BIONICLE Fan Film - Struggle in the Drifts

Struggle in the Drifts Teaser Image

It's always cool to see a fan made Bionicle animation, but Vrahno takes it to the next level with his short film

. It features Kopaka and Pohatu during the Bohrok saga, and has great animation, sound editing, and a good story too! Even though it's more than 17 minutes long, it's still over too soon! Make sure to check it out and relive a bit of the Bionicle legend!

View the full article

• Upvote 5

Another fantastic piece of work from Vrahno! Truly captured the spirit of the Mata Nui saga, and his actual animation skills are truly impressive. While it might have been nice to see it in full HD, and there were some juddery camera movements, I totally understand how annoying rendering is and how much longer that would have taken him.

• Upvote 1

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I have one thing to say will there be more? :smilepohatunu: :smilekopakanu:

Question is, will you please make more :D? Or rather :begging:

He probably won't in the near future, no. I've been keeping track of his progress for months now, and he's been working on this project since 2012 (maybe even earlier). So yeah, it takes him a long time to get this done.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 2

Never thought I'd see this make it to the frontpage, but it's awesome that it got there. Thanks for all the kind words, BZPers -- really feels like a nice payoff after all that grueling work it took to make this.

I'd love to continue making these, and I actually have a few ideas for potential future projects (BIONICLE-related, of course, but I'd also like to do something with the Slizers/Throwbots). But TheSkeletonMan939 is right: these animations take a lot of time and effort to make, even ones that are as crude-looking as mine. It's pretty much the reason why so many fan film projects never got off the ground, in spite of all the talent and enthusiasm behind them. I've already started creating some models for other mini-films, but my PC is sadly not up to the task, and my brother rarely lets me use his -- I actually made most of this animation on his computer, and if mine was equally powerful, it could probably have been finished way-way sooner.

So yeah, it pretty much depends on whether I can get my hands on a better PC (which seems unlikely right now) or if he'll continue to let me use his (which is more likely, but not by much). As things stand, I can't guarantee anything.

I do hope that other fans will keep us entertained in the meantime. So many ambitious and talented artists in this fandom, with far superior technical assets to boot.

• Upvote 12

Vrahno's amazing so it doesn't surprise me one bit that he could come up with something this awesome.

The animation quality is quite good, and the music and sound effects are well-synced to the action. The overall tone is fantastic and evocative of the Mata Nui Online Game, Bohrok Online Animations, and even the BIONICLE movies to an extent. The anime-style sweat drop on Pohatu looked a bit peculiar in 3D CGI, though, but that's my main aesthetic grumble (and the gag where it freezes from the Ko-Wahi cold still elicited a giggle from me). The story and action scenes were very clever.

Also, KopakaXPohatu OTP! :D

Well, now I feel bad for convincing myself that something like this would never happen.

Vrahno's an inspiration. Something with less effort would have also elicited a lot of praise, but he went above in beyond with the animation, the writing, and the styling of the characters. I'm glad BZP caught it so soon, and I hope to see it gain even more recognition. I don't think I've ever seen 3D art and animation like this mixed with the types of gags we'd see in the 2D MNOLG animations (the sweat drop part also got a chuckle from me). I also loved the movements during the battle sequences. They generally weren't the typical movements that the movies seemed to use over and over, and I was engaged through the whole thing. I'm no animation expert, so I can't give the full critique, but I personally don't find any faults with this short film.

Fantastic work!

• Upvote 2

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

Dude, you should make a Kickstarter for a better computer so that you can make more projects like these. I'd donate, and I know several other people who would.

• Upvote 4

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

Dude, you should make a Kickstarter for a better computer so that you can make more projects like these. I'd donate, and I know several other people who would.

I'd donate to the cause of getting you a more powerful computer in a heartbeat. I admire your work immensely, particularly as I begin to try to establish myself in the YouTube community as a filmmaker. Keep up those animations!

Edited by Artakha's Nephew
  • Upvote 2

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I love it! It really brings me back in the old Bionicle days!

Pohatu and Kopaka are great, cool, and funny in the video. Who knew that Kopaka can reshape the ice, since he is a Toa of Ice. The video is well done, too! I am quite surprised that it took more than a year to make this video (I read the description of it).

I feel that video looks like that it can be a part to the Bionicle storyline. :)

Edited by Lenny7092
  • Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Animation is amazing, and it was a nice touch reusing sound effects from the Mata Nui Online Game.

I really liked that little part about the flipped Akaku, that sort of thing always bothers me when it happens in various BIONICLE media.

The Master of Tediosness

I don't think I've ever seen 3D art and animation like this mixed with the types of gags we'd see in the 2D MNOLG animations (the sweat drop part also got a chuckle from me). I also loved the movements during the battle sequences. They generally weren't the typical movements that the movies seemed to use over and over, and I was engaged through the whole thing.

Absolutely, particularly the movements of the Kohrak, some really fun ideas. Also I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge there was in this, as like Pohatu I hadn't memorised the Krana. But also the little callbacks to MNOLG animations as well as MOL I believe, plus the TLR music as well. Always enjoyed Vrahno's work in whatever he's done, but this just about tops all of that.

signoff.png

• Upvote 1

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

I am quite surprised that it took more than a year to make this video (I read the description of it).

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that it only took one year and nine months to finish the video.

• Upvote 1

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

It was a very entertaining video I may say and it does bring back the good old day Bionicle story of Mata Nui Online game. You sir are very talented and got skills I am so impressed and would wish for you to keep up the good work. I would donate a new pc for you in a heartbeat for you to continue making bioinicle movies for us to enjoy. When I do get settled in my home country before the end of this year I will gladly donate a new pc to you so you can make more movies let me know if this will be a good idea bro..

Noel from San Diego

• Upvote 2

10640418814_ff945700dc_o.jpg

besides my obvious peevs with this (the over use of mechanical sounds, the use of just the base toy sets without adding any detail to making them look "Bio" mechanical, ect. all of which I wish not to focus on right now) I loved this! it was great! it is sad that there might not be anymore, you would think with all of the artists out there making fan animations and projects for things like MLP there would be more projects like this... but alas there is not much at all...

Animation is amazing, and it was a nice touch reusing sound effects from the Mata Nui Online Game.

I really liked that little part about the flipped Akaku, that sort of thing always bothers me when it happens in various BIONICLE media.

well then, look who it is! never thought I would see you poke your head in here, then again why would you not?

Never thought I'd see this make it to the frontpage, but it's awesome that it got there. Thanks for all the kind words, BZPers -- really feels like a nice payoff after all that grueling work it took to make this.

I'd love to continue making these, and I actually have a few ideas for potential future projects (BIONICLE-related, of course, but I'd also like to do something with the Slizers/Throwbots). But TheSkeletonMan939 is right: these animations take a lot of time and effort to make, even ones that are as crude-looking as mine. It's pretty much the reason why so many fan film projects never got off the ground, in spite of all the talent and enthusiasm behind them. I've already started creating some models for other mini-films, but my PC is sadly not up to the task, and my brother rarely lets me use his -- I actually made most of this animation on his computer, and if mine was equally powerful, it could probably have been finished way-way sooner.

So yeah, it pretty much depends on whether I can get my hands on a better PC (which seems unlikely right now) or if he'll continue to let me use his (which is more likely, but not by much). As things stand, I can't guarantee anything.

I do hope that other fans will keep us entertained in the meantime. So many ambitious and talented artists in this fandom, with far superior technical assets to boot.

AH so that is why! I was wondering why projects like these rarely pop up. well besides that you do deserve all the praise you get with these projects! please keep up the good work, the great spirit smiles kindly on your works it seems!~

"I am the voice in your head, I am the voice of the cursed. I am the burning in a heroes heart, I am what tears couples apart. My voice sings with the voices of the cursed and the angels up above. my claws tear, tear up my enemies. tear open worlds, tear open the universe! my claws are my wrath, and the wrath of the almighty. merciless but gentle. they make the weapons of god's envious of their might. My eyes, piercing, sharp, unfeeling. they glare down all who oppose me divine or mortal. their glow shines in darkness and shields in light. they pierce the universes veil and gaze deep into its mysteries ever hungry. My hair elegant and long is like an expansive nebula, and shines with the radiance of a thousand stars, with twice the beauty. my hair flows as I charge into battle, an ever present symbol of beauty, even in grey.

I am Aexeiz Deuam, Son of Azsana. I am the embodiment of justice and Balance, neutrality, and honor. I am the keeper of divine oath and the guardian of all universes parallel or otherwise. patriarch of the embodiments - prince of the entire divine race, and ruler second to the glorious Matriarch Lady Nature. My wrath knows no bounds, and pierces all boundries. any who hurt my loved ones, or the universal balance between good and evil, and the constitution of all things natural and unnatural will be punished by my hand, I am The Lizard Prince, Lacerta Princeps, and my judgement on the unworthy is always final."

This. Is. AMAZING. I cannot imagine all the work that went into this. I love the writing and characterisation of both the characters, and the wink at the end. :D Humour, animation, sound editing and plot are all top notch, and the attention to detail was a very pleasant surprise to any fan who knows his/her stuff.

One thing I feel you should improve on is the animation of the fights - it felt a bit sluggish. Nevertheless, the animation perfectly expressed both their characters, and I loved how you animated and shot the walking sequence at the beginning - there was a weight to it that actually looked like they were walking!

I cannot express how happy I feel watching your animation, and I hope you keep it up! I'm sharing this with as many BIONICLE fans I'm in contact with, so more people will watch.

• Upvote 2

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

I knew this was going to be good as soon as I saw that signpost at the beginning, but you really exceeded my expectations. You ably used characterization to flesh out a simple plot, which is easy to do poorly, so you deserve major praise just for that. Pohatu, in particular, hits just the right balance between goofy and competent, and Kopaka is equally well-done. I do rather wish they had been voiced, but the subtitles are easy to get used to, and are rather reminiscent of the old official animations, as well (I'm thinking in particular of the '05 MoL shorts--but without those annoying gargling "voices", which is definitely a plus). Still, I'd love to see a fully-voiced version.

The only real problem I had with the whole thing was that some of the action sequences seemed just a wee bit sluggish at points. Still, I'd imagine those are tremendously difficult to animate, and the fight scenes definitely get better further in, so it's not really much of an issue.

Overall, excellent characterization + good animation = 9/10: will definitely show to siblings.

• Upvote 2

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I have to admit that I committed some big blunders regarding the framerate. First, I animated about the first fourth or third of the clip on half the normal speed because I accidentally set the animation software to only render every second frame. This resulted in a few oddly paced movements here and there. Second, I didn't know initially how to set the framerate of my video editor, so a lot of my early test renders were either too slow or too fast, and by the end, there was no time left to redo any faulty shots.

I see that the sloppiness of the action is by far the most common complaint. To be honest, I didn't plan on having any "real" action scenes at first, and only added that Kopaka VS Kohrak fight on a whim, without much planning-ahead. Didn't really know how to go about doing it, partly because the Bohrok have such an ungainly design (I did a lot of cheating with the position of their limbs if you look), but mostly because, well, I was basically learning as I went. I had to do a lot of re-animating, because both of the characters had to be in sync -- often when the Bohrok's movements looked okay, Kopaka's were off, so both of them had to be either slowed down or sped up at certain points. I also wanted them to feel like they have some weight and avoid jerky movements as much as possible... in the end, this is what came out of all this. There were some shots I'd have liked to re-render, but as said, I had to resort to using my bro's PC, but he needed it for his stuff.

But if I make a new one, I'll be sure to take these complaints into account and plan out any action scenes beforehand.

Also, these suggestions for raising money are helpful, unfortunately I don't think such a thing would be doable. I have no idea how this works for one, and I don't really have control over my money at this time. So thanks guys, really appreciate the helpfulness, but I have some real-life issues getting in the way, sadly.

But to end this post on a more positive note, I have already started building some more "intricate" models for a potential future project, and I have a pretty good idea about a story too. Can't do any animating yet beyond rough tests, but if this project ever gets done, it'll hopefully result in a more polished animation. ;)

• Upvote 3

When I read about this I was expecting a fairly dull stop-motion clip, but it turned out to be astonishingly good. The animation is very bright and near-flawless, the dialogue between the two Toa is lively, the combat moves are very inventive, the storyline is followed accurately, and the feel of Templar's work was recreated especially well. If this had been reported as official content, I wouldn't have thought otherwise.

I do echo what some people have said regarding the action. It's not so much that the actual movements are slow, but that there seem to be a lot of pauses between clashes that leave the atmosphere a bit lacking in urgency. The moment in which Pohatu almost gets Krana'd is the only one that really feels perilous.

The only other point of criticism that I personally have is that - with seventeen minutes nearly all spent in the same setting with the same two characters fighting the same opponents - it ends up feeling a bit overlong. I think this could've been much better if it unfolded and concluded a few minutes faster.

But overall, brilliant work and thanks for sharing.

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

The video was one of the greatest things I've seen all summer. I definitely want more. The only thing that bothered me was the cuss. Am I the only who feels this way?

This was simply fantastic. The fact that something like this was actually completed and released, compounded by being of good quality, baffles me. You've done good, Vrahno. You've done good.

Our channel will surely be promoting this very soon.

-Mesonak

• Upvote 2

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved it! Though canon wise, I doubt that Kopaka would go so far as to kill the Krana... just seems kinda heartless knowing they're actually alive. But other than that... is there more? :D  :br:  :begging: :popcorn:

Love Kopaka and Pohatu together. BFF totally  :kakama:  :akaku:

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

That was well made and i really enjoyed that. I like how it showed off the friendship between Kopaka and Pohatu as well as what actions the Bohrok could perform.

I'd say that was a masterpiece for Bionicle fan made animations. You could definitely tell that a lot of effort was put into it.

I've loved everything you've made, Vrahno, and this only shows that my faith was not misplaced.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?