MS-026 Sunset Gundam

dviddy

sunset00.jpg

sunset01.jpg_thumb.jpg | sunset02.jpg_thumb.jpg | sunset03.jpg_thumb.jpg

So this one takes the basic legs from my white and orange one, and does something entirely different, with an entirely new torso, new shorter arms (they have the same yellow shell, but the internals are entirely different because it needed to be shorter), new feet, new flight system, new weapons, and an entirely restructured head. I spent, man, like a solid twelve hours just on redesigning the inside of the head? Too many. The gun exists to be a gun. It's not very good because I hate building guns because I hate guns and prefer swords, but this model required a gun. Boo.

This is my BBC contest entry.

• Upvote 4

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

An excellent job. The shaping of the torso is excellent, though up in the neck area it gets a little.... cluttered? That's not quite the word I'm looking for. It's well-shaped but also kind of.... distracting? idk.

What do you mean by "it required a gun"? is there some sort of stipulation to the contest I was unaware of, or is this some sort of thing with your big Gundam-off?

What do you mean by "it required a gun"? is there some sort of stipulation to the contest I was unaware of, or is this some sort of thing with your big Gundam-off?

I mean more that I can't envision a Gundam with this sort of look, with whatever military purpose it serves (I see it as sort of an ODST sort of suit) working well with just a melee weapon, and I think more ranged weapons have a better effect. It's all about trying to be consistent with the theme of the build. While I liked the look of the spear and wings on the last big model, they don't fit the look or tech requirements for the in-universe purpose of this suit.

Does that make sense? Outside of just colour and design consistency, I generally try and keep a model consistent with itself as well.

• Upvote 1

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

This is a marked improvement over the last design by far. I like that (unlike me) you broke away from the standard of design you two accidentally made and did something that takes after your own style. The head in particular is fantastic. The colours are, as always with you, spot on.

However, while I can bow to your decision to make a goofy zappy gun, the shoulder pods not only clash with that idealistic, they look like they are comically undersized for the frame of the armor. I'm also distracted by the sloppiness of the ankle boosters.

Minor qualms though. Otherwise, a stellar entry! Can't wait to see how this contest plays out!

• Upvote 1

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I agree with Makaru that this is much better than the previous version, and definitely has more of a Gundam feel.

I think the head is arguably the best part of the MOC, as it does look like that of a Gundam, although the side view of it is a bit iffy, because it makes the eyes seem a tad too large.

I like how the torso is constructed, however I feel that if the yellow HF circles were red, instead of yellow, that it would mesh with the overall MOC better, or alternatively, a small splash of yellow on the legs (preferably on the kneecaps) would have helped balance the yellow a bit better. It just feels that there might be a tad too much yellow on it is all.

The wings on this are nice, however it might have been better to make most of the jet-pack area a color other than white, because from the angle you posted, it looks a bit cluttered, a more head on angle might have proven otherwise.

Also, just like Makaru, the shoulders are lacking. There isn't much that can be done due to the HF wheel thing, but some larger sort of shoulder armor would've been nice.

But these aren't majorly distracting, just stuff that detracts from the Gundam aspect, rather than the technique/appearance.

A solid entry nonetheless, good luck in the contest!