Supergiant's Next Game: Transistor

Click

I hope you guys have heard of Bastion. If not, I pity you. It's easily my favorite video game with great visuals, music, and an amazing storyline. If you haven't heard of it, go look it up right now!

Anyways, the creators of Bastion have done it again. They're releasing a new game: Transistor. It focuses on Red, a popular singer in the future. One night, five assassins break into her room and steal her voice, intending to kill her, but an amazing weapon, the Transistor, transports her across the city in the blink of an eye. She finds herself in an unfamiliar part of town being taken over by an army of robots called the Process, and as the game progresses, she discovers who tried to kill her, for what purpose, and the mysterious link between them, the Process, and the Transistor.

Personally, I'm really excited about this game. Supergiant Games knocked it out of the park with Bastion, and I can't wait for the blending of the art and music of Bastion with a Sci-Fi genre.

UPDATE: Transistor will be released May 20th for PlayStation and PC on Steam. Get excited!

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT55lch6y_U&feature=youtu.be

Official Website: http://supergiantgames.com/index.php/transistor/

So, what do you think?

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 1

Haha, I've had a Transistor theme in my blog here ever since it was announced. Needless to say, I am excite to no end. Bastion is one of my favorite games ever, if not my favorite, and Transistor looks like it will be pretty freaking sweet as well.

I've been trying to avoid first looks and the like, though, because I am totally buying Transistor the moment I can throw my moneys at them. However, I did see that the other day they announced that they were almost into the content-lock stage of development, which pretty much means "The game is gold, but we want to playtest it more and make it the best".

So yeah, I can't wait at all.

I was extremely late in boarding the Bastion bandwagon, so Transistor's timely release is going to save me from the pains of Supergiant-deprivation, which can only be viewed in a positive light. Here's hoping that everyone's favorite San Jose-located Development Studio does it again.

pNNgXax.jpg

I almost forgot about the new battle mechanic. Turn is a system that brings up a very Sci-Fi looking grid for you to plan where to move and use the Transistor's powers, then execute them at super speed. It can also be used in a few puzzles the game may include (I'm really happy about that last bit).

Personally, I'm a bit reluctant about Turn. It seems like a good system, but I don't usually play games with that kind of system. It will be really weird for me, and it may detract from the gameplay a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to Transistor very, very much.

I loved Bastion, to the point of it being one of my favourite games. I just hope Supergiant Games can deliver something of the same quality, or even better.

Also, it looks really cool.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

• 2 weeks later...

May 20th

Transistor Release

Excite

I just found out about this as well! I'm so excited! There's also some new screenshots out there with new enemies that look really cool. Building the Squirt has given me some ideas for building some of these Process bots. I may have to try it at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely LOVED Bastion and I can't wait for this game! I even cosplayed Red at Anime Boston this year. There's a picture on Tumblr but it's not that great, though...

From the trailer, the gameplay looks similar to Bastion, which is nice because I liked the way Bastion played (even though I kept falling off of things boo).

Once I have money/a new computer that doesn't belong to my high school, I'm definitely going to get it!

WHAT'S UP, BUTTERCUP???

As of like 30 minutes ago, Transistor is now out for preorder. 20 dollars for the game, 30 for the game + soundtrack.

And let's face it, you kinda have to buy the soundtrack. =P

So it's not odd I want the soundtrack more than the game? :D

Good find! I'll add it to the first post!

3 more days (depending on how you count it)! I'm personally going to wait until the first Steam Sale, which will hopefully be the first week. $20 is not a bad price for a game that looks and sounds like that, but I'm a cheapskate. :D

Having played a bit of Transistor now, I can say I love the way functions work and how they affect each other when passively on another.

Spoiler because some of the functions mentioned aren't unlocked right away:

Leads me to another question for those of us: what are your preferred functions? I really like Bounce() so far, and I love the Crash() function with a passive Breach().

Let me look at my current build. I've changed it a few times already, which is something I feel this game has over Bastion already. In Bastion I always found setup per run and just used that all the time, but I've changed my build so many times already in Transistor it is just crazy. xD

I have Spark() in a passive slot, with Crash() as my first with Load() as my upgrade there.

Slot Two, I have Breach() along with Bounce() as an upgrade.

Third and Forth slots are unupgraded Mask() and Jaunt(), respectively.

My strategy is pretty much jump in with Jaunt(), do tons of damage with Crash() and Breach() to all enemies around, then Mask until I can use Turn() again. Only lost one function so far, on the first boss.

I am loving the heck out of this game.

Okay, so today I completed the story.

Spoilers, obviously, so don't read the following unless you've completed the story.

vSTORY SPOILERSv

That final boss fight. So cool. Good thing I pretty much exclusively used Turn(), so I became very quickly acquainted with the system. Also, that ending. So bittersweet. I guess... it makes sense when you're the last one left.

Plus, my current load-out at level 11 is now Void() with Crash() as an upgrade (weakens and makes enemies vulnerable) in slot 1. In slot 2, I have Cull() with Load() and Flood(). In the third slot, I have Jaunt() with Ping(). In the fourth slot, I have Mask().

In my two passive slots, I have Switch() and Breach(), meaning I spawn a badcell when I collect cells and have 20% more planning potential in Turn(), which I use a lot. Really, the functions you get at level 8+ or so are really powerful and useful. Void + void + void = 350% debuff. Pair that with the crash on the upgrade and that's another damage boost. Use Mask(), and that's another damage boost when you reveal yourself. Use Cull(), which is really powerful with Load(), and you easily do 500-1000 damage.

^STORY SPOILERS^

In response to Portal:

Try using Crash() (making enemy vulnerable), then using Mask() to conceal yourself and maybe Jaunt() to get behind an enemy, then use Breach() to get the crash + unmask + backstab damage modifiers. I really can't stress how much backstabbing things saves a lot of time (IMO), it makes you do more damage. By the way, since you beat the first boss, I assume you have Help()? Its passive slot effect is really nice when it activates, at least in the earlier parts of the game.

I lost two functions at the first boss, and for a few battles after that I kept losing functions. Eventually I figured out I was using functions that didn't really suit my playstyle. Still, I'm really loving just how much variety you can have. Although it can be a struggle trying to fit in the memory limit sometimes... and I'm really inclined to change my build. In Bastion, all I ever used was the Cael Hammer, Calamity Cannon, Fang Repeater, and Dual Pistols. Here I feel like I should use a lot more.

Just finished the story.

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHH

that final boss fight

that credits

i don't know what to do with myself

looking forward to starting my Recursion, though.

Hearing Red at the end ;-;

I will have more coherent thoughts about the game in a little while. for now, though, all i will say is that this game will likely be played as much as I played Bastion, if not more.

and Void()+Crash()+Load() along with a really damage buffed Breach() is, quite frankly, amazing.

woo

i think i will have to go lay down for a while

So basically non-spoiler review is go buy this game now it is so good oh my gosh

• 5 weeks later...

Transistor is on sale (25% off) on Steam for the next day. I already picked it up! Can't wait to play!

EDIT: Oh my goodness, this game is so much harder than I thought. The 2.0 stompy guys (because their name is edited out on BZP) kill me every time, and I lose an ability. Also, 

Sybil was the hardest boss fight I've ever played. I can't wait to get to the next one!

It's still even more beautiful and amazing than I could have hoped. I watched the E3 preview before everything was finalized, but now with all the little animations like birds and the trail of the sword, the game has so much more ambiance to it.

Edited by Click