bionicle vs avatar who will win?

Well, Toa can generate their own elements and would run out much slower than a bender. The advantage the benders would have is they are used to manipulating already existing elements, i.e.  bending a Toa's attacks away or even back at them. Seems to me that it would come down to endurance and skill level, so my money is on the Toa (since they are biomechanical and therefore stronger than humans).

Oh, also Toa have natural resistance to their elements that the humans wouldn't have. Tahu could stand a fire blast longer than Zuko, Gali could stand being blasted with a continuous stream of water longer than Katara, etc. Seems like eventually the combination of exhaustion and constant battering would break a flesh-and-bone bender faster than a metal-and-protodermis Toa.

Edited by Click
  • Upvote 4

*cracks knuckles* Lemme take a swing at this

Tahu vs Zuko: A lot of variables here.  Which Tahu are we talking about—Mata, Nuva, Adaptive Armor, Golden Armor?  And what stage is Zuko at in his development—he becomes significantly more skilled once he gets his inner thought stuff aligned, and we still don’t know exactly what new stuff he may have learned by the time of his appearance in Legend of Korra.  Regardless, Tahu is resistant to fire, and since we’ve yet to see Zuko successfully bend lightning, Zuko’s only options are Not Very Effective fire attacks and sword attacks (which might not do a whole lot against protodermis armor—less still against Toa Nuva armor, and even les againt the protosteel that makes up Adaptive Armor).  Plus, if Tahu has access to a well-stocked Suva, he has a huge advantage in variability.

Nikila vs Azula: Hm, interesting.  We don’t know a whole lot about Nikila, but she should have an advantage in speed, given the fact that Azula needs to prepare her energy before using lightning attacks.  And again, Nikila resists her own Element, so Azula’s lightning wouldn’t be very effective.  But Azula would probably figure this out.  We know she’s great at dodging, so Nikila might have a hard time landing a hit, and her firebending will have full effectiveness (and considering that’s blue fire she’s throwing, that’s pretty darn effective).  This could be more a battle of wits, but it’s worth noting that Nikila was the tactical leader of her team, so I’m sure she could match wits with Azula.  I’d say the deciding factor would be Kanohi.  The Mask of Possibilities is a tricky one, so I can’t say for sure what usage it might have without knowing what battlefield we’re playing on, but it would definitely give her an edge.  Also: lightning cage.

Makuta Teridax vs The Dark Avatar: Well, the Dark Avatar’s only real ability is powerful waterbending, and Teridax has 42 powers and a superior intellect.  Not to mention, even if DA could somehow slice open the multiple layers of protosteel that make up Makuta armor, I’m not sure how he could destroy Teridax’s antidermis.  Surround it in a sphere of boiling water?  Maybe use that weird spirit-magic-waterbending to dissipate it?  Either of those would take time.  Teridax would see the opening and strike him down in a flash.

• Upvote 1

Toph and Lin Beifong (metal benders) vs all life in the MU. They can just bend them and crush their organs :)

Their bending only works on impure metals with traces of natural rock in them. Even if the metallic components of MU inhabitants aren't pure metal and contain traces of rocks, I don't think their bending would work on protodermis "stone." Protodermis is a completely different substance from what normal stones are made of. 

Also: lightning cage.

That's another good point. Toa are a lot better at shaping their element. Benders generally fire off their elements (especially Firebenders) without much control besides aim. There's another advantage for the Toa.

Just going to point out that not all matchups would be even in this scenario, given the different treatment of elements in Avatar and Bionicle. In a matchup between a Toa of water and a waterbender, the Toa wouldn't necessarily be able to absorb the waterbender's attacks, since waterbenders could freeze the water into ice, which is outside the influence of Toa of water. Meanwhile, a firebender would have a similar advantage—while they couldn't turn the attacks of a Toa of fire against them, they could still redirect them while attacking with lightning that the Toa couldn't absorb. Earthbenders would be able to control earth, stone, and in some cases, metal, while in Bionicle those powers would be divided among three different types of Toa. Airbenders would really only be the ones without a natural advantage, since they have no real attacks that couldn't be absorbed by a corresponding Toa (they could conceivably use spiritual skills like Jinora's astral projection, but neither Avatar nor Korra has demonstrated those sorts of skills having any sort of combat utility). And while Waterbenders and some Firebenders and Earthbenders would have clear advantages over Toa in terms of their skillsets, none of that takes the comparative physiology of Toa vs. humans into account, since there's not any clear way to gauge how great that difference is (and both series have a tendency to waver on just how much injury is survivable).

I think the distinction between protodermic stone, water or earth and the actual elements is less important, since those elements in Bionicle have generally been shown to have more or less the same properties whether they're composed of protodermis or not. If a Toa of water can control both protodermic water and actual water, there's no reason to assume a waterbender couldn't do the same. The distinction between protodermic metal and other metal, however, is valid seeing as so far Avatar has made it clear that metalbenders can only bend forged metal that contains impurities, not purer metal like the armor of Toa can be assumed to be composed of.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I believe it would just depend on who was fighting who. It would also depend on how skilled each Toa and Bender is with their powers. On an even battlefield with both a Toa and Bender equal in their control of their elements, I'd say the Toa would most likely win. But if the Toa was a novice and the Bender a master with their element, the Bender would most likely win. 

Where the battle takes place would also factor into it. For example, a Toa of Water and Water Bender would both have advantages in a match that took place in a ocean. But a Toa of Fire and Fire Bender would have problems in that same environment. Though the Toa of Fire could still use his powers somewhat (both Vakama and Jaller have been shown to use them underwater in-story) and Fire Benders, if they couldn't use their fire in that environment, could just use electric attacks instead. 

And then there is how the battle gets started. It wouldn't matter if a Toa or Bender could easily beat the other if one of them gets ambushed by the other and taken out before they have time to react.

Overall, I know I probably put a little too much thought into the question asked. But I can't answer a question like this without considering all these different variables. But like I said, even a level battlefield with a Toa and Bender of equal skill battling, my vote would be for the Toa. (Unless the Bender was a Metal Bender, then the Toa would most likely die. :P

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

^ This is why Greg always refused to answer those "Who would win in a fight, X or Y?" questions, because there are too many potential variables. Any matchup could go a number of different ways, depending on a myriad of different factors. The atmosphere, the arena, the tactics, heck, even how balanced the bender's diet had been in the past few days. (What, you think nutrition isn't important to a martial arts-based style of combat? Think again.)

It's very interesting to contrast the elemental abilities of Toa and benders, but ultimately, you can never say definitively who would win.

Edited by Yaldabaoth
  • Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Toa have weapons. Benders can have weapons, but they can't have launchers. Toa are made out of Protodermis. Benders are made out of purely organic tissue. Toa are able to generate their own elements. Only fire benders can do that (air benders don't generate their own elements; the air is already there), and even then it's not necessarily generated. And Toa have mask powers. Benders have nothing equal to that on any level. I think that Toa would win.    

• Upvote 1

Yay! Fonts!!

Also interesting thought on how long someone can hold their breath... a toa of water could maybe survive underwater while Katara might not... or Gali who the question doesn't even come up haha so surviving being in the element itself would be another fact to consider, Toa being somewhat environmentally resistant to their respective elements.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5