BZP Mafia Discussion

Voltex

How about a side game in which all the players are ignorant of their roles and everyone picks a target at night? It would be interesting to see a game of Mafia without the normal certainty of personal innocence or guilt.

Obviously, said game would have no Detective role.

This would be incredibly fun, actually. Only know what you do come each night...

Who kills in the mafia would have to be determined by RNG or something however.

• Upvote 2

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Why would RNG be needed? If every player chooses a target, the kills will be determined by the targets of players who are part of the Mafia. The trick would be figuring out, in the event that your target is killed, whether or not you were the one who killed him.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Why would RNG be needed? If every player chooses a target, the kills will be determined by the targets of players who are part of the Mafia. The trick would be figuring out, in the event that your target is killed, whether or not you were the one who killed him.

Unless the Mafia consists of 1 member, that would be...well, normal mafia size is around 4-6 players. So that would be 4-6 players dead each night, which is...not good for the village at all.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Unless the Mafia consists of 1 member, that would be...well, normal mafia size is around 4-6 players. So that would be 4-6 players dead each night, which is...not good for the village at all.

I see now. I misunderstood you as saying "the Mafias' targets would have to be determined by RNG."

I like your idea. It would definitely increase the element of obfuscation.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

@QP: That sounds like a fun game, though probably a side game, I dunno

@Voltex: Sounds really good.

I have some ideas for Bionicle Mafia L, and felt like sharing them:

Village: (39)
Members (33)
Sumiki, Sisen, Zeddy: Medic (3)
Gatanui: Detective (2)
Mole: Bfahome (1)

Anti-Village: (10)
Admins: (Black Six, Binkmeister, Kaiapu, Tufi Piyufi) Serve the boss. Go after Globals
Globals: (Velox, Than the Moa, Watashi Wa) - Serve the Admins. Go first.
Big bad: (Dimensioneer)
Mole: (Makaru)
Last Mafian: (-Windrider-) - Goes after all the Globals

Twist: (Hacker) Takes down bzpower and switches roles. Random event only triggered after other twist

Other Twist: Makuta Luroka (Player) - Is in Mafia PM, acts as mafia, but is aligned with the village. Learns one Mafia role per every two nights. When voted for lynching, is instead converted to the village, and his findings are published

50 roles

Credit to mairanui for original idea
  • Upvote 2

bBhcfWO.png

I see now. I misunderstood you as saying "the Mafias' targets would have to be determined by RNG."

I like your idea. It would definitely increase the element of obfuscation.

Oh

I am the worst at wording,

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Members (33)

Admins: (Black Six, Binkmeister, Kaiapu, Tufi Piyufi) Serve the boss. Go after Globals

Twist: (Hacker) Takes down bzpower and switches roles. Random event only triggered after other twist

Other Twist: Makuta Luroka (Player) - Is in Mafia PM, acts as mafia, but is aligned with the village. Learns one Mafia role per every two nights. When voted for lynching, is instead converted to the village, and his findings are published

50 roles

The last time someone tried an obscene number of roles, it killed the Second Age.

Other than that it looks like a pretty cool idea.

• Upvote 2

Members (33)

50 roles

Wayyyyyyyyy too many players. Cut that down to 35 and maybe it'll get filled. Maybe.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1

So I was thinking about which Mafia games I've enjoyed the most, and came up with a top five games that I've most enjoyed. I'll share it here, since I was also wondering which games everyone else enjoyed the most?

My Top Five

1. Bionicle Mafia II: Electric Boogaloo - There are many reasons why this is my favorite game. For starters, it employed the classic role setup: Detective, Medic, 4 Mafia, and the Villagers. This setup has proven time and time again that it works, and that it works well, and this is so far the last game to have employed this setup of roles. I also really liked the twist of the game; instead of providing us with a suspect list each day, Portalfig provided us with a list of three to five players who were not guilty for the previous night. This meant that we had to use more strategy to discover the Mafia, and the game became more intense as a result; plus, anyone could be on these lists any number of times, including Mafia. And then, of course, there was the fact that Lloyd (the Medic) and I (the Detective) found each other Round 1, and spent the game working closely to protect each other and hunt down the Mafia. In the end we organized a team of I believe 5 villagers (plus ourselves), essentially becoming a day time Village Mafia group; all in all, it's still the best Mafia game I've ever played here.

2. Bionicle Mafia XVI: Gallows and Gambits - For a long time, nothing has even come close to Electric Boogaloo for me. Even when Dapper posted this game and I signed up, I looked at it and thought “this game is way too complicated to work out”. But the game turned out magnificently; Toa K’s master plan for the Shadows, my behind-the-scenes work as the King (not to mention hinting at my role in-topic throughout the game), and the few alliances I made along the way made for a very fun game. While this is a game that I think is less likely to be a favorite than Electric Boogaloo, I loved it because it allowed me to experience Mafia in a way that I never had before; and besides, engineering the endgame so that the Shadows caused their own downfall was quite fun as well. I love getting to stretch my manipulation muscles in Mafia, and being the King was the perfect role to do so.

3. Bionicle Mafia: Tournament of Champions - I don’t mean to have a running theme of “I survive” here, but Tournament of Champions was honestly a lot of fun. From deliberately causing myself to lose in a duel to allying myself with MoC early on in the game (who was, in turn, allied to Mesonak), I actually guaranteed my survival and got to help cause an awesome ending. It helped that all of my other alliances were killed off in various ways without my interference along the way. For a game where I had literally zero freedom in what I did, I still had loads of fun, which I think is saying a lot.

4. Bionicle Mafia V: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor - A game with two Mafia groups, where the Brotherhood (my group; I was Makuta) was essentially forced into an alliance with the Dark Hunters. Well, I made sure to never actually say that I was okay with the alliance… that way, I wasn’t actually betraying it. You see, I allied myself with the Villager and manipulated the next few rounds to cause the deaths of every single Dark Hunter (along with the one Village role that could ruin everything). When it was done, I had one Rahkshi, my mole, and myself left standing against the Village; our defeat was inevitable, but I was fine with that. I just wanted to see how much longer I could last. It’s a shame that the game never actually finished.

5. Bionicle Mafia XII: Dead Sea - This one was close; it was either this or Bionicle Mafia XIII: Tower of Trepidation. But I went with this one simply because I loved, loved, LOVED the twist; that each night almost all of the roles would be reassigned. During Bionicle Mafia IX Xaeraz asked me what I thought of the twist, so I had been anticipating it for awhile; he gave me a role that made me immune to the twist but gave me a very interesting ability, which I put to good use before I was executed by Shadowhawk. Unfortunately, this game also did not finish, although it was, I believe, only a round away from ending. This game was awesome.

I really am honored as well. That reminds me- this November I should really finish writing Mafia II: Electric Boogaloo HD. It's only been a year or so. Maybe I can finish it in time for it's two year anniversary! (holy carp is that right i feel so so so old now) ((holllllyyyy carp it is))

After dinner I will work on a top 5 for myself. While I am at it, I will do a little write up of all the games I've had a hand in hosting. *shrug* Might as well.

Alright, here we go. Going in reverse order, numbers five through two, honorable mentions, and then my absolute favorite. Let’s do this.

5: Bionicle Mafia 5(or something like that? Unfortunately it is lost =()

This is a weird one, but one that I feel influenced the entirety of my time playing mafia. And I didn’t even participate in it! You see, before I had played a single game I went back and read through every single main mafia game up until that point. There were already 33. But while reading through them all, one in particular stood out to me.

That was this game, whichever one it was. It was early on in mafia, and was the creation of the Black Mask: a villager aligned serial killer who was super OP. The main thing, though, was the entire game was very cinematic, especially at the end. It really left an impression on me, to the point that I PMed Lloyd about hosting a game later that included this role. In many ways, I see this game as the reason why I started playing Mafia. As such, it has a special place in my heart even though I haven’t been able to recall what number it even was.

4: Bionicle Mafia 2.5: The Big City

To be frank, I remember when signups for this game were starting and I was so so so pumped. This game was unprecedented in scale. Forty one players in total participated in this game - a crazy high number.

I don’t remember much about the rest of this game, other than the super long wait times towards the end as activity, and the active players, died. Of course a game with this many people ended like it did, with topic death. I still remember the sense of awe I had looking at the player slots though, and it is something that I don’t think I will forget anytime soon.

3: Bionicle Mafia V: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor

This game though. This game though.

Man. Talking about a sense of awe makes this game instantly come into mind as well. I mean, this was the first inclusion of two competing mafia groups: and Lloyd’s first post made this a reality in just a few lines!. Four sentences in character, eight out of character, and then the stage was set. The epic game of (metaphorical) chess was going to begin and it was going to be epic.

And epic it was. You already heard Iborw’s standpoint, but I was on the other side. I was the detective that he created the Villager alliance with in the first place. Take that, and the fact that I had a reliable speaker in Sumiki, the other Detective who was killed the first night, and we were in a pretty good spot. I would tell Sumiki who we needed to lynch, he would relay it to the villagers, and it would be done.

At first Iborw told me that he was the Makuta himself, and I was pretty pumped that these two roles who would normally be at each other’s throats would be (for legitimate reasons) on the same side. After the Dark Hunters were all killed, he tried to back out of being the Makuta and said that he was a “villager who was roped into acting like the Makuta”. I investigated him, and he turned out innocent. Unfortunately, the next round never came and I couldn’t have killed him out of spite.

Turns out he was the Makuta, though, so that would have been nice.

2: Bionicle Mafia XIII: Tower of Trepidation

Quite frankly, the MESP itself put this on the list, and that isn’t even including the numerous other things that made this game utterly fantastic. So, I will just include the many things that was the best about this game.

i: Sending Vox to Space was, quite frankly, my favorite single moment in any mafia game ever. I was glued to my keyboard during those last few hours. The fact that we succeeded in doing it was just priceless.

Plus, let’s not forget how absolutely amazing this was. http://www.majhost.com/gallery/lewajohnson/RANDOM/the_end_of_voxumo.gif

ii: I had the coolest role ever. Being the Forger and messing with the votes like that was so much fun haha

iii: I will just put all of these under one title, but MT’s superb hosting. From the hilarious scenes, to his deft handling of a difficult betrayal...

yeah it was pretty great and do I even need to explain more?

Honorable Mentions: These are games that I found I couldn’t put on the list, but had something that I felt needed to be mentioned one way or another.

Honorable Mention: Bionicle Mafia VII: Frozen Wasteland

This game might not have been everyone’s favorite, but one thing I will say. The hangman game for TK’s life is probably right underneath SPACCEEE for my favorite single moment in a Mafia Game. To be honest, I kinda hate that we haven’t really used events like that before or since. I really think they could add a lot to a game. Maybe a role that can only kill by creating a puzzle the recipient has to solve in a time limit or else they don’t die? A role that creating mini-games for the rest of the players to solve or else bad things happen? Something else entirely?

1: Bionicle Mafia 2.4: What Once Was

To be honest, this is the only game I knew was going here when I started writing this. While I did participate in this one, I only really found out how much I enjoyed it when I went back through and reviewed it. This game is pretty much the closest I would say we’ve come to a perfect Mafia game, intellect-wise at least.

The thing is, we had an outside information source, we had people checking ballistics on the bullets used to kill somebody to incriminate the killer, and just urg. Every time I read through this game it makes me want to be a better player, and a better host, and everything.

Like, just go read through this game. Here, I’ll even give you the link.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/3389-bionicle-mafia-24-what-once-was/

(also I totally forgot about this but I provided some of the roles for this game. This is the one where I told Lloyd about the Black Mask role. Huh. That makes it even better lol)

So, yeah. My top five plus an honorable mention. As well, now I have a few more other games I want to look at more closely and talk about at a later date. Namely, XV: Nightmare and 35: Chaos. Both vastly unfinished but there is a lot to talk about there.

I was going to talk about my games but I’ve already spent 3 hours on this and I really need to go sleep. So maybe I’ll do them one at a time on some blog posts later.

/walloftextover

Alert: big post incoming

Bionicle Mafia 31: Mind Games

Rating: 3.5/10

The first Mafia game I played on BZPower was Bionicle Mafia 30: Eyewitness. Somehow, I managed to land myself a hosting spot for this game immediately afterwards, although I did co-host with Mayno (who has unfortunately disappeared). There are so many lessons that I have learned from this game; in fact, most of the advice I give people (especially when hosting their first game) is based upon my experience hosting this one. See, with Mind Games, almost every player had a role… I think there were like, seven villagers. They all had interlocking abilities; some killed, some saved, some investigated, some switched the targets of others, some prevented roles, some operated during the day, etc. It was extremely complicated, and there wasn’t a single player that fully understood the game. It was very hard to manage, and for the third round Mayno and I decided to turn everyone into Serial Killers just to end the game. All in all, disastrous.

Mafia III: The Cult

Rating: 7/10

My second attempt at hosting was during the Second Age. While the first game had no number, and the second game was 2.1, I screwed it up even more by switching to Roman Numerals. Whatever, I knew it would happen eventually (I win!). Overall I feel like this game went really well; it had some of my favorite scenes and I wish it made sense to visit the “Fortress Town” location outside of the Mafia III Saga. Unfortunately, the Cult, while a very successful addition, was also a very experimental one - and in this first attempt, there were a variety of unseen factors that hurt the enjoyment of several players. Fortunately, they were easily remedied….

Mafia III-2: The Cult Returns

Rating: 8/10

Because of this! I knew that nobody else would ever use the Cult in a game (well, aside from ShadowVezon under my influence for Live Free or Go Cult), so I decided to make a sequel to Mafia III. I also wanted to combine Roman and Arabic Numerals in the same title. In this one the Cult functioned far more smoothly, although the concept of players merely switching factions was difficult (especially since new Cultists could not be informed of who their allies were). I also felt that the “TF2” related roles functioned best here versus Cult Fortress.

Mafia III-3: Cult Fortress

Rating: 5/10

The sequel that nobody asked for! Well, people might have wanted it… I don’t really remember, honestly. A part of the Second Age that was hosted during the Third Age, this game suffered because I, halfway through, completely lost interest in it. Like, 100%. It was overly cluttered with different roles, and with very little variation from the first two games, I felt like I was repeating myself too many times in too little time. I also had a very convenient increase in school work around this time, making it easier for me to just drop it and leave it to die… which it did. I told myself that the Mafia III Saga (then just a trilogy) was done; of course, nobody can predict when the perfect idea for an experimental game might hit them.

Bionicle Mafia III: By the Numbers

Rating: 9/10

This is probably my second favorite game that I have hosted. As soon as I realized that the Third Age was using Roman Numerals, I knew that I had to host the third game; so I made a deal with Zakaro for him to delay his game so that I could do so. I really liked the twist, and most of the scenes I enjoy too (although a lot of them are actually very short, something I’d like to change for the sequel). The ending was also my favorite; the standoff between Lloyd and Zakaro at the end of the game was a lot of fun to write. Although I did make a rookie mistake halfway through, I think the game was still enjoyable for almost everyone (if the interest in a sequel is anything to judge by).

Mafia III-4: The Four Tribes

Rating: 9.5/10

And moving on to my favorite game out of the ones that I’ve hosted! For this one, I didn’t know at first that it would become a part of the Mafia III Saga; I simply designed a game where every player had a role and then came up with the “four tribes” idea… and since the Cult fit into that concept so well, I decided why not? Brand recognition is a thing, and people enjoyed the other Mafia III games. This one went very well, and it also went very quickly - I think it was only running for about three weeks before it ended. And while the details are unfortunately lost to me (just as it has been lost forever due to the hacking), the ending scene was apparently one of the best ever written… although I like to think that it was topped by the endings to both Bionicle Mafia IX and Bionicle Mafia X.

Bionicle Mafia IX: Sentinels of the Darkened Skies

Rating: 8/10

Yes, by the end, it was ruined. However, the fact that this game went so well up until the last two or so rounds cannot be denied. As the second part of a collaborative trilogy of games by myself and Portalfig known as the “Darkest Days Trilogy” to celebrate fifty games of BZP Mafia, I like to think it went mostly well. Originally designed as Bionicle Mafia IX: Sentinels of the Bloody Skies, I knew from the get-go that I wanted it to be darker and bloodier than most Mafia games, and I think I still succeeded. The Sentinels and the specialized Mafia were both experimental and I think they mostly went well, even if some of the Mafia roles were squandered by not being used. As for the debacle at the end… well, I won’t say anything, because I’d rather not re-ignite that fire. Just be careful when hosting what player plans you approve and which ones you don’t.

Bionicle Mafia X: Darkest Dawn

Rating: 7.5/10

First off: while Bionicle Mafia IX wins the award for “best cliffhanger in a Mafia game ever”, this game wins the award for best ending. Period. It cannot be denied. The ending to this game was an 8000 word behemoth written by yours truly that was so long that it needed to be split into two posts. Overall, this game went well; nothing exceptionally bad happened. The only problem is… nothing exceptionally good happened, either. Sure, the Mafia manipulated one of the Turaga. But overall, this game doesn’t leave much of an imprint on me. No especially daring moves were made; no sudden betrayals or alliance dominations. Nothing of real note happened. Add that to the roles Portalfig and I decided upon, which in retrospect I feel could have been far better. While I like the idea of the Plague Doctor (and wish it would be used more often), I feel like the roles are kind of jumbled. Perhaps, instead of trying to represent all of Mafia with the roles, we should have focused on making sure they were all streamlined and tied into a central theme instead. Oh well, the more you learn.

Bionicle Mafia 0.6: A Clockwork Void

Rating: 7.5/10

Aside from the fact that I totally ran out of time and thought I’d posted the ending when I actually hadn’t, I think this went well. Giving players something to do during the day scenes that included the risk of death was fun, as well as involving all of the players in the pathfinding that would either lead to death or allow them to survive, and a respawn system for those killed by roles. In reality, this game was actually a new concept of mine merely disguised as a Mafia game; I wanted to run a game just with that pathfinding stuff, but I unfortunately do not have the time to dedicate towards such a project.

The Future

Who knows what it holds? Well, at the moment, it would appear that the future holds Bionicle Mafia XVIII: By the Numbers 2 and the as-of-yet untitled Bionicle Mafia XIX… the latter does actually have a title, but I’ve been making sure to keep everything regarding that specific game a secret from you all. It’s something that Mafia needs very badly… so I don’t want to be beaten to the punch! I feel like both of these games have the potential to be amazing; however, we shall find out if that rings true when they are played.

Anyway, that’s my massive recap on the games that I’ve hosted. Now I’m going to not write anything for a little while. =P

• Upvote 2

Um, this may be, uh, a little early, but is it okay if I host the game after Ehcks's (he's been wanting to host XX), which is after Voltex's? I've kind of been wanting to for a while. And I might have an idea.

You wanna host XXI?

i'm fine with that

1Ydp0mg.jpg

yeaahhhhh This is exactly why we stopped calling things, alright?

so you can say you'd like to take that, but I feel it'd be best to still take a vote each time, just to be sure that A: The person interested is still interested and active and B: Nobody feels like they'd have to wait 3, 4 games and therefore practically 6 months to try and host a game. 

Zakaro

• Upvote 5

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

I don't approve of all these callings

)=<

Seconded. How about we discuss it once the games are actually in the near future? :3

(like, 2 games earlier is okay, if you must. 10, 100 or more ist just ridiculous and IMO a bit unfair. :/ )

E: closed the brackets ^^"

Edited by Fairy Knight

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Hooray awards.

Anyway, I suppose I'm ok with special instances for hosting games due to name coincidence (Ehks having "XX," for instance), but outside of that, I really, really think we should just cease calling games...entirely.

At the end of Quisoves' and Burn's current games, let's hold votes, either on this topic or on the game topics, for who will host the next title. It forces the people who will host to actually be active (something that's plagued recent games), and only the people who actually want to host at that time will apply, as oppose to someone thinking it would be cool to host several months ago, and then not being quite so motivated for it by the time their slot rolls around.

-MT

XPufEB3.png?1