed water to shallow water died from the equivalent, so apparently it's not accurate to say MU biomechanical beings can't die from decompression. But maybe they can't die from going from normal pressure to none.

Also, although the story didn't mention him doing anything about it, Lewa was involved in that incident and might have been making air around them to keep some pressure.

Actually, human bodies do not explode in a vacuum at all. Your body's many layers of flesh are sturdy enough to keep your meat sack of a body intact without gravity or an atmosphere interacting with it. :D

No, instead of death by meat-splosion, you will die by oxygen deprivation. Doesn't matter how tightly you seal your lips, the air in your mouth and lungs are going to slip out of there laughing at you as it rushes for the sweet spaciousness of the vacuum. A human looses consciousness a little over a few seconds and a little after that... well, brain damage and death are going to be your long time friends.

Oh, and your saliva boils in vacuum!

Isn't science amazing?@u@

Also, muscle is generally not grey. The myoglobin in muscle tissue (the stuff that accepts oxygen from blood cells) causes it to have a reddish color (as well as mitochondria). The less myoglobin in muscle tissue equals a paler color, and more myoglobin equals the opposite. When muscle tissue is looking grey it probably indicates that it's undergoing decomposition or other processes that messes up the natural state of muscle tissue.

Just wanted to clear some things up!

sherlock4.jpeg

Actually, human bodies do not explode in a vacuum at all. Your body's many layers of flesh are sturdy enough to keep your meat sack of a body intact without gravity or an atmosphere interacting with it. :D

No, instead of death by meat-splosion, you will die by oxygen deprivation. Doesn't matter how tightly you seal your lips, the air in your mouth and lungs are going to slip out of there laughing at you as it rushes for the sweet spaciousness of the vacuum. A human looses consciousness a little over a few seconds and a little after that... well, brain damage and death are going to be your long time friends.

Oh, and your saliva boils in vacuum!

Isn't science amazing?@u@

Also, muscle is generally not grey. The myoglobin in muscle tissue (the stuff that accepts oxygen from blood cells) causes it to have a reddish color (as well as mitochondria). The less myoglobin in muscle tissue equals a paler color, and more myoglobin equals the opposite. When muscle tissue is looking grey it probably indicates that it's undergoing decomposition or other processes that messes up the natural state of muscle tissue.

Just wanted to clear some things up!

Thank you.

But bones, getting the "bends" is different from being in a vaccuum. Water is denser than air, so it might have the effect of cutting off oxygen to the limbs. Not to mention that air under less pressure in the Mahritoran's air bubbles would expand and float away, thereby causing suffocation, and the possibility of mutation as a result...anyway, I'll stop rambling about things I know nothing about.

Anyway, most of this only has bearing on whether the dipiction of muscles in the movies is canon, down to the color.

Most of our soft tissue is a grayish colour once the blood is drained - as you said, it's our blood that gives it colour. That's why corpses/zombies are usually gray. If you're not squeamish you can easily search for pictures I guess.

Who knows if they have red blood in the first place? Grey blood? :P

Who knows if they have red blood in the first place? Grey blood? :P

Or myloglobin, as Veoi points out.

I have two theories about the color of the flesh.

1. It's possible that the beings living inside the domes fo the MU have all grey flesh, which in that case would be the natural color of their flesh.

However, the Mata seems to have their flesh colored otherwise. The answer to that question is simple. The inhabitant of Mata-Nui were exposed

to the real sun for a fairly long amount of time (as opposed to the artificial one from the MU). It's possible that elements like the real sun changed the color of their flesh by decoloring it or even tanning it. It may also be a consequence of their body adapting to their environment.

My second theory is somehow similar.

2. The natural color of their flesh is a lighter version of their primary color. In that case, we could explain the purple flesh of the Po-inhabitant by an intense exposition to the sun. Note that in Le-wahi, they are protected from the sun by the trees, in Ta-wahi, there is cloud of ashes due to the volcano, in Ga-Wahi, it's really humid, so I guest the village's sky should be cloudy from time to time. In Ko-wahi, there are snow storms and in Onu-wahi, well, their living under earth. However, in Po-wahi, they are living in a hot desert in constant exposition to the sun, which could explain the decoloration of their flesh. According to this theory, the grey-ish flesh of the Metru inhabitant may be a consequence of their industrialisation.

- NT

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

I sincerely hope that the stuff between Pohatu's chestplate is not lung tissue. Poor guy would be dead in less than a day.

See, not only would he be EXTREMELY prone to being stabbed or cut there (not just by bad guys, but also by environmental factors like twigs or everyday wear and tear), but there is also the issue of it drying out. Lungs are meant to be moist and wet and gross, because that's how they diffuse gases across their membranes fast enough to allow healthy levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body at all times. Exposing the tissue to air would most likely dry the lungs out, causing their efficiency to drop to deadly levels.

There's also the issue that the alveoli- that is, the little air sacs where this diffusion of gases takes place in the lung- have sticky walls, due to them being wet. You actually cannot breathe out all the air from your lungs, as you need some in there to keep the alveoli puffed up so they don't stick their walls together. If their walls stick together, then air can't get to the entire wall, which reduces the surface area of the lung as a whole (surface area is very important in biology, especially regarding diffusion). It's possible that something blunt prodding the lung could stick the walls together. We have a lovely rib cage and a layer of skin and fleshy stuff to prevent this, but if that's bare lung tissue, you'd probably squish the poor little alveoli so they smoosh together.

Also there's that nasty infection risk. Wet environment, exposed to air, and easy to get cuts and grazes on? Sounds like bacteria paradise.

I reckon that it's either artistic licence or flesh to cover up the delicate tissues in there. It looks pretty non-yielding, so it's probably there to protect the organs.

As for the other two, the muscley stuff could be actual muscle, and the wiry, sinewy stuff looks like tendons or similar.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to clear some stuff up about lungs! c:

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

I sincerely hope that the stuff between Pohatu's chestplate is not lung tissue. Poor guy would be dead in less than a day.

See, not only would he be EXTREMELY prone to being stabbed or cut there (not just by bad guys, but also by environmental factors like twigs or everyday wear and tear), but there is also the issue of it drying out. Lungs are meant to be moist and wet and gross, because that's how they diffuse gases across their membranes fast enough to allow healthy levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body at all times. Exposing the tissue to air would most likely dry the lungs out, causing their efficiency to drop to deadly levels.

There's also the issue that the alveoli- that is, the little air sacs where this diffusion of gases takes place in the lung- have sticky walls, due to them being wet. You actually cannot breathe out all the air from your lungs, as you need some in there to keep the alveoli puffed up so they don't stick their walls together. If their walls stick together, then air can't get to the entire wall, which reduces the surface area of the lung as a whole (surface area is very important in biology, especially regarding diffusion). It's possible that something blunt prodding the lung could stick the walls together. We have a lovely rib cage and a layer of skin and fleshy stuff to prevent this, but if that's bare lung tissue, you'd probably squish the poor little alveoli so they smoosh together.

Also there's that nasty infection risk. Wet environment, exposed to air, and easy to get cuts and grazes on? Sounds like bacteria paradise.

I reckon that it's either artistic licence or flesh to cover up the delicate tissues in there. It looks pretty non-yielding, so it's probably there to protect the organs.

As for the other two, the muscley stuff could be actual muscle, and the wiry, sinewy stuff looks like tendons or similar.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to clear some stuff up about lungs! c:

I don't think anyone imagined it was literally their lungs. I figured they have some kind of protective layer like thick skin, maybe even an internal skeleton (hurray for ribs). My earlier post about this was more along the lines of relative vulnerability: i.e.compared to their metal chest armour, having a bit of exposed flesh like that is quite the weakness (no guesses for where I'd try and stab them if I were a baddie).

I think it may have been artistic licence. Then again, it could be that they have lungs, then a case/ribcage-y thing, then muscle on top with some skin type stuff, and that's actually what we're seeing, kinda like how we have organs in our ribcage, then the ribcage, then chest muscles and then skin c:

See, not only would he be EXTREMELY prone to being stabbed or cut there (not just by bad guys, but also by environmental factors like twigs or everyday wear and tear), but there is also the issue of it drying out.

Er, our own lungs have lines of direction between their interior and our outer skin that are nothing but flesh (not bone, since the ribs are only a framework rather than a total covering). All I meant was that it's organic, not that the outer flesh is the same material as the inner lung. :P Presumably the outer surfaces of all the muscles would be much more durable and for example designed to retain moisture. So sort of "skin."

Actually, our rib cage design shows why a gap may be needed for them, since the lungs have to be able to expand and contract. But again, I wouldn't take that specific shape as canon, just the idea of there being flesh inside the chest armor, which the movie can only show by a possible non-canon gap. So, the gap is probably artistic license in that case, but who knows? If so, then the armor would probably be more like scales, with part of it sliding over another part as the chest expands.

MU inhabitants are bio-mechanical, we all know that. But what do the organic components of MU inhabitants look like, particularly in terms of colour? I've basically started this post to ask for any canon info that I may be ignorant of.

In the original trilogy, organic components could be seen in characters (even the Vahki I think lol). I noted three distinct textures and three colour styles:

- "Brain" texture (like in Pohatu's chest armour gap: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/9/96/MoL_Pohatu_Nuva.PNG)

- Muscle texture: (Note Vakama's shoulders and knees: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:Matoran_Vakama.PNG)

- Wiry/Sinewy texture (alludes more to wires and hence a bio-mechanical feel. Note Vakama's joints, like his shoulder joint: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:LoMN_Toa_Metru_Vakama_With_Great_Disks.PNG)

- A (sometimes lighter) version of their primary colour (Note Tahu's muscle/brainy thingy in his torso: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/d/d5/MoL_Tahu_Nuva_with_Poisoned_Hau_Nuva.png)

- Purple (Note Pohatu: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/e/e4/Movie_Toa_Nuva_Pohatu_Gali_Tahu.png)

Normally I imagine their flesh to be the primary colour of their armour, but the variations get me thinking.

As far as I'm aware the movies are the only sources for this kind of info, but I'd love to be proven wrong :)

I don't think BIONICLE's have flesh as they're BIOMECHANICAL so they don't have flesh or gears but something in between the two (like sort of fleshy robot pats)

I don't think BIONICLE's have flesh as they're BIOMECHANICAL so they don't have flesh or gears but something in between the two (like sort of fleshy robot pats)

Greg has stated that MU inhabitants have an organic to mechanical ratio of about 85% mechanical, and 15% organic. Judging by various official descriptions, it is clear that they DO have entirely mechanical sections, and entirely organic sections, sorry :P

This is an interesting topic, but the REAL question is what colour are (insane) Bionicle brains?

(Incidentally, I like to imagine that Matoran and related species have flesh tinted in their eye colour, since I have a headcanon about Matoran having a sort of elemental energy conducting "blood" in the same colour as their eyes, but there's no real evidence for that in canon.)

bionicle is trans culture

They are biomechanical, yes... but that means that they have a mix of organic and mechanical parts, not parts that are all made of a single substance that's a mix of the two. :P

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Probably grey. Whenever Bionicle characters take their mask off, there's gray underneath...

That doesn't mean that's they colour of their flesh. For the most part their heads look mechanical. Their eyes are known to be mechanical, as are their hearing organs (kinda like ears but not ears really, just audio receptors). I always took their faces to be mechanical, or mostly mechanical, maybe like this: http://11.imagebam.com/download/F0-O-trDqblGfJ5keqj78w/5548/55470951/Optimusmovieangry.jpg

In terms of sources on what their flesh looks like, the films (the original trilogy) seem to be the only source (look to my first post for more info). ATM is looks like Matoran inside the MU have grey and the primary colour of their element, but outside it (exposed to Sun-bright starlight) they're just purple.

As for Toa, in the MU they're usually grey(ish), except for Ko-Toa (who have dark/deep blue flesh, as shown by Nuju), Ga-Toa (Who have purple flesh, as shown by Nokama), and Onu/Po-Toa (who seem to have a greyish/copper-green coloured flesh. They don't show a rule though (we'd need to see lots of MU Toa for that), so we don't really know for sure on any of them. For Toa outside the MU (the Toa Nuva), Ta-Toa have red flesh, Ga-Toa have a dull blue flesh, Le, Po and Onu-Toa have purple flesh, and Ko-Toa have a dull blue flesh. Then again, the Toa Mata/Nuva are pretty special and some of the earliest Toa so they could be different in that sense too...

For the most part, it looks like it's purple, grey or some colour related to you element. So no real solid answer XD