What if bionic lie never ended?

What ifbionicle had never been cancelled? We already kow about the whole world of bio mechanical dinosaurs and elemental olds Greg was planning, but what else might of come in later years? What do YOU think?

Notice: sry I was typing really fast so there are a couple of typos, it's elementel lords, not olds there are a few others :(

Please try and improve the written quality of your posts in future.

The question you ask is a pretty big one. There's already been a lot of talk about it, and of course we don't really know. But we can make educated guesses.

First off, we can look at previous Bionicle history to make assumptions about what would have happened in future. After The Legend Reborn, we know that things would have moved on to Bota Magna (or was it Bara Magna's underground?) but as things are they were cut short. There would almost certainly have been more small sets, canister sized sets and some titans/warriors (I hate that they changed the term "titans" to "warriors"). I figure some characters like Gresh, Kiina, Ackar etc. would probably come back in transformed versions, maybe with different armour in story.

Greg wanted to move on with the Red Star, for a "zombies in space" idea he had, so that would have popped along sometime, maybe we would have had Kestora sets.

The Toa/Glatorian team dispatched to Bota Magna to find the Great Beings would probably have been very important, as it followed a main plotline.

The evil Great Being in disguise, Velika, would also have been very important, and probably a replacement to Makuta Teridax as the Big Bad villain. Of course, we still have the Mahri to worry about, and The Shadowed Ones and his new "Dark Hunters".

Let's not forget the Alternate Light Teridax and Mazeka's shenanigans.

And of course, as you say, the Element Lords themselves, as well as the Toa Destroyer, Marendar.

Basically, I really don't know, Greg tended to let his creativity flow and improvise whatever he felt was right; but it clear what I've mentioned would have been integral.

Things also depend if you're asking "What would have happened if they hadn't been thinking of cancelling at all?" or "What if they picked things off where they left them now?"

I'm short on time, so I won't write much right now, so check this out: this channel produced an pretty good response to this exact question though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQas9gRcA0

The Bionic Lie?

I'd have hated it if Bionicle never ended; everything needs an ending point, and it doesn't need to be a 100% happy ending. But I'd have liked to see Spherus Magna be wrought with tension from the various social groups and how they clearly can't and won't get along. And they have a war. In the end the planet comes this close to being destroyed or something, but it's saved at the last minute. It's so frightening that everyone just sort of quietly gets along. The end.

At least, that's the rough outline I thought up a couple minutes ago. I'm sure sitting down and actually thinking about it could yield better results.

• Upvote 2

From what I can tell from the preliminary screenplay greg posted here a wile ago:

2010... Northern bara magna and the valley of the maze (which moves and has several diverse and hazardous environments contained within. Element lords following our heroes through the maze still fighting each other. Maze is solved and then collapses (freeing everyone) while our heroes are blasted off to Bota Magna in a strange craft when the fake volcano erupts.

New sets for Mata nui, Ackar and Kiina, thanks to a skrall outpost. Battera, a skrall spy who befriends Mata nui, a new jungle, iron and ice glatorian, (later two are con artists).

No mention of Gresh so he probably turned back when Berix was injured so no set form for hin of the Elords.

2011... Bota Magna with bio dinos and plant people.

New sets for our big three heroes, again.

End of Glatorian series

After that, who knows? Terry still around? Planet fixed yet? Would have to wrap up this story first before moving to a new world or time jumping. Skip the boring politics or go on hiatus until they have something more exiting to tell.

What would be nice is if we got some more isolated stories from that massive gap between the core war and 04.

But all good things must come to an end, or an 'extended hiatus' as I like to think of it and 2011 would have been far preferable not because it's an extra year but for the same reason 03, 05, 08 would have worked. Fact is Lego was just never good at endings in spite of Greg and in fact the whole Bionicle teams efforts.

• Upvote 1

Terry still around?

Nahh, Greg confirmed many many times he was dead for good.

IF the line hadn't been caned journeys end wouldn't have played out like it did, if at all.

The story would have likely hit all the same notes, just not as rapidly. There probably wouldn't have been any Golden Armor, but that was hardly something integral to the plot anyway.

What would have happened? Well, for one thing, we wouldn't have had the coolest villain ever killed by getting hit with a meteor, so that's a plus :P

I dunno. Next gen of canister sets would have been, as stated, Ackar, Kiina, Mata Nui, the Skrall guy, and those two con artists. I think the next wave of canisters that year would have been the Elemental Lords, and who knows what the small sets and titans would have been? Then, in the next year, we would have had dinosaur sets! Yeah!

I kind of feel that BIONICLE was on it's way out anyway, and had it not ended when it did, 2011 would have been the last year.

If it hadn't ended it most likely would have still ended the same way it did.

I think it got a great ending except for tahu becoming a toa Mata, that really gets on my nerves.

I'm pretty sure the element lords or the gold skinned being would have been the new antagonists, and of course velika.

From what I can tell from the preliminary screenplay greg posted here a wile ago:

2010... Northern bara magna and the valley of the maze (which moves and has several diverse and hazardous environments contained within. Element lords following our heroes through the maze still fighting each other. Maze is solved and then collapses (freeing everyone) while our heroes are blasted off to Bota Magna in a strange craft when the fake volcano erupts.

New sets for Mata nui, Ackar and Kiina, thanks to a skrall outpost. Battera, a skrall spy who befriends Mata nui, a new jungle, iron and ice glatorian, (later two are con artists).

No mention of Gresh so he probably turned back when Berix was injured so no set form for hin of the Elords.

2011... Bota Magna with bio dinos and plant people.

New sets for our big three heroes, again.

End of Glatorian series

After that, who knows? Terry still around? Planet fixed yet? Would have to wrap up this story first before moving to a new world or time jumping. Skip the boring politics or go on hiatus until they have something more exiting to tell.

What would be nice is if we got some more isolated stories from that massive gap between the core war and 04.

But all good things must come to an end, or an 'extended hiatus' as I like to think of it and 2011 would have been far preferable not because it's an extra year but for the same reason 03, 05, 08 would have worked. Fact is Lego was just never good at endings in spite of Greg and in fact the whole Bionicle teams efforts.

I also heard that Greg planned to have the whole battle between Mata Nui and Makuta eventually. He initially wanted to have Mata Nui tear Teridax's chest open or something like that (imagine all the people inside literally seeing the sky collapse and split apart lol), but LEGO thought that might be a bit too violent.

I personally would have loved seeing a storyline set far in the future, where one of two things happened:

1. Toa are "extinct" and largely regarded as an ancient myth.
  2. Toa are outlawed and regarded as dangerous due to some cataclysmic event they supposedly caused.

With either one, it would be neat to bring Toa into the picture and see what it would be like for them to exist on the fringe. The Matoran typically view Toa as their saviors, so it would be really interesting to see them viewed as menaces or myths. Especially with the first option, that would hark back to the feel of the original 2001 storyline.

I'm sure that would not have happened, but I think that would have been pretty neat.

Dr. B

dban1.png
"We can't all, and some just don't. That's all there is to it." - A.A. Milne

Dr. B, those are both great ideas, and also, since they're not mutually exclusive, even better if they mixed them. Unlikely they'd use it but great fanfic potential. :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

As I understand it, if BIONICLE had not been cancelled in 2010 then it would have come to its previously-planned ending after the movies and sets for 2010 and 2011 were concluded. The 2010 story arc would involve Mata Nui traveling to the Valley of the Maze, and the 2011 story arc would deal with the biomechanical dinosaurs and whatnot. The final confrontation between Mata Nui and Makuta would take place in either 2011 or 2012.

Whether it would be continued beyond that point is anyone's guess, but that was as far as Mata Nui's story arc had been planned, and with BIONICLE already beginning to outlive its usefulness in 2010 I imagine the creators would have been perfectly happy to let it rest in peace beyond that point. So by now, BIONICLE would probably be over anyway, and the creators would have moved onto something else, probably based on the new building system that was already in development by 2010.

Fans would bicker about whether BIONICLE got the ending it deserved, and about whether the new theme lived up to the standard its predecessor had set, and the fanbase would steadily dwindle as fans "grew out of it" or simply moved on to other things. So things would be more or less the same as they are today.

Now, if BIONICLE had never ended? Well, that's anyone's guess. But nobody responsible for the theme expected it to last forever, especially since its sales peaked in 2002 and were on a steady decline ever since. I think honestly some of the creators might have been surprised at how long they were able to keep things going with this one story. I certainly don't think the story would have continued without its main conflict between the forces of Mata Nui and Makuta Teridax, which was the one unifying trait that defined BIONICLE's story from beginning to end.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Eventually, the story would degenerate into nothing more than a toy commercial with little more than some exposition regarding character abilities, personality, and allegiance. There's only so much you can do with an idea, after all. After the Glatorian, we would have the dinosaurs for a year. After that? Greg might have more story ideas, but after those start to wane, then we would just have some new Teridax expy show up with six mooks who curbstomp last year's heroes but are no match for the new toys. Sets might have new designs, but after a year or two they would all be clones, with the only difference being the head, weapons, and colors. That would keep repeating year after year until fans start complaining that Bionicle should have ended years ago.

There is no way an idea could last that long and still retain its quality. Bionicle was already pushing it by Lego standards. A dead franchise is still preferable to a zombie one, so it's best that Bionicle was put down before we started to hate it.

aouROFb.png

All I know for certain is that the baterra would've been sets. They were the one set in the design process when the horrible decision was made.

• Upvote 1

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'll bet they would have focused on Spherus Magna. If I had to make an honest guess about the storyline, I know the Dark Hunters went to Spherus Magna, so maybe they can fill the Brotherhood of Makuta's shoes! They can release revamped versions of Dark Hunters as sets and have some kind of Toa team.

mindeth the cobwebs

• 2 years later...

Now, I'm not saying that the toa mata,nuva,phantoka,mistika aren't bad. They did what they needed to do to save the MU.

But, in the end, what did they do in 2010?

I strongly believe that these 3 should be represented as the gen2 toa.

think of this as a pattern, matoro inika/mahri sacrificed himself to save mata nui  with the kanhoi ignika, mask of life. (or ressurecting him using the kanhoi tryna otherwise it would be creepy to se mata nui reanimated or as a zombie) what did he do that made him special, HE took of his tryana and placed the ignika in his face and without hesitation or 2nd thought, he gave up his life for the great spirit.

And for toa ignika, he too made a choice, because during the battle of karda nui, he decided that he was not going to make any guardians anymore after " it witnessesd failiures of the previous guaridians. It decided to try and understand and feel what it means to be a true hero. As of matter of amazement, he created himself a lifeblade,a nature made midak skyblaster and a hoverboard, and flew himself into battle to aid the toa phantoka. In the end he let go of his life to awaken the great spirit himself. Even if the ignika awokened mata nui and even teridax might have taken over the MU, hope didn't extinguish, it was reborn. Trapped in the ignika, and traveling though space and eventurally crashed onto bara magna, the mask wouldn't give up. The mask gave him new live to give mata nui a chance to be more than a god, to be a toa, and a savior to the inhabitants of the agori tribes under attack from the skrallbut also from them selves.He didn't stand idley by and let things get worse, he unified the agori and the glatorian to defeat the skrall and unify the divided inhabitants, but mata nui knows that it's not over yet, he needed to finish what his fallen toa had started finish the fight. And as of matter of momment teridax invaded bara magna and he was in a do or die situation where he was in a prototype robot that has been part of a accident. However due to teridax's arrogance mata nui eventually killed him and as of matter of truth he gave up his life to restore spherus magna. With his dying words he told the rest of the other toa to lead the matoran and agori to find their destinies. 

this is what lego has failed to reconie

Firstly, thread revival. This is an old thread (sorry to the mods for participating).

Secondly, what? You just repeated the end of G1. How does that have any bearing on G2?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Firstly, thread revival. This is an old thread (sorry to the mods for participating).

Secondly, what? You just repeated the end of G1. How does that have any bearing on G2?

He wishes for G2 to capture the epic message G1 created.

I on the other hand, wish G2 to go in a diffrent direction and wow us fans in a completely new way.

(Which I do think will happen.)

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I know we're not getting any more from Greg, but I'd still love just a bullet point list or sentence-synopsis of years/arcs planned for Bionicle that he was developing. It could be vague enough to let the fans interpret their own stories, but still satisfying to know where it went. 

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I know we're not getting any more from Greg, but I'd still love just a bullet point list or sentence-synopsis of years/arcs planned for Bionicle that he was developing. It could be vague enough to let the fans interpret their own stories, but still satisfying to know where it went.

I don't think he really planned years in advance for that sort of thing. He had several ideas he wanted to get to that he's talked about, but not necessarily as structured a game plan as the story team had used for previous story arcs (like the 2006–2008 "land-sea-sky" trifecta, which the story team began envisioning as early as 2004).

For instance, the reason he decided to make the Red Star revive fallen Matoran was because he wanted to at some point tell a "zombies on a space station" type of story. After he stopped writing the serials he ended up instead using that concept for one of the LEGO Hero Factory Brain Attack chapter books.

It wouldn't surprise me if other ideas he originally had for Bionicle might've worked their way into other things he wrote, like the LEGO Ninjago chapter books and graphic novels.

• Upvote 2

Something worth considering is that Bob Thompson said in an interview that there were at least 7 "books" of story conceptualized in some form, with 2001-03 being the first book. Assuming Metru Nui and Ignition were the next two (and add the post-ignition arc about the Nuva awakening Mata Nui that was later condensed into its third year), that still leaves 3 arcs that we know next to nothing about. Hard to say if the Bara Magna saga was grown from whatever the initial idea for the 5th book was, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Bob took whatever ideas he had past Ignition with him when he left around 2005. 

So basically, at one point, there was at least the seed of an idea for each year, potentially stretching as far as 2019, and almost definitely as far as 2016. Sure would be nice to know what those ideas were.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

How do people even find these old threads to revive them from the dead? Do people just search through dozens of pages of posts looking for the oldest ones there are to reply to them years later? 

I'm genuinely curious.

We were all new once.  Personally I remember having confused the "report" and "add reply" buttons.

But yes—this topic has been revived since it was past the sixty-day limit. Ergo ...

tumblr_nfddpe9NTW1tryxewo2_250.gif

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg