Matoran wearing Kanohi

Just a few questions I've been unable to find the answer to regarding Kanohi:

1. We've seen that Jaller was fine wearing a noble Kanohi for years, is a matoran also fine wearing a great one? Obviously they can't use the powers, but I just wanted to check if they could wear them without any issues.

2. In LoMN there are two examples of characters wearing one mask over another. However the appearance of this differs in the two cases. When Makuta is wearing Dume's mask, his own Mask underneath appeared to effectively disappear, completely hidden. When Vakama put on the Vahi (and also Takua with the Avohkii in MoL) the mask just fitted over the previous one. Is either of these cases more canon than the other, or are both of them possible? Is it perhaps down to the individual wearing the mask, as obviously Makuta is very different to Vakama and Takua. And is there any limitation to how long someone could have two masks stacked?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

1. BS01 says nothing on the subject, but i'd assume that since Jaller wore a noble mask as a Matoran for over a millennium, any Matoran could wear a noble or great mask without a problem.

2. the Toa Mata each wore multiple masks simultaneously for a brief time before getting their Golden Kanohi, and it was never really explained. the comics show the mask underneath just fading into some kind of hammerspace (maskspace?) whenever a new mask was "called upon", although that could just be redacted early canon. still, it could be some sort of innate property of the protodermis...or something. not sure how that would work, but it does, in a way, fit with Makuta's example. as for Vakama...well, that could be chalked up to artistic license. as for a time limit, i don't see why there would be one.

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 1

2. the Toa Mata each wore multiple masks simultaneously for a brief time before getting their Golden Kanohi, and it was never really explained. the comics show the mask underneath just fading into some kind of hammerspace (maskspace?) whenever a new mask was "called upon", although that could just be redacted early canon. still, it could be some sort of innate property of the protodermis...or something. not sure how that would work

I thought that was due to the mask being sent to the respective toa's suva? Since they could call upon the masks from the suva... only real advantage to a golden mask over a suva is in case of destruction of suva or masks since if a mask is destroyed or suva is then the toa could not call upon the mask... hence tahu nuva's issue but with the golden masks it is litterly one mask.. and i have derailed a bit.

But point in case, isnt the mata's example because of the old masking being sent to the suva?

• Upvote 1

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

2. the Toa Mata each wore multiple masks simultaneously for a brief time before getting their Golden Kanohi, and it was never really explained. the comics show the mask underneath just fading into some kind of hammerspace (maskspace?) whenever a new mask was "called upon", although that could just be redacted early canon. still, it could be some sort of innate property of the protodermis...or something. not sure how that would work

I thought that was due to the mask being sent to the respective toa's suva? Since they could call upon the masks from the suva... only real advantage to a golden mask over a suva is in case of destruction of suva or masks since if a mask is destroyed or suva is then the toa could not call upon the mask... hence tahu nuva's issue but with the golden masks it is litterly one mask.. and i have derailed a bit.

But point in case, isnt the mata's example because of the old masking being sent to the suva?

oh! huh. i actually never knew that, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

i can't believe i never knew that

• Upvote 1

oh! huh. i actually never knew that, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah it wasn't exactly something explained canonically but explained later on by greg or something i think

A Suva is a shrine dedicated to Toa. Suva play a large part in the lives of Toa, as can be seen with the one in the Great Temple and the Toa Mata's Suva shrines on Mata Nui. Their primary function is to store Kanohi; a Toa can teleport masks to and from a Suva when they are needed. Suva physically store the Kanohi, and when called upon, convert them to an energy form and transport them to the Toa's location. Other beings, such as Turaga, can also use Suva.

Ta-da.. found it officially on biosector01... gosh i love that site. Has saved me more times than i care to admit

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Yeah it wasn't exactly something explained canonically but explained later on by greg or something i think

A Suva is a shrine dedicated to Toa. Suva play a large part in the lives of Toa, as can be seen with the one in the Great Temple and the Toa Mata's Suva shrines on Mata Nui. Their primary function is to store Kanohi; a Toa can teleport masks to and from a Suva when they are needed. Suva physically store the Kanohi, and when called upon, convert them to an energy form and transport them to the Toa's location. Other beings, such as Turaga, can also use Suva.

Ta-da.. found it officially on biosector01... gosh i love that site. Has saved me more times than i care to admit

that's a beautiful little bit of lore o:

it also conveniently explains the Toa Mata's canister lids

It really is isn't it? Also kind of makes me wonder what greg was doing when he came up with that... then again i wonder what he was doing with alot of the stuff he came up with.

But it also makes me wonder and i am not sure this was ever explained but how is a suva connected to a specific toa? But that is a story/theory for another day.

However a suva would also explain makuta's ability to have his mask under the turaga dume mask in the movie for as soon as he started to remove the dume mask he could have called upon the kraahkan.. oh this opens up so much possibility. And surely makuta could use suva as well :shrugs:

Also regarding the vakama wearing the vahi I would agree, artistic licensing since in the comics tahu wears the vahi but it does not slip over his hau nuva. plus comic-wise that would just look silly

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

It really is isn't it? Also kind of makes me wonder what greg was doing when he came up with that... then again i wonder what he was doing with alot of the stuff he came up with.

But it also makes me wonder and i am not sure this was ever explained but how is a suva connected to a specific toa? But that is a story/theory for another day.

However a suva would also explain makuta's ability to have his mask under the turaga dume mask in the movie for as soon as he started to remove the dume mask he could have called upon the kraahkan.. oh this opens up so much possibility. And surely makuta could use suva as well :shrugs:

Also regarding the vakama wearing the vahi I would agree, artistic licensing since in the comics tahu wears the vahi but it does not slip over his hau nuva. plus comic-wise that would just look silly

maybe not exactly a suva, cause as far as i know those are specific to Toa. but it's highly likely that the Makuta (or even just Teridax) invented their own equivalent.

although...it could just be artistic license in both cases.

maybe not exactly a suva, cause as far as i know those are specific to Toa. but it's highly likely that the Makuta (or even just Teridax) invented their own equivalent.

*sages nods* but we can dream can't we?

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

*sages nods* but we can dream can't we?

yea...alt-suvas are a neat idea.

and i'm modest

What happens when a Matoran wears a Great Kanohi or a Noble Kanohi?

Nothing. Matoran cannot use mask powers, so for them, it's the same as wearing a Matoran mask.

Vakama also briefly tried to wear a Great Mask, and could "sense whether the mask was active" so I don't think it would be too dangerous.

2. It was confirmed that Matoran, Toa, etc could wear two masks at once:

1. Can anyone wear more than one mask? like vakama in lomn?

1) Yes, but it is not accepted practice

Other answers above make sense. Also keep in mind that Makuta is a shapeshifter, so he could have shifted the Kraahkan to hide behind the Kiril. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

1. We've seen that Jaller was fine wearing a noble Kanohi for years, is a matoran also fine wearing a great one? Obviously they can't use the powers, but I just wanted to check if they could wear them without any issues.

2. In LoMN there are two examples of characters wearing one mask over another. However the appearance of this differs in the two cases. When Makuta is wearing Dume's mask, his own Mask underneath appeared to effectively disappear, completely hidden. When Vakama put on the Vahi (and also Takua with the Avohkii in MoL) the mask just fitted over the previous one. Is either of these cases more canon than the other, or are both of them possible? Is it perhaps down to the individual wearing the mask, as obviously Makuta is very different to Vakama and Takua. And is there any limitation to how long someone could have two masks stacked?

Yeah, great Kanohi are fine (to my knowledge at least), I mean, Marka had a great Hau, Hahli had a great Kaukau, Huki had a great Kakama, etc.

Makuta is a master of concealment, so he could easily (in my opinion) pull off an invisible mask trick feasibly. For Vakama, however, I just figured that it was shaped to fit over Vakama's mask, so they (LEGO) went with it. Takua is sort of the same deal as Vakama, only it looks like his great Pakari was replaced by the Avohkii.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Yeah, great Kanohi are fine (to my knowledge at least), I mean, Marka had a great Hau, Hahli had a great Kaukau, Huki had a great Kakama, etc.

Makuta is a master of concealment, so he could easily (in my opinion) pull off an invisible mask trick feasibly. For Vakama, however, I just figured that it was shaped to fit over Vakama's mask, so they (LEGO) went with it. Takua is sort of the same deal as Vakama, only it looks like his great Pakari was replaced by the Avohkii.

i think you're missing the point here. the shape doesn't matter - the examples you mentioned were all powerless masks in the shape of Great Masks. we're talking about actual Great Masks being worn by Matoran.

and the illusion thing is a good point. it could definintely just be a Makuta power.

• Upvote 1

I think the shape of Jaller's mask was semi-retconned to be the same as Turaga Lhikan's. But wait, Takanuva still has his Pakari on?! He must now have a great mask of strength in addition to the Mask of Light! Or was it destroyed by energized protodermis during the formation of Takutanuva?

In any case, I'd assume wearing stacked masks for a while at a time is inconvenient unless you're a shapeshifter.

Edited by Akavakaku

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

In answer to the first question, yes Matoran can wear Great masks. There is an example of that, when Hewkii? finds the Mask of Telepathy when he and Jaller and Takanuva are traveling towards Karzahni's land. Hewkii tried it on, and he stated that he could feel the power while wearing it, even though he couldn't access the powers. And then later, when Karzahni captured and swapped the matoran's masks, Kongu decided to ditch the mask Karzahni gave him and chose to wear the Great Suletu. And then later, when he became an Inika, it became organic like their other masks. :) So yeah... apparently they can.

• Upvote 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Well for the Matoran wearing a Great Kanohi mask. Nothing happens when they wear a Great Kanohi Mask, it will just be powerless like all the other Matoran who are wearing the Noble Kanohi plus there was a lot other Matoran wearing Great Kanohi like Onepu, Damek, Nuhrii and Kongu.

With the wearing a Kanohi over another I mainly have no idea what so ever. So I have Nothing to say about that.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube