Chronicler's Company Rebuilt

Click

These guys have been sitting on my display shelf for months, so I figured I'd finish them up and post them before Brickfair. May I present my favorite canon bunch of Matoran:

Chronicler's Co. Rebuilt

14651129016_e86f437d2b.jpg

^ Link to Flickr Gallery ^

Takua

Kapura

Hafu

Macku

Tamaru - And Gun Video

Taipu

Kopeke

So after finishing up Project Reignition (my reimagining of 2006 with Matoran, topic is a bit old and broken), I decided to rebuild the Chronicler's Co. in the same form. It's small, fairly posable, orthodox, and just the right complexity for set design. Lego even had a lot of the parts I needed in the right colors. Still, some (*cough*Tamaru*cough*) suffered from lack of pieces in the right colors, but I did my best. If you want more information, check out the gallery with more pictures and information. I was planning on writing an epic featuring these guys (another reason to rebuild them), and their individual pictures have more information on that if you are interested.

And just for fun, here's a little tablescrap I built this morning (now with fingers!)

Also, check out my other latest MOC, Krika

Feel free to comment, critique, rip apart, praise, adore, worship, and most importantly, enjoy!

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 14

Now this is a great little Matoran design, Onuku! It has lots of poseability in the arms and legs, and also provides a set of proportions very reminiscent of the Matoran from the Bionicle movies, which is nice. :)

As for Takua and company, they are all very cute. I have to say that I like the use of the Toa Metru chestplate on most of the team versus the Throwbot shoulder on Tamaru and Macku. It seems oddly bulky on Macku, but at least on Tamaru it is partly covered by his mask (plus it gives him some more teal, his quintessential color). Speaking of which, the colors are all very MNOLG-accurate, too.

The highlights of this group, in my opinion, are their weapons. Takua's pearl gold Chronicler staff is certainly spiffy, but why does Macku have a hockey stick instead of a Kolhii stick? :P Hafu's hammer is pretty basic, but on the other hand, Kopeke has a transparent orange chainsaw! Well played, sir. As for the others, Taipu's weapon vastly improves upon Toa Onewa's proto-piton, and Tamaru's gun looks pretty sweet, while improbably holding onto a ton of those lime Exo-Force ammo pieces. I'm looking forward to seeing the video of them being fired.

Lastly, Kapura's swords are ingenious combination, the icing on the cake for an awesome and adorable set of Matoran. It's too bad that you can't give them fingers like the Fire Drone.

~B~

Now this is a great little Matoran design, Onuku! It has lots of poseability in the arms and legs, and also provides a set of proportions very reminiscent of the Matoran from the Bionicle movies, which is nice. :)

As for Takua and company, they are all very cute. I have to say that I like the use of the Toa Metru chestplate on most of the team versus the Throwbot shoulder on Tamaru and Macku. It seems oddly bulky on Macku, but at least on Tamaru it is partly covered by his mask (plus it gives him some more teal, his quintessential color). Speaking of which, the colors are all very MNOLG-accurate, too.

The highlights of this group, in my opinion, are their weapons. Takua's pearl gold Chronicler staff is certainly spiffy, but why does Macku have a hockey stick instead of a Kolhii stick? :P Hafu's hammer is pretty basic, but on the other hand, Kopeke has a transparent orange chainsaw! Well played, sir. As for the others, Taipu's weapon vastly improves upon Toa Onewa's proto-piton, and Tamaru's gun looks pretty sweet, while improbably holding onto a ton of those lime Exo-Force ammo pieces. I'm looking forward to seeing the video of them being fired.

Lastly, Kapura's swords are ingenious combination, the icing on the cake for an awesome and adorable set of Matoran. It's too bad that you can't give them fingers like the Fire Drone.

~B~

Thank you! It took me a while to find this design, and I'm quite proud of the result.

For Tamaru and Macku, I preferred to make their colors consistent with MNOLG rather than body designs that were consistent with the others. It's not a bad solution, but definitely could be better (if only there were more Teal parts!).

I figured that in the new world I have planned for these guys, they need weapons. I guess I forgot Macku was on the Kohlii team, and I already gave a Kohlii stick to my Hewkii design. The paddle is just such a cool weapon. The hammer seemed like the best fit for Hafu (though it's backwards, so it's actually a chisel :P). After BrickSlopes, where Flickr user Hugebricks had some amazing Ice Planet creations, I've been dying to use that chainsaw. Kopeke is an ice carver, so I figured it fit. I'm glad you like the pick. I thought it was clever. :)

Yeah, even if I could figure out a way for those hands to attach to some weapons, I don't have enough joint extenders. Any other hand design would look too bulky on these little guys. The swords have been around for a while (here's a shot with them from 2012), I just keep getting parts to get more because they look so great. If I ever get around to building a Toa Kapura, he'll have those swords on top of a halberd or something. It would look awesome.

I love the design, it's nice and simple, but seems to offer a good amount of poseability, especially in the arms.

But I think we can all agree here that it real highlight is Tamaru's gun. That thing looks amazing and I'm looking forward to a video of it in action!

I hope you enjoy the video.

Thanks guys!

Great Job do you have instructions?

Not yet, but I bet you can figure it out from these two images of Matoro. Maybe I'll make some nice instructions at some point. They're fairly easy and designed to look like a set anyways.

Nobody doesn't not love the chroniclers company. The metru chestplate is pretty sick, and they reminded me if the mask of light movie. I have to agree that some of the weapons are cool and some are just like "where did he find that hockey stick?" Other than that bravo I like it

The Chronicler's Company, ah, what a fantastic-looking group! Awesome, awesome job, Click, they look great. I'd love to get my hands on them, but I suppose pictures will have to do.

Takua's design is especially eye-catching. I'm loving the color scheme in his design, and in all of the matoran. 

Wish I had even half the pieces required to build these...great job securing the pieces you needed! 

Happily worshiping you, 

~LH

pWRJY.jpg
Credit goes to Biomech for the almost 20-year-old avatar!

so. freaking. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

I love the homage to MNOLG with Tamaru's kanoka gun.

You really have a gift for designing simple, elegantly conceived MOCs. Keep up the good work!

Whatever mountain you are climbing, you can do this.

BZPRPG character masterpost

20220406_234727.jpg

"Just promise me something... don't let me go."

Wow, featured. Didn't expect that for something so simple, but I'm glad you guys like it! Thank you everyone!

Nobody doesn't not love the chroniclers company. The metru chestplate is pretty sick, and they reminded me if the mask of light movie. I have to agree that some of the weapons are cool and some are just like "where did he find that hockey stick?" Other than that bravo I like it

Let's see...nobody doesn't...everyone does not love the Chronicler's Company? Thank you!

The Chronicler's Company, ah, what a fantastic-looking group! Awesome, awesome job, Click, they look great. I'd love to get my hands on them, but I suppose pictures will have to do.

Takua's design is especially eye-catching. I'm loving the color scheme in his design, and in all of the matoran. 

Wish I had even half the pieces required to build these...great job securing the pieces you needed! 

Happily worshiping you, 

~LH

Just took a lot of Bricklink orders. Thanks!

so. freaking. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

I love the homage to MNOLG with Tamaru's kanoka gun.

You really have a gift for designing simple, elegantly conceived MOCs. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! I'll try!

I've been waiting for this  :crying:

They all look amazing, Click. Tamaru's actually my favorite Matoran! It's awesome to see these six guys in a group.

I'm also thoroughly impressed by Tamaru's gun. My favorite part, though, is that they're all simple and uniform. It's fantastic. Good job!

Thanks! I hope you saw the video of it working.

Er, Kopeke wears a Komau, I think, not a Matatu. 

Other than that, looks good. :)

Thanks! I meant to capture these guys after Spherus Magna, and in 2002, Kopeke got a grey Matatu in honor of Turaga Nuju when his Komau broke.

WOW! I love the simple, set worthy design on these guys! They are all so small and accurate! I think the alternate chest piece looks a little weird on Tamaru, but on Macku it could be passed off as breasts or something? Although i definitely can't blame you for the lack of teal, besides that amazing gun makes up for it! If you do in fact make to a versions of these guys, I can't way to see them! Great job!

VV PM me if you have any of these masks! VV

6lyjLOL.png

Seeing the Chronicler's Company is awesome but the MOCs looks bad, the body and legs are not that good, mostly Macku and Tamaru body, the other are okay but still not good but I do like the idea of using the Vahki Waist. The arms are meh but Takua and Kapura would be better with the short HF bone piece, the feet are good don't have anything much to say.

The weapons are great like Taipo odd pickaxe and Takua Chronicler's staff but with Tamaru gun is really odd in my opinion.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

WOW! I love the simple, set worthy design on these guys! They are all so small and accurate! I think the alternate chest piece looks a little weird on Tamaru, but on Macku it could be passed off as breasts or something? Although i definitely can't blame you for the lack of teal, besides that amazing gun makes up for it! If you do in fact make to a versions of these guys, I can't way to see them! Great job!

Thanks! That was the idea with the chestplate, but then I realized I didn't have a better option for Tamaru that would have the right colors. I'm glad you like the gun.

Seeing the Chronicler's Company is awesome but the MOCs looks bad, the body and legs are not that good, mostly Macku and Tamaru body, the other are okay but still not good but I do like the idea of using the Vahki Waist. The arms are meh but Takua and Kapura would be better with the short HF bone piece, the feet are good don't have anything much to say.

The weapons are great like Taipo odd pickaxe and Takua Chronicler's staff but with Tamaru gun is really odd in my opinion.

These are designed to be set quality: small, basic, and posable. You are free to attempt your own MOCs this size that look better, but this is my attempt.

Tamaru's gun may look bulky and large, but it actually works with ten (maybe even twelve) shots. You should see the video.

It's nice to see I haven't completely sold everyone though. It's good to get some constructive criticism.

A very nice effort, but a few things are putting me off. Kapura has his later mask, though I can excuse Kopeke. Second, Maku and Tamaru's chest are just strange. Finally, Takua's feet arnt yellow.

"Poor Cyclonus - Sworn To Reject A World That Hates and Fears Him. He And I Are Very Similar, Really: Two Reformed Characters Struggling To Make Our Way In Life. He Just Has Less Violent Coping Strategies." Whirl

My BZPRPG Characters

Excellent redesign/re-imagining of the Chronicler's company! I hadn't thought of those characters for years but it took me back to the good old days of playing the MNOLG. Good ol' Hafu haha! Have always had a soft sport in my heart for the quirky residents of Po-Koro. You made good choices for weapons, and while the variation in the torsos across the Matoran kind of throws me off, it's more natural in a way given the modifications that they can perform on themselves. Also... Tamaru's gun. I LOVED that part of the game knocking the Nui-Rama out of the sky. Great callbacks. Well done man.

A very nice effort, but a few things are putting me off. Kapura has his later mask, though I can excuse Kopeke. Second, Maku and Tamaru's chest are just strange. Finally, Takua's feet arnt yellow.

These MOCs are based post-Reunification, so Kapura would have his Ruru and Kopeke would have his Matatu. I would use another piece for Macku and Tamaru's chests, but there aren't many pieces that would look as nice in the right colors. These pieces allow me to keep their color distribution (as per my original goal) rather than the best aesthetics possible. Takua actually turned his yellow bits blue post 2003, but I left them light blue to keep a consistent color scheme. Thanks!

Excellent redesign/re-imagining of the Chronicler's company! I hadn't thought of those characters for years but it took me back to the good old days of playing the MNOLG. Good ol' Hafu haha! Have always had a soft sport in my heart for the quirky residents of Po-Koro. You made good choices for weapons, and while the variation in the torsos across the Matoran kind of throws me off, it's more natural in a way given the modifications that they can perform on themselves. Also... Tamaru's gun. I LOVED that part of the game knocking the Nui-Rama out of the sky. Great callbacks. Well done man.

Yeah, I love MNOLG and all those quirky characters, with these guys being some of the quirkiest. It's great for me too seeing the team back together on my dresser. :P The gun took a bit of practice to get right, but I think it turned out great. I hope someone actually does a Kahu revamp with something similar.

Tamaru's gun blew my mind! They all have quite flashy-looking weapons, like they found them on Metru Nui (apart from Hafu). Isn't that a laser gun in Kopeke's hand? You did a great job at making them just varied enough and overall it just looks accomplished. I would love to see some more creative group shots!

banner1.png

It's so simple yet verry well done!

Thank you! That was the intention!

Tamaru's gun blew my mind! They all have quite flashy-looking weapons, like they found them on Metru Nui (apart from Hafu). Isn't that a laser gun in Kopeke's hand? You did a great job at making them just varied enough and overall it just looks accomplished. I would love to see some more creative group shots!

Thanks, I'm proud of the weapons. Kopeke actually has a Trans-Neon Orange Heat Saw from the Ice Planet sets, just because TNO Chainsaws are awesome. The only other group shot I did was my Brickfair crew shot including them and the other MOCs I sent off to Virginia. Maybe I'll throw together some (if only I had more Rahi...)

Hafu's pose in the picture makes him look extra smug - suits him perfectly. :P Great reconstructions also! :)

I'm glad you like it. I tried to make the poses fit the characters.

That Tamaru gun is awesome! :D

Thanks, it took a lot of hard work.

That Tamaru gun is just awesome! Hopefully you can have better luck shooting those Nui-Rama out of the sky while riding on a Kahu than I do! They remind me of one of my smallest mocs, but without a Hapori Tohu-esque head.

Thanks, but probably not. I fail at that part of MNOLG. :P I'm not surprised I'm not the only one to come up with this kind of build. It would be fun to see more of these guys though.