The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

I would suggest against copying too much from Bionifight. It was very successful true, it also had a lot of problems.

For example the three items/powers rules is rather unnecessary. Nobody had it before Bionifight and any problems that arose had nothing to do with that lack. Just use common sense to tell if a person can bring his tank to the island or not.

Either I could do that, or have players think up their own traps to save me time to think things up.

Not much point to the trap if it's attacking the same guy who came up with it.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I would suggest against copying too much from Bionifight. It was very successful true, it also had a lot of problems.

For example the three items/powers rules is rather unnecessary. Nobody had it before Bionifight and any problems that arose had nothing to do with that lack. Just use common sense to tell if a person can bring his tank to the island or not.

Either I could do that, or have players think up their own traps to save me time to think things up.

Not much point to the trap if it's attacking the same guy who came up with it.

Just gonna emphasize Silvan's advice here about basing anything in your RPG off of Bionifight. It was a very unique case, and even what did work about it I think you would be hard-pressed to make succeed elsewhere.

I loved Bionifight, but it feels like this RPG has really taken the survival/competition aspects of the game, and nothing else. No plot, no mystery, nothing beyond a bunch of characters strolling around an island fighting and stuff. 

As it is, I don't think that aspect on its own is going to be enough to make for a workable RPG. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I loved Bionifight, but it feels like this RPG has really taken the survival/competition aspects of the game, and nothing else. No plot, no mystery, nothing beyond a bunch of characters strolling around an island fighting and stuff. 

As it is, I don't think that aspect on its own is going to be enough to make for a workable RPG. 

Hey, isn't that the BZPRPG?

No. Not even remotely. The BZPRPG has a staff-controlled overarching plot, and a heavy emphasis on character development and interaction beyond mindless fighting. 

• Upvote 4

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Vault of Apophis (GMed by Sassy Dalmation)

Introduction

Captain Taurus's message to the universes: The battle of the light and darkness, Teridax and Mata Nui, was but a feud in the vast cosmos. In one dimension, the battle raged on, but it had no effect in others. All things considered, it was tame. But it was still enough.

While the battle raged around us, the chaos caused by the battle woke something. Not all the way, thank Mata Nui, or we would all be dead. But now, we have a serious, serious threat on our hands. Something that, if not stopped, will spread throughout the universe- all of them.

This vault we fight on has changed drastically. When we first arrived to find a place for the Mask of Creation, these caverns echoed with joy.

Now, it's a war zone. It all changed when... It showed up. I know not what exactly this thing is, but I know one thing: It wishes to destroy us. All of us, whether you are a simple Rahi, or a Makuta to be feared. It has the will, and it has the power.

The only thing keeping it back is the vault door, sealed by powerful enchantments. Now, people can get in via teleportation, but no one can get out, until the being is dead.

In a rage, the thing started picking us off, one by one, until there were too few of us to pose a threat. Now, we need help. I am transmitting this message on all channels, across all the verses. If there is any way you can get to us, then teleport to these global coordinates. Believe me, the Vault will be there.

Story:

The vault, a secret buried with treasures beyond imagination, has fallen to a god, or something worse: Isfet. What it is is... Unclear. Some say it is a god filled with malice and rage. Others that it is a collection of vengeful spirits. Even more say it is the primordial force of Chaos.

But what is clear is clear is that its energies are chaotic, corruptive, and a force to be feared. It possesses the ability to set a singular point locked out of space and time as we know it, so that no matter what universe you're in, the vault will always be there- a perfect strategy to conquer the multiverse. Its powers circle the island, as well as it's minions. It hoards relics that could harm it, to prevent anything from taking care of it for good.

Locations

Everyone is trapped in a vault, if you could call it that. In reality, the "Vault" is a massive underground network, with passages connecting huge caverns. In each of these caverns, one should expect to find surprises in each one.

The Obelisk

The Obelisk is the central base of operations for the soldiers. It consists of sleeping quarters, as well as a dining hall and a farm, to grow the food. Normally, it would take months for a full blown harvest, but with the help of Plandaí, we are able to keep a steady supply of food on the table. In addition to these basic needs, we have a simple training ground outside(a generous term, really. It's just a dirt floor, with several training dummies scattered around) and the Obelisk itself- what used to be a simple(Hardly simple- it was a massive tower dedicated to the Mask.) shrine to the Mask of Creation is now the control center and lookout tower for the soldiers. Where the altar once was, there is now a war table, where all the meetings are held.

The Chaos Lake

This is a cavern that is filled with water. What was once a source of fresh water is now the base for the Ya'ew Isfet. At first glance, it appears to be simply a lake, but upon closer inspection, one can see the water is tinted with the colors of chaos. If one were to throw themself into the water, they would either disintegrate... Or worse, become infected. However, it's what below the surface that matters. Underneath the waves is a fortress of massive proportions, and is home to the Ya'ew Isfet, though home may be a bad term, considering what the Ya'ew are. "Storage facility" would be a better term. Even so, there is a massive shrine to Isfet in the temple, as well as a vast number of weapons, taken from the deceased. The land around the temple is cracked, as if something has been trying to break through...

The Stone Forest

The Stone Forest was once a real forest within the cavern, to provide oxygen. But when Isfet came around, the trees became stone, and as such, other methods were needed. Now, this area is a battle field, simply put. Here is the main conflict, because the two groups fight for control over the entrance to the Labyrinth.

The Labryinth of the Cursed

This area, located below the main area of the Vault, is interesting in that it is not truly a cavern, but rather something else. It is a vast maze, made so that if any robbers were to come for the Mask, they would almost certainly get lost within its depths and die by the Labryinth's guardians, the Medjay. Now, though, Isfet sees it as a storage facility for any relics. He has infected the Medjay with his blight, created puzzles and traps for its amusement, and has placed his some of his numbers to guard it with the Medjay. To journey into this area, you must have a purpose, which is to search for a relic. Other than that, this area is off limits, due to the safety risks.

The Soldiers

The soldiers are a group of rebels against Isfet, fighting to put an end to the being. Some of them have come here out of their own free will. Others were sentenced here as an alternate punishment to prison, to fight for their freedom... Or die trying. Others still have been paid as mercenaries, and simply want their money.

Your job as soldiers are to defend the Mask of Creation against these minions, and, whenever possible, recover these artifacts. These expeditions could either be GM led, or organized by the players, with the GM setting out obstacles for the players to overcome. If there is no request to start up a playerled expedition, then the GM will organize one every couple of weeks.

The Ya'ew Isfet

The Ya'ew Isfet were previously soldiers, who were defeated by Isfet. They were then transformed by the being, with their soul being destroyed by it. Their skin seems to be glowing blood red and black, and their eyes glow with the power of chaos. They need no food, sleep, or drink. The Ya'ew Isfet are completely and unfailingly loyal to Isfet, though the newer warriors are stronger, and have a bit more personality. Some of the most intelligent can even speak, something not normal for a being with no soul.

As a Ya'ew Isfet, you have one goal: Snuff out the life in the vault, and destroy the Mask of Creation, whatever the cost. Your previous life doesn't matter. Your friends shall burn, or join you soon enough. Now is the time to rise, to have your revenge on the world so cruel.

The Relics

The relics at first glance, have nothing in common, or have no powers. When you step back to look at the larger picture, however, you notice one thing they all have in common- they are symbolic. So far, we have seen Isfet hoard things we could not explain, such as Bohrok shells or a simple yellow Hau. How this would effect Isfet is uncertain, but Isfet has been hiding them from us, leaving little trace, meaning they have to pose some sort of danger to Isfet. The only thing known about their location is that they are in the Labryinth of the Cursed.

The Medjay

Unfortunately, finding the relics is... Difficult, to say the least. The Medjay are not just guardians in the Labryinth, but within each of their bodies is a relic. Each relic they contain gives them a different power, giving us a slight clue as to what sort of item it is. They are very slow, towering, hunched back, extraordinarily strong, and their armor is near indestructible . Emphasis on near. If one tried to solo one of these, then they would more than likely get brutally murdered, or, now that they are corrupted, infected with the Chaos. However, in a group of three, it is likely you can kill them. There is a weak spot on it's back, which with it's hunchback is right on top of him. Two would keep it's attention, while the third would come down with a sword on it's back. Just watch out: Each Medjay has a unique ability, making them unpredictable.

Death

Normally, death is a permanent end. But here, that is not the case.

If you as a soldier are killed by one of the Ya'ew Isfet, you can return back as a Ya'ew Isfet yourself, fighting against those who would oppose your new master.

This would require some reworking of the profile, but all that would really be changed would be the appearance. The minions of chaos all have a unified color scheme, representing chaos: glowing blood red and black.

Now, this is all optional, of course, if you cannot deal with the heartbreak of watching your character's free will be destroyed. They can just die a hero's death. Also, if you fall on your sword and die or something like that, you cannot be reborn in the chaos. Also, if you die and you are already a Ya'ew, you are dead. Permanently.

Profiles

Name: Self explanatory

Gender: Does your character identify as male, female, or something else? Please try to keep it within the norm, no identifying as a piano or something just as ridiculous.

Species: What are you? Are you a:

Matoran

Toa

Rahi

Makuta

Skakdi

Vortixx

Steltian Brute

Steltian Elite

Above is a list of some species, but you can choose any species you want, from canon to your own world.

Allegiance: Who are they fighting for? Isfet, or the universe?

Gear: What do they fight with? What powers do they have? Be creative, but don't give your character a nuclear-chainsaw-lightsaber that can blow up the planet.

Powers: What Powers do they have, if any? Don't go over board on the powers. If you are playing as a Makuta, then there is a maximum of three Makuta powers.

Appearance: Self explanatory

Personality: What are they like? What skills do they have?

Bio: Self Explanatory

GM Characters

Name: Taurus

Species: Steltian Elite

Allegiance: Soldier

Gear: Taurus has heavy armor, to protect his "life support suit." In addition to that, however, he has a large broadsword with teeth along it's edges, and a shotgun that fires electric rounds. While the rounds do not do as much physical harm, they can deliver a nasty shock, possibly even stunning the target for a few seconds.

Powers: None

Appearance: Taurus is a large Steltian Elite, with heavy black armor and piercing blue eyes. He is slightly hunchbacked, most likely due to the armor. He wears an oxygen mask, and has two horns, for exhaling waste.

Personality: Taurus is intelligent, and generally humble... Or at least tries to. Due to his Elite nature, he can seem a little conceited and arrogant. He also dislikes the higher ups, as they remind him of Sidorak. That said, Taurus is a fighter, and will vehemently defend his men. he is the field commander, and will lead the quests for the relics.

Bio: Taurus was once a colonel in Stelt's army, until Sidorak sent him on a mission that would lead to his paralyzation and his team's death. Abandoned on the shoreline, a passing Dark Hunter decided to take mercy on him, and took him to Odina. While there he was provided a complex suit that would keep him alive. Now rearmed and with the Dark Hunters, Taurus rose through the ranks... Until the battle of Mata Nui and Teridax.

Now that he was out, he was tasked to go with an organization to build the massive vault, and he oversaw the construction of the Labryinth. When Isfet emerged, he became the field commander... Until his forces were eradicated. Desperate for help, Taurus called out to the universes, to gain aid.

Name: Plandaí

Species: Toa

Alliance: Soldier

Gear: Plandaí possesses two simple wrist blades. But, in addition to that, they have a massive coking supply, consisting of pots and pans, various utensils, ranging from knives to a whisk to a grater. They also have various spices, sauces, and oils to cook with, as well as any seed you can imagine.

Powers: Plandaí is a Plantlife Toa, so they have control over plants. They also have a Great Hau, in a Metru style.

Appearance: Plandaí is a teal and green toa, about average size. They possess a Metru style Hau.

Personality: Plandaí is generally calm, but in a firefight, they can fight like a demon. That said, they normally stay back, helping feed the army, and all. Just note, Plandaí is a vegan, so don't complain about the lack of meat to them. They will give no sympathy to you.

Bio: Plandaí was always a Toa who liked to stay away from fighting, and help the Matoran in other ways. As such, when Teridax was defeated, Plandaí went with the group simply to feed them... Before getting caught up in the war against Isfet.

Edited by Sassy Dalmation

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg

Again, I'm seeing a lot of Bionifight influences here.

• You're pulling in characters from loads of universes, just like Bionifight. 
  • They're all trapped on an island, like in the Landfall part.
  • There are GM controlled quests to find these relics, just like the gem quests. 
  • There's an evil god or something that players are trying to prevent from rising, again like in Landfall. 
  • Even the option to come back to life is kind of similar to Bionifight's revival system. 

I'd perhaps suggest trying to rework this idea a bit so it doesn't feel so much like a remake of Landfall. 

I'm always up for beating up an eldritch god or two. It is pretty bare bones at the moment though. Could do with with things like a map, descriptions of what the relics are like, more info on the factions. Stuff like that.

True, the RPG does have some callbacks to Bionifight but it's hardly a carbon copy.

They're all trapped on an island, like in the Landfall part.

Nine out of ten RPGs take place on a singular island. And a fair number of those have you stuck on said island.

There are GM controlled quests to find these relics, just like the gem quests.

This is how almost every single RPG plays.

There's an evil god or something that players are trying to prevent from rising, again like in Landfall.

This is also actually more common in RPGs than you might think. It makes for a great long term player goal and/or final boss.

• Upvote 2

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Again, I'm seeing a lot of Bionifight influences here.

• You're pulling in characters from loads of universes, just like Bionifight. 
  • They're all trapped on an island, like in the Landfall part.
  • There are GM controlled quests to find these relics, just like the gem quests. 
  • There's an evil god or something that players are trying to prevent from rising, again like in Landfall. 
  • Even the option to come back to life is kind of similar to Bionifight's revival system. 
I'd perhaps suggest trying to rework this idea a bit so it doesn't feel so much like a remake of Landfall.

The more I look at it, the more I see it... Yeah, I'm definitely going to change some of these things around. The island was the easiest for me to come up with. Quests... I'll think of something. Same with characters, though that is really easy to fix. I don't think I'm going to do away with the god or revival system... Not yet, at least. If a lot of people feel it draws too many similarities to Bionifight, I'll drop them. I feel like the revive system in this game is much more punishing. Sure, you can still play as them, but any emotion they ever felt? Gone. What's left is an empty shell. As for Isfet itself, I feel like having some supreme deity not gain a cult of followers, but literally strip his victims of everything orderly, replacing it with a hunger to destroy everything... That's pretty different from the gods in Bionifight. The goals are similar, yes, but I feel like Isfet is a much more original way for a bunch of soulless demons to attack the living, than say, some sort of infection. I'll keep Isfet in for now...

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

@ Silvan: I'm aware that most of those things, on their own, aren't exactly unique ideas. I was merely commenting on the fact that it seemed to share a lot of characteristics with the Landfall section of Bionifight. 

@Sassy: It does admittedly sound like fun playing as a mindless, resurrected servant of evil...

Coming from the girl who helped run the thing, I'm not really seeing the influences as much.

• As Silvan pointed out, gods to defeat are common, especially when it's not sure [ii]what[/i] it is, other than being ancient. City in the Sky was planned to end in a similar fashion, as the Constructs were planned to lead up to some sort of ancient evil thing, created by the Great Beings because they're jerks.
  • Islands are also common, especially considering that's pretty much everything you see; from the BZPRPG, to Island of Pain, to Day Run, to Trapped In A Map, to... Well, I'm not as familiar with the newer stuff, but it's really easier to have an island, since you can flesh out more areas without having things players will never get to. It was a downfall of CitS because of that, we went too big.
  • The revival system is as far from Bionifight as you can get; it looks to only work once, one way, and exclusively for the evil faction. Not really many bright sides to it, and you lose free will to boot.
  • GM quests are also pretty common; did it in pretty much all the RPGs I mentioned earlier. xD

The only thing I'd say is similar is pulling from different universes; but even that's more the natural progression from Bionifight. We gave people a taste of being able to link RPGs without having a convoluted thing... I'd honestly be more surprised if we didn't see more RPGs with cross universe stuff. xP

I can see why everything at once would give the idea, but you've gotta step back a bit and look to see the wider picture; as it's because of everything combined that I can tell this wasn't mostly Bionifight based. =P Maybe some innate inspiration, but...

I'm always up for beating up an eldritch god or two. It is pretty bare bones at the moment though. Could do with with things like a map, descriptions of what the relics are like, more info on the factions. Stuff like that.

True, the RPG does have some callbacks to Bionifight but it's hardly a carbon copy.

They're all trapped on an island, like in the Landfall part.

Nine out of ten RPGs take place on a singular island. And a fair number of those have you stuck on said island.

There are GM controlled quests to find these relics, just like the gem quests.

This is how almost every single RPG plays.

I need to write more RPGs. 

Good thing I have none of those things currently going for me, then.

Or is that a bad thing? I need to get out more...

Anyway, just figured I'd throw out some updates as to how Relentless (See? There's one right there!) is coming along.

1. Backstory - This has become a little more fleshed out, both to set the stage for what's currently going on in the universe and to address the majority of things that the characters will have to adapt to. More specifically, the game takes place somewhere on an alternate Bara Magna while a certain Makuta is still in control of the GSR, and I can say for a fact that a Great Being will be involved somewhere down the line, but hopefully you'll forgive me if I don't go into any further detail since things are still being ironed out.

2. Subspecies - Probably going to get some comments here since people had some things to say about the number of playable species last time around, but sub-species are now a thing as well. While some of them, such as Toa and Turaga will be available right off the bat, I'm considering holding a few of them back for the occasional hostile NPC or even potential quest "rewards," just so that things aren't too crazy in the beginning.

3. Hybrid Species - Again, expecting comments, but I'm considering making these a thing as well. Keep in mind that powers and traits will be capped accordingly, and that the the parent species attempting to, well, you know, have to be at least somewhat compatible with each other beforehand (so essentially no Vortixx/Matoran or Zyglak/Glatorian). The finished concept should have a table somewhere attached to it, specifying what is/isn't allowed too, just to avoid confusion, and there's going to be a limit to how many genetic strains can go into a character (probably somewhere around two or three).

4. An actual Character Sheet prototype - Nothing too special, but here's a look anyway:

Name: Self-explanatory. What does your character call themself?

Species: What lineage does your character hail from?

Subspecies: Does your character differ from a normal specimen of their species? If so, how?

Gender: Does your character consider themself male, female, both, neither, or something completely different?

Alignment: Is your character good, evil, neutral, or do they simply sell their morality to the highest bidder?

Kanohi (if applicable): What type of mask does your character wear on their face?

Powers: What abilities does your character have access to?

Weaknesses: What is your character weak against? What are their faults?

Weapons: What does your character wield to defend themself with? (Leave empty during Character Creation)

Gear: What does your character tend to carry on their person in order to help themself survive? (Leave empty during Character Creation)

Technological Items: What interesting items has your character obtained throughout the course of the game? (Leave empty during Character Creation)

Appearance: What does your character look like?

Personality and Traits: Does your character have any defining quirks or habits?

Bio: Insert your character's backstory here.

Funds: Reserved space for the widgets your character may find while out scavenging or earn by other means. (Leave empty during Character Creation)

Barter Items: Reserved space for objects of value your character may find while out scavenging or earn by other means. (Leave empty during Character Creation)

5. Location List - Some additional info concerning the actual locations, though I'm still keeping the main setting under wraps at this time. The first twelve essentially go around in a circle clockwise, while the last four are actually layered on top of one another in the center.

Immediately Accessible Areas

Ignis, Region of Fire - Volcanic region.

Ferrum, Region of Iron - Mechanical city.

Lapis, Region of Stone - Mining region.

Arena, Region of Sand - Desert location.

Terra, Region of Earth - Underground city.

Sonitus, Region of Sound - Canyon region.

Glaciem, Region of Ice - Frozen woodlands.

Fulgur, Region of Lightning - Mountainous region blanketed by a constant storm.

Aqua, Region of Water - Underwater city submerged in a lake.

Truncatis, Region of Jungle - Dense area packed with foliage.

Ventus, Region of Air - Towering city built on a hilly area.

Sol, Region of Plasma - An extremely luminous city with scorched surroundings.

Unlockable Areas

Gravitatem, Region of Gravity (Bottom) - Antigravitational area containing essential equipment (concerning undisclosed story material) and an ancient prison network that's no longer in use.

Magnetismi, Region of Magnetism - Contains devices that ensure the safety of (insert setting here), along with other stuff, such as life-support systems.

Cerebrum, Region of Psionics - Essentially the command center of... whoops, almost gave it away again. Used to monitor the other areas, but has long since gone dark.

Lux, Region of Light (Top) - The previous living area of the aforementioned Great Being who used to run the place, and her contingent of guards. Locked off for so long that nobody even knows if anyone still resides there.

6. Spawn Points - Remember those things I introduced a while back to prevent character spread? This is how they're set up.

Point 1 - Connects Ignis, Ferrum, and Lapis.

Point 2 - Connects Lapis, Arena, and Terra

Point 3 - Connects Terra, Sonitus, and Glaciem

Point 4 - Connects Glaciem, Fulgur, and Aqua

Point 5 - Connects Aqua, Truncatis, and Ventus

Point 6 - Connects Ventus, Sol, and Ignis

As you can see, each point only has three regions in the immediate vicinity, and as mentioned in the previous teaser post, characters begin the game in groups. Six regions are specifically tied to one point in particular, while the others essentially bridge the distance between them. As well as instituting these designated areas to spawn in, the GM(s) will also be preparing a little... surprise for them shortly after their arrival, meaning that even if players decide to split off from the main group, it's extremely likely that they'll all be heading in the same direction and that separation won't likely occur until they've actually entered a specific region (decided by group majority). So in other words, only about six of the immediately available areas (max) should be active at any given time.

Feel free to comment, critique, or whatever; I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and here's a link back to the first post, just to put things into perspective. Kudos to FallenAtlas for making this easier for me to do.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• Why do I get the feeling people are going to find ways to increase their character's strength without breaking rules when it comes to subspecies and hybrids? I can't think of any ways to do so, but players like the admins, Nato, Sergei, Click or even Ghidorah could probably come up with a loophole.

It's an interesting idea making the players start with nothing, is this to avoid people starting out with OP items?

It's good that you are trying to limit player spread, but what if a player doesn't find any of the six active areas interesting enough? And when will a map be created? 

Edited by Arnold Schwarzenegger

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

-Why do I get the feeling people are going to find ways to cheat the system when it comes to subspecies and hybrids? I can't think of any ways to do so, but players like the admins, Nato, Sergei, Click or even Ghidorah could probably come up with a loophole.

I'm a little confused by this - care to elaborate?

So you're saying the more skilled players cheat, somehow? Because I think more than a few of the people whose names you listed there - especially the admins - would take offence to that implication. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think that's what he is implying at all, Nato. I think what he is implying is that experienced players are very, very good at finding the ways to make characters as powerful as possible within the rules. Which is not only true, but I can think of a few off the top of my head (myself included every now and again) that do so for kicks.

He's not implying cheating, he's implying that we're good at finding the loopholes to min-max with.

• Upvote 7

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Okay, fair enough. The use of the phrase "cheat the system" threw me off a bit, I guess...

• Upvote 1

I myself would like present my idea. I have a few things I'd like to edit. But I thought I'd like to see some critiques.

THE TOWER

GMs: ArcticFreeze17/Shard the Gemknight Toa, me. But I might ask for people to aid as CoGMs.

Story Introduction:
You rematerialize in the capsule, revived, and are dropped into the energized protodermis. You don’t really remember what killed you. A saw trap, failed puzzle, classic fist to the face? It’s all the same by this point. The energized protodermis heals you, revives you, and changes you. It may take away your memories, your knowledge, or your sanity, but no matter what it does, it can never take away this one burning desire.

To escape this underground Karzahni.

You have realized that you are alive again, and have resurfaced with a new body and tools. You decide to sit and reminisce what has happened to you so far.

Actual Introduction:

So this RP has elements that is very roguelike. Expect to die a lot by RNG generated traps, especially if you go solo, which at that point you’ll just overwhelmed. In fact, knowing how good you guys play the game, I feel that you guys should be able to progress through the floors quickly in teams. :P

General Backstory:

It began when you have been punished by the Great Beings for a crime that would’ve been punishable by death, but because of your indomitable will and willingness to repent, you have been chosen to partake in a more creative punishment instead.

They had constructed a some form of underground dungeon for this purpose. The goal was simple, get to the top, defeat the creature on that floor, then you may perhaps be able to return to society. They teleported you to the base level, where you had access to weapon forges, bedrooms, and a seemingly endless food/energy storage. In the center of the room is a pool of energized protodermis and at one side of the floor, is a staircase upward. You don’t understand the point of this punishment. If they expected you to kill yourself in the pool, then they’ve got another thing coming. You forge a sword and go out through the stairs. You’d return to the surface and find a way to prove your worth.

You were deadly wrong. As well as actually dead.

On the first floor, you were assaulted by a couple Rahi, and died to an unforeseen strike to the back. But instead of dying, you rematerialized in the capsule above the pool. So this is what this was for. You would relive, become transformed, and live multiple lives until you were destined to die. This is your punishment.

And here you are again. This time you aren’t alone. Some other people have been sent to this place as punishment and have grown into a small and tightly knit community now named the Incarnates. You are happy when a friend drops a loaf of bread in your lap.

After eating, you decided to check yourself out.

Profile:

As of now, there are no limits on players, but there may be limits in the future if this becomes popular. Due to the way how the game functions, you may have to edit your profile(s) a lot. When a character dies, you have the choice of killing him/her/it/they forever, or resurrecting said character into a new form.

Name: Who do you associate yourself as now? You may chose to keep your old name, but perhaps you’d like to be someone else.

Species: What have the fates decided for you? You may be any of the canon species with the exception of Marendars and those composed of antidermis or antidermis-like material. If you are unsure about the species you want to pick, ask the GMs.

Powers: It’s pretty logical. Certain species will have certain powers that work under certain conditions. Toa would have an elemental power. Skakdi would a elemental power that would work alongside another Skakdi and a vision power. So on, and so forth. Teleportation or reality manipulation of any kind, however, is negated and rendered useless in the tower,

Weapons/Tech: Kanohi and weapons go here. Note that you may lose them in the floor where you died, so sometimes, you might be lucky enough to find the weapons of past selves of you or other people in the dungeon floors. GMs will usually decide which items will drop by RNG.

Appearance: What do you look like? Image or detail description shall do.

Biography: What did you do before you went here, before all your reincarnated selves, what did your original body go through.?

Personality: What is your current outlook on life? You may adopt personality traits of the species you become, or retain your current personality.

The Tower:

Back on your feet you decide to check out the strategy plans for the floors. So far not many people have been able to get past the first few floors, but soon…

The tower consists of an unknown amount of floors, but it is possible to get to the surface. The floors and walls are at least 2 bios thick and are all made of protosteel. The building is warded from any mean of escape. They can teleport you in, but no one can teleport out.

To avoid the boredom of having to go through every floor when you die, I’ve devised an RNG memory system that will randomly decide how much of the floors you’ll remember. Then when you return to the dungeon you’ll be able to start at that point and will be able to continue from there, adding a little variety.

Floor 1 - Limbo:

The floor you are in is known as Limbo, the haven that you would exit to go up the floors of Karzahni to reach salvation.

The Pool: The place where people are reborn after they have died somewhere on the upper floors. Some people choose to hang around to study the deceased, as they rematerialize above the pool in the pods that resurrect them, before they are doused in the liquid.

The Forge: A series of forges that don’t emit any smoke, but allows for the making on any weapon if you know how to build it.

The Infirmary: It’s full of medicines that get replaced often. People come in here from spars in the empty spaces of Limbo or from the Training Grounds above if they can’t be healed by Formace

The Mess Hall: Not really a mess hall, but a floor where everyone sits and eats. There’s a kitchen at the far side of the room where some of the community cooks and prepares the food.

The Bedrooms: It’s simply a room with a bunch of beds. First come, first served. You may be on one bed, the next time you return you’ll be on another.

The Stairway: There are stairways on all the floors, but this one is the most special, it is the last step outside safety.

Floor 2 - Training Grounds:

The second floor has been pretty much conquered and the community in general calls it the Training Grounds. The floor spawns weak creatures. You can still be killed if you aren’t careful, so groups of people will come up to do some population control to make sure others don’t get overwhelmed.

Floor 3 - Sandstorm:

Upon leaving the stairway that leads into this room, you are met by buffeting sandstorms. As far as people have been able to remember, the room is very similar to a place on the island of Mata Nui. You might come across used pointy flags or polearms here. Also it has been rumored that Sand Bats and Sand Screamers hiding within the sands.

Floor 4 - Challenge Room:

This room is a special room where your fate is determined by the numbers and is pretty common. The room changes every time it is empty so when one person encounters a bunch of traps in this room, another may be in an encounter with a mini boss monster. Who knows? Not me.

Floor 5 - Windswept:

A floor that contains a large grassland, complete with flora, fauna, and wind. It was like stepping outside, but in an artificially lit room. To get to the next stairway, simply follow the green brick road. while fending off the feral Earth Burnak and Gafna and avoiding the traps hidden on the floors of the room.

Floor 6 - Challenge Room:

Similar to floor 4.

Floor 7 - Hiveground:

So far, not many Toa have passed this floor alone. And those who did can’t remember the floor above. The whole room is a hive and is the perfect environment for the Nui-Kopen that spawn and dwell in it. Pools of honey coat the floor. You may find smoke bombs hidden within a couple of the honeycombs, left behind by others.

Floor 8 - ???:

This is the room that no one is able to beat, and for some indiscernible reason, no one is able to remember it. All anyone can remember is that the room still has a hive motif and they had the strongest urge to taste the glowing honey. Once they took a sip, there was a large echo-y buzzing sound, and that was all they could remember. Those that witness the deceased as they rematerialize see that they have gaping holes all over their body as if they have been impaled multiple times in quick succession.

The Final Floor - ???:

Everyone knows this floor, it’s the floor that the Great Beings told them to reach. You don’t know how long it’ll take, but if you and/or your team manage to get there and beat whatever they’ve put up there, you get to go free.

As the game progress, more floors will be put into a separate document and will be linked to. There will be

Events:

There are a couple of events that shall be listed here.

NPCs:

Name: Eternio

Species: Originally a Toa of Air. Various forms included a Sand Glatorian and one of Brutaka’s species, He is currently in the form of a Skakdi of Fire.

Powers: He currently wields the fire element when working with another Skakdi. He also has illusion vision, able to create a hologram where he is looking at.

Weapons/Tech:

• He has crafted a new sword that has a heatstone wielded in it allow the blade to heat up with using his powers.

• He actually wears a Kanohi Calix. He is able to use its powers drawing on the memories and willpower of his original form.

Appearance: Currently he is a tall Skakdi who is red and black. His eyes are honey yellow. His Calix is black.

Biography: Originally he was once a thief who simply took money from middle class folk, and eventually got caught by the when he accidently pickpocketed someone who had too much power. Although he was going to be punished with death, he managed to get pity out of the corrupt judge by telling him the story of his life and about how he just needed things to live. He became the first to enter the Tower. He has made it up to the tenth floor at one point but doesn’t really remember much about anything beyond the fourth floor. As the elected leader of the Incarnates, he does the majority of the cleaning, healing, and cooking so that everyone is healthy and well rested for the journey above.

Personality: He is a generally optimistic person, and is respected by everyone as without him, Limbo would surely stop being a Haven. He often goes around delegating idlers to assist him in his tasks.

GM: ArcticFreeze17/Shard the Gemknight Toa

Name: Formace

Species: Axxon’s species

Powers: He has great strength, accompanied with the ability to heal minor injuries. He can also fire electrical energy blasts.

Weapons/Tech:

• He wields a large hammer that can attack or be used for forging weapons.

• He wears a Kanohi Pakari.

Appearance: Like Axxon, he is large and massive, and heavily armored in silver and orange.

Biography: He was once an honest smith, but got sent here after killing someone in self-defense. Although not as punishable by death, they sent him there, not to participate, but as to help the Incarnates with weapon forging. If any one of his weapons makes it to the surface, he’ll be let out.

Personality: He is loyal to the Incarnates, making sure each weapon is worth something so that they will be well protected out in the Tower. Although he is allured by freedom, he loves nothing more than the sounds of the forge. If need be he can heal the minor injuries of those who come from the Training Grounds.

GM: ArcticFreeze17/Shard the Gemknight Toa

Edited by Shard the Gemknight Toa
  • Upvote 4

• Can we eventually kill the great beings or break out of this place? 

An RPG where godlike beings force random strangers to fight for entertainment? There's one similarity to Bionifight: Infinite Landfalls. 

I can understand not wanting people to play as Makuta or Rahkshi since they can get overpowered, especially the Makuta, but you could just limit the powers they have. E.g. Forcing Makuta characters to pick three powers and discard the rest or making rahkshi stuck on level 2. That way, they can be a playable species.

You know what would be cool? An RNG floor that has no preset enemies, environments or traps. E.g. Nui-Rama near a volcano with bear traps scattered. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

• Why do I get the feeling people are going to find ways to increase their character's strength without breaking rules when it comes to subspecies and hybrids? I can't think of any ways to do so, but players like the admins, Nato, Sergei, Click or even Ghidorah could probably come up with a loophole.
  • It's an interesting idea making the players start with nothing, is this to avoid people starting out with OP items?
  • It's good that you are trying to limit player spread, but what if a player doesn't find any of the six active areas interesting enough? And when will a map be created? 

1. Keep in mind that their individual societies and ideals still apply as well, so just because something is possible to do doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to get away with doing it. Makuta, for example, could theoretically pair up with a good chunk of the available MU species via their ability to shapeshift, but since they generally think of themselves as the best beings around anyway, I'd require an extremely good reason to do so before signing off on any hybrid offspring from them. Likewise, the chances of a Steltian Elite pairing up with a Bruiser (Krekka's species), a Vortixx janitor, a farmer from Johmak's species, or a street magician from Conjurer's is equally unlikely.

While I'll admit that it could be possible to do so with hybrids, it would likely be slightly more difficult to do so for subspecies if they were GM rewards, since they'd essentially be considered a random item drop.

2. Partially to avoid OP items during Character Creation, partially because it's a survival RPG at its core. These areas have clearly seen better days, there's going to be a bunch of stuff roaming around that's going to try to kill off your characters, and other movies and games within the genre rarely have characters start out with the best equipment available. Think of it more as my answer to how Asylum started off; people are going to try to play smarter if they don't have immediate access to an AK-47 they can use to start blowing holes in their enemies right off the bat.

3. Like I said in the teaser post, each region also has two warring factions the players can get caught up in, a Vault to go look for in order to learn more about the area and what led to its downfall, and a giant creature obsessed with annihilating everything in its path, among other things. People likely won't be bored for long, if at all. As for a map, I don't exactly have the resources to make that happen, though if you treat Ignis as the northernmost point on the location in question and follow the instructions I previously provided, the layout of the area itself shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• Can we eventually kill the great beings or break out of this place? 
  • An RPG where godlike beings force random strangers to fight for entertainment? There's one similarity to Bionifight: Infinite Landfalls. 
  • I can understand not wanting people to play as Makuta or Rahkshi since they can get overpowered, especially the Makuta, but you could just limit the powers they have. E.g. Forcing Makuta characters to pick three powers and discard the rest or making rahkshi stuck on level 2. That way, they can be a playable species.
  • You know what would be cool? An RNG floor that has no preset enemies, environments or traps. E.g. Nui-Rama near a volcano with bear traps scattered. 

1. The purpose is to break out of Dungeon so yes for that. But I won't say anything about the former.
  2. It's not entertainment at all. It's punishment. The Great Beings won't do anything of the sort. They just leave you there, and make sure the tower is in perfect condition and that you don't escape.
  3. Antidermis beings can't be revived with Red Star technology which is how you are revived.
  4. Unfortunately the floors have all been planned out, but I'll consider adding them to a couple of floors. Just know that that I already have a pretty substantial amount of floors. If I put in too many, then the game may get boring.

EDIT: I did the adding of RNG floors, and now I have about 43 floors.

For anyone who was wondering about the status of Skyrise, my final exam for the year is in less than twenty minutes, after which I'll have plenty of free time to get back to working on it.

Timageness' RPG

Well my first suggestion is to combine you earlier teaser with what you have now. I can barely remember any of it.

Second is that this RPG seems to be planned for very long term use. I know that everyone wants their's to last but that many locations plus three sub-plots and an overarching main story of some kind is a lot to throw at people all at once.

Pretty big profile as well. Weapons, Technology and Equipment can probably all be squished into the same bracket. I would suggest finding some way to par it down a bit.

Shard's RPG

Interesting. Cant say we get many RPGs where character death is part of the appeal. It looks pretty good, if a bit basic. I would suggest that even with the RNG in play you avoid making death mandatory. Good roleplaying should be able to let you survive. Not easily, sure. But something more than just a GM post saying that you died.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Another potential mechanic you two might want to possibly consider for The Tower is the addition of teleportation portals sort of like the ones found in the Bloody Palace mode from the Devil May Cry games.

For those who are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, basically, upon the completion of an area, two portals appear; one that takes you to a higher floor and another that takes you to a lower one. The trick is, however, that the floor you start off on is somewhere in the middle, and the next floor you appear on either way is completely random. Obviously, this probably wouldn't work for the first six, as the game's intro seems to imply that they go in order of succession, but it's possible something like this could apply to the later levels, so I figured I'd suggest it anyway.

Timageness' RPG

Well my first suggestion is to combine you earlier teaser with what you have now. I can barely remember any of it.

Second is that this RPG seems to be planned for very long term use. I know that everyone wants their's to last but that many locations plus three sub-plots and an overarching main story of some kind is a lot to throw at people all at once.

Pretty big profile as well. Weapons, Technology and Equipment can probably all be squished into the same bracket. I would suggest finding some way to par it down a bit.

1. Will do. I'll edit in a link once I find it.

2. The way it's set up now doesn't actually start the main plot until the first region (whichever that may be) is actually "cleared," and by that I mean one faction emerges victorious, the area's Vault is discovered, and the region's monster is defeated, so people will have likely had some time to adjust before it even comes into play. Even then, it's actually less of a plot and more of a singular goal that eventually takes the characters all over the place, sort of like the way the Souls Series has been presented in the past. The individual regions themselves are actually constructed to be at the forefront of what's going on within the overall location itself, and smaller details concerning the expansion of the plot will be inserted for people to discover at random intervals as they progress, which may or may not eventually end up turning the story on its head, depending on how closely people are paying attention.

3. I think I can make that work. The Funds and Barter Items sections could probably be combined as well, as they're both primarily used for doing business with the caravans anyway. I'll clean it up in my hard copy and represent it in my next update.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Shard's RPG

Interesting. Cant say we get many RPGs where character death is part of the appeal. It looks pretty good, if a bit basic. I would suggest that even with the RNG in play you avoid making death mandatory. Good roleplaying should be able to let you survive. Not easily, sure. But something more than just a GM post saying that you died.

Another potential mechanic you two might want to possibly consider for The Tower is the addition of teleportation portals sort of like the ones found in the Bloody Palace mode from the Devil May Cry games.

For those who are unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, basically, upon the completion of an area, two portals appear; one that takes you to a higher floor and another that takes you to a lower one. The trick is, however, that the floor you start off on is somewhere in the middle, and the next floor you appear on either way is completely random. Obviously, this probably wouldn't work for the first six, as the game's intro seems to imply that they go in order of succession, but it's possible something like this could apply to the later levels, so I figured I'd suggest it anyway.

Yes, true. I expect the good players to get to a certain point. I'm just a little afraid that they might be too good? Also, I should also mention that when you die, I use RNG to determine how many floors you remember. This acts as a fast pass, as I'm sure that we don't want to make many posts dealing 30 floors, die, and have to make the same amount of posts to reach that level again. With this fast pass technique, maybe you'll remember enough to get to floor 20 or you'll be unlucky and have to start over. I kinda forgot to add that in, and I'll do it later.

Alright, I have updated Isles of Chaos, or as it's now called, Vault of Apophis. I added some locations, though more will be added, added a description of the relics, with their guardians, and added a bit more detail(I hope)on the factions. Still need to add a true map, and most of the GM characters.

(Also, if anyone is interested in Co-GMing, shoot me a PM! :D)

Edited by Sassy Dalmation

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

Yes, true. I expect the good players to get to a certain point. I'm just a little afraid that they might be too good? Also, I should also mention that when you die, I use RNG to determine how many floors you remember. This acts as a fast pass, as I'm sure that we don't want to make many posts dealing 30 floors, die, and have to make the same amount of posts to reach that level again. With this fast pass technique, maybe you'll remember enough to get to floor 20 or you'll be unlucky and have to start over. I kinda forgot to add that in, and I'll do it later.

If a person is good enough to never die then I see no reason to force them to do so. Sure that does not exactly happen often in roguelikes but one of the great things about TRPGs is how much more freeform they are than video games.

Nobody likes to die and forcing it on your players is not going to leave a good impression.

• Upvote 3

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

If a person is good enough to never die then I see no reason to force them to do so. Sure that does not exactly happen often in roguelikes but one of the great things about TRPGs is how much more freeform they are than video games.

Nobody likes to die and forcing it on your players is not going to leave a good impression.

I believe forced death is usually a penalty in an RPG. Plus who would want to play a game where the only outcome is "You Die"?

True. I guess that forced death is pretty harsh. I'll remove it.

@Tower-

Looking good so far. From what I've read, though, I think we could do with some size estimates for each floor- is each floor the size of a swimming pool, or a football field? You get the idea. I'd also say watch out for tenses- I spotted a few random bits of past tense in there, whilst the rest is in present.

VBWj75sh.png