Mass Effect Minifigures (Wave 1)

Ghosthands

Mass Effect is my all-time favourite video game series, and if there's one franchise I'd love to see in Lego form, that's it. Since TLG don't seem to be going about acquiring that particular contract any time soon, I thought I might as well try my hand at decal design and make my own! :P

This is the result of my work so far; the first 'wave' of my Mass Effect minifigs, if you like. I admit that there's not much building involved in these figs; most of the design is in the decals and customs. I don't claim to be much of an artist, but I've always had a thing for pixel and vector art, and I'm quite pleased with how they turned out but I'd love to get some feedback.

Each figure has two photos linked: the first is their main pic, the second is a small collage of alternate views. More information about each figure can be found on their Flickr descriptions.

Comments and criticism much appreciated!

Shepards:

Squadmates:

Enemies:

And finally, a teaser...

• Upvote 5

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Are these all hand-painted? If so, fantastic job. I personally don't play Mass Effect, but these minifigs are pretty awesome, imho.

No, they're printed decals. I make the designs on my computer (using Microsoft PowerPoint, of all things!) and print them onto sticker paper. It would take a lot more painting skill than I have to do them by hand :P

Thanks for the feedback :)

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

As an absolute Mass Effect fanatic, I think these are fantastic! :D Really great work. I'd love to see how you create Jack and all of her tattoos.

Thanks very much! I do plan to do Jack at some point, though it probably won't be for a while. I was thinking of just doing her ME3 appearance, as I prefer it, but that would mean chickening out of most of the tattoos :P

Would you create Garrus (if it's at all feasible to create a turian-like body with LEGO pieces, idk) with his scar in ME2-3, or without? I like Jack's ME3 outfit, too. Her and Ashley's makeovers I thought were pretty sweet. Oh, how this makes me wish there were LEGO Mass Effect sets! It's not like I own everything else Mass Effect, or something . . . ^_^

Would you create Garrus (if it's at all feasible to create a turian-like body with LEGO pieces, idk) with his scar in ME2-3, or without? I like Jack's ME3 outfit, too. Her and Ashley's makeovers I thought were pretty sweet. Oh, how this makes me wish there were LEGO Mass Effect sets! It's not like I own everything else Mass Effect, or something . . . ^_^

Garrus...that's a good question. I'll do designs of his face from all three games, since it shouldn't be too difficult, but as for which version I will actually make I haven't decided yet. And you raise a good point there with the turian bodies. I may just stick with a normal minifig build and hope the decals can carry the torso shape; otherwise, I'll probably have to do a custom.

Yeah, it would be great if they made them, wouldn't it? I've considered putting my ideas up on CUUSOO, but I suspect Lego would be put off by having to acquire the license with Bioware/EA.

Update for anyone who's interested - I've made a few Bricklink purchases, so I should soon be ready to make a whole load of new minifigs. Most will be from Mass Effect (my second and possibly third waves), but I'll also make a few from other franchises too. Stay tuned! :)

Excellent job on the construction of the mech, and I'm loving those decals. :)

Thanks Kughz ^^

I'm glad you like the YMIR, but in retrospect I'm not sure I made it quite big enough in proportion to a minifig...might do a remake at a later date. Probably after I've made an Atlas.

That Blue Suns design looks spot on! I like how you did Mordin's head. It's not 100% like the actual Salarian shape, but for working with existing LEGO parts it is pretty much as good as you can get. Nice work there. Similarly, Grunt looks very nice, and I dare say he looks better than Wrex. For some reason Wrex doesn't quite sell it for me, but it may just be the armor and pose. I like the mech as well, though I imagine it would be a tiny bit bigger as a set to fit a minifig inside. :)

I see from the preview that you're working on the Illusive Man. Will you be doing any other aliens species such as a Turian or Quarian? I imagine their design could be a challenge.

That Blue Suns design looks spot on! I like how you did Mordin's head. It's not 100% like the actual Salarian shape, but for working with existing LEGO parts it is pretty much as good as you can get. Nice work there. Similarly, Grunt looks very nice, and I dare say he looks better than Wrex. For some reason Wrex doesn't quite sell it for me, but it may just be the armor and pose. I like the mech as well, though I imagine it would be a tiny bit bigger as a set to fit a minifig inside. :)

I see from the preview that you're working on the Illusive Man. Will you be doing any other aliens species such as a Turian or Quarian? I imagine their design could be a challenge.

Yeah, I suppose I could have made Wrex's pose a little more interesting. The mech is actually an YMIR Mech, which is unmanned - when I make an ATLAS I will make sure it can fit a Cerberus trooper inside.

Yeah, I'll be making Tali and Garrus in the relatively near future. In Tali's case, I'm chickening out of doing anything custom, and I may in face do the same for Garrus; Turian and Quarian physiques, when compared to Krogan bodies and Salarian heads, aren't so very different to humans, especially on a minifig scale. I may find a way of doing a Turian head-crest and collar, but I expect that'll be the limit of what I can make. I'm looking into the possibility of 3d-printed pieces for Asari scalps, though.

Right, I keep confusing those two.

Haha, no worries. Not sure when I'll make the latter; I'm preparing to do a whole load of Cerberus units but I spent all my building time over spring break making my GLaDOS (soon to come ;) ) so I didn't get the chance to try building an ATLAS or a Cerberus Turret. It'll probably have to wait until the summer.

• 3 weeks later...

The decals on the mini-figs look really cool!

And update for anybody who's interested - I've almost finished my next batch of decal designs, so my second wave of Mass Effect figs (plus some Portal stuff) will be coming in the near future.