Rhea Hearstflame

They

Rhea Heartsflame is a toa of plasma written by Shadowhawk in the BZPRPG. Also, this is my first fully digital illustration. C&C always appreciated! This took about 3 hours from start to finish. Also, keep checking on this topic for images featuring Rhea (such as decked out in her equipment, action shots and a certain "special surprise")!

373px-Rhea_Heartsflame%2C_Final.jpg

(Click image for larger resolution.)

Edited by Kughii
  • Upvote 2

This is a pretty nice job. The whole build isn't too far from how I picture Rhea in my head, and I especially like the way you did the mask, it almost looks like a headdress of sorts, which is fitting both as part of Rhea's "gypsy" mantra, and also with her "Brimstone Princess" nickname.

The only thing that bugs me a little is that in this picture she looks a bit too gentle, especially with the small smile, but this is just a generic "pose" anyway.

On the whole this was a really nice job, Kughii, I look forward to seeing what else you're going to do with her.

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Guess I should have left my feedback commentary here, rather than in the BZPRPG News & Discussion...

*glances quickly around*

Well, anyway. No point in repeating here what I've already said elsewhere. Although I may point out, my username is 'Shadowhawk', one word, and 'Heartsflame' doesn't have an 's' before the 't'. Check the thread title; you might want to edit that. :P

• Upvote 1

I do have to say, the quality of your work is seriously improving by a lot. Really, this has to be one of the best pieces I've seen so far. The pose is nice, relaxed and very natural, there's no stiffness nor forced look to it at all. The lines are well defined and add a degree of depth as well as areas of interest. There's no wonky proportions nor really any glaring mistakes at all.

If anything, there only things I really can pick out would be that the Kanohi looks somewhat flat and two-dimensional near and around the mouth, though it's not much, maybe just having it a bit more off-center. The eyes themselves seem somewhat large and out of proportion with the rest of the facial features, however, I think it may jut be a result of them being pupil-less.

That's just me nitpicking, carry on good sir.

• Upvote 1

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

EGADS! I will have to fix those typos immediately. Thanks for the compliments in the General Discussion topic of the RPG.

@Gravity: I absolutely see what you're saying since I've had a few hours to look at it. The mouth could use some work, as well as the hands. Those look a little small.

A speed sketch (about 45 minutes), showing some of Rhea's gear...

320px-Rhea_Heartsflame%2C_Equipment_Spee

(Click photo for larger resolution.)

Stay tuned for more!

~Kughii

I do really quite like the sketch considerably more than the colored artwork... kinda has a bit more of the 'weathered' look, that I'm quite fond of. Also, a slightly more 'indistinct' feel to it, that lets one use their own, vivid imagination to 'fill in the gaps', so to say.

Just my personal preference. You're a great artist in any case, but personally, I myself much prefer the tone and style of your simple, uncolored sketches when compared to, say, your colored digital or even colored sketch. :)

Nice work on the swords, also. Somehow you made 'em look even meaner than does the real-life model, and that's definitely saying something.

Edited by Shadowhawk
  • Upvote 1

I'll have to say I'm even on the digital artwork and this speed-drawing style sketch, for my money I'd go with both, since they both have a major appeal that really works for me. I've already given my piece on the first Rhea sketch, so let's actually look at this one.

Aside from the fact that it can look a little blurry here and there, this too is quite well done; I especially like the picture up in the corner of of Rhea in her travelling getup, it has a nice mysterious look to it.

Also, you caught onto Rhea's silver bracelet as well, nice work on that one too.

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Thanks so much for the compliments! Her longswords are admittedly really threatening in appearance I felt going over the top on them would only add, not detract. I actually have some practice drawing that style of weapon because of Dungeons and Dragons dragonborn racial items I've been doodling.

Here's another sketch, this one between fourty-five minutes to an hour, showing off Rhea in an action sequence. I was thinking of making a four panel. I may still do that... Anyways, this is from Rhea's fight with that parakuka infected tool of Kuhrin's. (A tragic story worthy of its own retelling, but not here.)

320px-Rhea_Versus_Parakuka.jpg

(Click image for full resolution.)

~Kughii

Edited by Kughii

The new sketch is pretty good, even if it did hurt my eyes a bit upon first seeing it ( :P). You gave both Desuka and Rhea good detail, Desuka perhaps even more so with those spines and clawed hands and whatnot, he looks like a pretty menacing fellow.

Rhea herself's pretty decent, too, diving forward with her sword(s), although I have to ask myself where exactly her right arm went during your drawing frenzy.

Still, nice work, Khugz.

EDIT: Well, turns out the arm was there all along, curse my inadequate attention to detail. Looks even better now.

Edited by Geardirector
  • Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

GAAAAH, THE FACE :P

Yeah, well, I don't really think there much else bad about the picture, though, Rhea's pose might be a bit awkward, but that's that. The rest of the sketch looks really good, Desuka in particular. I just love how the spikes and back growths stand out, these things are not natural.

Also, I like Ferron in the background there, nice touch.

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...