Barraki appearance question

Hey all, this question has been bugging me ever since the Barraki came out. It was explained by Greg that they all look different because they were chosen from different species, but interestingly enough, they all share one common physical characteristic: Their mandible. Now, I could understand Takadox, and Carapar, and maybe Mantax having those because they go along with the form that they were mutated into, but Kalmah, and Pridak being squid and shark-like respectively. I know that one reason they all have those is because of the sets, but story-wise is there a reason why the Pit mutated all of them to have that particular feature? :???: And are they the only Pit prisoners who have that feature, or did the other escapees develop those too? Thanks!

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I'm pretty sure its just because of the set designers choice. I also do not believe that any particular story reason has ever been stated and I don't see why other Pit Prisoners couldn't have developed similar mandibles. :shrugs:

Edited by JAG18

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

This sort of thing is common in Bionicle mutagenic effects; the Toa Hordika all transformed toward the same type of deviation from their Toa forms, instead of in random directions. Apparently mutagens tend to be directed by protodermic coding to some extent in a similar way to the same armor being granted to all the Toa Nuva in transformation via energized protodermis due to destiny. No specific explanation was given that I'm aware of but a Greg search might turn one up. :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Thanks Bonesiii, although with the Hordika, they were all Toa, so it makes sense that the visorak vemon would effect them all the same way, while the Barraki were all from different species. :notsure: But I'll accept that option for now I suppose

Edited by Iron_Man5

Formerly Iron_Man5

Thanks Bonesiii, although with the Hordika, they were all Toa, so it makes sense that the visorak vemon would effect them all the same way, while the Barraki were all from different species. :notsure: But I'll accept that option for now I suppose

Right, but the point is that a new shape not inherent at all to Toa was added to them, and added to all of them. It appears the mutagenic venom itself had instructions equating to "if Toa, mutate in this direction", so the Pit mutagen may have instructions like "if in this class of species, grant this feature", with all the Barraki's features happening to fall in that range. It could make sense that Mata Nui would choose the Barraki from a single class of types for whatever reason.

In my retelling I went with their minifig forms, for most, as the non-canon interpretation of their original forms, and all those look similar to each other, of course. Although the canon wouldn't have used the minifig forms it's still possible they would have already looked similar. In other words the Pit mutagen may have made them look more different than they used to, in the other aspects of their appearance besides the mandibles. The mandibles would just be a reminder that they were in that class of species. Possibly a Hordika-like mutation of some previous common feature that all in that class shared, even Ehlek's species (maybe a much smaller version of mandibles?).

Just like there is a class of beings that wears masks, including Matoran, Brutaka's species, Axonn's, etc. it's possible there are other groups with other shared features as well. (Actually, Toa of different elements kind of are that.) Maybe smaller mandibles would have symbolized fierceness culturally, so they would feel more pressured to become warlords. :shrugs:

I'm assuming the mandibles actually are caused by the mutation... off the top of my head I'm not sure if that's confirmed. BS01 page probably says if it is...

*checks*

I didn't see it said one way or the other. :shrugs:

I did notice the answer to your question about other prisoners. Nocturn did not; see here:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/c/c7/Set_Nocturn.PNG

Others might have but it wasn't universal. I also remember reading that Brutaka's mutation did not affect his appearance (which I'd been researching for the retelling too).

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

(I'm assuming the mandibles actually are caused by the mutation... off the top of my head I'm not sure if that's confirmed. BS01 page probably says if it is...)

Actually bonesiii, I checked all the Barraki pages and found that the mandibles are only mentioned as a set feature.

Edit: Uh, bonesiii, you do know that Nocturn was immune to Pit Mutagen right?

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 1

Others might have but it wasn't universal. I also remember reading that Brutaka's mutation did not affect his appearance (which I'd been researching for the retelling too).

Into the Darkness mentions a few things.

Makuta whirled. Hovering in the water was Brutaka, former guardian of the Mask of Life, now mutated prisoner of the Pit. Wisps of energy were still drifting from his open hand. His body had changed, twisted spikes now jutting out of his armor, and what looked like a long dorsal fin running down his back. Brutaka stood, ready for battle.

No mandibles, though.
  • Upvote 2

Ehlek had the mandibles originally:

1. You said that Ehlek’s species looked like him without the spines. Does this mean he’s always had the

mandibles?

1) Yes

Interestingly, Brutaka's mutation is mentioned in the same post:

3. Does Brutaka still have his dorsal fin and spikes from the pit mutagen?

3) Yes.

That's all I've got. It's possible that Ehlek's species is the template for "'underwater Barraki-like species" which the mutagen used. :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

Well that's weird about Brutaka. Maybe whoever edited that in the BS01 post was confusing him with Nocturn. Glad I brought it up then. :P

Good info about Ehlek too. I had used an image of him besides the minifig form for pre-mutation and had edited out the mandibles. Guess now I'll need to put 'em back in lol.

• Upvote 2

I wonder... this kinda differs from the original topic, but I wonder whether the Barraki had powers in their original form. I'm assuming they did, because how on earth would they conquer the known universe if they were powerless. (I mean, yes I know Takadox always had his hypnosis abilities, but other than that). The weird thing is then, did the Pit Mutagen take away their powers, aside from Ehlek's spines, and a few "natural" abilities granted to them? I always wondered about that, because of all the Bionicle villains, they stood out to me as the least powerful beings as far as abilities go, (I mean take the year before, the Piraka were loaded with powers haha)

Formerly Iron_Man5

Primarily their power came in the same way powerful humans do -- politics and specifically the politics of warlords who build loyal armies. (Made of people who they know will respond to the methods of control they use, which a flashback showed that with Pridak at least were extremely harsh.)

And part of it was simply that Mata Nui chose them, whatever his reasons were, and lent instant and vast credibility to them.

As for powers, the only other thing that comes to mind off the top of my head was that they are capable of wearing and using masks but not reliant on them and pretty sure they looked down on the practice. Sign of weakness or some such thing.

Funny, then; Nocturn was always that ugly.

Because a large amount of emphasis is put on how Pridak was extremely good-looking before his mutation, with even the narrator mentioning, from an objective point of view, that he was handsome, it's unlikely that Pridak had his mandibles prior to his mutation.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

BTW, since apparently Nocturn is invalidated as evidence for an answer to the other prisoners question, I should bring up that the Mahritoran actually were mutated slightly from brief contact, not enough to breathe water, but it reverted them all back to their original forms instead of Karzahni's rebuilding.

It's possible it always reverts previous alterations before then adding its own, so that isn't necessarily relevant but at least we know the Matoran didn't get mandibles. :P

That might also mean that's how it mutates the Matoran class. Anyways, I guess that's inconclusive. But for the record.

I wonder... this kinda differs from the original topic, but I wonder whether the Barraki had powers in their original form. I'm assuming they did, because how on earth would they conquer the known universe if they were powerless. (I mean, yes I know Takadox always had his hypnosis abilities, but other than that). The weird thing is then, did the Pit Mutagen take away their powers, aside from Ehlek's spines, and a few "natural" abilities granted to them? I always wondered about that, because of all the Bionicle villains, they stood out to me as the least powerful beings as far as abilities go, (I mean take the year before, the Piraka were loaded with powers haha)

The Barraki were also described as "air-breathing peaks of physical perfection". I don't know, but being able to run 100 miles without getting tired, running at peak physical speed, lifting large amounts of weight, and/or jumping long distances would give a bit of an edge in a fight.

It also comes in as impressive, and being impressed and subsequent admiration sometimes does inspire loyalty. They also might have been high in the "smarts and goodlooks" category, which also can sway the masses. Note that this sort of loyalty is only so good as the person's fortunes based on whatever qualities they have, and if they lose those qualities or ability to please, they fade out of view. It's fickle.

Because a large amount of emphasis is put on how Pridak was extremely good-looking before his mutation, with even the narrator mentioning, from an objective point of view, that he was handsome, it's unlikely that Pridak had his mandibles prior to his mutation.

He could have been tremendously handsome within his own species, while other species would find him strange. Like, I'm sure all the vicious killer half-shark ladies of the ocean find him attractive. Of course, just reverse the mutated teeth look and the creepy beady eyes and you're essentially back to a standard humanoid BIONICLE being. If Web of Shadows told us anything it is that species does not necessarily determine relationships. Sidorak the gas mask-wearing Steltian warlord was obviously attracted to Roodaka the vaguely reptilian Vortixx lady, so anything that falls within "roughly humanoid" will likely be OK for BIONICLE beings. :P

I've seen some artists' interpretations of his pre-Pit form, and they all follow that same basic pattern. Humanoid, some fins on the armor, and an average-looking face without the crazy expression.

I see. I had so wished that lego had made official versions of them pre-mutation haha, just for the sake of knowing what each had really looked like (especially Ehlek and Takadox, since they're the most bizarre of the bunch in my opinion). I would've assumed that they would've had some sort of powers to begin with, because in my mind if they didn't, it wouldn't be hard for someone to send a skakdi assassin into their fortress and try to exterminate them, right? (also side note, it was stated that Ehlek's species was tampered with to be able to combat Makuta, so I'm assuming they gave him and his kind some sort of abilities to be able to stand up against the 42 power wielding maniacs lol)

Formerly Iron_Man5

Ehlek was given his protosteel claws by the Order of Mata Nui's tampering with his species, whether he was made to stand up against the 42 Kratta powers, it seems unlikely to me.

I've always seen the Pre-Pit Barraki as an interesting bunch; chances are they were the Hannibal Barca's, Julius Caeser's, and Genghis Khan's of the MU. The Barraki would have had looks, physique, natural leadership, and brains (especially for military tactics). Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Barraki's Armies and/or personal bodyguards would have stopped any assassin from getting to the Barraki, but even if someone did by-pass them, the Barraki are far from helpless. In one of the books, Pridak is seen lifting a guy by his throat and holding him in midair for at least a minute.

You know, come to think of it, since Mata Nui reversed all the Pit Mutations, doesn't that mean that the Barraki are back to being their powerless, yet strangely awesome® selves?

• Upvote 2

You know, come to think of it, since Mata Nui reversed all the Pit Mutations, doesn't that mean that the Barraki are back to being their powerless, yet strangely awesome® selves?

It was confirmed that they were. It was also confirmed that they were " probably thrilled" about it.

• Upvote 2