Hydraxon/Maxilos masks.

So I'm a huge Hydraxon fan, and I was so pumped when I saw that both he and Maxilos came with new "kanohi". Or so I thought. I was so eager to read about them in the comics/books, etc and find out what new mask powers that they would have, but then I found out that they weren't Kanohi, but just powerless helmets. :( So, that left Hydraxon not having any powers at all, but only used weapons to fight (which I admit, is very cool). Yes Maxilos got OP because he got possessed by Makuta, and of course he's only a robot, and it makes sense that he wouldn't have a mask power. But Hydraxon? I was at least hoping that the jailer of the Pit would get a cool mask power, especially when he was given a new "mask" shape for his set. :confused: Did anyone else feel this way about those two?

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I was just happy to have new models, it didn't really occur to me that we were missing out on new Kanohi powers. I suppose it was a wasted opportunity? But there are so many masks that I dunno if another two would matter to me thaaat much. And I think it's nicer when some characters don't really have too many powers to rely on, it makes it more interesting when they have to deal with situations with limited resources and abilities at their disposal.

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

I've been thinking about this myself lately, for Hydraxon specifically. I didn't mind it at the time, because I couldn't afford to actually buy the sets and wasn't sure if they actually connected like masks anyways, and I have nothing against non-Matoran-species characters in Bionicle not wearing masks. In hindsight, since they put Hydraxon's mask in LDD, I wish it was a real mask with a power.

It could make sense with the character, too. On the other hand, I like the idea of a weapons master not using any powers at all. :shrugs: I presume that's what they were going for, along with just having variety and not overburdening the youngest fans with so many powers to keep track of. So, probably some real-world issues interfering with it there for good reasons, but whether it's good or bad in this case I find debatable.

Maxilos I think definitely fits better as just a face, since it's a robot. But they could have "brick-built" a face instead of misleading fans into expecting another mask power, yeah.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

And plus, Axxon and Brutaka got really cool masks powers, and they were the first non matoran characters we get as sets to have mask powers. I guess I was expecting a bit too much from Hydraxon. (Well, Umbra didn't get a mask power to go with his Ruru, but he was OP anyways lol)

Formerly Iron_Man5

I always thought it to be funny that Maxilo's helmet looks like Turagas Dume's Kiril

I personally thought it looked more like a Hau.

Yeah, plus it was bright red, so that completed more of the Hau look. But it did look cool with all the gadgets sticking out of it. I once used it for a MOC and gave that character a cool power for it (can't remember exactly what it was), but it looked really cool. (plus I have used the metallic grey Vezon heads that came with the set for other characters. Totally epic)

Formerly Iron_Man5