To Those Who Don't Want Bionicle Back...

Makuta_of_Oz

If it's a remake of the original story starting with 2001, and the sets look recognizable as the Toa Mata, then "OMG MUST RUN TO NEAREST STORE AND PURCHASE LEWA NOWNOWNOWNOW!" If it's a continuation of the original story, then "MUST BUY NEXT BOOK AND THE LATEST GREEN SETS NOWNOWNOWNOW!" If it's a horrible attempt at a remake that looks nothing like any of the original Toa, then "LEGO WHY!?!?!?!?!?" :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

I wouldn't care. As has been stated, it wouldn't be in a form we'd recognise. The style of Hero Factory indicates where Lego's ambitions now lie. The designs of even the mid-2000s are behind them. The dreamy part of me would like to see the line return in the style of 2001, but obviously there's no possibility of it. Anyone who remembers the time when the word 'Tohunga' wasn't a relic is now an adult or near enough. There wouldn't be an audience for it. I'm content with the present situation.

If the sets featured cool new pieces and the storyline was somewhat revamped, I'd be glad. If the sets were just normal and the story the same, I'd be disappointed. It all depends on Bionicle's quality when it returns; I personally think its return should wait a few more years so that, when it comes back, Lego will have nostalgia factor on their side, but if they recreate it earlier and they do it well I'll like it.

I'd really rather it doesn't come back. It's better off just being the story, so there aren't really any limitations story-wise. That being said, I'd love to see some new books, which could probably be more sophisticated due to the series not really being affiliated with LEGO anymore. If they did come back, I'd probably buy them just for old times sake. :P

oniban.png

I would support a return of the line, but only if done well. I think at this point a reboot or distant continuation would be the only viable way to do so - the storyline has just become too complex to attempt a straight revival. Of course, if Lego were to revive the line, they would want to avoid having that storyline trouble again, so I find it likely the reboot's story would be comparatively simpler or at the very least more prone to self-contained plots, a la Hero Factory. While it's not impossible for that to be done well, it seems unlikely it could be done and still maintain the feel Bionicle used to have.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

If Bionicle were to come back, I'd have to be careful not to judge it against the Bionicle line I've come to know and love. If (and probably when) Bionicle returns, It will probably look more like a continuation of Hero Factory more than anything else. I'll just have to judge it as a completely new line, instead of a continuation of "classic" Bionicle. 1000101 BC 01001001

I assume that it wouldn't come back unless it were treated with the dignity and respect it deserves. I have at least that much faith in TLG's decision-making. And anyway, if it were to come back, its long history and backstory would be-- as always-- its greatest asset. I don't think that would be possible any time in the foreseeable future since the way it was marketed that gave us so much reason to love it was, frankly, unsustainable. That "greatest asset" I mention was also its greatest weakness since TLG wasn't able to promote that backstory sufficiently and it just served as a roadblock to new fans. After all, the theme was extremely weak unless you were able to learn all that had come before, and I don't think a lot of fans had the patience or the resources to do so. But really, if BIONICLE came back it wouldn't be any different to me than if it had been around all along. It might have to prove itself a bit more than usual, just because it had been wrapped up so well before and it would take some real artistry to get it back running again with the same level of suspense and mystery. But with that said, the theme always had to prove itself to keep me interested, and it always passed that test with flying colors. If it were to come back I would expect no less.

Set wise: I wouldn't care. I stopped caring about the sets ever since they went up in price. I was just like "meh. not worth it. i can go buy myself taco bell with this money." Story wise: If it was written well, they yah, I'd follow it. If the story was cheesy or just not done well, then I'd go back to eating my taco bell.

It was all a lie. There's nothing wrong with you.

Nice of you to say. But you of all people should know:

there's plenty wrong with me.

I think BIONICLE was already stretched out too long - it had it's climax (Matoro/Ignika) and then it just... kept going. C. S. Lewis once said said that a story was like water running through a faucet, and once the story was done, the faucet turned off - it's simply done. And if you try to go on, it just sounds forced.If they brought BIONICLE back, I'd most likely just ignore it.

Current Epic: Life is a Blank - last post Jan. 22

My Library: The Esoteric Athenaeum

Member of the Epic Critics' Club

aa0ef09c4ad9bf8017ddec306412e550_zpscff1

To be honest, I would do nothing. I finished with Lego as a whole years ago, and I don't really see any chance of me being pulled back into it.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I think BIONICLE was already stretched out too long - it had it's climax (Matoro/Ignika) and then it just... kept going. C. S. Lewis once said said that a story was like water running through a faucet, and once the story was done, the faucet turned off - it's simply done. And if you try to go on, it just sounds forced.

So you'd want the story to stop with Mata Nui still asleep? :)

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

If it's a remake of the original story that somehow ruins my favorite childhood heroes, then I'll get kinda annoyed and mad. Otherwise, I'd be be like all "wow... they finally brought it back. My, how long I've been waiting for this day."

Eh, I wouldn't care. It died, and when it died, it wasn't going come back. It had a good ten years, and I don't see why it should have any more years than that. People need to realize that it's gone and it won't probably come back, although I want it understood that I'm not trying to crush people's hopes. That's mainly the truth, but we should still be glad we still have online Bionicle serials, stories - everything. If Bionicle were actually gone, all of that would be gone with it. So I suppose we still have it, just not in plastic form brand new. =]

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Just keep doing what I'm doing now and follow the story.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

I don't understand why people don't accept Hero Factory as being BIONICLE but with a different name. Seriously. I'd just be like "Ok then, back to HF it is then". I dislike BIONICLE's old sets, and I feel Hero Factory sets are better. And I never followed BIONICLE's story. It was too complex for me. ~Argentum~

~ Argentum

I don't understand why people don't accept Hero Factory as being BIONICLE but with a different name. Seriously. I'd just be like "Ok then, back to HF it is then". I dislike BIONICLE's old sets, and I feel Hero Factory sets are better. And I never followed BIONICLE's story. It was too complex for me. ~Argentum~

Well, it's partly a matter of the different reasons people liked BIONICLE. Some liked the sets primarily, and liked them for many qualities Hero Factory sets also share. For these people it's probably easy moving on. Some liked the sets, but for their high-detail designs with pistons, joints, and framework-like structures. Or perhaps they liked the sets primarily for their functionality and Technic-based building system. In this case, it's possible for them to have moved on to Hero Factory (I at least partly fit into this camp), but it would be impossible for them to see Hero Factory as "BIONICLE under a different name". There would be too many design distinctions between what they loved in BIONICLE and what they see in Hero Factory today. Some people might have really liked BIONICLE for its depth of story. In this case, again, HF is not BIONICLE under a different name. It has a much more lighthearted storyline that isn't meant to be taken nearly as seriously, so in some cases it's just too childish for former BIONICLE fans. Overall, Hero Factory and BIONICLE are different. And this is why I don't think "bring BIONICLE back but make it more like Hero Factory" would not work. After all, BIONICLE's strengths for some were its weaknesses for others. And the same applies to Hero Factory-- it's not a crime if a person feels that the simpler, more episodic story of Hero Factory just isn't worth the dedication they had towards BIONICLE. If BIONICLE were brought back, I would trust that it would be more than a return "in name only". Perhaps an episodic story could be told in the BIONICLE universe, and the new building system could be used for BIONICLE species and characters, but there's much more to BIONICLE than either of those things. I might be able to enjoy a new BIONICLE crafted along these specifications, but I'm not fool enough to think it would be the same BIONICLE that earned my appreciation over the last ten years.

The only reason I came to this topic seeing the "for those that do not want it returning" is because I can imagine a myriad of ways it could be brought back in a way that would kill the story. I only stuck with it becuase of the story, and that it what matters most to me. So, if they gave it some resting time and it came back effectively, I could accept it just as I always did. Unfortunately, the construction might be similar to HF at which point I will be like "Agh...MOCing nightmare!" but I would still be chill with the whole deal. A story can go on for as long as the ideas are fresh and hold true to the original ideals and messages. As for C.S. Lewis, he wasn't exactly a bastion of that idea himself. He dragged on Narnia until he ran out of ideas and things started getting weird in the later books. Bionicle has gotten plenty weird, but it did that with fresh ideas and I liked all the weirdness that came along with it. By no means do I intend to bash an author as skilled as Lewis, but I think Bionicle coped with the difficulties of extension better than Narnia. I just don't want Bionicle to come back with an inferior story because all fresh ideas are exhausted, and, let's face it, if it does come back, there's a good possibility of this happening. TLG has business interests coming first and a reappearance could have an inferior story if they are doing it just to sell sets: their primary goal. So essence of my point is this: I'm good with it gone, but if it comes back with a strong story, I'm good with that too.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

I'd only pick up 1-3 sets a year, but I'd still read all the books and comics. I would kind of like a story set far in the future on Spherus Magna, but with the more primitive setting of Mata Nui. Of course, I would definitely want the story to be heavy on mysteriousness, and (much like old BIONICLE), slowly become more of a Sci-Fi. And if Terry returns in a story set in the future, I'll have to have a seizure.

Prehaps if it returns, instead of being HF based the sets could be done by the technic design team. Since Bionicle really only seems to cater to nostalgia (in terms of the traditional building system) it would make sense to market it more exclusively toward those who grew up with it, rather then making it a sister line to HF. The result of this strategy would be fewer sets, but bigger and more complex, similar to Star Wars' UCS line. Storywise, however, Bionicle should best countine with the system of having serials updated every so often. Thus, TLG doesn't have to spend a fortune on story writing, and it fits with most older fans' busy lives.

My wallet will weep and I will hear the lamentations of my money.

If done well, I would love it and buy all of it. If done badly, I would commit suicide.

As long as the story is rich, it'll be a nice treat for me.

All of the above. Though my focus these days is Lego Minifigures (which are cheaper to collect), though I'm saving up for something at the moment.

16N1K4 elsewhere:

Instagram (MOC-focused)

personal blog

The only reason I came to this topic seeing the "for those that do not want it returning" is because I can imagine a myriad of ways it could be brought back in a way that would kill the story. I only stuck with it becuase of the story, and that it what matters most to me. So, if they gave it some resting time and it came back effectively, I could accept it just as I always did. Unfortunately, the construction might be similar to HF at which point I will be like "Agh...MOCing nightmare!" but I would still be chill with the whole deal. A story can go on for as long as the ideas are fresh and hold true to the original ideals and messages. As for C.S. Lewis, he wasn't exactly a bastion of that idea himself. He dragged on Narnia until he ran out of ideas and things started getting weird in the later books. Bionicle has gotten plenty weird, but it did that with fresh ideas and I liked all the weirdness that came along with it. By no means do I intend to bash an author as skilled as Lewis, but I think Bionicle coped with the difficulties of extension better than Narnia. I just don't want Bionicle to come back with an inferior story because all fresh ideas are exhausted, and, let's face it, if it does come back, there's a good possibility of this happening. TLG has business interests coming first and a reappearance could have an inferior story if they are doing it just to sell sets: their primary goal. So essence of my point is this: I'm good with it gone, but if it comes back with a strong story, I'm good with that too.

This. I saw the set's of Bionicle's later year as more of a way of funding the story, and I bought the sets to keep it alive. Bionicle's rich mythos is what kept me interested, and so long as that is kept, I'm all for the set's coming back. In other words: Lego, if you show me a good, worthwhile bedtime story and plastic people worth buying, I'll buy them, the books and comics, and hand you my valuable leafy-greens with purty faces and numbers on 'em. You know I won't play with them, but my children will. ;) Edited by RC-1505

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I'm not on either side, but I'll answer the question anyway.I'd think "Wait, seriously!? They're bringing it back!? I gotta see these sets..." I wouldn't buy them, but I'd still love to see them. Then for a few days/weeks, I wouldn't care, then I'd randomly get the urge to check out the story, briefly get back into it, then move on. Then maybe I'll briefly get back into it again. Then move on. It's a cycle with things like these, I guess...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be more concerned about the set quality than the theme name. As far as I'm concerned, the best years of Bionicle were finished with long before it ended, so I wasn't too troubled to see it go. It would be cool for it to come back, but even if it did, I'm sure it wouldn't compare to what I think Bionicle was, so I'd probably be disappointed anyway. :P (And then I'd go buy the sets...)

Well... I still had hope for BIONICLE.

:P But yeah, I suppose it would never be the same, because if you think about it BIONICLE wouldn't be the same now even if the sets had gone on.

Seriously, though, I would really think more about the sets themselves than I would think about what the line happened to be named. If the sets were any good for building/posing/MOCing with, I would buy at least a few.

I also agree. I'm a MOCer still, and I would pay close attention to whether any good parts cropped up in future/new BIONICLE sets.In summary, I guess I don't NOT want BIONICLE back.

:P[/properishdoublenegative]

~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

I'd be pretty dang happy. Would I run out and buy all the sets? No. Would I go out and buy them eventually? Yeah.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

• 4 weeks later...