The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

Speaking as an RPer, I would advise against those religions you've described simply because they don't sound very Bionicle-y. When I think of Bionicle "deities", I think of the Great Beings, Mata Nui, Makuta, Tren Krom, the Element Lords (to an extent), etc. Introducing all these new guys risks losing the Bionicle flavour entirely. That's my two cents.

Speaking as a staff member, I would advise against creating any gods or religious customs that can be linked, however tenuously, to real-world religions. Even your description of Gruncharism as "pre-Christ Christianity" with a "Christ-like" figure shows me that your ideas are a little too reliant on real-world religious concepts. If you're really attached to the idea of divine presences in your RPG, I would look for inspiration in ancient mythologies rather than modern religions. Or, better yet, stick with the Bionicle "pantheon".

Possible titles in mind, all leading to my secret ending-setting: 'Breath of Life', 'Arid Salvation', 'Aerial Salvation', 'Breathlessness', or 'Last Gasp'. If you prefer a more immediate sense-making title, then I think 'Shadow of Certavus' might work, though I prefer one of the previous ones.

I have been working on expanding upon the world of Spherus Magna in my own vision for the past year, and one of my main points was removing the apparent immortality of Spherus Magna natives. With that comes a whole lot of other stuff that I have been trying to fill in. The reason it does not feel 'Bionicle-y' is because much of G1 Bionicle focused on the Matoran Universe. Spherus Magna is itself different from the Matoran Universe, and me solidifying those differences will give an idea about the grand clash of cultures that occurs with the Battle of Bara Magna and the founding of New Atero. I understand that such a change is what caused many to dislike 2009, but I find it to be fertile ground for fan work as there is so little known about it all except for the ridiculous life-spans humanoid natural organics (despite how many augmentations you got). To counter this, the Spherus Magna natives will have a lifespan of about 200 years, longer than humans due to passed down augmentations, but not so long that it is laughably ridiculous.

If you want, I can make it so that Gruncharism is in the minority; but again, religion will only be a part of a character, not their entire personality (unless said character wants to be a zealot) or point of the game. The times are changing: Certavus Magnus is dead, the glatorian have been established, and Tajun seeks to become independent and have all the known land march under it's banners like times of old. Choices of the players will determine if things will play out as in the prime history or end up in alternative ways (i have a series of possible routes in my head that would set things up for Neala by the time Mata Nui arrived). 

I have a piece of plot in mind, but I am wary of saying due to spoilers just in case if I ever got that far with this.

And hey: I got antidermis, energized protodermis, the Great Beings, the Element Lords, and celestial monsters (coined term for things like Annona) in here as deities and beings; also I am working on legends of an ancient war of the gods that ruined the planet, and relics from that forgotten age in the form of Great Being artifacts like weapons, armor, and vehicles (wondering if everyone should have these or not, as currently much of the population would use byzantine-eastern technology). Shouldn't that be enough to show that it is in the same universe without having to resort to kanohi, toa, and other things that would stray from the aimed setting? I have a piece of plot in mind, but I am wary of saying due to spoilers just in case if I ever got that far with this.

Please bear in mind that this is still being heavily worked on, and I only came here for input on how some religious aspects should be executed and if they were fleshed out enough for immersion.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

So I'm thinking of redo-ing Frontier to be an Okoto RPG, as the previous version doesn't have too good of a foundation.

Thoughts?

Frankly, I'm leery of anything done in Okoto due to how little lore there is to work with. Feels too much like an excuse to fabricate a universe from (mostly) whole-cloth.

But Frontier might benefit from a relatively blank slate.

I think Okoto could work, simply because there is so much blank space to fill in with PCs. You just need the GM to concoct a few of their own and a conflict and a plotline. (I'm biased toward that method because it worked so well with Bionifight and the HF RPG 2.0. :P) I have actually thought of running one of these, but the HF RPG is taking up most of my game-hosting time. 

Frontier, however, was based around nameless factions, which might not fit with Okoto that well. 

• Upvote 1

Previous Links:

Relentless Link #1

Relentless Link #2

Relentless Link #3

Update: While not as large as the last three posts, I did complete (and I use that term loosely) the layouts of two more of Caelum Insula's regions, so without further ado, I now present both Ferrum and Aqua.

Ferrum, Region of Iron

Formerly the technological center of the island and responsible for constructing Caelum Insula's horde of maintenance bots, this area has been mostly reduced to a lifeless, clockwork jungle.

Environmental Disaster - Corruption of the city's central A.I., leading it to become self-aware and massacre its inhabitants.

Survivors: The Forgemasters - Surviving smiths, technicians, and factory workers dedicated to ridding their region of The Architect and its drones; easily identified by their heavy weapons and power armor.

Hostiles: The Ravenites - Former residents who have decided to augment themselves with prosthetic parts; used to be peaceful, but now kill to "ensure their survival."

Other Threats: Sentinel Drones - Various mechanical constructs controlled remotely by The Architect.

Area Boss: The Architect - Formerly the A.I. that helped run the entire island; usurped control over the majority of the region after downloading itself into a swarm of nanomachines.

Aqua, Region of Water

A once great region located on the bottom of a lake, this submerged city used to be a former utopia devoted to scientific breakthroughs.

Environmental Disaster - Erosion of the lakebed supporting the underwater portions of the city, causing some sections to flood and collapse.

Survivors: The Wave Riders - Former security guards and medical personel working towards the containment and eradication of wild Pit Kraata.

Hostiles: Depth Charge - Militant organisation that wishes to harness the power of the Pit Kraata and use it to attack other regions.

Other Threats: Pit Kraata - Kraata exposed to Pit Mutagen; can burrow their way into hosts and control their bodies as an extra line of defense.

Area Boss: The Leviathan - Large, shark-like monstrosity covered in fins, scales as sharp as a dagger, and numerous tentacles that can both grapple and impale prey.

Further updates will continue to be posted as I complete them.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

So I'm thinking of redo-ing Frontier to be an Okoto RPG, as the previous version doesn't have too good of a foundation.

Thoughts?

Frankly, I'm leery of anything done in Okoto due to how little lore there is to work with. Feels too much like an excuse to fabricate a universe from (mostly) whole-cloth.

But Frontier might benefit from a relatively blank slate.

I think Okoto could work, simply because there is so much blank space to fill in with PCs. You just need the GM to concoct a few of their own and a conflict and a plotline. (I'm biased toward that method because it worked so well with Bionifight and the HF RPG 2.0. :P) I have actually thought of running one of these, but the HF RPG is taking up most of my game-hosting time. 

Frontier, however, was based around nameless factions, which might not fit with Okoto that well. 

Frontier's nameless factions were there to fill the overwhelming plot gaps. Then the lack of a decent space travel system came into play, and the sudden massive amount of high-tier weapons made things look unplayable (this seemed to also be the case in Y60K).

And considering how much Lego tried to superpower the worthless skull spiders, they could be a reasonable explanation for why they're leaving.

Overpowered weapons was never Frontier's problem. People had problems with the somewhat arbitrary nature of the allowed weapons.

I understand that we are starting to get some world building with the new Bionicle, however I would need to actually go research it some before I could say if its enough for an RPG.

@Timageness: looks good so far, a bit sparse without location sections but I get the feeling those are coming later.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Yeah, these are just rough outlines for now, but I'll be going into much more detail when I write up the first draft.

I would also like to point out that Aqua is more akin to Bioshock's Rapture than it is to Mahri Nui, so the characters traveling there are much more likely to be exploring the ruins of the pressurised underwater city instead of engaging in submerged combat at the bottom of the lake. Just wanted to throw that out there before it potentially becomes an issue.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

I have an Idea for a new BZPOWER game.

I call it "Matoran Smack Down"

It would only have 14 players

Two sides the Matoran and Shadow Matoran

There will be 7 members on each side but there will be someone on each side that is actually on the opposing side.

How to play

After the players are on there sides I will PM the two people who will become the traitors.

I will ask everyone to comment there attack element and a defense element

The success or failure of a Matoran's attack depends on what elements they pick.

Exampe

Matoran 1

Attack: Fire

Defense: Stone

To win a attack your attack element needs to be the opposite of the defense element.

Element battle chart

Fire beats water, earth, ice

Water beats earth, ice, stone

Earth beats Ice, stone, jungle

Ice beats stone, jungle, fire

Stone beats Jungle, fire, water

Jungle beats fire, water, earth

How to attack

I will send out PMs to all 14 players

You can attack anyone even Matoran on your own team but there is a catch if you attack someone on your own team if its not the traitor you loss the ability to attack in the next round. Even if your attack fails.

If it is the traitor you gain a extra attack for the next round. You only get the extra attack if your attack works.

What if you accidentally attack the traitor who's on your side.

The same thing will happend as if you attacked a person on your team knowingly.

You get one attack a round.

There will be as many rounds as it takes tell there is one side left.

If there are more than one person at the end of the game that have win they will battle it out to the death. Tell one Matoran stands.

Matoran

Shadow Matoran

If this game gets picked I'll write a story line to go along with the game.

Edited by ToaTimeLord

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

• 2 weeks later...

Being trapped in the Fifth Circle o Dante's Inferno for a month gave me some thinking time, and there's a concept I've been mulling over:

It'd be set just as the Zakaz Civil War is kicking off, but rather than play as the warriors characters would be refugees fleeing the destruction. Except no-one else wants to have them (Skakdi already having developed a bad reputation around the world) so they're all stuck in a camp with nowhere to go, kind of inspired by what's currently the hot topic in Calais.

I have a broad idea for the story in mind, where I'd want it to go and how I'd want it to end, but since I'm looking for at least one other person to run and largely host the game more planning would be done with them

Edited by Wyrd Bid Ful Araed

7AOYGDJ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

'sup friends. Looking around the RPG forum lately, I've noticed there seems to be a bit of a drought. With that in mind, I'm considering putting an RPG up for approval. Perhaps it will succeed, if not because of my experience, then at least because there's less competition. However, I want to first make sure that there's a decent amount of players who would be interested. I also want the RPG to be critiqued as much as possible in order to produce a game that people will have fun playing. 

The RPG I'm talking about is Wasteland. I received some feeback when I first posted it back in November, and I've implemented the suggestions I received. The primary change is that players are now only able to play as Matoran, which everyone seemed to agree was necessary in order to preserve the flavour of the game. You can find the adjusted RPG in the tag below.

Wasteland 2.0

wasteland1_zpsbctfno3o.jpg

There is shadow under this red rock,

(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),

And I will show you something different from either

Your shadow at morning striding behind you

Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;

I will show you fear in a handful of dust.

-T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness,
starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking 
for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

-Allen Ginsburg, Howl

1.0 - Intro

You awake.

When did you lie down to sleep, and for how long? You know not the answers. Your memory retreats to the darkest corner of your mind, leaving nothing but your name. You know your name... or you think you do. Perhaps it is only a fragment of sound, a piece of something you used to be called.

Whatever it is, that name will serve for now.

Your eyes are weak, but your surroundings come into focus as you blink the dust away. You lie upon grey sand, underneath a grey sky. Low-hanging clouds threaten rain, but the surrounding desert bears no witness to the threat. Everything is parched and dead. This land has been thirsty for so long, it has forgotten the taste of water.

You struggle to your feet. In the distance, you can make out mountainous silhouettes rising above the endless expanse of dusty land, their peaks lost in the clouds. Before them, yet still many miles away, you see a black tower jutting out from the sand. Its foundations obviously long decayed, it leans over the desert like a dead tree, perpetually on the verge of crashing to the ground.

Your gaze drifts downward; you see a settlement (if it can be called even that) only a mile or so off. There- that's where you must go. Perhaps the settlement will have water, and some shelter against the bitter wind that begins to pick up, pulling at the sand and at your skin. Perhaps its inhabitants can tell you where you are.

Or perhaps it is deserted, like the rest of this desolate land.

But you have no other options, so you begin to trudge across the sand. You are desperately thirsty, and your muscles ache; you feel like you have not used them for a very long time. But you are strong enough to walk, at least, and you reach the outskirts of the settlement within half an hour.

As you approach, you realize the shelters you saw from a distance are little more than pieces of rusty metal hammered together and erected over holes dug in the sand. One or two have four walls and a roof; the rest can't even be called huts. You attempt to call out, but nothing more than dusty cough escapes your throat.

It's enough to alert the inhabitants to your presence. First one pair of eyes, then another, then another; you see gleaming orbs appear in the cracks of each shelter, but their owners say nothing.

“Please...” you whisper. “Water...”

A long silence follows, then a Matoran emerges from one of the larger shelters. Clad in dark green-brown armour (the metal almost indistinguishable from the rust), he carries a crude spear in one hand and a canteen in the other. He eyes you warily, then speaks.

“Wh'are you?”

His voice is half-strangled by a thick accent, but you understand well enough. You tell him your name.

“Don'now you,” he says with a frown. “Where y'come from?”

You point back across the sand, and his frown deepens. “No'ne comes from there.”

You shrug. He waits, mulling this over, then tosses you the canteen. You barely catch it, fingers scrabbling greedily over its surface. The water inside is lukewarm and tastes metallic, but you don't care.

Sated, you hand the tin back. The Matoran takes it, then beckons for you to follow him deeper into the settlement. You figure he could have killed by now if he wanted to, so you might as well follow. Perhaps you will find the information you seek.

2.0 - Overview

Welcome to the Wasteland.

It is a vast desert, dry and dead, overhung by dark clouds that promise rain but deliver only acid. Everything is bleached grey and brown, from the harsh sand to the bleak mountains to the handful of villagers who manage to scrape a living out of the rocks. Little lives here, and less survives.

You are a being who has awoken on the sands a little south of the Settlement. You do not remember how you got there or even who you are; all you remember is your name. Travelling north, you have been allowed to make whatever living you can in the Settlement, which its inhabitants call Canus.

Canus is populated by roughly two dozen Matoran who do what they can to survive. No Toa live here; the villagers say that all Toa serve the Queen, who lives in her Tower to the north. The Queen controls the only fresh spring in the Wasteland, trading water for artifacts and supplies scavenged from the desert.

The villagers are all half-mad -it's the only way to cope with an eternity of barely surviving- but most are relatively harmless until you threaten them or their belongings. Each day, some of them venture into the Wastes to scavenge what materials they can find to trade for water. At night, when the desert turns bitterly cold, they will stay in their huts and swap stories, each more outlandish than the last. Perhaps there is some truth in their tales, but it's not an easy job distinguishing the two.

A stranger in this land, your destiny is up to you. Whether you wish to brave the Wastes or merely survive another day in the Settlement, the choice is yours. Be wise in your decision: the desert holds many mysteries, but it is not forgiving towards those who dare to seek them.

3.0 - Locations

The Settlement, named Canus by its inhabitants, lies on a plateau of sorts, elevated above the Wastes. The ground is rocky and barren, but some few things manage to survive here, including the villagers. The Settlement itself is little more than a collection of rusty metal shacks, built of material scavenged from the Wastes.

To the north of the Settlement stands the Tower. Once a proud iron spike that rose high into the sky, it now leans precariously to one side. It is here that the Mad Queen makes her court, and it is also here where the only spring in the Wasteland can be found.

To the north, beyond the Tower, lie the Black Mountains. Tall and jagged, their peaks pierce the clouds. No one in living memory has scaled them, or crossed through them to see what -if anything- lies beyond.

To the west and the south lie the Wastes, a vast desert bordered by low cliffs. It is a deadly place, ever threatened by acid storms and terrifying sandstorms. It is here the villagers scavenge most of their metal and inorganic supplies, but few dare to venture farther than a mile or two, fearing the storms that may rise up at any moment.

To the east lies only sand. Beyond that, Raka, a legendary city made entirely of metal, said to have been taken over long ago by nightmarish beasts. No one is sure if the city or the beasts really exist, but anyone desperate enough to make the journey is never seen again.

4.0 - Major NPCs

The Blue Queen is the “ruler” of the Wasteland. No one would say it to her face, but this Toa of Water is often referred to as the Mad Queen, as she is unpredictable, pleasant and hostile by turns as her fancy pleases. At some point in time, she took control of the only spring of fresh water in the Wasteland and has kept it under close guard ever since. This is the key to her power: without that water, nothing in the Wastelands could survive.

Takava is the right hand of the Queen, guarding the Tower and the spring it houses. Thin and menacing, his armour is bleached white as bone, giving him a skeletal appearance.

Nua has led the Settlement, Canus, since time immemorial. It was this Turaga who first struck the bargain with the Queen to allow his villagers to trade scavenged goods for water. That was many years ago; now he spends most of his time in his hut, lost in dreams of the past.

As Nua slips deeper into his memories, Maru, his right hand, has taken on more and more of the Settlement's responsibilities. A thoughtful and cautious Matoran, he seems more sane than most.

5.0 - Character Rules

The only hard and fast rule here is that your character's profile must be substantial enough for others to interact with you, and it must include a legitimate weakness. You may use any profile template you like, but it should be similar to the template below:

Name: (what are you called?)

Species: (players must play as Matoran. What type of Matoran are you?)

Mask: (characters may possess one powerless mask)

Powers/Abilities: (what is your passive elemental power? What are your skills?)

Weapons/Equipment: (what weapons and equipment do you carry? See notes on equipment below)

Appearance: (what do you look like?)

Personality: (what are you like? List your likes, dislikes, pet peeves, etc.)

Weaknesses: (list any flaws and weaknesses you have. This section is mandatory)

Biography(what events have taken place since your awakening on the sands?)

5.1 - Equipment & Weapons

Your character wakes on the sands with nothing. Therefore, any equipment and weapons they possess must have been scavenged from the Wastes, or made with scavenged materials. Advanced technology is nonexistent, basic tech is unreliable, and even things like simple weapons and armour are likely to be rusty and in poor condition. This is a wasteland, after all.

Any and all criticism is welcome. (even criticism as simple as "this looks boring and I wouldn't play it")

• Upvote 5

Sounds like a nice change of pace from the games I'm currently playing; I'd definitely join. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Welcome to the Wasteland.

It is a vast desert, dry and dead, overhung by dark clouds that promise rain but deliver only acid. Everything is bleached grey and brown, from the harsh sand to the bleak mountains to the handful of villagers who manage to scrape a living out of the rocks. Little lives here, and less survives. I'm not gonna pass this by; this description is actually really cool. It gets me hyped to play this.

You are a being who has awoken on the sands a little south of the Settlement. You do not remember how you got there or even who you are; all you remember is your name. Traveling north, you have been allowed to make whatever living you can in the Settlement, which its inhabitants call Canus. I assume there are some new and interesting monstrous species capable of surviving in this area?

Canus is populated by roughly two dozen Matoran who do what they can to survive. No Toa live here; the villagers say that all Toa serve the Queen, who lives in her Tower to the north. The Queen controls the only fresh spring in the Wasteland, trading water for artifacts and supplies scavenged from the desert. Why does she want any of the garbage from over here? and wouldn't a small Toa team do a much more efficient job, plus not have to waste any extra water for?

The villagers are all half-mad -it's the only way to cope with an eternity of barely surviving- Is there an Asylum for those poor souls? but most are relatively harmless until you threaten them or their belongings. Each day, some of them venture into the Wastes to scavenge what materials they can find to trade for water. At night, when the desert turns bitterly cold, they will stay in their huts and swap stories, each more outlandish than the last. Perhaps there is some truth in their tales, but it's not an easy job distinguishing the two. Wait, rusty metal shacks are keeping out the deathly cold? I live in what is sometimes deathly cold; hole-filled, weak metal isn't gonna cut it so easily.

A stranger in this land, your destiny is up to you. Whether you wish to brave the Wastes or merely survive another day in the Settlement, the choice is yours. Is there a predetermined time period for each day? Be wise in your decision: the desert holds many mysteries, but it is not forgiving towards those who dare to seek them.

The Settlement, named Canus by its inhabitants, lies on a plateau of sorts, elevated above the Wastes. The ground is rocky and barren, but some few things manage to survive here, including the villagers. The Settlement itself is little more than a collection of rusty metal shacks, built of material scavenged from the Wastes. Convenient none of that acid rain is over here, then.

To the north of the Settlement stands the Tower. Once a proud iron spike that rose high into the sky, it now leans precariously to one side. It is here that the Mad Queen makes her court, and it is also here where the only spring in the Wasteland can be found. You abruptly started calling her the Mad Queen. Also, there's a lot of 'once ago' talked about, and I hope this is expanded upon in the actual story.

To the north, beyond the Tower, lie the Black Mountains. Tall and jagged, their peaks pierce the clouds. No one in living memory has scaled them, or crossed through them to see what -if anything- lies beyond. Is there a dragon?

To the west and the south lie the Wastes, a vast desert bordered by low cliffs. It is a deadly place, ever threatened by acid storms and terrifying sandstorms. It is here the villagers scavenge most of their metal and inorganic supplies, but few dare to venture farther than a mile or two, fearing the storms that may rise up at any moment. Wait. How can any metal survive if there's acid rain? and besides that, what droves of metal-bearing creatures walked through here and died?

To the east lies only sand. Beyond that, Raka, a legendary city made entirely of metal, said to have been taken over long ago by nightmarish beasts. No one is sure if the city or the beasts really exist, but anyone desperate enough to make the journey is never seen again. If these beasts eventually come around to attack, and we can possibly kill one, then the metal city can be excused. But how is it not a city of rust by now?

The Blue Queen is the “ruler” of the Wasteland. No one would say it to her face, but this Toa of Water is often referred to as the Mad Queen, as she is unpredictable, pleasant and hostile by turns as her fancy pleases. At some point in time, she took control of the only spring of fresh water in the Wasteland and has kept it under close guard ever since. This is the key to her power: without that water, nothing in the Wastelands could survive. So there is absolutely nobody who's tried to mine to the spring, or just no plot-wise way of doing so?

Takava is the right hand of the Queen, guarding the Tower and the spring it houses. Thin and menacing, his armour is bleached white as bone, giving him a skeletal appearance. Is this a Toa, or some other species like Vortixx?

Nua has led the Settlement, Canus, since time immemorial. It was this Turaga who first struck the bargain with the Queen to allow his villagers to trade scavenged goods for water. That was many years ago; now he spends most of his time in his hut, lost in dreams of the past. Vakama! another vision?

As Nua slips deeper into his memories, Maru, his right hand, has taken on more and more of the Settlement's responsibilities. A thoughtful and cautious Matoran, he seems more sane than most. Will he eventually experience mental deterioration?

The only hard and fast rule here is that your character's profile must be substantial enough for others to interact with you, and it must include a legitimate weakness. Could you please specify what is and is not a legitimate weakness? An addiction to chocolate might be considered a legitimate weakness. You may use any profile template you like, but it should be similar to the template below: Er, how about just using the one below? easier and safer.

Name: (what are you called?)

Species: (players must play as Matoran. What type of Matoran are you?) How about something other than species, then?

Gender: (male, female, neither, or other?) Please be picky. Nobody wants to see Ghost Buster.

Mask: (characters may possess one powerless mask) Are we allowed to have it be whatever shape we want?

Powers/Abilities: (what is your passive elemental power? What are your skills?) Isn't this area a little redundant? If you're a Matoran, you can't use it, and that would be covered in Species anyway.

Weapons/Equipment: (what weapons and equipment do you carry? See notes on equipment below)

Appearance: (what do you look like?)

Personality: (what are you like? List your likes, dislikes, pet peeves, etc.)

Weaknesses: (list any flaws and weaknesses you have. This section is mandatory) On here things get technical. Why do we have weaknesses specified? will you be playing off of them? are they going to effect what we find, or do? And what counts as a weakness?

Biography(what events have taken place since your awakening on the sands?) ...I thought we just arrived.

Your character wakes on the sands with nothing. Therefore, any equipment and weapons they possess must have been scavenged from the Wastes, or made with scavenged materials. Advanced technology is nonexistent, basic tech is unreliable, and even things like simple weapons and armour are likely to be rusty and in poor condition. This is a wasteland, after all. We have the option of bone weapons, then? Surely things that die don't dissolve in two seconds.

Any and all criticism is welcome. (even criticism as simple as "this looks boring and I wouldn't play it") I hope you don't mind my brutally honest statements here. I love this game, and I'd love to see it come up and run for a good time. But there's some inconsistencies that could be used to pry the game apart. And since nobody else has listed them, I decided to be the bearer of bad news and point them out. Hopefully you can come up with a better option for some of the larger problems.

Nobody wants to see Ghost Buster.

Speak for yourself. 

• Upvote 4

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Thanks for the comments, Ghidora! You can find my responses in the tag below.

Response to Ghidora

I assume there are some new and interesting monstrous species capable of surviving in this area?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but you'll have to go out and find them.

Why does she want any of the garbage from over here? and wouldn't a small Toa team do a much more efficient job, plus not have to waste any extra water for?

When all you have is garbage, that's what's valuable. Broken gadgets, dull weapons, bits and pieces of technology long forgotten... we would consider these things useless, but in the Wasteland, nothing is worthless. I'm not sure I understand the second question.

Wait, rusty metal shacks are keeping out the deathly cold? I live in what is sometimes deathly cold; hole-filled, weak metal isn't gonna cut it so easily.

Shacks erected over holes dug in the sand, which is a pretty good insulator. Beyond that, I'll play the "they're not human" card to excuse the lack of hypothermia.  :P

Is there a predetermined time period for each day?

Nope.

Convenient none of that acid rain is over here, then.

Indeed. It's almost like they put some thought into where they were going to live.

You abruptly started calling her the Mad Queen. Also, there's a lot of 'once ago' talked about, and I hope this is expanded upon in the actual story.

You're right, that was abrupt. And yes: I hope to expand upon the history of the place in-game.

Is there a dragon [in the mountains]?

Possibly.

Wait. How can any metal survive if there's acid rain? and besides that, what droves of metal-bearing creatures walked through here and died?

Depends if it's buried in the sand or not. Plus, different types of materials are more and less resistant to the effects of acid, so some things will be corroded beyond recognition, while others might be in relatively good condition. As for the droves of metal-bearing creatures: that's for me to know and you to find out.

If these beasts eventually come around to attack, and we can possibly kill one, then the metal city can be excused. But how is it not a city of rust by now?
The city is a legend. Nobody knows if it even exists, let alone what condition it's in. It might be nothing more than the villagers' fantasy paradise, but again, that's for the players to find out.

So there is absolutely nobody who's tried to mine to the spring, or just no plot-wise way of doing so?

Nobody's done so, but you could certainly try.

Is [Takava] a Toa, or some other species like Vortixx?

It's a mystery.

Will [Maru] eventually experience mental deterioration?
Possibly.

Could you please specify what is and is not a legitimate weakness? An addiction to chocolate might be considered a legitimate weakness.

I would not consider that a legitimate weakness because chocolate (sadly) doesn't exist here.

How about something other than species, then?
I suppose "Race" might work better, yeah.

Please be picky [concerning genders]. Nobody wants to see Ghost Buster.
Gender is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, so I think I'll just let it slide.

Are we allowed to have [our mask] be whatever shape we want?
I don't see why not.

Isn't this [Powers/Abilities section] a little redundant? If you're a Matoran, you can't use it, and that would be covered in Species anyway.

I was thinking of the passive bonuses Matoran get from their element. (Ta-Matoran are resistant to heat, Ga-Matoran can hold their breaths well, etc.) But you're right about it being covered under Species, so I suppose it is a little redundant.

On here things get technical. Why do we have weaknesses specified? will you be playing off of them? are they going to effect what we find, or do? And what counts as a weakness?

Weaknesses are simply something your character is not good at. I like flawed characters because they're more interesting to read about and play. However, like in the BZPRPG, the main purpose of the required weakness to make sure nobody's playing perfect characters that can't be beaten, tricked or flummoxed. 

...I thought we just arrived.

We have, but I'm allowing a period of a couple weeks or so for people to let their characters settle in and scavenge some stuff before the game begins. I suppose that could be clearer.

We have the option of bone weapons, then? Surely things that die don't dissolve in two seconds.
Yup!

I hope you don't mind my brutally honest statements here.

I don't! I appreciate you taking the time to offer a detailed and honest critique. Thanks for all your points; I'll definitely mull over them and think about how to solve some of the bigger issues.

Edited by Eyru

I assume there are some new and interesting monstrous species capable of surviving in this area?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but you'll have to go out and find them.

Why does she want any of the garbage from over here? and wouldn't a small Toa team do a much more efficient job, plus not have to waste any extra water for?

When all you have is garbage, that's what's valuable. Broken gadgets, dull weapons, bits and pieces of technology long forgotten... we would consider these things useless, but in the Wasteland, nothing is worthless. I'm not sure I understand the second question.

Why care about the Matoran? they're struggling to survive, and a group of better trained Toa could do the job instead. Plus, you don't lose any more water than what you were already doing for the Toa. And if the threats are too much to send a Toa group out in, then how are any Matoran making it back out at all?

Wait, rusty metal shacks are keeping out the deathly cold? I live in what is sometimes deathly cold; hole-filled, weak metal isn't gonna cut it so easily.

Shacks erected over holes dug in the sand, which is a pretty good insulator. Beyond that, I'll play the "they're not human" card to excuse the lack of hypothermia.  :P

...Well, that's a pretty good excuse. Maybe. :P

Is there a predetermined time period for each day?

Nope.

Convenient none of that acid rain is over here, then.

Indeed. It's almost like they put some thought into where they were going to live.

On what appears to be an overhang directly into a pit of death, and the acid rain they're avoiding.

You abruptly started calling her the Mad Queen. Also, there's a lot of 'once ago' talked about, and I hope this is expanded upon in the actual story.

You're right, that was abrupt. And yes: I hope to expand upon the history of the place in-game.

Ah good, because there's several locations which I would love to see more on.

Is there a dragon [in the mountains]?

Possibly.

:fear:

Wait. How can any metal survive if there's acid rain? and besides that, what droves of metal-bearing creatures walked through here and died?

Depends if it's buried in the sand or not. Plus, different types of materials are more and less resistant to the effects of acid, so some things will be corroded beyond recognition, while others might be in relatively good condition. As for the droves of metal-bearing creatures: that's for me to know and you to find out.

Plus you get the 'Bionicle, therefore better metal' excuse as well.

If these beasts eventually come around to attack, and we can possibly kill one, then the metal city can be excused. But how is it not a city of rust by now?

The city is a legend. Nobody knows if it even exists, let alone what condition it's in. It might be nothing more than the villagers' fantasy paradise, but again, that's for the players to find out.

So there is absolutely nobody who's tried to mine to the spring, or just no plot-wise way of doing so?

Nobody's done so, but you could certainly try.

Is [Takava] a Toa, or some other species like Vortixx?

It's a mystery.

Will [Maru] eventually experience mental deterioration?

Possibly.

Could you please specify what is and is not a legitimate weakness? An addiction to chocolate might be considered a legitimate weakness.

I would not consider that a legitimate weakness because chocolate (sadly) doesn't exist here.

How about something other than species, then?

I suppose "Race" might work better, yeah.

Possibly. I wish I had a better word for it, something like 'elemental region'.

Please be picky [concerning genders]. Nobody wants to see Ghost Buster.

Gender is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, so I think I'll just let it slide.

Are we allowed to have [our mask] be whatever shape we want?

I don't see why not.

Isn't this [Powers/Abilities section] a little redundant? If you're a Matoran, you can't use it, and that would be covered in Species anyway.

I was thinking of the passive bonuses Matoran get from their element. (Ta-Matoran are resistant to heat, Ga-Matoran can hold their breaths well, etc.) But you're right about it being covered under Species, so I suppose it is a little redundant.

Actually, good point. New players who don't know too much about Matoran would probably need this section (and possibly a little game staff help) to understand to what extent those types of things work.

On here things get technical. Why do we have weaknesses specified? will you be playing off of them? are they going to effect what we find, or do? And what counts as a weakness?

Weaknesses are simply something your character is not good at. I like flawed characters because they're more interesting to read about and play. However, like in the BZPRPG, the main purpose of the required weakness to make sure nobody's playing perfect characters that can't be beaten, tricked or flummoxed. 

Would physical issues, like a tendency to cramping or a missing limb, be counted as a weakness?

...I thought we just arrived.

We have, but I'm allowing a period of a couple weeks or so for people to let their characters settle in and scavenge some stuff before the game begins. I suppose that could be clearer.

We have the option of bone weapons, then? Surely things that die don't dissolve in two seconds.

Yup!

I hope you don't mind my brutally honest statements here.

I don't! I appreciate you taking the time to offer a detailed and honest critique. Thanks for all your points; I'll definitely mull over them and think about how to solve some of the bigger issues.

Thanks for your time. ;)

A thought has occurred to me - do common MU items like heatstones and lightstones exist in this game, or are characters limited to having to light fires to provide illumination and heat? 

• Upvote 3

Obviously these characters won't be turning into Toa in this RP (as far as we know), so are Av- and Ce-Matoran fair game?

Av-Matoran can shoot light blasts at people so my guess is that Av and Kra Matoran will probably be off limits.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Obviously these characters won't be turning into Toa in this RP (as far as we know), so are Av- and Ce-Matoran fair game?

Av-Matoran can shoot light blasts at people so my guess is that Av and Kra Matoran will probably be off limits.

Ah, right, I forgot they could do more than bend light to change color. Thank ya.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Why care about the Matoran? they're struggling to survive, and a group of better trained Toa could do the job instead.

Good question. You should ask the Mad Queen.

Would physical issues, like a tendency to cramping or a missing limb, be counted as a weakness?

Yes.

I totally forgot that Av-Matoran can shoot blasts of light from their hands, which is definitely a little overboard.

Your comment raises a great point: I didn't list the types of Matoran that are playable, which was an oversight. The only type of Matoran that cannot be played is Shadow Matoran. I will tentatively allow Av-Matoran to be playable, but their only ability will be to reflexively change their basic armour colour. I don't see a problem with Ce-Matoran.

A thought has occurred to me - do common MU items like heatstones and lightstones exist in this game, or are characters limited to having to light fires to provide illumination and heat?

I won't come straight out and say "they don't exist," but they are incredibly rare if they do.

• Upvote 3

'sup friends. Looking around the RPG forum lately, I've noticed there seems to be a bit of a drought. With that in mind, I'm considering putting an RPG up for approval. Perhaps it will succeed, if not because of my experience, then at least because there's less competition. However, I want to first make sure that there's a decent amount of players who would be interested. I also want the RPG to be critiqued as much as possible in order to produce a game that people will have fun playing. 

The RPG I'm talking about is Wasteland. I received some feeback when I first posted it back in November, and I've implemented the suggestions I received. The primary change is that players are now only able to play as Matoran, which everyone seemed to agree was necessary in order to preserve the flavour of the game. You can find the adjusted RPG in the tag below.

Wasteland 2.0

<snip>

Any and all criticism is welcome. (even criticism as simple as "this looks boring and I wouldn't play it")

10/10 would play

I cracked open my files on Fallen City again(the one about the Matoran Civil War in Metru Nui.), and I wanted an opinion.

I have 8 factions players can pick from, and that is:

Ta-Metru

Ga-Metru

Po-Metru

Onu-Metru

Ko-Metru(Shunned)

Le-Metru(Loyalists)

Le-Metru(Rebels)

Neutral

I'm gonna ask, do you think it is too many? Will provide explanations as needed.

I cracked open my files on Fallen City again(the one about the Matoran Civil War in Metru Nui.), and I wanted an opinion.

Ta-Metru

Ga-Metru

Po-Metru

Onu-Metru

Ko-Metru(Shunned)

Le-Metru(Loyalists)

Le-Metru(Rebels)

Neutral

I'm gonna ask, do you think it is too many? Will provide explanations as needed.

Well you have the basic six that kind of need to be there and I can assure you that a couple are going to go with neutral even if you don't list it as a faction. However with the amount of players we have here I would suggest going with "Less is More." Some explanation for the two Le factions is a must at least.

• Upvote 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Ta-Metru

Ga-Metru

Po-Metru

Onu-Metru

Ko-Metru(Shunned)

Le-Metru(Loyalists)

Le-Metru(Rebels)

Neutral

Well you have the basic six that kind of need to be there and I can assure you that a couple are going to go with neutral even if you don't list it as a faction. However with the amount of players we have here I would suggest going with "Less is More." Some explanation for the two Le factions is a must at least.

Neutral is listed as a (non)faction. Number eight on the list.

The two Le factions is the splintering of Le-Metru's military under two different leaders. The Loyalists are under Kongu, the leader since the beginning of the war. The rebels are those want to surrender, given the devastation Le-Metru has experienced.

I'll fiddle with the options some more and see what I can do.

Since you say there's only around 24 Matoran in the village, and that seems to include some NPCs, what does that mean for character limits? I'm guessing it just going to be one character per player, but do you think its going to restrict the number of players you can have?

I'm envisioning one character per player, to preserve the sense of emptiness and loneliness as much as possible, but there's no hard and fast character or player limit. There are roughly two dozen Matoran in the village at the start of the game, and players will add to that number; it doesn't include player characters.

I highly doubt a company is going to sue BZPower after a word that is very commonly used.

I'm not worried with legal issues. It's more of confusion with a repeatedly used word.

I don't think anybody is going to be confused on what you are talking about, given that it is most likely the conversation about it is only going to stay on this forum(which is pretty small already.).

The name is fine, there isn't going to be an issue, honestly. If you really want to change it, do it. I think it's a great name.

• Upvote 1

Coming from someone who has two other family members named Tim (the first being my father, and the second my brother-in-law), perhaps a better alternative would be to simply apply a minor alteration to the name instead of changing it completely, provided that you still think it is best for you to do so.

Example: Taking the title Frontier and turning it into The FrontierEndless Frontier, Frontier Unknown, or even Frontier Unlimited, depending on how you want to spin it.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Or be punny, and call it something like The Front Tier. 

• Upvote 3