So, recently I've been thinking about the Kestora and what they do, and I became curious regarding their origin and nature.

Frankly, we know little about them, and here are the facts we know so far, according to BS01:

• Sapient species created by the GBs
  • Purple and black armor (irrelevant info really)
  • Wear Kanohi masks but cannot access the power
  • No powers
  • 2 populations
    • City of Silver Dimension
    • Red Star
  • Both populations seem to have little regard for other lifeforms
    • CoSD Kestora invade a city and laugh at Takanuva's face
    • RS Kestora are "morbidly curious" and have no problems dissecting MU beings

Now, that I laid out some of the  facts regarding Kestora, I would like to to present you my 3 hypothesis, which might have little evidence, but do seem to follow a pattern.

Hypothesis #1: The Kestora were based on the Bone Hunters.

Now, I know this sounds weird, but this is what I have in mind: the GBs seemed to base most of the species they created in the MU on an already existing species on Spherus Magna. Matoran and Toa are examples of species that the GBs created to inhabit Mata Nui. Also, while they didn't directly create the Bohrok, they surely impacted their inception and based their form on a former creation, the Baterra.

Based on this, I think that the Great Beings wanted to create hardy, resilient, diminutive creatures that would be more aggressive, morbid, and able to perform the "dirtiest" job in the Universe. Since the Bone Hunters have a culture of piracy and "survival of the fittest" ideology, the GBs decided to base their morticians/undertakers (for a lack of better word) on this violent race on Spherus Magna.

Hypothesis #1.5: The Kestora were based on the Skrall

This one is a bit more far-fetched. Most of the reasons I gave for Kestora being based on the Bone Hunters applies to the Skrall: both species are violent, militaristic, xenophobic, etc. However, the Skrall come in as candidates as their culture is much more... "swarmish" as the workers pretty much do whatever for the greater "good".

Hypothesis #2: The Kestora are Matoran prototypes.

This one is my personal favorite. So lets begin.

First of all, the Kestora wear masks and seem to look similar to Matoran, however they are powerless much like the Agori which they were based off of. The idea that they came before the Matoran and are their forefathers also comes from the fact that the GBs creations tend to be quite violent. Helryx, Orde, Karzahni, Zyglak (even if they were and accident), Fire Emblem, Tren Krom were all very... Cold, and seemed to have hot tempers. The Kestora are this way as well. They don't care for other life forms, and are purely focused on their tasks. My idea is that the GBs saw this, they noticed how violent and brutal this things were when they first activated them, so they decided to shove some of the population in a pocket dimension, and used the rest for a morbid task that would fit their nature. Another reason they might have abandoned them in favor for the Matoran might be due to their absentmindedness.

References:

BS01 (Kestora, Great Beings, Toa, Matoran, Agori, Glatorian, Skrall, Baterra, Red Star)

Please read the evidence I provided for the hypothesis you wish to respond to, but if tl;dr is your case, here's the summary:

#1: Kestora are based on Bone Hunters cuz they're both violent little creatures.

#1.5: Kestora are based on Skrall due to the shared swarm-like mentality.

#2: Kestora are Matoran prototypes and were originally based on Agori, but were replaced by Matoran as they were too morbid/violent/aggressive.

Thanks for reading. :)

Edited by Archon~
  • Upvote 3

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I like the way you think. It could be either theory personally, though I like to think that the Kestora are their own species not just "early Matoran". Gives them a bit more originality. :shrugs: I wish they appeared more in the story and we could learn more about them.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Wow, I really like #2. It does sound the most feasible out of all of the explanations, and it does seem that the GBs have a habit of putting their accidents/failures/beings they don't need in or as part of the systems of the Great Spirit Robot. Maybe the Kestora were created alongside the Av-Matoran and accidentally "Got lost", seeing as during the MU's construction in theory there might have been:

1. Some kind of teleporter to the RS and/or

2. Possibly some dimensional instabilities.

So with that, the Kestora might just be two groups of lost Ba-Matoran. Just a thought.  :notsure:

VBWj75sh.png

I think the GBs just wanted those in charge of the RS to be a unique species, but essentially like Matoran, so that there would be no risk of a "bias glitch" developing toward other Matoran and against other species. So, to me your third idea is probably closer to the mark, but whether Kestora are the prototype or are a later variation on the theme would actually be somewhat irrelevant. And if the GBs noticed they were "glitching" already I highly doubt they'd assign them to such an important job. :shrugs: It sounds more to me like the GBs assumed their programming of the Kestora was sound and didn't have time to check up on them, as the Shattering could happen at any moment.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Who is Fire Emblem? Isn't that a game series from Nintendo?

• Upvote 3

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Interesting ideas! But I'm pretty sure the Bone Hunters were regular Agori who turned to banditry after the Shattering.

Actually, evidence indicates they were around before the Shattering, since it's mentioned that they refused to participate in the Core War. bonesiii has a decent mini-theory about that that he presented in his fanfic.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I think Archon~ was referring to the Fire Entity, an elemental creature created by the Great Beings, and simply mistyped. ;)

Yea, that is what I meant, good looking out. :P

I think the GBs just wanted those in charge of the RS to be a unique species, but essentially like Matoran, so that there would be no risk of a "bias glitch" developing toward other Matoran and against other species. So, to me your third idea is probably closer to the mark, but whether Kestora are the prototype or are a later variation on the theme would actually be somewhat irrelevant. And if the GBs noticed they were "glitching" already I highly doubt they'd assign them to such an important job. :shrugs: It sounds more to me like the GBs assumed their programming of the Kestora was sound and didn't have time to check up on them, as the Shattering could happen at any moment.

I like the non-bias idea you have there. :P

And, yes if the glitch did make them colder and apathetic towards other beings, my idea was that it would simply make them more suitable for a job that required dealing with deceased beings.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Actually, from the looks of it, I'd say the Kestora were never part of the sapience revolution in the MU. Greg has described them as "cogs in a machine" who just keep doing their job, unaware that it'll lead to disaster -- that sounds to me like the thinking processes of a programmed biomech, not a sapient one.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

BS01 says they're sapient, and I seem to vaguely recall a Greg quote confirming that. He's also recently said "thinking out loud" that the sapience may have spread by a virus. That could spread to Kestora via dead bodies teleported up, perhaps, if nothing would screen it out due to being unknown etc.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Only relevant to Bones' last post, not the OP, but... a sapience virus could make a lot of sense in context of the Matoran species being "accidentally" sapient.

Edited by ChroXumo
  • Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Only relevant to Bones' last post, not the OP, but... a sapience virus could make a lot of sense in context of the Matoran species being "accidentally" sapient.

Er, it's not like Matoran are like Rahi. It's probably Velika's riddles that forced the Matoran programming architecture into higher levels. :P

It's also possible that Velika reprogrammed a bunch of Matoran units and had to stop, but then the sapience of those six threw glitches into everyone else, driving sapience to everyone. :shrugs: