How did the Spherus Magnans try to tap into the power of Energized Pro

I was under the impression we weren't given details. Would be nice to know, though. All I know is the GBs did an experiment pictured in, I think, one of the graphic novels, that did the same thing earlier, so they knew what was coming once somebody would do it with the EP in the core (an explosion), rather than a tiny sample. It involved a drop of EP falling on a table. Think it's on BS01 somewhere, yeah?

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

All we know for sure now is the Fire Tribe captured the EP spring, and whatever they did to it caused Spherus Magna to asplode, but EP had already been causing damge to the planet before that.

vartempsig.png

"Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Bob Dylan

i always thought the fire guys lit it on fire to see what happend then BOOM!

That is, in all likelihood, exactly what didn't happen... but it's a hilarious mental image. :D

Anyway, yes, BS01 has a page, but the graphic novel never detailed the scientific processes the GBs used. As we all know, while Greg appreciated science, he never purported to have any idea of how it works. :P

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/File:AOSR_Energized_Protodermis_Testing.png <there's the testing image, bones...

i always thought the fire guys lit it on fire to see what happend then BOOM!

That is, in all likelihood, exactly what didn't happen... but it's a hilarious mental image. :D

Anyway, yes, BS01 has a page, but the graphic novel never detailed the scientific processes the GBs used. As we all know, while Greg appreciated science, he never purported to have any idea of how it works. :P

Actually, at the risk of answering my own question (do I do that? never :P) I have evidence that they did: 

Energized Protodermis is also explosive, something Vakama took advantage of to render Sentrakh unconscious during the Battle for the Kanohi Vahi.

Shattering = Explosion.  

The Fire Tribe, in an effort to claim the power of the Energized Protodermis, managed to break into the Ice Tribe's well, and began siphoning off the substance from its spring. A chain reaction began in the core of the planet and eventually it caused the planet to shatter into three pieces.

Clear as mud.

But based on these two facts, I thought they tried to burn it, and use that to run a steam turbine or something. :shrugs: But if that's the case, why would the Great Beings put both EP and Toa of Fire in the same universe, given that a careless Toa of Fire could blow the entire universe apart? 

Also, not clear why that one experiment would tell them that the stuff would blow, or why SM people would think burning it would be a good idea. 

EP can also be used to stabilize power sources for huge things like giant robots, but that doesn't cause explosions, as far as we know. :shrugs:

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the EP was in some sort of equilibrium with the planet's core, which may be a super-hot core like ours (but you never know), and the siphoning of the Fire Tribe caused too much EP to drain too quickly, upsetting the equilibrium? Orrrrr, maybe they started siphoning it off and began to try to use its mutative properties on persons and object, attracting the attention of the EP creature within, the awakening of the creature causing the destabilization?

Just spitballing at this point.

• Upvote 2

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

Uh, witchcraft. Duh. How else would you harness the power of some supernatural force?

But in all seriousness, it was probably just some fictional scientific procedure that wouldn't make any sense to us Earthlings, and was something Greg probably didn't think about all that hard.

Spherus Magna, by real-life standards, is an impossibly large planet.  The planet would collapse under it's own weight.

Energized Protodermis does not follow real life physics, and has strange, destiny-based transforming powers.  (it does whatever Greg wants it to do)  It has been shown stabilizing the Mata Nui robot's power source by "continuously transforming it".

I always assumed that the Agori and Glatorian were simply mining the stuff in a processes similar to how we drill for oil and that when they removed enough of it, it stopped "transforming" the planet's core, causing the planet to explode.

Does it make any scientific sense? No.
Does it make sense in Bionicle Physics? Yes.

• Upvote 1