Caveat Scriptor: A Comedies Contest

-Windrider-

Aaaaah it's the LEGO MOVIE!

And that means it's time for a contest! Gather your keyboards, because it's time to write.

What:

Your task is to write a script. Envision the LEGO Movie in your head. Now, create a scene anywhere in the movie. Fiddle with it; work it out. What are the characters saying? What is going on around them; what is the scene? Yo this is like your chance to be Sophocles or Shakespeare or something: Act X scene y. That is what you're going to be writing. (Please note that entries should not be Greek or other sorts of tragedies.)

Example:

Scene: At night, the streets are empty. Two figures: short, plastic. The one on the left speaks slowly. The one on the right, silent.

EMMET: And that is why it must be done. It's all on the line.

OTHER FIGURE: ...

EMMET turns around.

EMMET: Tonight, we dine at Denny's.

Dramatic music starts in a sudden crescendo.

When:

So, you have about three weeks to come up with your entry. Let's say the entry period ends January 18th, okay?

Voting will be held through polls. Voting schedule to be determined!

Why:

Sweet prizes.

How:

Entries will be accepted in this topic. To enter, first post your comedy scene in a separate topic here in the Comedies forum. Then, post in this topic using the entry form below:

Member name:

Entry title:

Topic link:

1. Entries must be over 200 words in length and in script form. Please keep entries to one post.

2. One entry per member.

3. Entries must contain at least one character from any of the LEGO movie media, including trailers, or from the announced sets.

• See here for some official examples! And, be sure to watch BZP's front page for LEGO Movie announcements.

4. Inclusion of characters from other themes is permitted.

5. Don't worry too much about canon.

Other Rules:

1. Entries must be new and not previously posted on BZPower.

2. You may edit your entry until the entry period ends.

3. No cheating, flaming, spamming - all of BZPower's rules must be followed.

• If you encounter misconduct, please PM me or GSR.

4. No mass advertising your entry through BZPower. Blog entries and sig links are fine; sending out numerous PMs to members is not.

5. Feel free to ask questions in this topic, or you can PM me or GSR.

Mad Loot:

The winner will receive a $30 giftcard to the theater of his or her choosing for a night at The LEGO Movie with a friend (or maybe a date?! :0 ). The winner will also receive a 6-month Premier Membership.

Prizes courtesy of Black Six!

Directors:

GSR and -Windrider-.

I think it's time to begin?

Edited by -Windrider-

So, by "not a tragedy" does that mean it has to be humorous, or it just has to have a happy ending? What do you mean, basically?

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

So, by "not a tragedy" does that mean it has to be humorous, or it just has to have a happy ending? What do you mean, basically?

Oh, that. Well - it was just a little joke, really, because I mentioned two playwrights noted for their tragedies in a Comedies contest. So, disregard the "not a tragedy" thing; it's not a guideline or anything. Sorry for the confusion! But since this is a Comedies contest, yeah, humorous would work out better.

Just a quick question: Is there a due date, or did I just skim it?

January 18th. It's under the "When" section.

Mad Loot:

The winner will receive a $30 giftcard to the theater of his or her choosing for a night at The LEGO Movie with a friend (or maybe a date?! :0 ). The winner will also receive a 6-month Premier Membership.

What is this "date" you speak of? Is it one of those things I've heard about, a "social life?" :P

I haven't written much comedy, but the prizes seem worth it. I might give it a shot.

Member name: Lyichir

Entry title: The Lego Movie: Primetime Pitch

Topic link: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11664

All right, first entry! I thought about holding it in reserve for longer... but once I had it written and formatted, it seemed like a waste not to post it!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, I finally did it. After swearing that I would never write another script comedy again, I did it. But, this time, I found a nice little loophole... this contest is for a movie script, and movie scripts allow for prose in giving scene directions! Besides, I needed a little something fun to write to get me out of my writing rut, and what's more fun than an opportunity to write a scene for The LEGO Movie? I'll tell you what: an opportunity to write a scene for The LEGO Movie... starring Johnny Thunder himself!

What? Johnny Thunder has a cameo appearance and is due to appear in one of the upcoming sets. He counts! After all, the rules say that this could be about any character from the movie...

While writing this, I referred to several online sources regarding the formatting of movie scripts, and I tried my best to replicate it with BZPower's formatting (I'd love to link to these sites, but... well, unfortunately, they're not necessarily family-friendly). I also looked up film terminology and an entire dictionary of Australian slang to spice this up.

I also put a ton of references and shout-outs in the script. Let's see who can find the most!

Member name: PeabodySam

Entry title: Scene 24: Johnny Thunder Blows This Taco Stand

Topic link: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11770

-----

On that note, we have only a little more than a week left for the entry period, and counting my entry, we only have three entries so far. I know there was a news article published about this contest just after it began, but perhaps a little bit of extra publicity, i.e. a news article stating "One week left to enter!", might help?

On that note, we have only a little more than a week left for the entry period, and counting my entry, we only have three entries so far. I know there was a news article published about this contest just after it began, but perhaps a little bit of extra publicity, i.e. a news article stating "One week left to enter!", might help?

Sure, I'll arrange for a news story to be posted. Thank you for entering!

Thanks for the announcement, I would've missed this. This is my first real comedy in years. Good luck to the other entrants!

Member name: Master Inika

Entry title: The LEGO Movie: Dangerous Detour

Topic link: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11794

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Last call for entries, folks! You're not just going to let that mad loot get away, are you? :P

Update: Okay, maybe you are (though on the basis that it's still technically the 18th in some parts of the world and Wind wasn't that specific up in the first post, any last-minute entries in the next few hours are fine by me). The poll will be up tomorrow in that shiny new subforum.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42