Exo-Toa Theory

I've already mentioned this theory in this topic when we were discussing head-canon, and I have a theory about Exo-Toa, and it struck me as maybe it might not be just head-canon and whether it could actually be a possibility. Anywhooo here goes:

We know the story of the Exo-Toa, how the Mata used the suits of armor to battle the Bahrag queens but the suits hampered the Toa's energies and so the Toa eventually discarded them and defeated the twins using their powers. It made me wonder, what was the use of making a machine that hampered severely a Toa's natural abilities if only to boost their strength and so forth? So I came up with the theory: What if Exo-Toa are powered by a Toa's elemental powers? Since all their energies are being "absorbed" by the machine, it makes sense why the Toa is unable to use it in battle. And in exchange for the "power boost" the suit of armor grants the Toa extreme strength and other abilities (not to mention use of the special weapons the armor has). Now Exo-Toa are able to function without a Toa rider, but I think the lack of a constant charge of energy makes them somewhat weaker in battle, (like when they were battling the Kal, sure the Kal had them overpowered, but the Exo-Toa went down pretty easily) So basically an Exo-Toa with a rider would be much more powerful than without one. But they're still useful considering they make up a bit of the Brotherhood's army.

So, let me know what you guys think. :)

• Upvote 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I think it's a valid theory. Another possibility is that the Exo-Toa cannot withstand and channel a Toa's powers, and thus suppresses it to keep from "self destructing."

• Upvote 1
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

It made me wonder, what was the use of making a machine that hampered severely a Toa's natural abilities if only to boost their strength and so forth?

I've got a simple theory to this coming up in my retelling that I don't mind spoiling, but it's more about the motivation for designing it that way and isn't really mutually exclusive with your theory:

"Perhaps we should consider modifying the design of those robotic suits," Teridax added. "They should be able to walk on their own power. Why not include an automated mode, which would respond to our orders and function like a robot?"

Mutran seemed to consider. "Perhaps. But I recommend we keep the name. Exo-Toa implies we are making them to help out the Toa. It's better politics."

"True."

(Note that the Nynrah Ghosts actually made the Exo-Toa, but on order of the Makuta, so the Makuta could have specified design details.)

I did have another theory for why they were placed near the Bahrag's chamber, though, that wouldn't work with your theory:

The room we'd just come from had originally just been a nest, but had been modified by the Brotherhood so that the nest feature was mainly a cover for the Exo-Toa storage. In the event of some kind of threat to the Bahrag, six Toa could be dispatched to that room.

[...]

And the Exo-Toa's secret side effect was taking a toll -- the Toa's powers were weakened. The Exo-Toa were meant, in this safeguard, only for physical protection, on the assumption that any Toa who made it to the Bahrag's chamber might be drained of elemental energy by the time they arrived, fighting past various obstacles.

My thinking was that just like a Toa Tool channels elemental power, the material of the Exo-Toa armor may simply dampen it as a necessary side effect.

Either way, it would make sense that this would be part of the trickery idea of the Makuta -- name them as if they're meant to help Toa, but have them be much more useful in automated mode so eventually most Toa give up on using them, so the Makuta end up with a robotic army and nobody realizes that was the goal in the first place.

Now Exo-Toa are able to function without a Toa rider, but I think the lack of a constant charge of energy makes them somewhat weaker in battle, (like when they were battling the Kal, sure the Kal had them overpowered, but the Exo-Toa went down pretty easily)

Well, thinking about that, it would be more advantageous not to design it that way, if the intent all along was to have an autonomous robot army. On the other hand, it's always possible it's both ideas -- that it naturally dampens elemental power because it will use any energy that passes through it for an extra boost of power? (That would make sense as it would then be more effective against energy-based attacks.)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Honestly I thought of that too, what if the Brotherhood had planned it all along. Though, with the name like Exo-Toa, it's like like an exoskeleton, it's meant for something to be inside and it act like armor... so something about it is comparable with the Toa, even if it does damper the powers significantly. I do like the point you made that no matter what energy goes through it (outside or into) it will dampen, kinda like a protection ability as well... being a suit of armor it makes sense that it's main purpose would be defense not necessarily attack. Though that theory works with the Kal as well, they used gravity, electricity and sonics and magnetism, all of which metal is very susceptible to.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Maybe they used the Exo-Toa as a way to try to control the toa? Put them in battle with the armor, makes them stronger but they can't control their elemental powers anymore, makes them weaker in one aspect, easier to deal with. Idk. I always liked the Exo-Toa idea and kinda wish they had brought a new re-vamped version for later Toa or something, maybe a line of Ex-Toa where they could still use their powers. 

but they can't control their elemental powers anymore... maybe a line of Ex-Toa where they could still use their powers.

Just to be clear, they "severely restrict" (BS01's wording) elements, not block them entirely. But the rest of your post still works, so yeah.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)