Theory: The Sendback Teleporters are in the MU

Picture this: You are an unquestionably evil bad guy (or good guy, it doesn't matter, but I think bad guy is more likely), and you have an enemy that you want destroyed so he can never return to the MU. Unfortunately, killing him doesn't work, since he will just come back, and you've already killed him once, so disintegrating him doesn't work either. You just want this fighting to be over, and this person just stay dead.

You kill yourself so you are on the Red Star, where the Sendback teleporter is, right? Right?

Now you are faced with a problem. If you break the teleporter, you will never be able to get back to the MU where your enemy is. You might have a messenger you can send back to kill him, but then you're stuck on the Red Star with your enemy for time and eternity. Fun. And maybe you could time-delay said destruction with a bomb...but this is the Red Star. Where are you going to get materials to build a bomb? Unlikely.

But it's unlikely that you will ever get this choice anyway. If you die, you're probably just revived and sent back without ever seeing the RS. Disoriented, you are unlikely to find the teleporter. It's not like the Kestora are going to give you directions.

With this in mind, I theorize that the sendback teleporters are in the MU somewhere, possible near where the sendup teleporters are. This is because it is unlikely that a MU inhabitant would be on the RS long enough to deal with that teleporter or know where it is, and also because, even if they somehow could figure it out, the paradox above would get them in trouble. Unless they had teleportation powers, and then the disorientation/not knowing thing would still apply. (And if that machinery was up there and some guy had sat down and broken it, wouldn't the Kestora have connected the dots instead of going insane? :shrugs:)

By contrast, in the MU most beings are in command of their mental faculties and many have teleporter-breaking powers at their disposal. If the above scenario has any plausibility, said being would have to find the sendback teleporter(s) (which could be complicated if they are scattered throughout the MU) and break every single one. Or like have a virus to do it. (I mean if there is a Mata Nui sleep virus, there could be a teleporter-smash one. :shrugs: Much more plausible than someone finding out where the RS is and teleporting there pre-Mata Nui.)

I also think it is implusible that the Kestora broke the teleporter - otherwise wouldn't they know? I don't think they were programmed by the GBs to be insane - I think the sendback breakage drove them nuts.

So I just thought of this and started typing, so this one probably has more holes than swiss cheese. Feel free to point out any possibilities I missed that render this idea more insane than the Kestora. :P

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 4

Pretty sure Greg just confirmed that the Sendback "just broke down" -- the Kestora are trying to blame it on Gaardus but it was actually just a matter of time and decay. But it's a plausible theory from prior information. Other thoughts:

Now you are faced with a problem. If you break the teleporter, you will never be able to get back to the MU where your enemy is. You might have a messenger you can send back to kill him, but then you're stuck on the Red Star with your enemy for time and eternity.

Someone might think this, but actually, if you kill them on the RS, they stay dead (unless, apparently, they're at a certain spot). Of course, so do you then... :shrugs:

And maybe you could time-delay said destruction with a bomb...but this is the Red Star. Where are you going to get materials to build a bomb? Unlikely.

This made me think of somebody rigging the own body as a bomb that starts a countdown when they die and has failsafes so it can't be disabled. New body would be a bomb too, but its countdown wouldn't be started. They could then be teleported home, and the old body blows up after they leave. Of course, no guarantees the old body would be anywhere near machinery relevant to the Sendback, though. So probably not. It would be more useful if the bomb was powerful enough to wreak serious havoc in the RS or even entirely disable/destroy it. Fun fanfic fodder maybe. :P Obviously not possible for canon, though.

But it's unlikely that you will ever get this choice anyway. If you die, you're probably just revived and sent back without ever seeing the RS. Disoriented, you are unlikely to find the teleporter. It's not like the Kestora are going to give you directions.

No, it seems pretty clear you would at least briefly see it. It seems that Gaardus was revived and sent back normally (the last one to do so), but he retained knowledge of it. But most people probably wouldn't understand what they saw. Gaardus probably has a special ability to understand where it is, and has his own teleportation power to get back on his own. So he wouldn't necessarily understand it either at first but later could deduce it.

With this in mind, I theorize that the sendback teleporters are in the MU somewhere

It's been floated before (I forget if by you or what :P). I do think it's possible, but with the insanity of the Kestora it isn't a necessity. They can just be incompetent repairers, similar to Karzahni.

Incidentally, that would be more of "Bringback" than Sendback. :P

Or like have a virus to do it. (I mean if there is a Mata Nui sleep virus, there could be a teleporter-smash one. :shrugs:

That could work either way, actually. Picture a modified version of the selfbomb idea above; after a certain time (just before the materials of the old body get recycled, but after you go back), the dead body releases such a virus in the air. It then hunts down the Sendback machinery wherever it is on the RS and eats away at it until disabled. Could even stay and foil all attempts at repairs. Basically, if a virus is involved, no reason it would have to be in the MU. :shrugs:

I don't think they were programmed by the GBs to be insane - I think the sendback breakage drove them nuts.

Eh, perhaps, but it's just as likely their nuts-ness is why they failed to repair it. IMO it's more likely the unexpected full sapience is to blame in both their case and Karzahni's -- both are beings made by the Great Beings with the intent of following exact repairing instructions, but instead we know Karzahni deviates from the instructions. Full sapience making them misapply their imaginations could explain all of that; instead of problem-solving, they imagine new problem-making actions. But they could both actually think (at first, in Karzahni's case) that their innovations are helping, when they're really hurting.

Edit: Hijacking my post to test some format... Edit2: Done, and resetting...

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Picture this: You are an unquestionably evil bad guy (or good guy, it doesn't matter, but I think bad guy is more likely), and you have an enemy that you want destroyed so he can never return to the MU. Unfortunately, killing him doesn't work, since he will just come back, and you've already killed him once, so disintegrating him doesn't work either. You just want this fighting to be over, and this person just stay dead.

Was the Red Star intended to revive everyone in the Matoran Universe? People seem to assume this, but I have never seen any official confirmation on the matter. If anything, Greg's analogy about blood cells in the body seemed to suggest that the Red Star was designed to revive members of a population that had grown too small to be self-sustaining. It seems to me that if the Red Star did revive everyone, and operated for at least 20,000 years (Gaardus was mutated over 80,000 years ago, according to BS01, though I assume that this still means "about") then the cessation of its primary function would have been marked as a major historical event, "Death's Triumph," or some such thing.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

@ bones: Ah, I see. Very well then. I figured there was something I was missing.

Although if GBs could design Matoran to last for 100,000 years? (or implants to last that long?) it would seem that they would be able to design revival equipment to last. But I can't rule it out.

Was the Red Star intended to revive everyone in the Matoran Universe? People seem to assume this, but I have never seen any official confirmation on the matter. If anything, Greg's analogy about blood cells in the body seemed to suggest that the Red Star was designed to revive members of a population that had grown too small to be self-sustaining. It seems to me that if the Red Star did revive everyone, and operated for at least 20,000 years (Gaardus was mutated over 80,000 years ago, according to BS01, though I assume that this still means "about") then the cessation of its primary function would have been marked as a major historical event, "Death's Triumph," or some such thing.

It's basically supposed to revive anyone "vital to Mata Nui's function". Matoran (Marvah) and Turaga (Lhikan) are confirmed to be revived, as well as Hydraxon (unknown?). There's no reason why Toa wouldn't be revived - in fact it was implied that Lesovikk's Toa team was revived.

Rahi keeps going back and forth. No direct word on Skakdi, Vortixx, etc, but I think they were supposed to perform vital functions so I think they would.

Also Greg said that revived beings could be shunted off to other parts of the robot. There's no guarantee that if someone died, you would ever see them alive again. Especially since a lot of Matoran worked the same place their entire lives.

• Upvote 1