Bionicle is really weird

When you step back and think about it bionicle IS really weird. 

The charachters put on masks witch enhance their abilities. now think about that for a minute WHY MASKS!

Everybody lives inside a giant robot. nuff said

A planet blew up into 3 peices

They take disks and carve them into masks WHY DISKS!
big evil plants want to kill everybody

one species has a slug on their back that makes them mad (not just because they have a slug permenantly attached to their back, it actually goes in their brain and makes them mad)

you slap a mask on an animal and you can controll it with your mind. How does the mask fit?

This isnt to say bionicle is bad. Some of these things were what made bionicle so great. its just that there REALLY WEIRD.

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

Yeah it sure is, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure it's produced a few dumb bits, but if I had to choose between the current, unapologetically zany Bionicle and a "safer" one, I'd easily go with the former. Would I change parts if I could? Yeah, but you take what you get.

Ya the weird and crazy was part of what made bionicle so special. The only thing i would change was them living in a giant robot...

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

1: Their universe is based on Oceania culture, for example masks.

2: The story is an allegory for one of the writers who had a brain cancer.

3: Pretty reasonable if you ask me. Take a nice planet, cut off the two areas that make it worth living on: water and vegetation.

4: The disks predated Bionicle. The Throwbots had them. They just waited until 2005 to stop making them.

5: Pretty common in sci fi and fantasy.

6: Wha? You mean Rahkshi? Or are you mixing it up with Brain Attack?

7: Standard villain power, controlling your slaves with corrupted artifacts.

8: Ah, see, they all had to have the masks put in different places. Tarakava had them on their snouts, Muaka and Kane-Ra on their shoulders, Nui-Jaga and Manas on their claws, and Nui-Rama... on their eyes.

• Upvote 2

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

you slap a mask on an animal and you can controll it with your mind. How does the mask fit?

Considering the creatures of Bionicle were created and not evolved, this might not be so weird. One could create many kinds of electronic devices, but give them all a USB port somewhere, even if in different spots.

one species has a slug on their back that makes them mad (not just because they have a slug permenantly attached to their back, it actually goes in their brain and makes them mad)

Are you describing Rahkshi? If so, I'm not sure that's quite how they work. It's not as if the slug is parasitic or something. It's using a suit of armor. Like a Dalek, sort of. If you're into that.

Edited by Toarobot18

nban.jpg

Credit to Zeddy! ------------------- Click the banner above!

And please also enjoy my other fine comedies:

The Bionicle Entrepreneur - Nuva Join the Navy - Toy Wars - A Comedy of Comics

6: Wha? You mean Rahkshi? Or are you mixing it up with Brain Attack?

Are you describing Rahkshi? If so, I'm not sure that's quite how they work. It's not as if the slug is parasitic or something. It's using a suit of armor. Like a Dalek, sort of. If you're into that.

He's talking about the Skakdi/Piraka.

Anyway, BIONICLE is sort of weird, but I that's one of the things I like most about it - it wasn't afraid of create an immersive, thought-out world and throw you right in the middle of it, and just hope you'll go along with it. Many of the strange aspects do have roots in real-world cultures or individuals (like the Polynesian-style names and cancer allegory), which makes them more believable.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

When you step back and think about it bionicle IS really weird. 

The charachters put on masks witch enhance their abilities. now think about that for a minute WHY MASKS!

Because it's weird. :) To be original, weird is a prerequisite. :) Otherwise you just have generic, same ole, same ole.

Everybody lives inside a giant robot. nuff said

A planet blew up into 3 peices

They take disks and carve them into masks WHY DISKS!

The disks part is really one of the least weird. We have frisbees in this world. It's an efficient way to get a large chunk of something (enough protodermis to power something close to a mask power) from point A (the user) to point B (the target since they're activated on impact). You could also use an arrow, but it wouldn't have its own lift.

big evil plants want to kill everybody

That part isn't weird. :P

I'm not sure who we're talking about now. This sounds like a description of the Brain Attack arc of Hero Factory. Maybe Rahkshi? But Rahkshi aren't a species; they're a suit of armor (that used to be the slugs, prior to soaking in EP). Which is still weird, but accuracy. :P Rahkshi have no brain of their own; the Kraata's brain is what controls the suit's motions.

Maybe Bohrok? Bohrok have simple robot brains, but the Krana aren't slugs and don't attach to their backs, but foreheads (inside).

I'm not sure if we're still talking weirdness or if this is a serious story question, but the answer if the latter is simple -- the Makuta make Rahi with parts to attach masks, in case they ever want (or need, from the pre-evil perspective, to handle out-of-control Rahi) to take them over directly. And they generally seem to include masks automatically.

But yes, that's weird, and that's why it's awesome. :) It's a new idea, or with unique details. That's imagination -- that's LEGO. :)

The only thing i would change was them living in a giant robot...

Really? Why?

Pretty reasonable if you ask me. Take a nice planet, cut off the two areas that make it worth living on: water and vegetation.

Yeah, and since those zones happened to be at polar opposites (literally), it makes a ton of sense, both for why they have those habitat traits and why those two places broke off. The solar angle would be lower, explaining why most regions closer to the equator were desert, and most open water or thick vegetation would be at the poles. And the rotation could produce lines of physical weakness at the poles that EP traveled up and when it exploded broke those two parts.

Had it NOT broken two parts of equal opposition, in fact, the blast would have been directional (even if averaging out between two or more openings), and the planet would probably be blasted out of proper orbit (not escape velocity, but the exact alignment could be lost, leading possibly to eventual extinction from heat or cold). And had there been no points of weakness, probably the whole planet would have exploded, wimpily, but enough that it would at least be a superquake killing everybody on the surface.

He's talking about the Skakdi/Piraka.

? There's no slugs involved with Skakdi. I think he's confused about how Rahkshi work. Hopefully the above will clear it up. :) Edit: Okay, see three posts down -- it appears there actually is an obscure reference to slugs with Skakdi that fit that description. Our bad. :P

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Bionicle is really weird

Tell me about it. As someone who spends more time on BS01 than should be morally justifiable, I know that better than anyone. :P

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

No dur. Captain Obvious approves this message. :P

Um, spine slugs don't make them mad necessarily. It's proven that they absorb anger, but not that they increase it. And it doesn't go inside their brain - it stays on their spine. 

And not everybody lives in a giant robot. Everybody lives in...two giant robots. And a Red Star. Except for the Great Beings. Except we don't know that. 

Is it wierd, or unique?

Bionicle is outlandish by human standards, but this is an entirely different universe we're talking about here. I don't really feel like the word "weird" correctly describes Bionicle's... Outlandish nature.

• Upvote 2

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

Most of those I just chalk up to scifi and fantasy.

The planet exploding thing, though... I always thought that was just a bit too impossible. If a planet exploded, I doubt any chunks left would be the least bit inhabitable.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

The planet exploding thing, though... I always thought that was just a bit too impossible. If a planet exploded, I doubt any chunks left would be the least bit inhabitable.

It's theorized that the need for Mata Nui to launch at that time was because he would use a planet-scale shock-dampening power to prevent that. :) (And given what I said before about opposing poles, it's actually quite possible, once you grant that such powers are possible within the fictional universe.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I was also meaning the likelihood (or lack thereof) of any life being able to survive on any of the chunks. (Like, how could plants grow on a chunk of a planet that has no atmosphere, etc.)

I didn't know about the poles being opposite opposing-ive. Interesting. That's something that's canon?

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I think he means that the areas that hold the three pieces together are weaker than the rest of the planet, giving it areas on which to divide. And no, it's not confirmed, it's a bonesiii theory. :P

I think Bota and Aqua Magna have atmospheres, which they ripped off of SM when they divided out. 

Like, how could plants grow on a chunk of a planet that has no atmosphere, etc.

Where did you get the idea it (I assume you mean Bota Magna) had no air? Doesn't the presence of plants and breathing Vorox, etc. prove it does? That's a rather strange argument. :P

Besides, it came off the other pole opposite Aqua Magna, and we all know that had air (2001 had masks, not spacesuits :P -- and a Toa of the stuff, after all). Both were plenty big enough to pull up a lot of air.

fishers, not sure what you mean, but I was talking about the "not blasting out of orbit" thing from an earlier post. And yes, it's canon that the moons came from opposite poles. There are several images showing that. [Edit: I was in a hurry when I typed this. I get it now. :P Yeah, that would be part of it too.]

Edited by bonesiii

Well when you put it all without context like that most any sci-fi/fantasy will sound awfully odd :P I mean try doing that with Star Wars or Doctor Who or Harry Potter, they wind up sounding pretty weird!

But I've got to agree with what a lot of people, it's that element of different and weird that draws us all into these sci-fi/fantasy stories, Bionicle especially ;)

-Signature

*bangs head on desk for speculating and writing confusing post*

fishers, not sure what you mean, but I was talking about the "not blasting out of orbit" thing from an earlier post. And yes, it's canon that the moons came from opposite poles. There are several images showing that. [Edit: I was in a hurry when I typed this. I get it now. :P Yeah, that would be part of it too.]

Glad you get it anyway. :) Now I've probably confused some other people too. Let me fix that.

(And given what I said before about opposing poles, it's actually quite possible, once you grant that such powers are possible within the fictional universe.)

*goes up the topic to see what bones said about opposing poles, which I remembered*

Yeah, and since those zones happened to be at polar opposites (literally), it makes a ton of sense, both for why they have those habitat traits and why those two places broke off. The solar angle would be lower, explaining why most regions closer to the equator were desert, and most open water or thick vegetation would be at the poles. And the rotation could produce lines of physical weakness at the poles that EP traveled up and when it exploded broke those two parts.

Had it NOT broken two parts of equal opposition, in fact, the blast would have been directional (even if averaging out between two or more openings), and the planet would probably be blasted out of proper orbit (not escape velocity, but the exact alignment could be lost, leading possibly to eventual extinction from heat or cold). And had there been no points of weakness, probably the whole planet would have exploded, wimpily, but enough that it would at least be a superquake killing everybody on the surface.

That point makes sense in context- gravity and inertial dampening powers could have stopped people from getting killed from the shock, if MN was launched from the center.  

But now, looking over this, that last paragraph is wrong IMO. Given that the SM people were draining stuff out of the core. I thought the planet would have imploded, not exploded, and the whole thing would have crumbled to pieces. (Given that, during the Shattering, the planet contracted around the moons to send them into space, thus a minor implosion anyway.)

And since that sentence may be vague, here's the full memory loop: https://web.archive.org/web/20121006180226/http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=335541

This inner core is left as a hollow area, and the surrounding bedrock begins to crack and pull inwards. This creates a Zamor-launcher effect on the two poles and pushes them out.

And now I'm getting out of here, as hopefully bonesiii can read bonesiii. :shrugs:

But now, looking over this, that last paragraph is wrong IMO. Given that the SM people were draining stuff out of the core. I thought the planet would have imploded, not exploded, and the whole thing would have crumbled to pieces.

But it wasn't draining that caused the Shattering, remember? It was tapping into the power of EP, which made all the EP explode. It was like activating a live circuit in a ton of C4. Explosion is definitely the answer. :P

As for why it didn't implode earlier, I highly doubt they had yet taken a noticeable percentage of all the EP that was there, or if they did, it couldn't have been that big a pocket so wouldn't be that relevant to planetary stability. Keep in mind how jawdroppingly huge Spherus Magna is.

(Given that, during the Shattering, the planet contracted around the moons to send them into space, thus a minor implosion anyway.)

And since that sentence may be vague, here's the full memory loop: https://web.archive....howtopic=335541

bonesiii (again lol) said

This inner core is left as a hollow area, and the surrounding bedrock begins to crack and pull inwards. This creates a Zamor-launcher effect on the two poles and pushes them out.

And now I'm getting out of here, as hopefully bonesiii can read bonesiii. :shrugs:

As far as I know that was just an old theory. I now doubt that played a role. It wouldn't likely create enough force (if pressure could just bend the other bedrock, likely it would simply bend the pole rock too, so the only result would be some possible mountain warping at the poles). I did forget I had said that though (lol). But the core would only be hollow after the explosion anyways, so it's redundant to appeal to some other mechanism when the explosion already handles it (not sure, but that post might have been written before I knew about the explosion -- I didn't click it to review just now; in a hurry yet again sigh, but I recall that I missed whatever story source said it and had to learn it from BZP).

• Upvote 1