Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

Unless Bionicle's return is well-though-out, I'd rather not have it return.

I hear this opinion a lot. My opinion is slightly different. Considering how much more difficult a successful BIONICLE revival would be than creating a new theme from the ground up, I am confident that BIONICLE wouldn't be brought back unless the LEGO Group were prepared to devote the appropriate thought and care into doing so.

How is your opinion different exactly? You're both saying you wouldn't want it back unless it had a good story.

Something I agree with entirely.

I think he just means there is no way they would bring it back and it wont be good. So if its brought back, it will be good. Although "good" is a subjective term but still

• Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I hear this opinion a lot. My opinion is slightly different. Considering how much more difficult a successful BIONICLE revival would be than creating a new theme from the ground up, I am confident that BIONICLE wouldn't be brought back unless the LEGO Group were prepared to devote the appropriate thought and care into doing so.

How is your opinion different exactly? You're both saying you wouldn't want it back unless it had a good story.

I think Aanchir is expressing faith that Lego won't bring back Bionicle badly. :shrugs:

Whereas Unglued Bike left the possibility open that Lego could bring Bionicle back badly, and he would like to preclude that from happening.

Me? :shrugs: I say it is possible for Lego to bring it back badly. However, I rule this as rather unlikely because if they don't want to do Bionicle with a decent story they will just do something else without a decent story.

There's no reason to tick the old Bionicle fans off in favor of the kids (at least, on a big scale), because they can always make something new to appeal to the kids without annoying us (at least in the "This is not Bionicle how dare you put that name on this shallow story." sense).

If they're going to write shallow story, they've got nothing to lose by calling it Hero Factory.

I like to think that they're incapable of messing it up, especially when there's no rush to get it out there; if they do bring it back, they are free to take their time and to get it right and release a product they are confident will appeal to everyone. It would be different if they were working on a deadline, which is why I am always skeptical about rumors like this. Why would they put this major hurdle in front of themselves if they don't need to? And it reassures us that if they do ever announce its return it means they've got something in the works that they've decided is gonna be worth the trouble :)

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

But seriosuly, what if they do bring it back... I remember as a child, my favourite thing to do was to play with bionicles. Back then I never really knew anything about bionicles, my parents bought me it and I had the time of my life. All my imagination was dedicated to bionicles for a few years. But I guess rumors will be rumors...

and if bionicle were to come back it wont be the same because i bet that it will have the hero factory 2.0 body.

Probably that or some further evolution of that building system, yeah. I don't at all expect set designs to go backwards — if anyone on the design team would have preferred the older building system, it would have been veteran designers like Christoffer Raundahl, and he's one of the guys who CREATED the new system.

But of course, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Proportionally, the 2.0 Hero Factory sets are almost exactly the same size as a Toa Mata, one of the things that impressed me about them when I first started collecting Hero Factory in 2011. So if some shells with more detailed mechanical textures were to be introduced, it wouldn't be impossible to create figures in this building system with a more "BIONICLE-ish" look.

Or BIONICLE could just go for a brand-new and different look. It's not like all the BIONICLE media used the same aesthetic as the sets to begin with, or like the sets were entirely consistent across all years themselves. Plenty of media reboots or revivals involve a considerable visual update to the original media, and BIONICLE might be no different — though ultimately if you want to keep it around for the long term you'd want to have at least some distinctively "BIONICLE" motifs.

My opinion is different because he's worried about the possibility of a sub-par return and I'm not worried at all, since I don't see that as a possibility. Why would the LEGO Group put forth the effort to bring it back in any form if they didn't plan on keeping the one thing that gives it an advantage over a brand-new theme?
  • Upvote 2

and if bionicle were to come back it wont be the same because i bet that it will have the hero factory 2.0 body.

Probably that or some further evolution of that building system, yeah. I don't at all expect set designs to go backwards — if anyone on the design team would have preferred the older building system, it would have been veteran designers like Christoffer Raundahl, and he's one of the guys who CREATED the new system.

But of course, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Proportionally, the 2.0 Hero Factory sets are almost exactly the same size as a Toa Mata, one of the things that impressed me about them when I first started collecting Hero Factory in 2011. So if some shells with more detailed mechanical textures were to be introduced, it wouldn't be impossible to create figures in this building system with a more "BIONICLE-ish" look.

Or BIONICLE could just go for a brand-new and different look. It's not like all the BIONICLE media used the same aesthetic as the sets to begin with, or like the sets were entirely consistent across all years themselves. Plenty of media reboots or revivals involve a considerable visual update to the original media, and BIONICLE might be no different — though ultimately if you want to keep it around for the long term you'd want to have at least some distinctively "BIONICLE" motifs.

My opinion is different because he's worried about the possibility of a sub-par return and I'm not worried at all, since I don't see that as a possibility. Why would the LEGO Group put forth the effort to bring it back in any form if they didn't plan on keeping the one thing that gives it an advantage over a brand-new theme?

dude thanks for answering my opinion cause im relly confused of if bionicle were to come back witch building system they woud use

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

As long as this new line isn't a Galidor, I'm all ears. A Bionicle reboot would be a step up if done properly.

Why do you bring up Galidor? I can't think what relation a failed line from over ten years ago would have to a possible Bionicle return.

As long as this new line isn't a Galidor, I'm all ears. A Bionicle reboot would be a step up if done properly.

Why do you bring up Galidor? I can't think what relation a failed line from over ten years ago would have to a possible Bionicle return.

Simple, it wouldn't look good if bionicle is treated poorly with sets that would be unrecognisable such as not using the basic 6 elements.

Although i think Galidor was a very experimental line, most of them had limited articulation which used ratchet joints and relied too much on the tv show to make the story. The series was also flop because the last episode ever produced showed Nick almost finding his lost father but Gorm(the villain) got to the fathers hideout first and dragged him away while he was unconscious

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

Simple, it wouldn't look good if bionicle is treated poorly with sets that would be unrecognisable such as not using the basic 6 elements.

Althoughi i think Galidor was a very experimental line, most of them had limited articulation which used ratchet joints and relied too much on the tv show to make the story. The series was also flop because the last episode ever produced showed Nick almost finding his lost father but Gorm(the villain) got to the fathers hideout first and dragged him away while he was unconscious

I don't think that last episode had anything to do with Galidor's failure. I doubt it discouraged sales of the sets, considering it was not intended to be the last episode ever, just the last episode of the season. The sets failed to sell and the show failed to attract viewers for other reasons.

In any case, I see no chance of the LEGO Group bringing Galidor back. There are not enough incentives and too many disincentives. BIONICLE, at least, has brand name appeal and a history of considerable sales strength. Galidor has neither.

If there's a demographic for it, there's a reason to bring it back. It's the same reason they keep bringing back dinosaur themes, underwater themes and space themes every few years. There will always be people (including kids) who want something.

When they cancelled Bionicle, it wasn't due to "bad" sales. The sales were declining, yes, but they were still selling all right. At least they didn't milk it dry, run it into the ground an' all that until it was selling downright badly. That way, retailers still remember it as legit enough that if Lego ever did decide to give it a facelift, a new story an' all that, they could. They still probably won't, but hey, at least they had the foresight not to let the theme stagnate to the point that it was altogether unsalvageable.

• Upvote 5

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I don't really understand why we have a thread dedicated to something which is a total and complete rumor...

Do I think it will happen?

No.

Do I want it to happen?

Yes.

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

If BIONICLE does actually makes a comeback,first the story reboot with Comics from IDW,than Toys comes,ect.

While I WISH there were a current Bionicle or even general Lego comic book... no. If Lego ever brings back Bionicle, the toys will come first. At best we might see teaser videos or the like online, or a preview comic in the Lego magazine, but there's no way Lego would ever try to pull off a reboot of that caliber without trying to establish a new buying audience before moving on to media tie-ins.

In any case, comments like this belong in the "How Should Bionicle Be Brought Back" topic. This topic is not for suggestions, so unless you have an inside scoop that says that Bionicle IS being revived with a comic series or whatever, don't post your ideas here. There's enough confusion over what's fact and what's rumor in this topic already.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't know how I'd feel if it were brought back. On the one hand, it'd make myself and most other fans happy at the return at the return of a beloved series but at the same time, I've already said my goodbyes.

...............................................................Golden Avohkii---------------------------------------------------------

MyToa Mahri Theory /MK - Toa of Coffee's Artwork /and MK's Self-MoC

golden_avohkii_banner.gif

Pirates of The Caribbean 3 is great. Go see it. Now.

I have one reason why I don't think Bionicle would return next year. That reason being that it's not been long enough to be "forgotten". If some kid got into Bionicle when he was 5, back in 2010, then he'd be 10 next year, and would still remember Bionicle. I think that tlg would take bit more time to recharge than just 5 years. Due to that, I wouldn't place any bets on Bionicle returning until at least 2020.

Edited by The Real Slim Shady

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

I have one reason why I don't think Bionicle would return next year. That reason being that it's not been long enough to be "forgotten". If some kid got into Bionicle when he was 5, back in 2010, then he'd be 10 next year, and would still remember Bionicle. I think that tlg would take bit more time to recharge than just 5 years. Due to that, I wouldn't place any bets on Bionicle returning until at least 2020.

Given that 2010 was when the line ended and had just six sets released, and that Hero Factory began in the same year, I doubt many people would've become Bionicle fans at that point.

And I think 5 is a bit young for Bionicle, which was aimed more at the 6-12 range (and drew many even older).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

personally i have mixed feelings about bionicle comming back. obviousally it would be a great thing set wise but im worried they would ruin the story.

that being said i dont think it will come back.

;(

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

I too highly doubt the return of Bionicle, although it isn't ruled out entirely. TLG obviously knows that there is a large Bionicle community out here, although I do agree with your opinions on making it good if TLG brings Bionicle back, Norik, Aanchir, and Skeletonman. Ziontyro, I think the best way TLG could bring back the story is by bringing some minor characters for the nostalgic, and making new characters so they can start a new story. Just an opinion.

6EDaWFY.png

Huh. I DID hear about these rumors, from TTV. If I remember correctly (which happens rarely), the news cam from a EuroBricks post that had a link to an entry on Christian Faber's blog. I don't have time to look it up now, but if it is, I would consider it a reliable source. For the news that a new constaction line is starting, that is, and not necessarily Bionicle returning.

The continuation of Bionicle is, unfortunately, a rumor, and we all know how rumors are.

So this post is over a month old, but I was browsing through this topic and decided to reply with some clarification (even though this doesn't appear to be a COMMON misconception, never hurts to clear stuff up).

BASICALLY, here's the deal. TTV made a video regarding a new constraction line that will be debuting in 2015; the source was Asger Johansen's LinkedIn page, which was discovered by a member on Eurobricks. Asger Johansen works at Advance, and had the line about a 2015 constraction line displayed on his "Future projects" section.

That's it. There's literally no more substance to it than that. Pretty much all we can conclude from it is that it will be a PROPER constraction theme and not an offshoot like the Superhero/Chima Ultrabuilds. There's nothing to indicate that it is BIONICLE other than wishful thinking, unfortunately (at least at this moment in time). :P

-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Huh. I DID hear about these rumors, from TTV. If I remember correctly (which happens rarely), the news cam from a EuroBricks post that had a link to an entry on Christian Faber's blog. I don't have time to look it up now, but if it is, I would consider it a reliable source. For the news that a new constaction line is starting, that is, and not necessarily Bionicle returning.

The continuation of Bionicle is, unfortunately, a rumor, and we all know how rumors are.

So this post is over a month old, but I was browsing through this topic and decided to reply with some clarification (even though this doesn't appear to be a COMMON misconception, never hurts to clear stuff up).

BASICALLY, here's the deal. TTV made a video regarding a new constraction line that will be debuting in 2015; the source was Asger Johansen's LinkedIn page, which was discovered by a member on Eurobricks. Asger Johansen works at Advance, and had the line about a 2015 constraction line displayed on his "Future projects" section.

That's it. There's literally no more substance to it than that. Pretty much all we can conclude from it is that it will be a PROPER constraction theme and not an offshoot like the Superhero/Chima Ultrabuilds. There's nothing to indicate that it is BIONICLE other than wishful thinking, unfortunately (at least at this moment in time). :P

-Mesonak

To be fair, we did entitle the video "Bionicle returning 2015?". Yes, it was a view grab, and even though we explained that it wasn't anything to point to that in the actual video, the title was made to grab as many people as possible. We should be ashamed, I know.

I realize it wasn't professional, so next time we'll be sure to act more like an actual news source and title the video "12 Things That May Point To Bionicle's Return (Number 5 Might Surprise You)".

Edited by Kahi
  • Upvote 5

I still dont get why people are thinking it will come back. Still dont get it.

Well, there's no reason to assume that it's never coming back. It was a successful theme, after all, and I believe it was ended before poor sales had much of a chance to sully that reputation with retailers. A number of other LEGO themes, albeit less story-driven ones, have been revived over the years, most notably Castle and Space Police.

There would definitely be more obstacles to bringing back BIONICLE than to bringing back either of those themes because BIONICLE was a more specific story with a lot of depth, not just a broad concept. And in many cases, it might be more worth LEGO's while to introduce a brand-new theme than to try and reimagine BIONICLE for the modern day. But nobody, certainly not fans like us, can say for sure what factors it would take for the LEGO Group to decide bringing back BIONICLE is worth their while. I have a feeling that if BIONICLE does come back, the announcement could very easily catch us by surprise. No sense waiting at the edge of our seat for that moment, but also no sense insisting that the possibility is firmly out of the question.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I don't think I want Bionicle to be back. I love Bionicle and stuff, but the way the plot has been dealed with in the last years gave me the impression that LEGO simply didn't care about it anymore.

Also, all the Media, like the games, videos, comics, etc that surronded the theme in its beginning was also pretty mediocre in the last years.

And what about the sets ? The last year of piece innovation was in 2006. After that, all Bionicle sets were basically Inika clones. 

Also, the history only got darker and darker and darker, and I actually I don't see a problem with that, but we have to remember that this is supposed to be a kid's line. 

Anyway, these are just my opinions. I would like to see something similiar to the first years of Bionicle, with that same feeling of mystery and superstition that we had in the first years, and I hope this new theme doesn't lost it like Bionicle did after a time. But if BIONICLE do return, I hope it's not a sequel, since there is nothing else left to explore in Spherus Magna, IMO, the serials are doing a pretty good job on it's own (And I hope they return one day :(). I would like a Bionicle prequel line, with each year having a different focus on diferent moments of the history of the MU. We could have a Year about Toa Jovan's journey to save Mata Nui, other about Toa Hagah's, and so on. 

I saw a few posts on Tumblr about this. One was about this guy who works at a factory that makes like labels for stands or something and LEGO hired them to make some that say "Bionicle." Another was a picture of a stand, like a promotional store display, with Bionicle sets on it. It wasn't very clear, but one of the sets looked a lot like an upgraded Tahu. I can't post the images here, but needless to say I'm excited if this true.

I saw a few posts on Tumblr about this. One was about this guy who works at a factory that makes like labels for stands or something and LEGO hired them to make some that say "Bionicle." Another was a picture of a stand, like a promotional store display, with Bionicle sets on it. It wasn't very clear, but one of the sets looked a lot like an upgraded Tahu. I can't post the images here, but needless to say I'm excited if this true.

Was it the one with the spiders and Tahu look-a-like was reaching for a mask?

new_sig_legacy_2.png