Rumor: Bionicle's return in 2015

If Bionicle did come back, I'd want it to drop all the previous loose ends. Forget about them. Greg had his chance to finish that up. We're past that. Done. Over with. Finished. If this line is going to attract new fans instead of scaring them away, the story needs to be a fresh tale, with some of the general lore (Matoran and Toa, masks, etc) tying it to the old line. I want a new mystery, new characters, new things to be excited about. I want them to take this line somewhere else instead of dwelling on the tangled web that was the old story.

Oh, and for the love of all that is holy, do not bring Makuta back. Period.

Yes. Exactly. I'd want it to continue Bionicle's original story, but in the far-flung future - so much that barely anything that happened originally has an impact (maybe they can re-introduce old elements as time goes by, but it shouldn't start as complicated as the story is now).

• Upvote 1

Okay, I'm gonna lay some more cards on the table here.

If Bionicle did come back, I'd want it to drop all the previous loose ends. Forget about them. Greg had his chance to finish that up. We're past that. Done. Over with. Finished. If this line is going to attract new fans instead of scaring them away, the story needs to be a fresh tale, with some of the general lore (Matoran and Toa, masks, etc) tying it to the old line. I want a new mystery, new characters, new things to be excited about. I want them to take this line somewhere else instead of dwelling on the tangled web that was the old story.

Bring back some old characters to tie the two together, of course. Bring back some Toa Mata, probably, perhaps in either new-yet-recognizable forms (emphasis on recognizable; i'm looking at you, Mistika) or even Turaga forms. But if we're going to have a Toa Team carrying the story, I'd rather have a fresh one than have characters someone has to drag through nine years of story to completely understand.

There should be enough references to the old story to make sure it's not completely forgotten, and to excite some old fans, but a story arc should never depend on a point made five or more years ago, because, once again, new fans should not have to slog through nine years of story just to understand what's happening.

So, yeah, that's my take on the ideal direction of the story. Give us a start almost as fresh as the very beginning of Bionicle itself. Otherwise, the story is doomed to be a mess.

I pretty much agree with everything except for the last bit. I do not necessarily want Makuta to come back as a character. However, I think he's such a central part of the BIONICLE storyline that his legacy should still have an impact. I've always thought it would be cool to have something similar to certain The Legend of Zelda storylines, in which the followers of the evil villain hope to revive him, or like Team Rocket's role in Pokémon Gold and Silver versions, in which followers of the evil villain want to continue doing evil deeds in his honor.

This would work especially well in BIONICLE, I think. The new followers of Makuta could start calling themselves the "Brotherhood of Makuta", and after a certain amount of time it won't matter why they're called that — when people hear the name "Makuta", they'll think of the new villains. Much the same way certain heroes or villains in superhero franchises have taken up the mantle of an earlier hero or villain.

• Upvote 2

I'm basically just going to re-say what someone else (I think on here, actually, but probably in a different context) said to me once to the people that say that "if Bionicle comes back, it will ruin their childhood".

It can't ruin what has already happened. Sure, you might look at the new stuff and be sad that it didn't live up to the original stuff, but it isn't going to ruin what has already happened.

(Oh, I think I remembered the context. I was saying that I hoped such-and-such movie wouldn't have a sequel, because that would ruin things.)

For if-they-bring-it-back-what-should-the-story/context-be, I'd love some Makuta action. That somehow, he had a backup plan the whole time and was Moriarty-ing (in the style of Moriarty in the final minutes of the final episode of series three of the BBC Sherlock) it all the whole time.

That would re-instate Makuta as the big-baddy that was so ahead of the good guys that they could barely do anything to him. Sure, some fresh material would be nice. And there would basically have to be, seeing that the MU is wrecked (somewhat). But I would really want some overhang from the original stuff.

• Upvote 3
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I'm basically just going to re-say what someone else (I think on here, actually, but probably in a different context) said to me once to the people that say that "if Bionicle comes back, it will ruin their childhood".

It can't ruin what has already happened. Sure, you might look at the new stuff and be sad that it didn't live up to the original stuff, but it isn't going to ruin what has already happened.

(Oh, I think I remembered the context. I was saying that I hoped such-and-such movie wouldn't have a sequel, because that would ruin things.)

For if-they-bring-it-back-what-should-the-story/context-be, I'd love some Makuta action. That somehow, he had a backup plan the whole time and was Moriarty-ing (in the style of Moriarty in the final minutes of the final episode of series three of the BBC Sherlock) it all the whole time.

That would re-instate Makuta as the big-baddy that was so ahead of the good guys that they could barely do anything to him. Sure, some fresh material would be nice. And there would basically have to be, seeing that the MU is wrecked (somewhat). But I would really want some overhang from the original stuff.

I think the somehow-had-a-backup-plan-the-whole-time thing is exactly why some people don't want him back. Not only would that be redundant, since that's basically been how he comes back every single time he's been thought to be defeated, but it cheapens what should have been his ultimate defeat at the hands of the Great Spirit Mata Nui.

If he DOES come back as a character, I absolutely do NOT want it to be a result of his own machinations. Let some other character unleash the evil spirit for their own reasons for once, not because the master manipulator who's already supposed to be dead secretly tricked them into doing it.

Or perhaps have another character somehow absorb his evil spirit and take his place as the Makuta like the villain in the most recent Legend of Zelda game. That'd be pretty cool, and would allow a brand-new villain to adopt that familiar name.

All I really want is a set of six. You can't have Bionicle without a Toa team. I really hope we get our six good guys, six bad guys and six small guys format. I always loved that.

I think that's somewhat unlikely, and not necessarily desirable either. A team of six heroes is great (after all, for the past two years, the Hero Factory theme has had a team of seven heroes, which is not much different), and having a villain to go with each hero could work, but I feel like having six of every character group just gave the LEGO Group license to be redundant (like how every pre-2007 villain and most pre-2007 heroes were near-exact clones). Designing six unique characters for each series is both difficult and potentially expensive.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time
  • Upvote 1

Okay, I'm gonna lay some more cards on the table here. If Bionicle did come back, I'd want it to drop all the previous loose ends. Forget about them. Greg had his chance to finish that up. We're past that. Done. Over with. Finished. If this line is going to attract new fans instead of scaring them away, the story needs to be a fresh tale, with some of the general lore (Matoran and Toa, masks, etc) tying it to the old line. I want a new mystery, new characters, new things to be excited about. I want them to take this line somewhere else instead of dwelling on the tangled web that was the old story. Bring back some old characters to tie the two together, of course. Bring back some Toa Mata, probably, perhaps in either new-yet-recognizable forms (emphasis on recognizable; i'm looking at you, Mistika) or even Turaga forms. But if we're going to have a Toa Team carrying the story, I'd rather have a fresh one than have characters someone has to drag through nine years of story to completely understand. There should be enough references to the old story to make sure it's not completely forgotten, and to excite some old fans, but a story arc should never depend on a point made five or more years ago, because, once again, new fans should not have to slog through nine years of story just to understand what's happening. So, yeah, that's my take on the ideal direction of the story. Give us a start almost as fresh as the very beginning of Bionicle itself. Otherwise, the story is doomed to be a mess. Oh, and for the love of all that is holy, do not bring Makuta back. Period.

I pretty much agree with everything except for the last bit. I do not necessarily want Makuta to come back as a character. However, I think he's such a central part of the BIONICLE storyline that his legacy should still have an impact. I've always thought it would be cool to have something similar to certain The Legend of Zelda storylines, in which the followers of the evil villain hope to revive him, or like Team Rocket's role in Pokémon Gold and Silver versions, in which followers of the evil villain want to continue doing evil deeds in his honor.This would work especially well in BIONICLE, I think. The new followers of Makuta could start calling themselves the "Brotherhood of Makuta", and after a certain amount of time it won't matter why they're called that — when people hear the name "Makuta", they'll think of the new villains. Much the same way certain heroes or villains in superhero franchises have taken up the mantle of an earlier hero or villain.

This is what I would like too. I just wouldn't want it to be a carbon copy of Makuta. The new villain has to be a new character in their own right, otherwise they might as well just bring back Makuta himself.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

That would re-instate Makuta as the big-baddy that was so ahead of the good guys that they could barely do anything to him.

Again? Just how many backup plans and fake defeats can one character have?

A villain who can't be defeated would do serious damage to a story. Firstly, the audience can't root for the heroes if they don't think they can ever truly win. Secondly, a story in which there is no decisive victory would stretch on - if not forever - at least far too long to maintain enough interest and enthusiasm. This was something of a problem for Bionicle already.

• Upvote 1

All I really want is a set of six. You can't have Bionicle without a Toa team. I really hope we get our six good guys, six bad guys and six small guys format. I always loved that.

I think it's become pretty clear LEGO has moved away from that approach. I think it's alright that way, makes the sets much more flexible and it would also give the new BIONICLE some sense of distinction to the old.

-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I think it's become pretty clear LEGO has moved away from that approach. I think it's alright that way, makes the sets much more flexible and it would also give the new BIONICLE some sense of distinction to the old.-Gata signoff.png

I don't know. I always liked it. I could get behind something like brain attack where they had six good six bad but different sizes.

• Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I think it's become pretty clear LEGO has moved away from that approach. I think it's alright that way, makes the sets much more flexible and it would also give the new BIONICLE some sense of distinction to the old.-Gata signoff.png

I don't know. I always liked it. I could get behind something like brain attack where they had six good six bad but different sizes.

Yeah, that could be pretty cool. It's when you try to introduce a separate set of six small sets that things become a bit problematic. BIONICLE tried to veer away from that as early as 2007. And since generally there's less room for variety the fewer pieces you have, I worry about what six small (let's say $5) sets might be like.

On that note, I also would really, really like if the constraction sets next year continue to be at the same price points as this year's Hero Factory sets. In other words, everything in multiples of $5. It makes comparison shopping a lot easier, IMO. That's why if there are "small sets" as we understood them in BIONICLE, I'd like for them to be designed for the $5 price point. This set seems to prove it's still possible with the current building system — I can't imagine TLG would release a polybag like that at a much higher price than that.

• Upvote 2

If he DOES come back as a character, I absolutely do NOT want it to be a result of his own machinations. Let some other character unleash the evil spirit for their own reasons for once, not because the master manipulator who's already supposed to be dead secretly tricked them into doing it.

I'd actually like this pretty much the same amount. (So much, so, in fact, that that was how it happened in my grand Bionicle-comes-back story that I wrote ages ago.)

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Makuta being this overarching villain is one of the reasons I stopped reading into the Bionicle story.

Look.

You can have a constant villain. You can have one overarching presence in your storyline. That can be an INTERESTING backbone.

The Problem with TERIDAX (and it isn't even his name, dumb as it is) is EVERY appearance he made in the story (outside of the first year) INVALIDATED the successes of the central heroes.

The Toa mata defeat Makuta. He was actually just pretending.

Takanuva kills Makuta. It was part of his plan.

His control over Voya Nui is vanquished. He takes over a super robot, is defeated and becomes a GOD.

Every time the heroes "win" it's taken away from them. It's exhausting. It takes their achievements and SMASHES THEM. ROUTINELY. It becomes expected. You no longer root for your heroes because you know EVERYTHING they do is for nothing.

Rooting for the underdog is only SATISFYING when there is a payoff. Our heroes overcome their obstacles and DO GOOD. But ultimately, nothing is accomplished. The villain receives no actual punishment for his deeds and your sense of cathartic enjoyment is transformed into an exercise in futility.

You always want your heroes to win. You want them to earn it. And when they don't, you're left dissatisfied and let down.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 7

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

1. I don't see how one can say that LEGO shouldn't​ bring BIONICLE back just because it'll ruin something that is now past. That's like being a fan of the 2001-03 storyline and having that "ruined" by the 04-05 arc, or a fan of the original Star Wars trilogy and having it "ruined" by the prequel trilogy. It's a flawed concept at best.

2. Teridax was not a well-written villain. At all. He was interesting in 2001, but that's the extent of his uniqueness. As a recurring villain, his "plan" was "whatever happens, that was the plan all along," which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a writer should do. That said, I still retain a soft spot for Time Trap.

• Upvote 5

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The Problem with TERIDAX (and it isn't even his name, dumb as it is)

I'm sorry. What?

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

Yes. Exactly. I'd want it to continue Bionicle's original story, but in the far-flung future - so much that barely anything that happened originally has an impact (maybe they can re-introduce old elements as time goes by, but it shouldn't start as complicated as the story is now).

>aheherm<

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

1. I don't see how one can say that LEGO shouldn't​ bring BIONICLE back just because it'll ruin something that is now past. That's like being a fan of the 2001-03 storyline and having that "ruined" by the 04-05 arc, or a fan of the original Star Wars trilogy and having it "ruined" by the prequel trilogy. It's a flawed concept at best.

2. Teridax was not a well-written villain. At all. He was interesting in 2001, but that's the extent of his uniqueness. As a recurring villain, his "plan" was "whatever happens, that was the plan all along," which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a writer should do. That said, I still retain a soft spot for Time Trap.

I completely agree with this (including the Time Trap). It's a mature decision to consider the past as an act that you can do better on. No re-dos. Just do a good job with something new whilst keeping the similar aspects of Bionicle. I'm in full faith that LEGO would know what they would need to do. 

Reading things here, I guess most people want a reboot, then ?

Yeah I guess this is a better idea than continuing the already confused plot of the original line.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a continuation if it were handled very, very carefully. I honestly don't know what chance there is of a reboot measuring up to the original. So much of what made the original story so compelling was its sense of mystery. But in a reboot, there is really not much way to preserve the mystery. Leave everything the same and it becomes predictable. Change things, and the elegance of the original solution to those mysteries is lost.

Let's look at the Bohrok as an example. Over time we discovered that the Bohrok performed an important duty of cleaning the face of the Great Spirit Mata Nui. In the new story, there's no way to hide that if it's still the case, because it's mind-bogglingly easy for people to look up. But if you change their purpose, you alter a fundamental aspect of what made them what they are. Likewise, the Mata Nui robot was the secret driving force behind the BIONICLE storyline from the beginning. There is absolutely no way to retell the BIONICLE storyline and keep that fact hidden, not when it's all over the Internet. But if you change Mata Nui into something else, like a disembodied spirit, Christian Faber's original vision for the series is destroyed.

A new story could obviously have echoes of the original series, the same way each Legend of Zelda story has its own Link, its own Zelda, and many bosses and other foes with recurring motifs, but they all share one Triforce. But once the original BIONICLE story has been told it can't simply be told again in a new way while maintaining that original sense of mystery and surprise and wonder that defined it and kept us wanting more.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I guess this is a better idea than continuing the already confused plot of the original line.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a continuation if it were handled very, very carefully. I honestly don't know what chance there is of a reboot measuring up to the original. So much of what made the original story so compelling was its sense of mystery. But in a reboot, there is really not much way to preserve the mystery. Leave everything the same and it becomes predictable. Change things, and the elegance of the original solution to those mysteries is lost.

Let's look at the Bohrok as an example. Over time we discovered that the Bohrok performed an important duty of cleaning the face of the Great Spirit Mata Nui. In the new story, there's no way to hide that if it's still the case, because it's mind-bogglingly easy for people to look up. But if you change their purpose, you alter a fundamental aspect of what made them what they are. Likewise, the Mata Nui robot was the secret driving force behind the BIONICLE storyline from the beginning. There is absolutely no way to retell the BIONICLE storyline and keep that fact hidden, not when it's all over the Internet. But if you change Mata Nui into something else, like a disembodied spirit, Christian Faber's original vision for the series is destroyed.

A new story could obviously have echoes of the original series, the same way each Legend of Zelda story has its own Link, its own Zelda, and many bosses and other foes with recurring motifs, but they all share one Triforce. But once the original BIONICLE story has been told it can't simply be told again in a new way while maintaining that original sense of mystery and surprise and wonder that defined it and kept us wanting more.

hmmm, but this continuation you speak of, It's a direct sequel of Bionicle, with the same characters and backstory that we've been given till 2010, or a sequel in the same universe but in far in the future, like many said here ?

hmmm, but this continuation you speak of, It's a direct sequel of Bionicle, with the same characters and backstory that we've been given till 2010, or a sequel in the same universe but in far in the future, like many said here ?

It would take place in the future. How far in the future isn't all that important as long as the new story isn't obligated to follow up on the direct repercussions of the old story. Could be a short enough time to see the Toa Mata as Turaga, or it could be a long enough time that they've long since died and passed into legend.

I saw someone chatting to Greg about the "new theme"

He said something like this:

"If Bionicle were to return, would you be the one leading the story team?" or something like that.

Greg's response was on the lines of "I know all of the lines for 2015 (its my job), but discussing them to the public is confidential" and "I would like to lead the story team, but if I couldn't I would certainly assist"

Notice how he never asked anything about 2015.

Edited by Zenerius
  • Upvote 4

"If Bionicle were to return, would you be the one leading the story team?" or something like that.

Greg's response was on the lines of "I know all of the lines for 2015 (its my job), but discussing them to the public is confidential" and "I would like to lead the story team, but if I couldn't I would certainly assist"

You heard it here, folks! All further inquiries can be filed under "DAUAG". :P

In all seriousness, this would be cool and very humorous form for "official" confirmation to take, but it'd be great if you could find a link to the quote for reference. Of course, it's possible that even if this is the gist of his message, he would have caught his mistake and edited his post...

In all seriousness, this would be cool and very humorous form for "official" confirmation to take, but it'd be great if you could find a link to the quote for reference.

Got it right here, Aanchir!

https://community.lego.com/t5/LEGO-General/Chat-with-Greg-Farshtey/td-p/6605180/page/349

It appears there are lots of questions regarding the leaked images. Half Life 3 confirmed people!

Edited by Zenerius
  • Upvote 1

I just don't understand.

Sorry?

You know, this whole "I hope they don't bring it back. It'll ruin my childhood," shpeal that a few people have said. I just don't get it.

Think of it like this,

When you were a child there was a special brand of ice cream you really, really like for some reason. But when you grew up, the company discontinued that brand for some reason.

Then, later on your life, they bring that said Brand, Only to screw up what made it good to you in the first place.

That is what I fear what will happen to Bionicle, should they bring it back.

I just don't understand.

Sorry?

You know, this whole "I hope they don't bring it back. It'll ruin my childhood," shpeal that a few people have said. I just don't get it.

I believe that what they are expressing is a fear of seeing something they loved so dearly brought back in a mangled form. I think that's understandable. I myself would be happy for a return, provided that it is handled well, but I see why some might be worried, given how sequels and remakes tend to turn out (in Hollywood, at least.) Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I've just never really understood that mentality. It's like... yeah, I understand if the Bayformer movies are a bummer, but guess what? Micheal Bay didn't somehow make G1 disappear by making the new movies. It's still there for fans to enjoy. It's not going to go away. You could apply that to any number of things.

Then again, I guess my attitude toward this can be linked to how I approach life in general. It's like... yeah, if I go for a walk downtown, I COULD be hit by a careless driver swerving around a corner when there's a red light, but that risk isn't enough to make simply going for that stroll through town not worth doing. It's not enough to keep me safe at home all day.

Just like that, the possibility that a Bionicle revival COULD suck doesn't mean I'd rather not risk that at all. I'll take it in stride. Besides... if it does come to that, well, I can always fill that void for myself by my own means. >wink wink<

Bionicle will always be what you make it. If it's good for you, then great.

• Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

I must be missing something because all I see is "Talking about a future anything is confidential" and "If asked I would totally do a thing".

*deflate*

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I must be missing something because all I see is "Talking about a future anything is confidential" and "If asked I would totally do a thing".

*deflate*

It took me a moment to get it also, but I think that the mistake was in equating Bionicle's return with a "LEGO line scheduled for 2015".

Quite the typo on his part.

• Upvote 4

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Greg's answers have always been rather brusque. This is an interesting bit of information, however - and if the context is exactly as Zenerius described, he may have accidentally let something slip.

Still not getting my hopes up yet, but I'll be darned if it's not hard to.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

In all seriousness, this would be cool and very humorous form for "official" confirmation to take, but it'd be great if you could find a link to the quote for reference. Of course, it's possible that even if this is the gist of his message, he would have caught his mistake and edited his post...

Does Anyone U Ask Greg? :confused:

Screencapped for posterity, in case he catches his mistake and edits his post. This is amazing.

I don't get it. He says that he knows about all of the 2015 lines, then he responds to the hypothetical. Basically he's saying that if Bionicle was in the pipe, he would know about it and want to work on it. You guys are reading too much into this. 

Another thing that should be noted is that Greg used to flat-out deny that LEGO had any plans to revive BIONICLE in the foreseeable future. He isn't doing that anymore.

NOTE: I recognize there could be a number of reasons for this. Just food for thought.

Edited by JrMasterModelBuilder

Are signatures still a thing?

Does Anyone U Ask Greg? :confused:

Screencapped for posterity, in case he catches his mistake and edits his post. This is amazing.

I don't get it. He says that he knows about all of the 2015 lines, then he responds to the hypothetical. Basically he's saying that if Bionicle was in the pipe, he would know about it and want to work on it. You guys are reading too much into this. 

I agree, I read it as him saying that he only knows about 2015 and that he can't discuss it. I mean, I doubt Lego has themes planned much past a year and a half away anyway, but I could be wrong... Someone want to confirm or deny my less than solid assumption?

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

Then again, I guess my attitude toward this can be linked to how I approach life in general. It's like... yeah, if I go for a walk downtown, I COULD be hit by a careless driver swerving around a corner when there's a red light, but that risk isn't enough to make simply going for that stroll through town not worth doing. It's not enough to keep me safe at home all day.

Just like that, the possibility that a Bionicle revival COULD suck doesn't mean I'd rather not risk that at all. I'll take it in stride. Besides... if it does come to that, well, I can always fill that void for myself by my own means. >wink wink<

But if you thought it were very likely that you'd get hit, you wouldn't go downtown, would you?

I suspect that those who are so wary of a return do not have faith that LEGO will produce a good revival of Bionicle, whereas those such as you or I, who aren't so bothered by the prospect of a revival, have faith that LEGO can make a new Bionicle line well.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Not necessarily. He says "I haven't seen anything online from any official LEGO source, just rumors", which is true. But if you look at Aanchir's screencap here....

...Greg says that he wouldn't be able to confirm or deny BIONICLE's return, even if it was happening.

• Upvote 1

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

Secondly, the story was gradually getting darker and more serious in tone to a point of just being unpleasant and convoluted. It suffered a lot of growing pains with seemingly no real direction outside of the [DON'T GET ME WRONG very interesting and exciting] Mata Nui is the thing they live in central concept. It was hard to get invested in a fantasy technorganic steampunk adventure that was just SO DEPRESSING.

I agree that the story was an overly complex mess, but I liked the darkness. Though I long for the nostalgia of the simple 2001-2003 light-hearted tropical island story, 2004 was really when the story itself got good. I mean, previously, the atmosphere was really cool, but there wasn't a whole lot of actual story. I never felt the darkness was too overdone.

In a hypothetical return, I don't need it to be the gloom and doom of 2009's serials, but something like 2006 or 2007 would be great.

• Upvote 1

Greg is being careful with his words... after all, there is no official confirmation of it ONLINE. He wouldnt need to see anything online anyways, he would be the first to know.

• Upvote 1

In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself.