Dawn of a New Era?

I may be a little late to the party, but I really hope the return of Bionicle doesn't affect the community like Reach and Halo 4 did. Instead of appeasing both the old fans and the younger ones, Reach and 4 caused the community to split and become highly polarized...hence the Reach forum.

Lego shouldn't try to tailor to two different audiences. Back in 2001, everyone was in the same boat, regardless of age, and experienced the launch of a massively popular toy line. Thirteen years later, there will probably be yet another situation similar to this, except now "veterans" will be there.

At the very worst, we "veterans" won't feel the same sense of mystery because we have already experienced it and have the nostalgia to prove it. And we might even view new Bionicle as "dumbed-down". But we can still guide the new fans, because they will be bound to have questions about the story.

• Upvote 1

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I may be a little late to the party, but I really hope the return of Bionicle doesn't affect the community like Reach and Halo 4 did. Instead of appeasing both the old fans and the younger ones, Reach and 4 caused the community to split and become highly polarized...hence the Reach forum.

Lego shouldn't try to tailor to two different audiences. Back in 2001, everyone was in the same boat, regardless of age, and experienced the launch of a massively popular toy line. Thirteen years later, there will probably be yet another situation similar to this, except now "veterans" will be there.

At the very worst, we "veterans" won't feel the same sense of mystery because we have already experienced it and have the nostalgia to prove it. And we might even view new Bionicle as "dumbed-down". But we can still guide the new fans, because they will be bound to have questions about the story.

you make an excellent case. I guess you're right. No matter what form it makes the return in, Bionicle is still coming back! We should rejoice that it's happening at all, instead of complaining about how it does or doesn't turn out. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I wonder what even defines a veteran...

I've been with BIONICLE since the very first Lego Mania Magazine promo pic featuring Onua. I pull imaginary rank on all of you :P

- Heir

We all survived Bionicle's five-year hiatus and we're still here preparing for it's return.

I'd say that makes everyone who fought for Bionicle's return a veteran. 

(Since Toa are fighters, and we're now veterans, I guess that makes us Turaga. So depending on how you choose to see it, we've all been promoted, or demoted).

• Upvote 2

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I've been with BIONICLE since the very first Lego Mania Magazine promo pic featuring Onua. I pull imaginary rank on all of you :P

- Heir

We all survived Bionicle's five-year hiatus and we're still here preparing for it's return.

I'd say that makes everyone who fought for Bionicle's return a veteran. 

(Since Toa are fighters, and we're now veterans, I guess that makes us Turaga. So depending on how you choose to see it, we've all been promoted, or demoted).

Here's an idea, classify all the ancients here from Bionicle 1.0 as 'Turaga Members'.

Actually no, that would just create the divisions feared in this thread :P

As has been alluded to, I think how well a new generation of members will get on with the existing crowd will depend heavily on how good the new Bionicle is. If it's good, then we'll be united in geeky praise. If it's bad, a divide might be inevitable.

• Upvote 1

A divide between new fans and old fans is only going to occur if we, the old fans, allow it to occur.

In my case, "new fans" includes basically everyone after 2006, so I want to testify that peaceful co-existence is possible ;)

- Heir

• Upvote 1

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

- Heir

I'm probably the lowest of you all... I've only been a fan since late 2007 :P

A divide between new fans and old fans is only going to occur if we, the old fans, allow it to occur.

In my case, "new fans" includes basically everyone after 2006, so I want to testify that peaceful co-existence is possible ;)

- Heir

Yeah... that's me :D

Edited by Jakura Nuva

Whilst I agree with a LOT of what people are saying in this thread, I do not agree with changing the front page. Perhaps update the info at the side but I find the front page to be easy to navigate and use and I did when I first joined as well- everything was presented there for me to find easy as pie. I could take it in as I pleased and wasn't guided in a certain direction. I liked having the freedom of going where I wanted next and I do think that changing the front page will cause some confusion and perhaps a bit of difficulty for new members.

If someone is curious about the franchise they should be able to come into it and explore it as they wish- like exploring the Wiki. I'm not sure how we would redue the front page but I wouldn't want it to change very much from it's original orientation. Perhaps update the visuals but leave the format as is- it's ripe for exploration and fueling of curiosity. Re

EDIT: Recently I posted saying the opposite of this and it's worth saying that I have learned a lot about code over the last month and now realize exactly how much of a hazard the un-updated code is. It's a backdoor to the site and we need to update and maintain it if BIONICLE is coming back. We'll be an easy lunch for hackers if we don't.

Edited by Hawkeye
  • Upvote 1

I don't think an anti-genwunner force is really assembling. We're mainly expressing concern that we may experience what other fandoms have experienced. We already did experience something like that to an extent when HF came out. I myself don't defend HF's story anymore. Of course, the main reason I ever defended it was because when I was doing so, HF wasn't even released yet.

The best way to prevent an anti-genwunner backlash is for potential genwunners to think without nostalgia goggles. The main reason there was backlash against those who don't like HF was mainly because of that initial group who didn't even give HF a chance. By the time HF actually came out and we were able to judge it for ourselves, the stubborn "let's storm Denmark" crowd that we had satirized so often had become the stereotype. That may be avoided in this case, since unlike HF, a BIONICLE return would probably be faced with the opposite of what HF received. In other words, whereas HF had to overcome the hurdle of angry BIONICLE fans, BIONICLE would likely face undiluted premature praise. Once the honeymoon ends, however, there is still a risk of genwunners longing for the old days. The question is, "How many and how fervent will these supposed genwunners be?"

• Upvote 1
How well will you die?

- Heir

I'm probably the lowest of you all... I've only been a fan since late 2007 :P

- Heir

Yeah... that's me :D

I'm even lower. I found out about Bionicle in 2009. My first set was Raanu. XD

Ninjago.

That is all.

I've said this time and again, but if there was a new Bionicle show and it was at least as mature and... well, tactful as Ninjago, as opposed to, say, Chima, then great! That's all I need it to be, and there's no reason we shouldn't EXPECT it to be that good, or be sorely disappointed if it isn't, especially considering that, well, Ninjago is ultimately "just" a kid's show, too.

We don't discuss Ninjago much here, though. Maybe that should tell us something?

Anyway, I don't think we can gauge the amount of "nostalgia backlash" (ie genwunners), because I think most of the people prone to that are not regular posters here now. Most people I've seen around here have moved on to more current themes or are discussing new Red Star stuff or both. I've seen a few "2001-03 was the only good Bionicle" posts in passing, but not the standard rank-and-file posters. It seems that most of the rank-and-file aren't interested in entertaining that discussion, and so it dies.

It's possible that an increase in activity may condense such opinions into a movement, but I have to question whether or not it will actually stick. Given that the newbs will likely outnumber them, and their discussion is mostly counterproductive (rejecting information from the new Bionicle as bad, as opposed to embracing it as a topic for discussion) it may collapse. Due to both of these facts, I don't think it's a serious threat. 

• Upvote 1

Once the honeymoon ends, however, there is still a risk of genwunners longing for the old days.

Ironically, my longing for the good old days is less vehement now then it was back IN the good old days!

It's my belief that this really comes down to we-the-people policing ourselves and not repeating what happened with Hero Factory.

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

Ninjago.

That is all.

I've said this time and again, but if there was a new Bionicle show and it was at least as mature and... well, tactful as Ninjago, as opposed to, say, Chima, then great! That's all I need it to be, and there's no reason we shouldn't EXPECT it to be that good, or be sorely disappointed if it isn't, especially considering that, well, Ninjago is ultimately "just" a kid's show, too.

We don't discuss Ninjago much here, though. Maybe that should tell us something?

What it tells me is that we don't do enough to encourage Ninjago fans to join the site and participate in discussion. Ninjago is huge. Someone recently pointed me towards Google Trends to compare search volume for Hero Factory with search volume for BIONICLE. For the most part, BIONICLE dominates. But when you throw Ninjago into the mix, well... see for yourself. In April 2011 there was twice as much search volume for Ninjago as for Hero Factory and BIONICLE combined. In December 2011, search volume for Ninjago surpassed search volume for BIONICLE from any month since at least the start of 2004. In December 2012 there was FIVE TIMES as much search volume for Ninjago than for those two themes. Clearly there's a MASSIVE amount of interest in Ninjago, yet on this site discussion of Ninjago is dwarfed by discussion of constraction themes.

I don't anticipate this being as much of a problem when BIONICLE comes back — after all, it's always defined the interests of this site's users, no matter how many ways we've attempted to branch out. But it should make us a bit wary of the future. If this site couldn't capitalize on interest in the theme that in its very first year was promoted as "LEGO's biggest new initiative since BIONICLE!", who's to say new BIONICLE fans will want to come here for discussion when so many other places exist for LEGO discussion in general? Even our main page is a relic.

I'd like to think we're going to be able to stand the test of time, but never forget that Lugnet is only a couple years older than us. Once upon a time, it was basically the central hub of the online LEGO fan community. Now it's almost completely irrelevant. BZPower, thankfully, has done a much better job keeping with the times than they have. Let's do our best to keep that up.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I was randomly browsing YouTube when I saw the news of Bionicle's potential return. Yes!

I think since new fans will probably be psyched over the rich history of Bionicle tha they will discover, old and new fans of Bionicle will unite.

Edited by Solus_Nui

I was randomly browsing YouTube when I saw the news of Bionicle's potential return. Yes!

I think since new fans will probably be psyched over the rich history of Bionicle tha they will discover, old and new fans of Bionicle will unite.

Let's hope that they do discover this history first. As the old fans we could help them with that. If they never really get into the history that "unification" might not work out.

phauxxblack2.jpg

Ninjago.

That is all.

What it tells me is that we don't do enough to encourage Ninjago fans to join the site and participate in discussion. Ninjago is huge. Someone recently pointed me towards Google Trends to compare search volume for Hero Factory with search volume for BIONICLE. For the most part, BIONICLE dominates. But when you throw Ninjago into the mix, well... see for yourself. In April 2011 there was twice as much search volume for Ninjago as for Hero Factory and BIONICLE combined. In December 2011, search volume for Ninjago surpassed search volume for BIONICLE from any month since at least the start of 2004. In December 2012 there was FIVE TIMES as much search volume for Ninjago than for those two themes. Clearly there's a MASSIVE amount of interest in Ninjago, yet on this site discussion of Ninjago is dwarfed by discussion of constraction themes.

I don't anticipate this being as much of a problem when BIONICLE comes back — after all, it's always defined the interests of this site's users, no matter how many ways we've attempted to branch out. But it should make us a bit wary of the future. If this site couldn't capitalize on interest in the theme that in its very first year was promoted as "LEGO's biggest new initiative since BIONICLE!", who's to say new BIONICLE fans will want to come here for discussion when so many other places exist for LEGO discussion in general? Even our main page is a relic.

I'd like to think we're going to be able to stand the test of time, but never forget that Lugnet is only a couple years older than us. Once upon a time, it was basically the central hub of the online LEGO fan community. Now it's almost completely irrelevant. BZPower, thankfully, has done a much better job keeping with the times than they have. Let's do our best to keep that up.

What do you think, though, Aanchir? Do you feel that Ninjago is an adequate measuring stick for the quality of new Lego media to be compared to? Like, say, a Bionicle show?

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Ninjago.

That is all.

What do you think, though, Aanchir? Do you feel that Ninjago is an adequate measuring stick for the quality of new Lego media to be compared to? Like, say, a Bionicle show?

Yes, I'd definitely be happy with a new BIONICLE series that is of that caliber!

Now, if the new BIONICLE is consistent with the old in a lot of its core respects, there will still be major differences from Ninjago. For instance, a lot of Ninjago episodes deal with themes of family, which would be harder to work with in a series where most of the characters aren't biologically related and don't go through the same stages of "growing up" as we do. Also, some jokes and storylines related to real life outside the BIONICLE universe would not work so well because, again, the characters aren't humans living in a familiar-looking world and don't have really the same routines, culture, and technology as us. But generally I think new BIONICLE media would be great if it can measure up to Ninjago.

• Upvote 1

I think the answer to this question lies in something we don't know yet - the nature of the new BIONICLE franchise. If it's a watered-down version, as I suspect it may be, we may end up with something like the HF message board on the LEGO official boards, but with the occasional group of old fans discussing Old!BIONICLE. If it's actually as good as the BIONICLE we all know and love, or at least at the caliber of pre-Rebooted Ninjago, which I doubt but hope for with all my heart, then the forums will just become a lot larger and a lot more active (About what they were before, perhaps a bit less), which would be great.

Edited by Tanu Toa of Earth
toatanusignature.png

I don't think it matters whether Bionicle 2015 is dumbed down or not. It's completely irrelevant to one fundamental fact: we are still a community of Bionicle fans. The new fans will find us, one way or another, because we're the biggest fansite out there. We need to be welcoming to them, no matter what form the new Bionicle takes. The new fans will be fans of the new Bionicle, so we can't go slamming it or them if we expect them to stay as part of our community. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think it matters whether Bionicle 2015 is dumbed down or not. It's completely irrelevant to one fundamental fact: we are still a community of Bionicle fans. The new fans will find us, one way or another, because we're the biggest fansite out there. We need to be welcoming to them, no matter what form the new Bionicle takes. The new fans will be fans of the new Bionicle, so we can't go slamming it or them if we expect them to stay as part of our community. 

If new Bionicle sucks and people tell me not to say that for the sake of "keeping the community together", it's gonna be a rough time on BZPower for everyone involved.

• Upvote 7

If new Bionicle sucks and people tell me not to say that for the sake of "keeping the community together", it's gonna be a rough time on BZPower for everyone involved.

There's no excuse for not being able to point out flaws the new Bionicle might have. Now the new fans who are coming into our community may disagree, and they have every right to, but that doesn't mean that we don't have the right to post our views as well. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, something tells me that ain't gonna work. If that were to happen, best case scenario is that the old guard ditches this place because BIONICLE is dead to them, leaving this place to those who do like it. Worst case scenario is that we have the second round of the BIONICLE vs. Hero Factory: BIONICLE Sr. vs. Jr.

Edited by LewaLew
  • Upvote 1
How well will you die?

That wasn't quite what I meant. I was referring more to people hating on the new members because they're fans of the new Bionicle. If the new Bionicle completely sucks, no one's stopping you from saying it, just say it in a way that doesn't come across as a personal attack on the new members, who never experienced the old Bionicle. Better yet, why not introduce the new members to the old Bionicle and see what they think of it? 

There's no excuse for not being able to point out flaws the new Bionicle might have. Now the new fans who are coming into our community may disagree, and they have every right to, but that doesn't mean that we don't have the right to post our views as well. 

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say we can't make our opinions known, I meant we shouldn't be complete tools in doing it. I missed out on the HF/Bionicle hate fest, but I hear it was pretty bad. I don't want to see a repeat of that. If the new Bionicle has faults, then feel free to discuss them. I certainly plan to. But treat it as constructive criticism rather than a condemnation. 

Yeah, something tells me that ain't gonna work. If that were to happen, best case scenario is that the old guard ditches this place because BIONICLE is dead to them, leaving this place to those who do like it. Worst case scenario is that we have the second round of the BIONICLE vs. Hero Factory: BIONICLE Sr. vs. Jr.

I'm not sure about that... There still seem to be a lot of people here, even though Bionicle was gone for four years. I don't know if a B1/B2 war would necessarily be worse than all of the old Bionicle fans leaving the website. I think the community will still survive. 

or just have some discussion about the pros and cons of the new series like how we've been having generally solid discussion about the old line. (like, yeah some people will prefer the old line in some respects, but like, with how much smaller the community has become i don't think there'd be that level of animosity again unless we got a super-influx of new members who are super-super passionate about the old line and decry everything in the new line with disrespectful rhetoric, but we have mods and staff to deal with that if it were to happen). 

no reason why old fans and new fans can't chat about it together and act within the rules, even if they prolly won't see eye to eye on every subject. 

People have all these expectations for remakes/reboots/revivals of their favorite things. Some people here want to experience 2001 again when we've seen that already, and some want to continue the pretentiously serious, convoluted story of Bionicle's last years. These people are going to be let down when Lego inevitably fails to please everyone. This is the biggest problem with Bionicle coming back now. We've got to remember that Bionicle isn't just for us anymore. Yes, Lego wouldn't be bringing it back if they didn't think there were any old fans left, but many of the people who liked it in the past don't care anymore. Lego needs to focus on a new audience. It's going to be different, so hopefully it doesn't get that much hate for that.

That said, if it sucks, it sucks. What are you gonna do? Besides that happening I think this place will be fine. If Bionicle takes off again, it'll just a be a little bit louder around here. I wonder if new members will be into pixel comics.

hamster.gif

Sprite Kit Archive

For all of your comic-making needs!

or just have some discussion about the pros and cons of the new series like how we've been having generally solid discussion about the old line. (like, yeah some people will prefer the old line in some respects, but like, with how much smaller the community has become i don't think there'd be that level of animosity again unless we got a super-influx of new members who are super-super passionate about the old line and decry everything in the new line with disrespectful rhetoric, but we have mods and staff to deal with that if it were to happen). 

no reason why old fans and new fans can't chat about it together and act within the rules, even if they prolly won't see eye to eye on every subject. 

I was under the assumption that he was discussing what happens if a BIONICLE reboot proves heavily disappointing to the majority of the old fans. I highly doubt that if someone doesn't enjoy it that they will stay. The scenario you suggested is what I would hope for, but I don't think that the old guard will stay if they don't like  the potential changes to BIONICLE. After all, why talk about something you don't enjoy? (unless you're complaining constantly, which would result in that worst-case scenario)

• Upvote 1
How well will you die?

I was under the assumption that he was discussing what happens if a BIONICLE reboot proves heavily disappointing to the majority of the old fans. I highly doubt that if someone doesn't enjoy it that they will stay. The scenario you suggested is what I would hope for, but I don't think that the old guard will stay if they don't like  the potential changes to BIONICLE. After all, why talk about something you don't enjoy?

Many members weren't happy with the changes made to Bionicle in 2006, and more weren't happy with the arrival of Hero Factory in 2010. But a considerable number of older members have stuck around all the same. Even if the Bionicle return disappoints, I don't think it'll make a big dent in the older member population.

Edited by Sir Kohran

I'm confident that we can still all get along together. We shouldn't be worrying about all of this. I think we should be delighting in the fact that Bionicle is coming back in the first place, and concern ourselves with how good/bad/nostalgic it is when we get more information. 

Besides, the Bionicle community has been through a lot worse than this before. Bionicle ended, and the community hung on. 

Bionicle's return sure as Karzahni isn't going to break us. 

I would expect that, if it's a reboot rather than a continuation, some stuff is going to be changed for the plot.  Otherwise, new fans could very easily have it spoiled for them.  I don't even mean being told spoilers by a veteran, but just by looking up, say, "Tahu", they will find later story details.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

I would expect that, if it's a reboot rather than a continuation, some stuff is going to be changed for the plot.  Otherwise, new fans could very easily have it spoiled for them.  I don't even mean being told spoilers by a veteran, but just by looking up, say, "Tahu", they will find later story details.

In that case, it'll be exciting for everyone! Old-timers won't say "Yeah, I watched this happen more than a decade ago," and they'll get to see how the plot deviates from the original.

Morally unambiguous.

If that happens, I will gladly start a topic comparing the old plot with the new one.

~W.12.~

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

I've see a few arguments against this, but think we still need to update the front page, though. Back in BZ's hayday, it was great, and it's nostalgic now, but it isn't going to bring in many new fans. I think when the new Bionicle comes out, we need to update it with images of the new Bionicle, so that new fans will actually recognise it for what it is. I daresay that new fans who don't even know Bionicle lasted a decade before HF will look at our frontpage and be confused by all of the unfamiliar imagery with the name Bionicle on top.

Plus, I'm pretty sure someone said that the front page is horribly out of date and a weak spot if someone tried to hack us. If that is the case, and Bionicle makes this site a big focal point for discussion again, then there's a higher incentive for trolls to try and hack us. Let's avoid that problem, shall we? 

I still argue against a reboot. It has to be either a stylised continuation (time-skip?) or a retelling of some kind (probably unofficially set in an alternate universe). 

• Upvote 2

Can I quote this in my sig? Edited by Jakura Nuva

I've see a few arguments against this, but think we still need to update the front page, though. Back in BZ's hayday, it was great, and it's nostalgic now, but it isn't going to bring in many new fans. I think when the new Bionicle comes out, we need to update it with images of the new Bionicle, so that new fans will actually recognise it for what it is. I daresay that new fans who don't even know Bionicle lasted a decade before HF will look at our frontpage and be confused by all of the unfamiliar imagery with the name Bionicle on top.

Plus, I'm pretty sure someone said that the front page is horribly out of date and a weak spot if someone tried to hack us. If that is the case, and Bionicle makes this site a big focal point for discussion again, then there's a higher incentive for trolls to try and hack us. Let's avoid that problem, shall we? 

I still argue against a reboot. It has to be either a stylised continuation (time-skip?) or a retelling of some kind (probably unofficially set in an alternate universe).

I think the best option regarding the front page would be to fix all the broken parts, then make a new layout, but still have the option of using the classic layout (That is if it can be secured from hacking attempts) .
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

sense were on the talk about the main page i might as well say that i realized that there r 2 sign up buttons and 2 sign in buttons i thought it was weird but yeah..... :???:  and my computer seems to close the enternet browser when i hit the 1s that r at the top middle of the home page.

I think the best option regarding the front page would be to fix all the broken parts, then make a new layout, but still have the option of using the classic layout (That is if it can be secured from hacking attempts) .

i ment to add this to my other comment but i didn't know how cause im such a noob :P  sorry if there r some cofusion with my comments. ok i take that back? it fixed it for me :???:

Edited by willbgamer

Pink squids are royalty.

i kind of made this when i was bored hope you guys like it

didn't you know!?!

meme96abeebfddc6ac4a.jpg