Short Stories Contest #8: Title Twisters

Velox

Hmm... this has definitely become one of the largest writing contests on here, if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, the older short story contests used to have 60+ entries on several of them... it's just the last few contests that haven't had many entries, so this is still a big step up. I myself am quite proud and pleased -- hopefully just as many people will enter future contests.Less than two hours until the deadline!newso1.png Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Member name: GSREntry name and link: FracturesWrote this in a day. Deadlines seem to show up so much faster in college. Good luck to all! Also, disclaimer: I really am not superbly versed in later Bionicle lore, so I apologize for any errors in continuity.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Member name: Tahkuta

Entry name and link: What Lurks Below (

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=2108)

Song Of The Month: From Scythe to Sceptre - Be'Lakor

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
Hau and Kakama collected!
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y X Z
Red= Taken and in Progress, Blue = Open, Black = Finished

Aand the entry period is now over. Thanks to all who entered! Hopefully judging won't take too long, and then there'll be a chance for everyone to vote on a "people's choice" entry.Good luck to all.newso1.png

For those that are interested: the entry list has been updated [thanks, Black Six]. Thanks again, everyone, for all the entries!I will post here again once the first round of judging is over and the polls are posted. Keep an eye out!newso1.png

A question: Will a really long short story (oxymoron, I know :P) suffer more in the judging process than a "short 'n' sweet" story? I'm asking because while my story is long (7,500-plus words), if I had made it shorter it would have seemed rushed, and I don't know if having a very long plot will damage my chances.

Edited by Legolover-361

While I would say that generally "less is more" when it comes to writing, but I don't think that length is a judge for quality. What matters is how your story is written and the effect it achieves. I good story is a good story. It can be long, as long as it doesn't have a lot of unnecessary padding, or short, as long as it doesn't rush. I am pretty sure the judges know this and will try to be as unbiased as they can.Public opinion might favor one or the other, however. (I expect it to be a battle of short attention spans vs. preference for "epic" storylines that feature a lot of action.)

Edited by Yukiko

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

I hope that longer stories are okay, because mine couldn't really be any shorter. The super short ones don't seem to have a well developed plot. I guess it's hard with such a limited word count.

Stories won't be "graded" less simply because of length. The only reason it would be is that if it is unnecessarily long, and the story just drags on and is boring/etc. But if the story is well-written, then the length shouldn't matter. Same with what 5s said about a shorter story -- unless it feels like there wasn't enough [and a difference between wanting more, and feeling the story needs more; if you want more, it was good, if it needs more, then it just wasn't enough], then it won't have any less chance of being picked. Now, sure, it is easier for judges to read shorter stories, and they probably would prefer them, but again, they should be judged on quality, regardless of length.newso1.png

Any idea when we will hear of updates on the judging?

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg
I accept PBZP Requests. Just PM Me the letter you want, and the details of what you'd like to see in the MOC.

Any idea when we will hear of updates on the judging?

Give it time, it hasn't even been a week. There's a lot of entries to go through and rate.
Believe it or not, we should be ready with the public winner voting as soon as December 10th, the Judged Winner and the results of that poll will be posted together a few days after that.One of our judges has already gotten me his results, and the other judges all seem active and planning to meet my deadline.- 55555

When results come in will we be able to see what the judges thought of our entries? Mine got no replies when I posted it :C

In some cases yes, in some cases no. Mostly no.But I know for certain that some judges have reviewed entries but are waiting to post the reviews until the judges are revealed, so that they won't give away their identity.- 55555

Will you guys link the polling? And have Prizes been announced >?

qs104307.jpg
qs104307.jpg

The Prizes were announced by Black SIx during one of the BZPowercast sessions. I'm pretty sure

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

bum_review_spoof_new1.pngP.S. I am not Doug Walker, nor do I claim to be.

Dark709 Fanmovie CHECK OUT DARK709's COMICS AND MOVIES!

Darthbrandon14's "ESCAPE FROM DARKNESS", coming soon

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif

The Prizes were announced by Black SIx during one of the BZPowercast sessions. I'm pretty sure
Indeed. The prizes were various prototypes and ETERNAL GLORY.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

While there's a good chance this won't happen come the close of the polls, what would be the tiebreaker should one or more entries be tied in first, second, or third place? Since this is a people's choice, I can envision disappointment among the members if the judges did the work - they already had their say.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

While there's a good chance this won't happen come the close of the polls, what would be the tiebreaker should one or more entries be tied in first, second, or third place? Since this is a people's choice, I can envision disappointment among the members if the judges did the work - they already had their say.

There could end up being a final tiebreaker poll. :)

I'm BACK!!!!!!!!

PM me if you want your comics or movie's reviewed by a guy who loves Bum Reviews!

bum_review_spoof_new1.pngP.S. I am not Doug Walker, nor do I claim to be.

Dark709 Fanmovie CHECK OUT DARK709's COMICS AND MOVIES!

Darthbrandon14's "ESCAPE FROM DARKNESS", coming soon

IF YOU WANT TO GUEST STAR, PM ME ASAP! GIVE ME A "RAZOR" SPRITESHEET! DON'T POST IN MY COMICS!

new_comic_banner.gif